Cover Image: Daughter of Lies and Ruin

Daughter of Lies and Ruin

I really enjoyed the first book in this series, A Curse of Ash and Embers, and was excited to be back in the world of the Blackbone Witches. I absolutely love our two main characters, Aleida and Elodie, and how magic works in this universe. In this book, Elodie is continuing her training as a witch when they’re attacked by bandits on the road, setting in motion a series of troubling and exciting events. Although I didn’t like the plot of this one as much as the first, it was still fun and full of action. It sort of felt like a transition book, setting up a bigger story arc for later in the series. I liked the new characters that were introduced, especially getting to see another type of witch. The ending was very cinematic and exhilarating, and while it wrapped up nicely, the story still has room to build and expand. I would definitely read on in this series and am looking forward to the next book!
I think this was a great continuation of the world that the author created in the first book. I will say that I think that this story could also be read as a standalone without being too confusing, which I think takes a great amount of talent on the authors part. I loved how the plot just dove right in and the action just started right off the bat. I love any books that are surrounding witches, and this book I think stood out amongst the rest. I think Aleida is such an interesting character, and the curse is such an interesting added layer. Dee I think was a bit of a struggle to relate to this book. because I feel like she almost progressed in the last book but then seemed to slide down this slippery slope where she seemed to regress instead of progress. I think that both of these characters had a push and pull that sort of made it so they balanced each other out. I think that the end was such a fun read, and certainly lived up to my expectations. I truly cannot wait to see how the author continues the story in the third book. I really enjoyed this book!
This was a good young adult fantasy novel. I didn't realize it was a second book in the series so I quickly read the first to be far. I am glad I did since it set up the relationship between Elodie and Aleida. This book had some great themes and I have enjoyed the journey they are taking as the grow. I am looking forward to the 3rd novel.

Thank you for the advanced copy!
Unfortunately I was not aware that this was a second book to the series. I read the first 5 chapters confused but enjoying the plot. I will definitely be going back to read the first book after having a glimpse into the series
I loved that the book jumped right into the action. There is no pause between the second and first book. The story just picked up where it let off. I can’t think of any negative things about this book. I like that there isn’t to many characters so you get to know the ones in it well. I thought our main character could of grew a little more but overall I can’t wait to read the next one.
Thank you Netgalley and the publishers for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

As compared to the first book, I couldn't get into this one. I might try reading it again at another time, but for now I wasn't feeling it like I was with the first in the series.
dnf-ed, couldn't get really engaged in the story in a meaningful way. may try reading this again at a later time.
I received a complimentary copy of this ebook from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed the first book in this series and I am glad I got to continue the story of Dee and her learning and travels with Aleida.  It starts up pretty much right where the first one ends, right into the action of a group of bandits trying to rob them.  Dee is not too sure about her magic yet, as she has just barely started learning but I like how, despite her insecurities, she seem to come through just fine. Her empathy gets her into lots of trouble though and sometimes I just wanted to be like Aleida and tell her to just keep moving, not everyone can be saved or even deserves to be (especially certain bandits). Plus, Kara was annoying in her own right with never telling the truth and running headfirst into danger all the time (even if she was trying to find her da, it was irritating).

I must say I like Aleida the best and when Dee got down to business, she was cool too.  I like the Blackbone witches and I hope they can keep going around, undoing what Gyssa had set up before she died. Minerva was interesting too and so was the introduction of Mae.  I am sure we will see more of them later on.

