Cover Image: Manga Classics: Anne of Green Gables

Manga Classics: Anne of Green Gables

Anne of Green Gables has had a place in my heart since I first watched Anne With an E on Netflix, and I absolutely fell in love with the story and characters.
The first book in the eight book series by L. M. Montgomery follows Anne Shirley, a young orphan girl taken in by siblings Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert. The book follows Anne as she grows from a wild, imaginative girl with a ferocious temper to an intelligent and kind young woman, all under the care of Matthew and Marilla. It’s a beautiful and heartwarming coming of age story. It sometimes reads as a parental guide, like most childrens books at the time did, but if you overlook the obvious etiquette lessons you see a soft, slow, and gorgeous story of Anne finding her place in the world.
Now, this is a revamp of the original story, as it takes the 1908 novel and turns it into a modern-styled manga. Now of course this manga is a bit shorter than the original, and because of that it does cut away some of the original story, but the main story is still there, and I feel the things the storyboarder decided to exclude did not have a major effect on the story overall, and that they actually chose the things to cut quite well. The only problem with the cutting of certain storylines is that some chapters become exceptionally short, only lasting one or two pages, which did give me a sense of whiplash at some points, but overall it did not have a negative effect on the story.
Some of the characters did not really fit well into the manga style, mostly Matthew Cuthbert. In the novel he is portrayed as fairly stoic and quiet, but with the exaggerated expressions of the manga art style, this feels a bit off. However, the manga style suited Anne’s character so well. I was blown away with how perfectly she fit as she is such an animated character. It was also very nice to be able to see the thoughts of some of the main characters, as it made them feel more real and likeable than if we had just gotten their straight dialogue; this especially applies to Marilla, as she comes off as very cold and unfeeling for the first half of the novel, but seeing her thought process really helped bring her to life and show the reader how much she loves Anne.
Lastly, I absolutely love the accessibility that the manga classics series brings to dyslexic readers and readers who struggle to read classics normally. The meat of the story is still there, and even though you lose the descriptive writing, the gorgeous art and animated characters make up for it splendidly. I could see myself recommending this series to people who want to see what all the fuss is about with some popular classics but don’t want to deal with the sometimes difficult language.
Overall I highly recommend this book, and pretty much any adaptation of Anne of Green Gables, and I really hope they decide to adapt the rest of the series into manga as well.
3.5/5

Anne of Green Gables is one of my favourite stories, I've lost count of the number of times I've watched the movies from the 80s, the number of times I've cried over THAT one scene, or longed for someone to look at me the way Gilbert looks at Anne.

I think this is a great introduction to Anne and Green Gables. It is a faithful retelling though I feel so much of it is lost not having Lucy Maud Montgomery's beautiful prose.

I'd still recommend this to anyone who wants to check it out though but I'll always push for the original above all else.
I love this! The art is stunning especially for the characters! Gilbert looks like someone from Digimon, and Matthew is lovely, and that brought me a lot of memories of my childhood when I love watching animes. The nature art is cool, they just look like what we get from the book.
I've never read the novel by L. M. Montgomery, so I can't comment on this manga adaptation's faithfulness to the original story. But what I can vouch for is that it was a wonderfully charming story and a quality production by the adaptor/illustrator team.

Anne is... a complicated child. Her antics, her overly active imagination, her feisty temper, her lack of tact, her kindness, her desire for a better life, her vanity, and zest for life all make for a great character. But she can be exhausting, too much a handful for quiet Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. Many would be tearing their hair out at a girl like her, she's trying on people's patience, but at the same time, life in a sparsely populated part of the Canadian boonies would be so much duller without her. She's not a perfect girl, she's petty, stubborn, flawed. She makes you roll your eyes, and she makes you laugh. She needed both the kind indulgence of Matthew and the strict discipilne of Marilla to become the better girl she is by the end of the story, for sure. She influences the adults and is in turn influenced by the adults, and it's for the better in the end.

Crystal Chan's style is a bit more "chibi" than the manga style I like best, but it's perfectly suited for this story more than for the other Manga Classics she's drawn for, because of the tone and atmosphere of the story. She was able to capture Anne's expressiveness, and above all the lovely Prince Edward Island settings. Out of curiosity, I googled the place, and it's beautiful! That is seen in the art, too.
I've always loved the story of Anne of Green Gables and was curious how different a manga would be. While the art is cute and it keeps to the important parts of the story, I just don't get the true Anne Shirley in all her awkwardness, uniqueness, and quirkiness. The classic character becomes a bit more stereotypical in looks (it's hard not seeing her carrot-colored hair), but the dreaminess and classic lines are still present. This would be a fun read for younger kids and those who have not read the original would probably enjoy it more than I as I was already familiar with the story line.
FR
Tout d'abord, je tiens à remercier NetGalley pour ce livre !
Ensuite, il faut savoir que je ne connaissais absolument pas ce classique avant ma lecture. Je n'ai lu ni vu aucune adaptation. Je partais donc dans une totale découverte. Mais ! Depuis plusieurs années que j'entends parler de ce livre, ce ne sont que des avis positifs. Aussi, mes attentes étaient très hautes.
Et forcément... j'ai été légèrement déçue par ma lecture.
Je tiens à dire que les dessins sont vraiment beaux et que au niveau graphique, c'était très appréciable !!
Par contre, mon problème est au niveau de l'histoire. Je n'ai pas vraiment apprécié Anne qui m'a fait lever les yeux au ciel très souvent. Et je ne suis attachée à personne au final, même si certains sont appréciables.
Les messages qui sont passés sont très beaux, et je peux comprendre pourquoi tout le monde aime autant cette histoire. Mais avec moi, ça n'est juste pas passé malheureusement.
Peut-être que je retenterai de le lire dans un différent format dans quelques années; on verra.
Ca reste un livre que je peux recommander, car je sais qu'il plaira à beaucoup de personnes !

