Let's Explore Bread!

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jan 2020

When it is snowy and cold outside (and my car is buried under 2ft of ❄️ ), superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

Naan, sourdough, rye, pita . . . bread takes different flavours and forms all around the world. Experiment with yeast to learn why it makes bread rise, see how to knead bread, and follow a simple recipe to make your own loaf.

Well, THAT is a short description for a book: but it is a cute little 24-page book. This is a great way to get kids into the kitchen and to try to make some bread. I am pretty sure that even I can make bread after reading this - I am a horrible baker but I am guessing that even I can do it now.  It is well written and the instructions make sense: read this booklet and have some fun! (note that I did not say buy as $8USD/$11CAD is a lot of dough for 24 pages...pun intended!)

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🍞🍞🍞
Let's Explore Bread! written by Jill Colella is a great book for kids interested in learning how bread is made. This book is geared towards 4 to 8 year old readers and the grade level is P - 2. Originally I was going to call this a cookbook, but really it is so much more. There are experiments in this book - such as Yeast in Action which is an activity to show the readers how yeast is a living thing. The question and answers in this book are also geared perfectly for this age group. I thought the question - Why do you say bake bread instead of cook bread? was interesting even for adults!

Out of 5 simple ingredients; flour, water, yeast, salt and oil she shows us how to make different types of bread. The photography to supplement the content was colorful and engaging. And as an added bonus, there is a QR code in the back of the book to take you to a video for additional learning and understanding.

Let's Explore Bread! is an easy to understand book put in an easy format for young children to understand. If you know an inspired baker to be, this is a perfect book to introduce them to.

PS - The Teddy Bear Bread is something that young and old alike are going to love making!
Very fun book! Recipes for all the family! Step by step instructions. Colorful illustrations.
A keeper!
This is a short book that explains the working of yeast and bread to children in pictures and examples . This field trip also explains the diffrent types of Bread and what country they come from. A very tasty field trip that I will share with my home school group
Let's Explore Bread is a beautifully presented book that will appeal to children. This short, 24-page book, is filled with examples of various types of bread, step-by-step of how to make bread, an experiment with yeast, bright pictures with children demonstrating, recipes to try, and ends with web links for more information. This is a great educational book that will inspire children and give them confidence to step into the kitchen and develop this cooking skill.
This book encourages children to think about all of the different kinds of bread.  Photographs show everything from French toast to pita and will make you and the child with whom you share this book long for carbs.

This book includes an experiment that shows yeast in action.  The process of making bread is illustrated with photos that show the different steps, as for example, kneading or putting bread in the oven.  Several simple bread recipes are also included.

The author hopes to make youngsters aware of the foods they eat.   She succeeds in this title which is appealing and well organized.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this title in exchange for an honest review.
Really a well-done book about bread making! Included some recipes and explained different types of bread such pita and nan. Photos were great and multicultural to go along with the varieties of bread. The book explained yeast and its purpose in bread making. All of this in a simple, easy format for young children. I want to make the teddy bear bread!
A nice easy reader nonfiction title to add to your library collection. With updated photographs and interesting text, beginner readers will learn the different types of bread and how bread is made. With fun activities and recipes, this is a fun read on the subject.
Very short and simple. Easy to follow and I’ve tried the bread recipe and it tastes good. Any book that shows children that food doesn’t just appear, as if by magic, in the supermarket gets full marks from me.
Thank you to Net Galley and Lerner Publishing for an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.  My daughter recently got involved in baking, but we found that many of the books were too complicated or cumbersome.  This one was informative, but also had great recipes and was easy to understand and nice to look at.  Definitely recommend this one.
Overall I thought that this was a fun little book, and I certainly think that a younger audience would enjoy the read! It was simple and therefore very easy to follow which is certainly appropriate for the target audience.

Thank you Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!
This was a cute and quick read - one that may be geared to 5-8 year olds. My niece is 7 and enjoys baking and I think this book will be great for her even if it's a bit on the simple side (I base it on her ability to read chapter books versus picture books but she loves them both). I think the book could have been laid out a bit differently and included more recipes (especially of world breads) but overall, a good series (especially for picky eaters).