Cover Image: Gardening for Geeks

Gardening for Geeks

Gardening for Geeks All the science you need for successful organic gardening has everything I was looking for right in the title.  From setting up your garden, to the soil and what makes for successful soil, to the plants.  Great information is to be had.  Of course, no garden is without pests to control and she’s included great helps in that area, too.  I love the section in there on composting and have been implementing her ideas for that.  I was inspired as I was paging through and loved all the scientific facts that she threw in along the way.  I believe that this will be a resource that I will draw from for years to come.
I received a digital copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

***Also posted on Amazon, Barnes&Nobles
I am novice gardener...I started my first garden in April during the stay at home orders for COVID-19. I wished that I had this book then.  I found this book very informative...lots of good stuff. :)  It is chocked full of photos, drawings and charts that are extremely helpful.  Gardening for Geeks is also a good starting point for beginners. It breaks down things you don't realize you need to know and why it's important.

My only complaint is there should be  a section on planting zones. Not everyone lives in SoCal.

My school is starting a community garden (Covid 19 set us back a few months) we are hoping to get it set up this fall.  I will definitely be getting myself a personal copy.

I highly recommend this book for novices and experienced gardeners alike.

I received a free digital copy of #gardeningforgeeks from the publishers via #Netgalley. All opinions are my own.
Thank you  NetGalley!
I loved the layout and structure of the book. In the beginning the author takes the reader through soil education, irrigation methods, planning, starting from seed, planting, the difference between good and bad pests and what to look for. There is a section for raised beds with a ‘blueprint’ so you can build your own.

There are many informative tips that are highlighted by little boxes.
There is so much information that there are parts you will want to go back and refer to again.  This isn’t one of those books you read and put away.  This book should be kept handy so you can refer to it.

There are many beautiful photos, charts and drawings that will help with understanding the concepts presented.  (how to make a trellis, plant your different vegetables so they all get the best sunlight and so much more).

I believe that this an excellent and extremely informative book.  It would be useful for both beginner and experienced gardeners.

I would like to thank the author,  Fox Chapel Publishing /Companion House Books and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This was a nice, easy read that I find extremely interesting. I’m a new gardener and it provided a ton of basic information.
This is one of those books where there just isn't quite enough interesting information for every reader throughout.  I could see where many would find pieces and sections of this book helpful and informative, but it's not going to fully satisfy any one person.  Instead, this could have been "Raised Bed Gardening for Geeks" and another title could have been "City Gardening for Geeks", another "Recipes for Geeky Gardeners", etc.  Basically, a very little bit about a great swath of information is covered without really going into the nitty gritty details of anything.  I went into this looking for advice on how to set up my already existing garden, advice for what to grow in certain climates, and how to maintain my garden.  I really didn't get the answers or information I was looking for, but was able to pull out a few interesting details to try out next year.  Ultimately, I felt as though the book over-promised on its information and audience.  For what I was able to get out of it, I could have simply reviewed a gardening blog--I didn't feel there was enough here that would appeal to someone in order to justify a full purchase.
Really enjoyable all around geek guide for successful organic gardening. Seriously a jack of all trades type book that not only gives you new ideas to try but offers a general basic knowledge of just about all gardening. From bringing insects to your garden, to compost, to the places that offer organic seeds.

What did I like? Wealth of knowledge sounds about right.... just an incredible amount of information packed into a small book. If you want to be more self sustaining in a natural way, this is a great guide. I learned so much I really didn’t know and I believe the methods are explained easily enough to be beneficial. I just bought property and I’m hoping to start my first trial garden next year so I’m planning a year in advance. Seems extreme but after reading this book, it seems to be a natural thing to plan in advance.

Would I buy or recommend? Kindle price is not bad since you get a wealth of information but I would go for a print copy. Sometimes planning things take you to the yard and such but carrying a kindle or iPad out seems far fetched. I really enjoyed the book and took lots of notes, I would definitely.

