Cover Image: A Higher Calling

A Higher Calling

This book blew me away! I loved it so much! I couldn't put it down and finised it in one day. Rachel and Harold of Earls Family Vlogs are one of my favorite YouTubers and I have been a subscriber for years. Their book did not disappoint. I had no idea what Harold went through on Everest. I was shocked and in awe of what he and his team went through and accomplished. I loved that Rachel and Harold dreamed big and encouraged others to pursue their goals. Their faith in God throughout different times in their life was so uplifting and inspiring.
Cute true story of two people that are a solid unit. It starts a bit slow but picks up shortly. There are a few parts that are so funny. Definitely an easy read and an enjoyable one.
A Higher Calling to which I fully agree that it demonstrates to readers that God’s purpose and our dreams and missions can be united. By approaching life with an attitude of thanksgiving, while being joyful and embracing the many aspects and types of love.

A Higher Calling demonstrates a Christian long distance relationship whose life journey embraces their beginning to a budding romance towards their wedding. The story focuses on their thoughts, stories of their up and down long distance relationship which outlines the steps they had taken to ride the storm with their faith, love and trust for God. Through their ups and downs they both tried to put God as head of their relationship to which they shared their difficulties of doing so. They both managed to help each other along with the inspirational moments and help from family and friends to adhere to their own and shared
Dreams. To keep themselves in harmony and walking side by side in togetherness with God they made personal sacrifices to ensure their dreams were completed.

Just reading this memoir has inspired me to find my own dream and goals.
A Higher Calling is a fantastic inspirational read, written by a married Christian couple I certainly recommend for anyone to read.
#AHigherCalling #NetGalley
I received a complimentary copy of this book from WaterBrook & Multnomah  via NetGalley for my honest review of the book.   The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own thoughts, feelings and viewpoints of the book.
I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! I have followed this couple for a few years now through their Earls Family Vlog channel on YouTube. Watching the videos about their lives you can instantly tell that they are genuine people. Their content is so very real and relatable. You will laugh and cry while reading this book but most importantly you will  feel the spirit of God.

*** I received an ARC of this book from the author/publisher from Netgalley. I wasn’t obligated to write a favorable review or any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own.
This book is the true love and faith story of Harold and Rachel Earls.  This story depicts how God's hand is on each of our lives.  From the moment that Harold and Rachel meet, a faithful retelling story of their life begins.  Harold and Rachel each write with honesty, and love about their relationship and their faith in God.  Harold and Rachel talk about the challenges they faced during their first year of marriage, which included Harold's plan and dangerous adventure in climbing Mount Everest.

This book will uplift and empower you in your walk with God.  Harold and Rachel's faith is truly inspiring and I recommend that you read it.

Happy Reading!

Note:  I received a digital copy of this book from Waterbrook in exchange for an honest review.
Harold and Rachel Earls have written a a book that grips you, a book that makes you laugh but also cry at the same time. A book that tells a true story that is almost impossible to comprehend. A book that asks questions and gives answers. A book that you immediately want to reread and give a nice spot on your bookshelf. A place it deserves. A book in which people go to extremes, literally and figuratively. The book tells a story of which there will be no second. Both Harold and Rachel sacrifice for each other but also for others. A book where faith plays a big role and should if you have experienced this.

Highly recommended for readers of Christian biographies.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions are my own.
Thank you to NetGalley and WaterBrook & Multnomah for making this book available to me. My thoughts are my own.

I love larger-than-life stories, especially when they are REAL. These true life tales show that anything is possible. They speak of great fortitude, faith and love. They show the resilience of the human spirit.

Part love story, hiking memento, leadership book and self development how-to, A Higher Calling brings to life the adventurous story of Captain Harold and Rachel Earls, known around the world for "The Earls Family Vlogs."

Harold and Rachel speak with the wisdom of seasoned warriors twice their age. They write candidly about their love story and his harrowing experience on Mt. Everest.

While I'm not a mountain climber, I was drawn to this book from my mother-in-law's hiking experience on the JMT in California. I've watched Mile, Mile and a Half and I've followed hikers' YouTube channels. From my removed vantage point,. I've seen what is required to endure such intense physical work and the exhilaration upon completion.