This is a good series and I did enjoy both books quite a bit.
4 stars. This book picks up right where the first book left off. We are immediately thrown into some action and get reacquainted with Dee and Aleida. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoyed the first book and are looking for a new epic fantasy to start.
An enjoyable entry in The Blackbone Witches series!! This book picks up fairly quickly after the events in A Curse of Ash and Embers, with Aleida and Dee on the road and taking a break from Black Oak Cottage. Dee has been learning quite a bit of magic, although she still has many doubts about her abilities and place in the world. Aleida wants to use some of the ill gotten gains from Gyssha to do some good and so they stop at an abbey to give them a goodly sum of money. There they meet a young girl, Kara, who is staying there because her father has disappeared. Dee befriends her and of course gets drawn into all the drama of trying to rescue Kara's father. This leads to ambushes, fights with griffins, and another witch trying to summon a hell beast. Just another adventure for Aleida and Dee.
I felt the pacing was much better in this book compared to book 1. Events seemed to flow much more evenly, it of course helped that I was already familiar with the characters and the world, so it was much easier to get engaged in the story. I like the progression of the relationship between Aleida and Dee, and Dee finding her abilities and her confidence. I enjoyed all the action, the creatures , the different magical spells and Toro!! A fun and engaging world!!
Daughter of Lies and Ruin is the second book in the Tales of the Blackbone Witches series. Unfortunately, I think it had that typical second-book syndrome...where it doesn't quite live up to the first book and almost feels like filler to just get to the (hopefully) third book.

Elodie grew a lot over the course of the first book and I was hopeful to see that continue, but she was more concerned with what her mentor, Aleida was doing than anything else. I really enjoyed Elodie's character, but in this book not as much. The relationship between her and Aleida didn't feel as organic.

That being said, the book is overall an enjoyable, fast-paced read and I do look forward to another in this series. The writing is descriptive and immersive and I'm fully invested in Elodie's journey at this point.

Thank you Voyager via NetGalley for the e-copy to read and honestly review.
I did really enjoy this book right from the beginning. The action started right from the very begging of this book and lasted. The two main character's were also very good leads. I am excited to read the next book in this series.

Thank you Net Galley and the publisher for providing a free ARC of this book.
Daughter of Lies and Ruin definitely does not disappoint! The action begins as soon as you open the book and begin reading Chapter One.

I really enjoyed Aleida and Dee’s characters. However, I feel that they could have been developed more, especially Dee. There were times where she was constantly whining and relying too much on Aleida for help, instead of trying herself. I hope there is another book in the series to wrap up a lot of loose ends.

Thank you to Voyager and Netgalley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed in this review are solely my own.
I really enjoyed this book and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.  There was great character development and plot development and I really enjoyed the writing.  I did not want this book to end!  Thank you Netgalley and Harper 360 for this ARC but all opinions are my own.

When I read the first book in the Blackbone Witch trilogy I fell in love with the atmosphere, mystery and altogether different take on witch’s that I had previously read. I mostly follow YA story lines, and this series took witches in a different direction than I am normally used to.

The second book in the trilogy picks up where the first book let us go, a couple weeks after the fact. Our main characters are just living life, and Aledia is teaching her new young apprentice the craft. Learning to live in the world is full of surprises and Dee faces the dilemma that many of us face in our real lives, good vs evil— right back wrong.

Throughout the story Dee is constantly pressing the issues of morality as she seems them. Although I think it’s an important part of her development as a character I really couldn’t relate to her with it.  I felt it was over hashed out and almost took away from the story.

The only other qualm I had with the story and as well as the first story is the time setting. Both books take place over a VERY short amount of time. This leads to the actions and story line to be more unbelievable (if fantasy could be considered believable in the first place 😂) and lent to be less credible to what I would like in a story!
The story begins several months after the conclusion of A Curse of Ash and Embers, and the relationship between Dee and Aleida has grown quite a bit from the first book. Throughout the first book, the characters were getting to know and understand each other, as well as the new situations they were thrust into. Now, they are more comfortable with each other and seem to understand each other well. Aleida and Dee have embraced the roles of mentor and mentee, and their ease with each other shows that they are close companions with trust and a strong connection.

No longer the naïve and innocent girl who first arrived, Dee has become more confident and self-assured. I like that she is gaining confidence and a sense of belonging. Though she still longs for things that were missing in her past, Dee has found a new family in Aleida. Aleida, in turn, has learned from Dee and isn’t as hard and uncompromising as before. These women are so different in how they think about and deal with the world around them. They contrast each other, and yet they complement each other well.

I love the depiction of strong, powerful women who aren’t daunted by the obstacles that stand in their way. Aleida, in particular, embodies female empowerment and independence. Kara, a young woman searching for her missing father, is another strong, determined character who refuses to listen to the men that try to control her. She is a woman of action, and I like her fiery personality. Of course, there is more to Kara than meets the eye, which totally surprised me.  Dee, no longer obedient to her abusive step-father, is finally free to think, speak, and act without fear of retribution. There are so many messages about sisterhood and the strength of women, which is one of my favorite aspects of the novel.

