Member Review

Pub Date:

Review by

Misty M, Reviewer

My Recommendation

What the Heart Wants has everything you could ever want or need; it's 352 pages of racy romantic women's fiction at its finest! Luckily for us readers, Suda Kaye's love life isn't the only relationship nourished from the roots up as Audrey Carlan does a fantastic job of bringing raw beauty to the love of sisterhood! Her writing style draws me in every time, there's just something about it - the familiarity, the love of feeling connected, the humor, and the unashamed intimacy. What the Heart Wants is genuinely unforgettable.

Our story begins in the aftermath of Suda Kaye's mother's death as she embarks on what ends up becoming a decade long adventure around the world, experiencing more than most could ever hope for in a lifetime. On every birthday, Suda and her sister Evie open a new pre-written letter from their mother, designated for specific times and milestones in their lives. As she reads her latest letter on her 28th birthday, she knows that it's time to return home. After coming back to her sister, Evie, in Colorado, Suda Kaye decides it's time to dig in and settle down. Although her sister isn't the only person she runs back into... queue, her first love, Cam.

Four days. That's all it took for me to devour every.single.page! It would have been much sooner, but, you know - the life of a mom and wife came calling... and sleep. Yet, when I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it. The heartwarming stories of Suda Kaye, Evie, Cam, the loveable Bryants, elder Tahsuda, and Milo were a joy to read. Although fictional, there was something bittersweet about the realistic feeling within What the Heart Wants. Just make sure you read the author's note at the end as there's much insight on the inspiration and sheer amount research put into this novel.

Quick question before I go, have you heard the song "No Place" by the Backstreet Boys? Parts of this song remind me of What the Heart Wants in many ways; Suda Kaye has traveled the world, but there just ain't no place like home! I am very much looking forward to reading Evie's story in the upcoming sequel To Catch a Dream. The preview at the end just makes me all the more interested in the 'Ross' sisters!

I would recommend this book to everyone because literally, everyone should experience What the Heart Wants. Thank you to NetGalley, the publishers at Harlequin Books, the author Audrey Carlan and her amazing PA Jeananna Goodall for providing me with an advanced reader's copy of this title in exchange for my honest review.

*Review will also be posted to all applicable retailers once published.*