Cover Image: The Negativity Remedy

The Negativity Remedy

What a much-needed book this is! I love Nicole J. Phillips perspective and background about kindness, from her opening thoughts to the ending, the whole book has her unique style of writing and narrative that pulls you in and makes you really sit up and listen. She speaks from personal experience and I loved her story, I think so many people can see themselves in her story. I also believe that we all can use more kindness in our lives, and it all starts with how we treat ourselves like Nicole J. Phillips points out. We must be kind to ourselves before we can show kindness to those around us.

“They (people) need a way to feel powerful and important, and kindness can give them that feeling” (p.85).

The Negativity Remedy is one book I think everyone needs to read, it shows real life and how we need to make little changes each day to spread kindness to others; it is one book I know I will read again just to keep the ideas fresh in my mind and in the minds of those around me. I highly recommend this book and give it 5 out of 5 stars.

*I volunteered to read this book in return for my honest feedback. The thoughts and opinions expressed within are my own.
What a great book, especially right now in these crazy times.  I can’t remember highlighting a book as much as I did this one – I need to go back and digest all the evocative ideas. Through sharing some very personal stories, the author weaves in many powerful, positive ways to change our lives. We are continually influenced by the world, people around us, and our “internal meanie”, all working to bring negativity into our lives daily. But we have the power to change how we react, and Nicole Phillips walks us gently through ways to change our perspective.  “Hurry, worry, and jury” will stay with you after reading this book, and you’ll have kindness at the forefront of your mind.

Thank you to JustRead tours and NetGalley for a copy of this book.  I was under no obligation to write a positive review; all opinions are my own.
I really enjoyed this book! I think we could all use a little help battling our inner critic in 2020!

What I loved about this book was the author's approach to advice. So often self-help books come across as condescending or vague. I enjoyed the way the author used specific research to give gentle guidance to readers.

I think the biggest lacking factor for me was the absence of action items. I tend to learn best with specific approaches that are more than just cognitive behavioral therapy strategies.

Overall, I still think this book was one of the more helpful books I've read. I learned a lot about myself and the way I think about myself. I would definitely recommend this to my friends!
I have been reading more non-fiction books this year. Its not a normal go-to genre but COVID has me reaching for all the self-help books. 2020 has NOT been my year... or my families. With a title like: The Negativity Remedy: Unlocking More Joy, Less Stress, and Better Relationships through Kindness - I had high hopes and this book delivered. I recently had similar expectations for another book in the same genre and was completely disappointed so reading chapter one 'Lessons from Dinoland' made me smile and instantly relating and invested.

Is kindness a magical cure-all? Kind of (in my opinion) ... but the author says different. She backs up her claims by quoting other experts in the field and scientific data. I loved all the truths and personal stories thrown in with examples of both good and bad. Nicole claims to be a work in progress with an inner meanie waiting in the background just like everyone else, and she has a plan to keep it in check.

As soon as I started reading I began text friends and family and telling them about this book, reading passages and giving my own examples. I especially enjoy the part advocating for volunteerism. I loved it from the first page. I felt validated. It was like the author was speaking truths I have tried to impress upon my family for decades... but in a way that probably made way more since.

I signed up for a review tour, hosted by JustReadTours. I received a copy of this novel from the publisher. All opinions are my own, I do not need to leave a positive review.
I absolutely loved this book and all the stories the author shared on her own life to tell the story on how she learned to use kindness to improve her life. Many think they are not negative or unkind but many circumstances in our lives bring out the worst in all of us. Seeing things from others perspective and offering kindness goes such a long way to show ourselves just how much kindness matters.
I read this in one sitting and couldn't stop from highlighting passages and tips. Nicole even has 365 ideas of kindness acts at the end for a final take away.
 I gained so much from this book and I'm so blessed to receive an ecopy from Susiebookreviews in exchange for an honest review.
The Negativity Remedy
Unlocking More Joy, Less Stress, and Better Relationships through Kindness
by Nicole J. Phillips
Baker Books
 Christian
Pub Date 01 Sep 2020

I am reviewing a copy of The Negativity Remedy through Baker Books and Netgalley:

The majority of us are pretty nice people, right?  But occasionally we’re tempted to indulge in gossiping, or allow anger to overcome us.  We often think if everyone around us wasn’t this way we wouldn’t be either.

Maybe the trouble isn’t with everyone that aggravates us though, perhaps the problem  is with us.  More specifically the way we react to  inconveniences, accidents, and just plain old everyday life with negative words, thoughts, and actions.  When we start responding in kind ways, that's when something remarkable happens: we actually feel happier ourselves.

This book is written with humor and devices, and ends with over 300 ideas for acts of kindness.

I give The Negativity Remedy five out of five stars!

Happy Reading!
The Negativity Remedy by Nicole J. Phillips is a short self-help read that helps the reader identify and combat their inner critic. Throughout the book the author highlights the important of kindness and how we can replace our negativity with kindness towards not only ourselves, but others as well. I enjoyed the reflection questions at the end of each chapter and I found some of her tips helpful, such as make a decision to stop saying negative words which is so simple but hard! I believe the author's message is important, but sometimes the writing was a bit immature. The chapters were written in a stream of consciousness manner and frequently used the phrase "inner meanie". The author has a strong, bubbly voice so I recommend this book readers who find a bubbly voice contagious, but may not necessarily be for those that are a bit more negative and cynical.

Many thanks to the publisher Baker Books and Netgalley for the ARC in return for an honest review.