Cover Image: X-Men

X-Men

I grew up on the X-Men as part of my Saturday morning cartoon routine. I read the comics in Middle School and High School. I've watched the movies. My husband and I were Rogue and Gambit for Halloween this year (I even color hair gelled in a white streak!) I've seen the Marvel universe expand past what I could ever have imagined. The old school X-Men hold a special place in my heart. I feel like this audiobook stayed true to the TV series. This played out almost exactly as I remembered it. It was great to revisit old friends and story plot lines.

If you have seen the original X-Men cartoon, this story may feel super familiar. I don't think it strays too much from canon. Jean Grey is mutating into the Dark Phoenix. The power is an ancient one and she struggles for control over past and future events and who she once was and who she is turning out to be. All the familiar faces are there: Storm, Charles Xavier, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Cyclops, Wolverine, and Shadowcat.

Recommended for: X-Men fans, Marvel fans, comic book lovers, superhero aficionados, and anyone who watched the X-Men cartoons on Saturday mornings as a kid

Audiobook: great narrator, great pacing, suspense building happened
I was always a big fan of the 90s cartoon of the Xmen and thought this was a great way to find out more about the story of the origin of the Phoenix.
Thank you so much to net galley for sending me a copy of this book I was super interested in reading this book and was not disappointed I feel like this book easily transported you into the world of the X-men
I am a fan of origin stories. So, I was looking forward to hearing Stuart Moore was tackling the story of Jean Grey’s passing and the rise of The Phoenix. While readers do not have to have full knowledge about the X-Men being familiar with the characters does help. It did take a little bit to get used to and drawn into the audiobook. Nancy Wu narrated it. She did a decent job of differentiating the characters by adding accents familiar to them, but it was hard to decipher between the narrator and Jean Grey. I liked the modern updates on the story. Like when Kitty referred to Hogwarts and The Hellfire Club not having the 80s slang. If you are not a fan of time and story jumps, this may not be for you. It was not hard to follow as the structure was done really well, but it does jump a bit. Overall, I enjoyed it. It was nice to have a more in-depth version where it wasn’t rushed, or certain things were not omitted because of it being a movie, tv series, etc.

Thank you to NetGalley for the audiobook.
I was looking forward to this book, so much and was so disappointed by the irritating voice that read
 the book.  I could not get past the voice. I stopped listening to is midway through the second page.
BAD CHOICE FOR READING THE BOOK. It sounded fake or like it was not real...it was trying to hard, it should have come naturally and sounded fake and trying too hard.
The narration was solidly forgettable. There was a lot of "tell" vs "show" and it made listening more daunting than enjoyable. For a story about the X-Men, everything about this story just felt dull and boring. As a reader and listener, I expected a lot more.
An intense and interesting read.  Very well preformed and voiced. Slow start but well worth it.  Perfect for a long drive.  Both I and the teen boy sitting in the backseat really enjoyed this audiobook. Made us want to drive right to the local comic book store!
I have been a fan of the X-Men for quite some time and The Dark Phoenix Saga is probably one of my favorite and most reread arcs from their very long history. I even managed to write a chapter on it in my PhD dissertation. Which is to say, I’m really familiar with the story and it holds a special place in my heart. That is why whenever I come across an adaptation of the story into a non comic medium I’m both willing to give it a shot, and anxious it is going to be terrible. Hello both attempts at adapting it into a film. Having been burned a lot at this point, I nervously pushed play on the audiobook. First, just as a heads up, this is the audiobook of Stuart Moore’s novelization of Claremont and Byrne’s comics. I initially went in thinking it was a audio play type performance like the recent Sandman or some of the DC Comic audios I have listened to before. That said, I wasn’t disappointed, all in all it was really enjoyable.