Moving back and forth between their personal story and Harold's mountain expedition, A Higher Calling reads quickly, engrossing both mind and soul into the lives of two dedicated Christians with a calling for their lives. I couldn't put it down. I wanted to stay up all night reading but took it slowly to enjoy it thoroughly. I love that their story is told conversationally, moving back and forth from Harold's to Rachel's point of view. I feel like this makes it more relatable to both men and women.

Rather than segment the book with "Application Points", it runs smoothly. And while this may be frustrating to some who might want action steps, it certainly would have detracted from and stopped the non-stop action.

Key Take-Aways
1) We were all created with a calling and a purpose.
2) We can do difficult things.
3) We are called to have great faith.
4) Don't let fear write your story.
5) Don't give up.
7) Follow your dreams.
8) Relationships are hard work and require intentionality.

I love how Rachel points out early on that her husband is all about self-development. Words of wisdom punctuate the text, giving the reader much to think about. Rachel's entrepreneurial spirit shines through as well, making it a great resource for burgeoning vloggers and bloggers.

Bottom Line
If you're looking for a true story of endurance, grit and faith, look no further! I think this is a great book for those about to be married or just married, especially as you navigate learning about each other in the first couple of years of marriage.

Those who love adventure, hiking and mountain climbing will also love A Higher Calling.

I was blessed by reading this book. I gained so much insight and wisdom on how to be resilient in difficult and uncertain circumstances. I look forward to seeing where the Earls go in the future.

P.S. I'd love to see this turned into a movie! Maybe by the Kendrick Brothers?
I really enjoyed this book! I loved the way it was written, back and forth between Rachel and Harold, followed by a brief entry of Harold's Everest summit journey at the end of each chapter.
Harold and Rachel's love story is a sweet one! It was especially encouraging to read about their faith, and I appreciated how they both readily acknowledge their relationship is held together by the Lord.
This was a fairly quick read, as I didn't want to put it down, and kept me on the edge of my seat (even though it's obvious Harold is still alive!) It was fun to hear the story behind this YouTube family!
I highly recommend this book. Different than what I normally read and completely unputdownable.
Thank you to Netgalley for allowing me the thrill of reading early.
A Higher Calling, called to me unlike any other book has. It pulled me in from the beginning and I couldn't put it down. I loved stepping into their lives and living it. Such a great read!
I have been following Rachel Earls on Youtube since 2016 which was just before Harold left for Mt Everest. So when I saw they had this book coming out, I knew that I wanted to read it. And even though it came out over 6 months ago, I only just got around to getting it and reading it

To be honest, the book wasn't quite what I was expecting, but it was still really good. I was expecting more stories about their relationship and not as much about Mt Everest. I'm not very interested in Mt Everest or climbing so that part of the book wasn't as interesting to me. I did enjoy hearing the different perspectives of Rachel and Harold throughout the beginning parts of their relationship though.

I really enjoyed the heart of the Earls family that is evident in this book and on their social media accounts. Their story has and will be an example for others on how to work through the challenges and trials marriage and life brings.
This autobiography is told from the perspective of both a husband and wife, and I think that leads to authenticity and a better understanding of this couple. Part of the emphasis is on Harold Earls' mission to climb Mount Everest. Part of the story is about his time at West Point and in the army. But then Rachel, his wife, gets to talk about the experiences from her perspective. She also shares about how she found her own mission and focus in the midst of her husband pursuing his dreams. Both Harold and Rachel agree that they are better together. But they are both quick to point out their mistakes and moments of selfishness in a way that still honors each other. This is a book about faith. This is a book about love. This is a book about commitment. This is a book about teamwork. Part of it happens to be set at the top of the world. What is unique about this story is the fact that Rachel happens to share a lot of their life online (Earls Family Vlogs.) So if you cannot get enough of the Earls, there is plenty more out there. I appreciate their honesty and transparency in the book and online, but it is not a tell-all without boundaries. They share their lives in a respectable and enjoyable way.
I chose to read a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley because I wanted to review it. Having met someone else who climbed Mt. Everest, I was curious what the experience was like for another man. All opinions are my own.
A Higher calling is written by a husband/wife team. While reading, you really feel like you get to know them and understand the perspective of each side. Whether you are drawn to the book for the adventure or the relationship aspect, there is plenty of each.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read an ARC of this book.
I have always been interested in Mt. Everest, so I was excited to read this book! Rachel and Harold have a beautiful love story, and I enjoyed the way the book was written alternating between their different perspectives interspersed with what happened while Harold was on Everest.
I initially picked up this book because I was interested in reading about the author’s climb of Mount Everest. However, this book covers much more than that.   It begins as a sweet account of the love story between Rachel and Harold, who are pursuing college life across the country from each other.  A mutual family friend encouraged Harold to contact Rachel over social media, and their relationship takes off from there.  They soon marry, but their married life begins with Harold training to climb Mount Everest.  As the book progresses, we hear the story of that climb and how that experience, plus his military service, impacted their marriage.