Thoughts for the author. Thanks so much for an ARC to give my thoughts and opinions. I really enjoyed the look and will probably get my own paper copy. Lots of knowledge between these pages. Kudos for a great gardening book, I’m so excited to plan mine. I have so many ideas.
I received a free e-book ARC of Gardening for Geeks from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is fun, easy to read, and informative! I'm a new gardener who struggles to do things if I don't understand why I'm doing them - I mean, does the type of soil really make a difference? And what about sunlight? This book gives clear, understandable explanations that will convince you of the necessity of keeping some bugs around and explain how to plan what to plant and when.

The book is also a good starting point for beginners because it explains things you don't realize you need to know and why they're important. There's even a handy dandy section that gives brief overviews of common garden plants and their common problems.

The only negative to the book is that the pictures aren't that great or necessarily helpful. Sometimes it seems like a picture is slapped on just to make sure there's a picture on every page. It would be nice if more of the photos were relevant or informative diagrams.

Overall, I would recommend this book to any new gardeners, whether or not you're planning to go organic. There's just so much good information.
Ever since the Stay-at-Home orders have been put in place, I have been thinking of exploring what it would take to grow my own herbs and vegetables but had no idea where to even begin.
Reviewing this book, I found that it covers everything about gardening that originally seemed intimidating to me.  Each aspect of gardening is broken out into its own chapter and the information provided about each is easy to understand.  The topics are covered thoroughly; explaining what to look for; what works best given different situations and regions and providing clear how-to instructions.
This book covers everything from; what to look for when choosing plants from a nursery to how best to build raised beds to even what to look for in a hose.  I learned a lot and particularly enjoyed how the author broke out each vegetable and herb separately on their own page, highlighting extremely useful gardening information on each.  She also provides some recipes at the end as an added bonus.
Overall, I believe after reviewing this book that I am now armed with enough information that I can now successfully take a stab at setting up my own vegetable and herb garden.
I wish I had this book a month ago before putting in my garden.  It is full of practical, easy-to-follow information for start-to-finish garden success.  From choosing seeds to cooking your garden bounty, I will definitely be purchasing and promoting this comprehensive resource.
A very comprehensive guide to gardening! The author introduced me to many eco-friendly gardening tips and tricks, as well as many practical information for a variety of garden plants and how to maintain them. Although I don't have my own garden right now, I will definitely be reading this book again when I do have my own space.
As the daughter of a master gardener, who, unfortunately has not inherited her green thumb, I found Gardening for Geeks very encouraging! Wilhelmi includes a wealth of information that some people may find overwhelming. However, if you like to gather as much information as possible before jumping into a new project, you will probably find the amount of information to be just enough. The author doesn't give too much information about each topic, but she does give enough to educate the reader and then provides resources for further reading. I am excited about actually starting a small garden after reading this book!
Gardening for Geeks is  a good book with information to create different gardens but not any new or original information.  The author has a website and obviously likes to garden but she is based in LA.  Lot harder to garden in most areas of the country and there isn't detail about different planting zones or best plants/flowers for different types of soil and weather.  The photos are pretty but again, easy to have a lovely garden in California with good weather and yearlong sun.
This book was very thorough. It laid out methods for garden layout, planning crops, soil amendments, pest management, plant care, storage, and recipes. It had diagrams of ways to layout plants and construct different raised beds. The writing was clear and concise. Very useful book for gardeners.
I had a successful veg garden in my former home and am back to being a brand-new gardener in a totally different climate and hardiness zone so I really, really needed gardening help since the last thing I tried to grow here met an unfortunate end.

I loved this book! There was so much packed into its 274 pages - it was full of helpful information for growing your own organic food, choosing what to plant, methods of growing, plant troubles, pest control and more,  I plan on reading this again when I'm ready to get back into the dirt.

