Cover Image: Malibu Burning

Malibu Burning

This is the story of the Woolsey Fire of 2018 in Malibu California. The story is written by a resident of the Malibu who experienced the fires first hand. He originally wrote and Op. Ed. piece for the local paper, but was convinced that he should tell the story of the fire from the viewpoint of residents and those who took a stand to fight the fires when firefighters did not show up, or sat on the side of the road, content with evacuating residents. You hear from those who saved their own and their neighbour's homes. People who were involved in keeping ver 600 students on Pepperdine College Grounds safe as the fire raged around them. There are stories from residents who had trained to be Call FireFighters and raised money for their own engine, that was then commandeered and not available to save their own homes and many more. I was shocked to read about the poisons and possible radiation that was released in this fire.

This book takes you into the hearts and minds of those who fought for their lives while the world watched Malibu Burning. It reminds me of the last non-fiction story I read, The Last Plane in the Sky also told in stories from people who were there. The book is written in an easy to read manner and was a quick and interesting read. I read it in one day as I was very quickly invested in the various stories. It is well written and worth a read if you are interested in fire fighting, Hollywood, climate-related disasters or just an informative and interesting non-fiction story. I recommend this book to anyone with any of the aforementioned interests.
A well-written account of the Malibu fires of 2018 by a resident of Malibu.

Its filled with stories about everyday heroes who saved so many houses and lives during the awful events.

The author explains how and where the fires started and goes through each person's tale with photos and great writing.

What struck me was the fact that the authorities who were supposed to help the people on the ground were so reluctant to assist.

What was heartening to read was that instead of blindly pointing fingers the author went and interviewed the authorities who were prepared to speak to him and get their insights and opinions too.

I found the neutral way he evaluated failures on both sides - homeowners and authorities - well laid out and refreshing to read. Not many who went through what he did would have been able to put it into words so wonderfully.

All in all, a good read - a kind of wake up call to all to get to know your neighbours and to have each others' backs and stand together. Regardless of what the situation is bearing down on you. There is strength in numbers.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me the opportunity to read this book.
A powerful non fiction account of the devastating Malibu fires. You learn of the extraordinary efforts of one family to save their home and how countless others were abandon by fire crews and left to try to save their homes.  You will see how due to the hillside housing and farms many homes and animals were lost. This is a honest heart wrenching account of this terrible fire.  Particularly disturbing was the fact that some  firemen were seen sitting in their trucks in air conditioning talking on cell phones letting the fire burn .  The people noted here are giving a honest account, one that we do  not hear on the news and one everyone should read.  After the fire the devastation left behind will affect these families and first responders for years to come. This is their story .
Well written text about a few of the people and communities who either alone or in teams did their best to save as many homes as possible throughout the Woolsey Fire. The narrative was both engaging and engrossing.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for providing a copy of this book to read and review.  Opinions expressed in the review are my own.
This nonfiction book about the 2018 Malibu fires was really interesting. There was quite a bit of background information given about previous fires, such as the Corral Fires of 2007 and the fact that the area had a major fire every 10 years. One of the main causes of the devastation of the Malibu Fires where Robert Kerbeck lived was the Santa Ana winds, which caused the fire/flames to jump the famous 101 freeway to the other side, engulfing homes in flames.

Robert and his son Davis almost lost their lives fighting the flames because there were no firemen available to fight in their neighborhood due to other fires. So the "accidental firefighters" were children who used garden hoses and older people who used buckets of water. Robert's wife Gardia even YouTubed how to firefight; however, eventually the flames were too much.

Many famous people were mentioned in the book so that was interesting too, especially if one is into the rich and famous.

NetGalley provided a copy for me to read and review. All opinions are mine.
A real encounter of a deadly situation that has lasting consequences for all those involved.
My issue comes with the fact that many expect the government to fund for the rebuild and reinvestment into territories that are marked for disaster.
Folks, there comes a time when we must face facts. The ecosystem is one of those facts. Global warming and climate change is reality.
These Santa Ana winds , these earthquakes, these fragile systems such as the power grids are reality and cannot be denied.
It's with concern for lives that I ask why are we allowing the government to bail them out when they are ignoring the abhorrent risks such as these mud slides, flooding, and wildfires.
I live near a river but not in a flood prone area. The idea that anyone would rebuild knowing the risk of life is beyond my comprehension.
Those who stay are staying against the orders of mother nature. This is not fake news. This is the new norm and will only escalate.
Are these memories worth lives?
Are these priceless homes built on the sides of dangerous cliffs worth a life?
Are these priceless artifacts, collectibles, and memorabilia worth it?
We must face it that we cannot protect everyone at every time. The fire departments are inundated with those going against the rules. This puts their lives at risk as well as those they vow to protect and serve.
When is enough ...ENOUGH?!
My brother lives in California. He went there to escape the cold winters back north in Pennsylvania with hopes of higher salaried careers.
He graduated from Brown University and lives near LA working for solar energy companies.
However, when he first moved out there he had a heck of a time securing employment in a swapped area of Silicone Valley folks hoping for a miracle.
I couldn't ever be part of that landscape especially knowing so many are suffering on Skid Row.
I hope this is the wake up call that many Californians need to see through the extent of the dangers that they are facing now and in the future.
My heart goes out but they must stay safe and think clearly that property can be replaced lives cannot!
When it is snowy and cold outside, superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

Malibu is known as an earthly paradise of multi-million-dollar mansions, movie stars and unimaginable natural beauty. But all that changed on November 8, 2018.

Go deep behind the scenes of the most destructive wildfire in Los Angeles history. Alongside his wife and son, Robert Kerbeck battled the fire that threatened to take their home. He knows first-hand how the Malibu fires affected everyone – from the rich and famous to the firefighters who often risked their lives.

Blending investigative journalism and personal memoir, Malibu Burning brings you on the dramatic, life-threatening journey of real people fighting 2,000-degree flames to save entire neighbourhoods.

You’ll also read:

- How the massive blaze affected Julia Roberts, Bob Dylan, Nick Nolte, and other celebrities.
- Hundreds of interviews with perspectives of locals ranging from the Deputy Fire Chief and Malibu City Council members to residents who fought to defend their homes.
- How people survived this tragedy through courage, kindness and unified cooperation.

I knew that would not be part of our library but I wanted to read it for personal reasons - and I bought a copy for my aunt in California to read. Whenever we hear of wildfires we think of Jean and look at the map and see if the fires are near her.  I have a bit of knowledge about this fire from watching one of my guilty pleasure TV shows "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" and seeing how it affected two of the wives. (Don't get me started on Camille and her saving her Wyeth...lol).

The book is written in a newsy manner and was a quick (very quick for me) but interesting read. It is well written and worth a read if you are interested in fire fighting, Hollywood, climate-related disasters (it rains about once every five years in some parts of Cali) or just an interesting read. I get clients asking for "interesting reads" all the time .. I will send them to this book.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter..get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🧯 🧯 🧯 🧯 🧯