The Book of Kell

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 18 Feb 2020

This book is very different from any other lesbian book I have ever read.  It is a post apocalyptic book about two young women, Kell and Elinor,  trying to find Kell's sister.  Which Kell only remembers when her sister drew a map in the dirt.  Not to mention that since most of the population has died off and years have past, the landscape has drastically changed.  Also, there is a different population that lies between them and the sister.
This is a very drama filled book and will keep you reading to the last page!
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
" I hate field trips.” That’s exactly what Kell was thinking just as the bus blew up…

From the opening pages this post-apocalyptic YA thriller pulls the reader in and forces you to invest in the life and survival of Kell and their friends. I am a fan of well done post apocalypse reads. I’m curious to see how an author deals with food and water shortages,the extent of destruction and the unravelling of political systems. The scenario in The Book of Kell ticks off all the issues survivors face when the world changes and those who remain must learn to adapt to their new reality.

Kell identifies as trans, a boy trapped in a girls body, but this is a future time when the world has regressed and subjects like gender identity are no longer taught in the few schools still operating. Instead, the students are “rated” for their future careers, their life paths set for them by teachers. It is an interesting concept and a cautionary tale with today’s ultra conservative push for a return to a “simpler time”.

This is a tale of survival, of drawing on inner strengths, dealing with fears, feelings and loss of hope but always moving forward. A post apocalyptic quest I could not put down. Solid writing and an excellent cover design and this book should appeal to a broad audience of readers, YA and adult alike.

Excellent read.

ARC received with thanks from publisher via NetGalley for review.
I love apocalyptic books with everything I've got - and this one was a real winner!

After Kell's school bus get's blown up, Kell and the only two remaining survivors set off to get as far away as they can from the dangerous situation. It's three teenager's against the world, struggling to survive in a barren post-apocalyptic America.

I enjoyed this book more than I can even describe. The world created here was so well done. The writing was so perfect. I can't recommend this book enough. I loved the balance of this book - where the lightness and goodness of the world showed through the tragedy, there was some romance but it wasn't overpowering the rest of the story but instead balanced with the adventure aspects, some friendship and some conflict. One of my favourite things was the descriptions of all the different landscapes they walk through - they really grabbed the reader and drew you into the temperature, the moisture in the air, the vegetation, etc... Amazing! The characters were all really interesting, I wanted to get to know each and every one of them. I never wanted a single scene to end because I just wanted more.

I am really hoping that this is the beginning of a series because I want more of this world, of these characters, of this stellar writing!

I received an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This is the best post-apocalyptic novel I think I’ve ever read. That’s saying something since this is a genre I like, so I’ve read quite a few.

I began reading The Book of Kell by Amy Briant one afternoon. About halfway through the story, I forced myself to stop because I realized I would be reading all night. I got up early the next morning, grabbed my tablet, and didn’t put it down until I was finished. Even after finishing the novel, I had to wait another day or more before I could write this review. The story had that much of an impact on me.
The Book of Kell is exceptionally written. The story is riveting. The setting is so real that at times it can be terrifying. In fact, it is terrifying a lot of the time. The characters are so true to life that you almost expect them to pop out of the book and start talking to you. Through Kell’s eyes, you learn about and become invested in all of the main characters. You learn who they are, their good points, their flaws, and their fears. They truly become real to the reader.

This novel has the YA tag because the main characters are in their late teens, but don’t let that put you off. This book should be tagged for everyone. In my opinion, you really must read this book. This novel has a 5+ star rating.

I received an ARC from NetGalley and Bella Books for an honest review.
Literally the best book I’ve read in a while. The first 5 star in quite a bit I believe. I couldn't put it down. It’s fast paced yet not. A romance but only sorta. Post apocalyptic but recognizable. Just a really really good story with amazingly flawed characters. You root for them, laugh with them and cry with them as well. A really all around great read. Don’t let the young adult tag scare you away either. Honestly it’s just really good.
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I was excited to even request this book - I seem to have a passion for post-apocalyptic fiction. So when I got it, I thought I'd just check out the first few paragraphs and then get on with the rest of my day. I'd start it properly it before bed. Good plan.
I stood in the middle of the room and read the entire first chapter. Standing. I couldn't move, didn't want to move. Read four more chapters that night before bed. Then had nightmares about the end of the world all night.
The next day I read over a third of it, and the next night stayed awake until I was finished.
Then thought, 'now what?'.
It's that good.

I have read a lot of post-apocalyptic fiction. So much so that not much in the genre surprises me anymore. This grabbed me, held me captive and surprised me over and over. And that ending?
Damn!

This is such a good book, from the characters, to the world-building, to the pacing...I will go back and read it again.
And again.
And again.

This book is better than hundreds of other post-apocalyptic fiction out there, so if this genre is your jam, BUY THIS ONE.

I'd give it ten stars if I could.
YA dystopian future book. Trans-boy and bisexual girl leads. This is a heartwarming yet gut-wrenching, can't-put-it-down book ... and if you're like me, you WILL cry at the end. Just FYI.

After climate change, government mismanagement and outward threats destroy civilization, small isolated communities are all that is left. When their school bus is blown up by radicals and a mushroom cloud appears over their town, Kell and East are left on their own. Kell's sister was sent off with other Pioneers a few years ago to begin an new settlement, and with no better options, Kell sets off to join her with East tagging along. The two are faced with so many trials on their quest to find Segundo and the journey brings them closer and closer together.

**I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.**