I liked that the book’s point of view switches back and forth between Harold and Rachel, and the switch goes very smoothly.  It was fun reading about their courtship.  The book takes a more serious turn as the story shifts into Harold’s account of his climb. I liked their open approach in this part of the story:  Harold admits mistakes they made on the mountain; and Rachel’s honest about the toll all of this takes on her and their families.  I did not know that they have such a large YouTube following, and I’m looking forward to watching some of their videos on there.  All in all, it’s an interesting book.  If you are an older reader, as I am, it will make you smile as you see them grow individually and as a couple.  If you are in the younger stage of your marriage, you’ll be encouraged by the way they’ve tackled their problems and grown stronger as a couple.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
*Received this book from netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

I had actually never heard of the Earls family until I was strolling through the book aisle at work and the cover to their book caught my eye.

I added it to my tbr and wishlist and went on my way. Then I requested and received the book from netgalley and dived right in.

I loved the way Rachel and Harold shared their ups and downs not only as a couple but as individuals as well. I can't imagine having to say goodbye to someone and not knowing if they would make it back to me. That must have taken an extreme amount of faith on Rachel's part.

Would definitely recommend
If you want a feel good book, this is the one to grab. I love anything that is positive and uplifting, filled with a bit of suspense and has God in the middle of it as well.

This is that book.

Definitely suggest to friends and family that love a good book to sit and read by a cosy fire, or by the beach, or at night before bed.
A Higher Calling is both a love story and an adventure story all in one. Beautifully narrated by husband and wife Harold and Rachel Earls, this book captured my attention from the start and changed me on many levels. I loved how both authors' unique voices were portrayed and I feel like I got to know both of them as friends by the time the book ended. Their love story is so sweet and inspiring, and changed my perspective on my own future romance. This book deepened my faith and convictions, made me laugh, cry, and rejoice with Harold and Rachel, and inspired and uplifted me! I cannot recommend it enough if you are looking for a good read to do any of those above things. To say this book blessed me would be an understatement!

FTC Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley for promotional purposes. I was not required to write a positive review. These are my honest thoughts and opinions.
"A Higher Calling" had me in tears more times than I can count. I've been following the Earls family online for a while now, and their story has left such a big impression on me.

They're so good-hearted, spread love and good energy that one just can't miss. All that and more is what the book does. The way they tell their story is inspiring and really enjoyable. I loved how the book was set up - the different perspectives of Rachel and Harold. It felt like the reader was part of their story at each specific moment.

It is one of the most real books I've read so far. Their story had me laughing, crying and just appreciating life even more.

Everyone should read it for themselves!
I have been following Harold and Rachel Earls on YouTube,  Earls Family Vlog.  Check them out.
This book is from when they met  and to the start of their marriage  This is not a typical 20 something marriage.  im 56 and i've not seen that kind of adventure in life.

They are a faith based family and it a great example of how one of faith deals with the difficult situations.  I am reading and nodding my head at times when i've had my moments of doubt. Or moments of refocus and listening to God.

Harold and Rachel Earls, Thank you for sharing your intense at times life and the funny side of y'all as well.  Thank y0u for sharing your faith.

Please read the book.  An Army ex-wife and Mom of an Army soldier Thank you for what you do.