My thanks to Christy Wilhelmi, Fox Chapel Publishing/CompanionHouse Books, and NetGalley for the eARC. All opinions are my own.
This is a nicely laid out compendium of information, if employed will lead to a rich harvest.
   Employing science to aid pest control and fertization to make an organic garden free of chemicals, I found the simple aids employed to be very intelligent moves. I've gardened for years and this will definitely up my game. There are chemical free options I've considered, but didn't know how to employ.
  Beautifully illustrations, with clear intructions make this a clear winner.
  I requested and received a NetGalley ARC to peruse gratis anf offer my opinion the same
As a beginning gardener, I find this book to be a dream. 127 pages of clear instructions on everything you can think of that has to do with gardening. I’m amazed the author was able to pack so much information into 127 pages. The topics covered range everywhere from composting to raised beds to small space gardening. There is even some information on beekeeping! In addition, there is information on various food storage options for your produce, and even a few recipes.

Whatever your level of gardening experience, this book will be helpful to you. I will be ordering a hard copy of this book to assist in my gardening adventure.

I received a free digital copy of this book from the publishers via Netgalley. My review is voluntary.
Gardening for geeks is a great go to for beginner gardeners as well as experienced gardeners (as there is always something new to learn).

Covering the planning of a garden, seed starting, bed preparation, absolutely all you need to know to grow and harvest your own food.

I would buy this book for anybody expressing an interest in gardening.
This is one fantastic book!  I have wondered about organic gardening for years but every time I'd pick up a gardening book I'd still feel like I didn't understand all of the steps involved well enough to be successful at it without having an experienced person nearby.  Well this book is like that experienced gardening friend!  It's packed full of of information, directions, an enormous number of explanatory pictures, heck it even has a friendly flowchart to troubleshoot what's going wrong with your plant!  If that wasn't enough, there's lots of individual plant information and even explanations of how to can your harvested plants and recipes you can use to cook them!!!  I'm telling you, buy this book if you're like me and always wondered how to garden successfully.  I received an advanced copy from the publisher for review purposes but I have provided a completely honest review, I really like the book!

The ultimate organic gardening resource, Gardening for Geeks provides readers with everything they need to know about designing, building, and sustaining their own garden. Filled with step-by-step processes, helpful diagrams, and expert tips on the best practices, this book covers it all for anyone who dreams of gardening, even the city dweller.

Starting off with the basics and progressing into more advanced concepts for a wide scope of gardening strategies and techniques, this is a comprehensive and geeky look at your favourite hobby. Founder of Gardenerd and author, Christy Wilhelmi shares her expertise to break down the biology and ecology of gardening in an easy, breezy writing style that will make you appreciate and understand gardening even more than you did before!

With 2-3 hour lines at the grocery store. gardening is going to be a hot topic this summer!!  I am decidedly a city dweller so that aspect of the book really appealed to me and the author covered the subject very well. I am baffled by the "geek" aspect of the title - it covers basics for gardening in North America using organic methods. (Are geeks supposed to be organic or vegan or would-be-gardeners? Maybe I am more of a nerd as I cannot imagine a better day than reading or crafting all day...lol)

A great book for starting out - and with food security up in the air, maybe a MUST READ for anyone who wants to eat fresh food: me? I rely on my CSA for that as any plant son my balcony would be dead from engine fumes in one minute!

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🍅🍅🍅🍅
I like this little gardening book. I have a brown thumb. I buy poor unfortunate plants every year, take them home and kill them. Every year. This is a nice little book that explains gardening not rapturously but succinctly. Tells me what I need to know about soil, building beds, building things like rain barrels and solar dehydrators ( might be worth doing if I ever get to pick something) irrigation, planting, picking, etc. The best part of the book for me is the vegetable profiles. Each common vegetable is profiled with Latin name, soil, spacing, sun req., water rq., common problems, growth, planing depth, etc. It really helps you plan your garden and decide what you really can plant successfully or why you repeatedly fail. There is also a section on seed saving. At the end is a section on canning and cooking your produce if you get produce. Add olive oil and red pepper flakes to your broccoli, garlic, and olive oil to your greens. Yummy. I love the broccoli one. The red pepper flakes really make a difference. Try it. Buy and read the book. Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read the book for a review.