Cover Image: Color Harmony for Artists

Color Harmony for Artists

Nice learning resource if you are a novice artist or just starting out with painting. I already knew this info so did not get as much out of it as I hooed to, but still recommend for those just starting out.
This book focuses mainly on color techniques with watercolor painting. You can certainly apply the color harmony principles to other art or design projects, but watercolor painters will benefit most here. The author shows you how to make vibrant and deep colors with watercolors, and even create watercolor takes on famous works of art (Monet, Mondrian) made in other media.

This book is accessible enough for older children, while still having plenty to keep an adult occupied as well. Order a set of watercolors and add this to your quarantine queue!

Thanks to the publishers and NetGalley for a digital ARC for the purpose of an unbiased review.
A beautiful book filled with vivid colours and lovely paintings. The author has taken a photo, showed the palette she created and then a painting inspired by the photo. Unfortunately for me there is not enough information on exact colours, or techniques used, or tools and brushes used.
It covers  the basics of colour theory, the process of getting inspired by colours and does give ideas and inspirations with colour palettes to explore.
It’s a good book for beginners that helps with the process of getting inspiration and where to start from. But if you want a more technical book, this isn’t it.
An excellence balance of theory, practical advice and inspiration for watercolour painting.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the chance to read an advance digital copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Such a great, fun reference book. I'm sure I'll refer to this again and again both in my coloring and in my watercolors.

Many thanks to the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for my ARC. All opinions are my own.
A great resource for artists, especially watercolorists looking for inspiration. Calderon shows examples of photographs, embroidery swatches, etc., and then breaks them each down into their color elements, and includes an example painting she has created with that color palette. You'll start to see colors everywhere. This is not a book for beginners--she doesn't have a how-to-paint introduction--but those with a basic knowledge of painting will find it very useful.
Informative book on colour swatching photographs in watercolour paint.  Taken a wide selection of images the colour is dissected into paint swatches.  Good book for teaching 1. looking at the colours in a photo and 2. recreating these in paint.
A very handy book for understanding the color wheel. As a watercolor artist, I found it to be highly useful.
As I read this book, I really liked the idea of swatches/mini paintings very much but overall the book felt like it took the idea almost too far with so many pages of color swatches -- and although some of the paintings included were very inspirational, others seemed too simplistic.  At the same time it did not feel there was enough detail included to try and recreate a similar set of swatches.  Perhaps that was the point, to bring the reader to create on their own, but as implemented it left a feeling of missing something with no specific information on the color mixes shown.
This is a great book to add to any artist’s collection.  It provides guidance for beginners and advanced artists. There are easy to follow instructions to get you started.
Touching base on the basics of color pallets and how to use them to compliment one another this book went on to show beautiful color pallets and their inspirations. Showing you how to draw inspiration from the world around you. I thought this was so inventive and beautiful.
I read the ARC provided to me by the publisher through Netgalley.

I'm a web designer in search to understand colors better. So I try to read on color as much as possible, and one of the hardest things for me is to create a color palette for my designs. When I saw this book I was hopeful I would get some tips and tricks on how to do that, or maybe a better understanding of what to look for in a palette. While there is some interesting information in it and it did give me an 'aha' moment at some point, it doesn't offer much in terms of technique.

There is a quick overview of the color wheel, and that's where I had the 'aha' moment as I read something I had never thought of before. But after that, the artist created a series of palettes based on various images. It's a good source for inspiration, but I feel like I would like more information on why she picked each color for each palette, at least more than "warm colors" and "cool colors".
★★★☆☆ | Play with colours and let them inspire you

Honestly, this review has been in my drafts for some time now.

I don't really have that much to say about this book?

It had all the basics of watercolours covered so you can start off with it with no prior knowledge and as a beginner, it's always good to go through it once again.

But!

It's just not very close to my art style.

I had a lot of paintings to chose from when I was writing the review of my last art book and while I like the idea of getting inspired by colours and the quick tour of the colour used in various art styles -- my art process is just not there yet.

I think this book would gain a lot if the author said a word or two on the techniques she was using as well because if this is aimed at beginners (I assume since it started with the basics) -- then it's important to know where to start from.

As an inspiration, it's certainly interesting and would be helpful to many struggling with art block or just trying to get better with colour composition.

(Provided they 'click' with the art style or are okay with and have the time for exploring)

I'll update if I try out this process.
The author did a great job of showing how palettes can be created from other inspirations such as pictures, nature, art, etc. The book does not so give much on the way of techniques but mostly colors and combinations to create palettes.

I was provided with an electronic ARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This was a very good book for understanding how to look at objects and paint what you feel. It doesn’t have to be an exact copy of what you see, it can be just one small portion of the whole picture. I love how she gave examples at beautiful scenery or animals but painted what spoke to her. I really need to remember this because it's hard to push myself to paint or draw when I get inspired because I feel required to portray everything I see. I don’t need to do that. I can just capture the color, texture, or one item and use it to inspire me.

This book also discusses the breakdown of color schemes and color temperatures. This is important for understanding how to really make paintings pop and look natural. I also love that she discussed the different styles of art throughout the centuries and how it can teach you different things.

Overall, I enjoyed this perspective on painting and will be referring back to this book in the future.

*ARC provided by Netgalley for an honest review.*
This book provided great examples of different moods you can create just by changing the colors of the same painting.  The examples she provided were different from what I have seen in other color theory books.

The book provides the same information on color theory that you find in the majority of color books. This is a good painting reference book if you do not already have one.

I received this galley from NetGalley.
Good for those who want to learn more on colour theory and colour combinations. Take part of an painting or photograph and repaints it in the combinations (shows swatch above image). Really nice if you want to know what colours can be used well together.
When it is snowy and cold outside, superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

Explore and create expressive palettes and paintings with Color Harmony for Artists.

Watercolour author, artist, and teacher Ana Victoria Calderon guides you through choosing, mixing, and using colour with watercolour and mixed media to create the most expressive and appealing combinations and effects for a wide range of moods and subjects. You'll explore a variety of subjects and themes, including flowers, foliage, landscapes, skies, cities, figures, art movements, and historical eras.

Begin with a quick overview of the basics of colour, colour mixing, and mixed media. Explore a variety of colour and media combinations, including brilliant brights, muted neutrals, high-contrast complements, and special effects. Find inspiration in evocative photos, abundant palettes, and beautiful paintings.
With Color Harmony for Artists, every artist, from beginner to advanced, will be inspired to embrace the creative possibilities of colour and paint!

This is a beautiful book that is already in our library - if you ever want to work in watercolours or learn about colour harmony and contrasting this is the perfect book to read.  It is well written and perfect illustrations are an inspiration for artists of all skill levels.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🎨🎨🎨🎨
A feast for the eyes.  It is very helpful to have examples of color palettes and there were so many great ones.
I found this not only very colourful but a very interesting concept of mixing watercolours.  The book starts with a chapter on colour theory and then goes onto to talk about an inspired  palette using visual inspirations such photos, surroundings, lighting, culture colour influence, and lots ore to become familiar with making new colours and capturing the senses.
There are some very interesting techniques and beautiful examples to wet ones appetite for colour.