If you are already familiar The Dark Phoenix Saga, there aren’t going to be a whole lot of surprises narratively. And you can definitely find yourself thinking, oh yeah, next is when we get to ______. There are a number of things that have been updated though so you don’t feel like it is a late 70s/early 80s period piece. So Kitty Pride and her friends have cell phones and text, the machinations of the Hellfire Club are much more high tech. Though this also means some things have been taken out and streamlined for the updating and for the adaptation. Sorry Dazzler fans, we do not get an updated version of our Disco Queen.

So yeah, as I said before, this was really enjoyable. The story is still great, the adaptation makes it easily accessible for new and younger readers, and I really enjoyed the way the some of the characters internal conflicts and personalities were delved into. I can easily see this as the version of this story I would give to my nieces or nephews who have parents that don’t think comics are reading, or others that may be adverse to jumping into the medium and a story with a lot of continuity attached.

Thanks to Netgalley and Titan Books for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
Narration was decent.

So I come this this story as a fan of the X-men film franchise; having not really read the comics from which it comes (which means that I have no idea how close this comes to the canon).  My first impression was that there was way too much drama and self flagellation here for a superhero comic.  In addition, the interlaced/switching of Jean's POV/Flashbacks at the beginning was really disorienting and hard to follow (perhaps text instead of audio would have been easier ... or a completely different voice for each PoV).  It threw me off enough that I was starting to tune out parts of the story.  Fortunately it got a lot better about 1/3 rd  of the way through the book.  Once I got to that point, I started to enjoy the story.  It is worth noting that this story "does not end well ..."  So it you are looking for a happy ending ... give it a pass.

I was given this free advance review copy (ARC) audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.
#XMenDreamscapeMedia #NetGalley
Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me to listen to this audiobook in exchange for an honest review.

The Phoenix Saga is one of my favorite X-Men storylines but this adaptation really fell flat for me. As other reviewers mentioned there was a tug of war with Jean Grey as a character that made it hard for me to get a read on her or really connect with her as a character.

As far as the audiobook the narration was great and as someone that speeds up their audiobooks, I had to test that with this one and it was extremely frustrating because the narration was clipped and you lost a good chunk of the story if you did listen to it on 2x-3x speed. This might be an issue with the NetGalley software or just an issue with the actual narration, there's no way for me to know for sure, but it was irritating.

At this point I do feel like I would have enjoyed the story more if I did read it physically.
hough I've been wanting to read this book for a while, it was a bit of a letdown, if I'm being honest. I saw what it was trying to do with having Jean feel stifled by everyone in her life and then reclaiming herself, but it was honestly felt so messy and back and forth. Jean was evil and then she was good and then she was evil and then she was good? I needed an actual progression of her going from goodness into the darkness. I needed to see that development instead of getting hints of it and then pulling back again. Her whole character arc over the course of this book was just a mess and could have been handled a lot better.

My favorite character in this book was Kitty Pryde, and when she was such a small character and wasn't around all that often, that's saying a lot about how well this book grasped my attention. I did really like Logan's characterization as well, and loved addressing how everyone always expects him to do the hard things, but how he's actually the most good and loyal member of the team, how even though everyone always looks down on him, he is actually better than all of them. Also, Piotr was just my fave, the sweetie.

I thought the narrator did a really good job giving a voice to all these iconic characters and really helped me get through this book.
As a fan of Marvel and it's large cast of superhero characters, I was looking forward to this. Growing up I was a bigger fan of the X-Men than the Avengers characters. Stuart Moore does a fantastic job bringing this story to life. I had such a great time listening to the audiobook. Moore is such an amazing talent with a long history of writing amazing stories for some of my favorite Marvel characters like Wolverine and Deadpool.

I was a big fan of the X-Men movies when they first came out. I will admit that towards the end, some of those movies were a bit of a let down so it is very refreshing to be able to experience a well written story that has a solid dynamic between characters. The only thing I wish was better was the choice for narration. Nancy Wu does a good job but I just found her read to be a bit flat. I think some more life and excitement in the narration could have made this a better audiobook in my opinion.

I would like to thank Stuart Moore, Nancy Wu, Dreamscape Media and NetGalley for providing me an ARC in exchange for my honest review.