ENG
First of all, I want to thank NetGalley for this book !
Then, you should know that I knew absolutely nothing about this classic before reading it. I haven't read or seen any adaptations. So I was on a total discovery. But ! I've been hearing about this book for several years and it's been only positive reviews. Also, my expectations were very high.
And inevitably... I was slightly disappointed by my reading.
I want to say that the drawings are really beautiful and that at the graphic level, it was very appreciable !!
However, my problem is with the story. I didn't really appreciate Anne who made me roll my eyes very often. And I'm not attached to anyone in the end, even if some are appreciable.
The messages that have passed are very beautiful, and I can understand why everyone loves this story so much. But with me, it just didn't happen unfortunately.
Maybe I'll try to read it again in a different format in a few years; we'll see.
It remains a book that I can recommend, because I know that it will please many people !
Faithful graphic novel version of the beloved classic about Anne Shirley, the imaginative orphan girl of Prince Edward Island. Younger readers will find it an accessible and entertaining read.
The manga adaptation of Anne of Green Gables.  The art is cute.  It will appeal to my students and get them engaged in a classic story.  It has been a long time since I read Anne of Green Gables, but I didn't notice anything left out.  It is a well done adaptation of the classic and was designed with education in mind.  I love all the extras at the end of the book that walk us through the process of adapting a classic.
Quick Summary: Beautifully illustrated and so well done!

My Review: Manga Classics has done it again with this beautifully illustrated story on Anne of Green Gables. I have nothing but praise for this graphic rendering. It was so well done. It evoked just as many feelings as when I read the novel and watched the PBS special. It pulled on my heartstrings. That gets an A+.

This book will do much to introduce a new generation to a beloved classic. It will also provide a fresh take for those who are children at heart.

Rating: 5/5
Recommend: Yes
Audience: All

Special thanks is extended to the publisher and to NetGalley, who provided access to this digital work in exchange for an honest review. The words I have expressed are my own and have not been influenced by the aforementioned in any way.

* A review has been submitted to Goodreads.
I was left wanting to see more after watching the show, so I'm glad I got to read this. It was lovely, a short and quick read. You definitely enjoy it more if you're a fan of the original books or the show, Anne with an E.
A cute and cosy little read, a more simple way to read a classic! It's beautifully illustrated and the dialoges are great
Ever since watching ‚Anne with an E‘ I love Anne Shirley’s world and the Manga is a great way to read her story without the old language of the book (at least for a not native speaker like me). The only downside is that the story ends in the middle and I now have to wait and buy a second book
Manga Classics: Anne of Green Gables is a moving book about an orphan girl hoping to be adopted. She is a feisty, plucky, red-haired girl with a big imagination and heart. I really enjoyed this manga graphic novel, not having read many manga books before. It stays true to the original book, and tells the story well in the comic strips. Unlike many other adapted novels, having read the original book, I think it does not matter whether you read the original book or graphic novel first.

Thank you for taking the time to read my review!
I loved this story. I have been meaning to read it for years. This adaptation was accessable and a great joy to read. I would recommend it to anyone.
Going back to the world of “Anna of Green Gables”  Felt like coming home. Anna Green Gable is an amazing tale of a young girl finding her way through curious and sometimes odd situations . This manga brought forth the nostalgia feelings I have for this story as well as added new interpretations. I thoroughly enjoyed all of Anne’s antics in the manga! The artistry showcased in manga perfectly matched the whimsical tone of “Anne of green Gables”.
Overall I enjoyed the storytelling, plot, dialogue and the art style,
A delightful adaptation on a beloved classic. Beautiful artwork that depeicted perfectly Anne's story. While the story itself spanned several years, this adaptation did well at consolidating the story. Very true to the story of Anne of Green Gables.
Anne of Green Gables is a classic story that many children, and adults, have loved for years. Thanks to this manga adaptation, many children who find reading hard will be able to understand the story much better.
A nice little graphic novel adaptation of the timeless classic Anne of Green Gables. Staying true to both the plot and language of L.M. Montgomery's original book, this manga introduces children to the lovable character of Anne Shirley, an orphan who comes to live with the elderly Cuthbert siblings and turns their lives upside down. This book does a good job of capturing Anne's volubility and fertile imagination, and presenting her adventures with friends and neighbours. The illustrations could be somewhat gentler/softer given that this is a very tranquil, non-action-packed story though. Right now some of the pictures give a feeling of tension or frenzy that is not commensurate with the tone of the original novel. Otherwise, this is a good introduction that will hopefully inspire young readers to read the original full novel!
a classic read, oh do i love Anne dearly. the art is also so pretty. Her personality shines through the bubbly, energetic, oh i want to see everything and anything.
I simply love Anne!
And when I found out about this manga i had to give it a shot and read it and I am amazed. The art style is beautiful, clean and the characters are well developed and executed.
I love the silly faces they sometimes make.
It is a great version to present the younger audience so they can read some classics or maybe well known and beloved stories from their childhood.