The supernatural elements continue to expand and remain intriguing. We learn more about Dee and Aleida’s abilities, which are so fascinating. Abilities like being able to inhabit the bodies of animals or being able to travel to different worlds are explored. As Dee and Aleida travel throughout the book, they also work on their magic. Even though they have different strengths, Aleida has much she can teach Dee. Of course, this becomes even more imperative as nefarious forces threaten both Dee and Aleida, and Aleida’s curse still hasn’t been cured.

Daughter of Lies and Ruin is an engaging addition to the Tales of Blackbone Witches, and I’m excited to continue the series. Adventure, mystery, magic, and an epic fight scene make for an engrossing read, though there are some parts that felt a bit slow for me. It is the second book in the series, and though you could read it as a standalone, I think reading the first book would provide important context for readers. Thanks so much to NetGalley, Voyager, and Jo Spurrier for a copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.
I love that this jumped right into some action. No easing in, just continuing the story where it left off. I really enjoyed this book, it had great pacing and an interesting plot with a lot more magic.
There is a big magical problem in the area and Elodie and Aleida must figure it out before it's too late.
Sly humor, interesting new players and plenty of action make this a fast and very enjoyable read.
Daughter of Lies and Ruin is the second book in the Blackbone Witches series and it is another great one.  It takes place after A Curse of Ash and Embers and follows Dee and Aleida on the road dealing with magical business.  Along the way, they run into bandits, a sword-fighting girl, and an evil witch.  I absolutely loved the first book and this one did not disappoint.  The relationship between Dee and Aleida is fantastic and one of my favorite things about the story.  I also enjoyed the beasts especially Toro.  While this is a wonderful follow-up to the first, you do not need to have read that one to understand this one.  It stands just fine on its own.  It is a fantastic story with strong characters and a clever plot.  I can't wait to see what is in store next.
I loved the heck out of the first book in this series, I have no idea how many books there are supposed to be and I can't find any information anywhere as to how many there'll be. While I enjoyed this book as well, I wasn't as fond of Dee's character as I was in the first book. Her character development felt like it took a bit of a step back.

She had less agency and spent a lot of the book reprimanding Aledia for all her choices, failing to see the bigger picture. Her naivete and narrow worldview caused more problems than resolved. Yes, she was correct that they should investigate the strange and concerning things happening, but the way Dee wanted to do things barely worked out most of the time, and most revolved around luck.

I enjoyed this book, but I felt that it had less focus than the first book in a lot of ways.  I would have liked to see Dee getting trained more, rather than a lot of standing around in the forest talking. I don't know, I just felt that the decision to get involved didn't really add anything to Dee and Aledia's story that much. They're no closer to breaking Aledia's curse than they were at the end of the first book. I just hope that there are more books and they actually make progress with that.

This review is coming across a lot more negative than I feel for the book in general. I recommend this book and this series, they are fun reads and the magic is interesting, I just, again, wish that Dee had more training so that the magic could be explained with more detail.
I have received this ARC from NetGalley and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

I'm not going to lie here guys. When I saw that I was accepted to read this lovely eARC from both NG and Edelweiss I freaked out. Mostly because I knew I enjoyed the crap out the previous book and I was really hoping that Daughter of Lies and Ruin wasn't going to disappoint me.

Well, it didn't but I definitely didn't like Dee in this one. It's like her character development went downhill a bit. It's weird to me that she didn't really improve in this one because I remember wanting her to grow a backbone in the first book. Now in this one, she is just really naïve and whines so freaking much.

Besides Dee, there's Aledia and honestly I love this girl. I didn't think she could become better but she definitely improved and I'm so happy for that. She was a bad ass and I loved her sass. I just didn't like how Dee was like can you do this and this and this. Like excuse me.. look at this poor witch and realize that maybe you can do something so she can take a nap or something. Hot damn!

In the end, the action was so freaking good and I can't wait for their next adventure. I really hope Dee gets better because if not .. I don't know how I'm going to feel.