Cover Image: Bridge of Gold

Bridge of Gold

At the building of the Golden Gate Bridge, many divers had to be used to help build a firm foundation for the bridge.  When Luke stumbles on a sunken ship along with gold, he finds himself in the midst of a bigger mystery.  Things soon begin to spiral out of control, making Luke wonder if it truly was treasure, he discovered.

Fast forward to the present day, Kayla starts a new project at the Golden Gate Bridge, but she has no idea the project will end up opening many doors for her.  As she unravels the mystery of a sunken ship with the head of restoration, Steven, she finds a treasure of a different kind.  Going back and forth between both settings, the reader is along the ride to piece together the mystery.

Once again, Kimberly Woodhouse has written a story that draws me and keeps me attentive towards the very end.  I was curious how I would like her writing in a contemporary fiction genre since I had only experienced her historical fiction.  Of course, she didn’t disappoint!  I loved learning more about the history of the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco.

The story went back and forth between both time settings with just the right amount of information to keep the reader wondering what would happen next.  There were parts that were predictable but it was all things that you wanted to work out!  There were other parts that kept you in suspense as you wondered how they would turn out.

I have read all the books in this series and I have enjoyed all of them.  Each one can be read as stand alones since they do not coordinate with one another.  I look forward to reading the last book in the series as well as more books by Kimberly Woodhouse.

I would really recommend this book.  I received a complimentary copy of this book.  All opinions are my own and I was not required to leave a positive review.
I really enjoyed reading the book, Bridge of Gold, by Kimberley Woodhouse. This story was a delight to read from the very beginning. The characters intertwined together in a wonderful fashion which captured my attention and had me reeling to find out what would happen next. If you like stories that have romance and mystery added to it, then you will also like reading this book. I look forward to reading other books by Kimberley Woodhouse. Kudos to this author for writing such a remarkable story!#NetGalley#Barbour Publishing

*Thank you to NetGalley and Barbour Publishing for allowing be to read an e-book copy in exchange for my honest opinion.
This book was written very well yet it was not a complete read to me. I felt there could have been more detailed and overall just add a bit more to the story.

I love historical fiction and I could tell the book was very well researched, which I appreciate.
MY THOUGHTS ON THIS BOOK

I really enjoyed reading this book. First of all I find it really special that they author names one of the couples in Bridge of Gold after her own daughter and son-in-law. This is a really nicely written split time novel. I enjoyed getting to know these well crafted characters and especially Steven and Kayla. The dual stories fit together well as the story goes back and forth between the ages. I love the rage with the split time stories these days but If they are not written well, the story is not so good. But this one is perfectly written. Kimberly Woodhouse does a marvelous job writing this story and she also does an amazing job with the details of the story. A lot if research has to have done in order to write such details and I appreciate Woodhouse for her dedicated work in this book.

This is a book everyone can enjoy. It covers a lot, historical and contemporary, mystery, suspense, romance, faith and a whole lot more. I encourage you to check this book out. You will sure love it.!

A special thanks to the author/publisher for a copy of this book. I am not required to write a positive review, the opinions here are mine alone. I am disclosing this with my review in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.
Bridge of Gold by Kimberly Woodhouse is the third book in the Doors to the Past series, but it can be read as a stand-alone dual-time novel. Woodhouse has characters from the late 1800s to the 1930s. Human remains are found at the Golden Gate bridge, and archaeologist Kayla Richard and restoration expert Steven Michaels led the investigation. As they work together, romantic chemistry develops, but can their newfound love survive when their lives are threatened?
Bridge of Gold by Kimberley Woodhouse is the third installment in Barbour Books Doors to the Past series. This split-time romance mystery revolves around the building of the Golden Gate Bridge and the finding of a shipwreck.

During the heart of the Great Depression, Luke and Margo are trying to make their way together, Luke as a diver for the building of the south tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. When he stumbles upon a gold nugget from a shipwreck, their lives take a dangerous and mysterious turn.

I found the diving information incredibly fascinating, especially the details surrounding Luke’s dives from the 1930s. The hardship of the 30s also seeped into the pages of Luke and Margo’s story. For Kayla and Steven, the mystery was as murky as the water they dove in and the tangle didn’t resolve until the very end.

Bridge of Gold is a fascinating tale of history and mystery, gold and shipwrecks, and the cost of greed.

—
I received a complimentary copy of this book from JustRead Tours. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with FTC guidelines.
This is mediocre Christian fiction. I have read good, five star Christian fiction; so I know it exists. I am not a reader of Christian fiction exclusively; therefore, I gave this book the benefit of the doubt and awarded it 2 stars. Possibly readers who are more invested in this genre would enjoy this novel more than I did.
There is so much wrong with it, I should just make a list.
1. It is a short book, but the author tried to cram so many story lines into it, that she was not able to fully develop any of them. The protagonist is grappling with the accidental death of her mother in a hit and run auto accident. This plot has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the novel. It is left unresolved. She merely decides to "trust God" and leaves it at that. Why even include this subplot? It just wasted space that could have been invested in the main idea of the novel.
2. The murder mystery was very intriguing and could have been the basis for a great novel. It is why I decided to request this novel from NetGalley. As a Christian book, I did not expect gore, grit and sex; but the author did not even deliver a well-developed mystery. A descendant of one of the original bridge workers came out of the woodwork and explained the whole thing. That was just too easy and not at all satisfying. This could have been such a great story. It remains unrealized. I would love to see a different author take on this topic.
3. The romance between the two main characters in the modern day timeline was corny and stupid. I wanted a mystery. This book is a sappy romance with some scuba diving going on in the background. The author must have dedicated at least 10 of the scant pages in this book to what these two love birds were eating. She devoted even more to senseless banter between them. She was trying to establish their relationship, mutual interests, etc. Yawn. Give me the mystery promised in the teaser!
4. The bad guys were barely present. A few scenes about the bad guys were inserted just to let the reader know there is indeed a foe somewhere out there. The police initially dismissed the threatening notes. Then the mayor fired our two heroes one after the other based on anonymous tips, one of which was texted on a burner phone. The mayor is an idiot. I was beginning to wonder if the author is also an idiot. This book was written with all of the sophistication of a high school English assignment. The author seems to have no real world experience. She is just writing a simplistic romance with some distractions spoiling the couple's fun.

What else? I guess that's enough. Really, I think this is a one star book or maybe even less. And this is part of a series. I will not be reading any more of these simple-minded disasters.
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Sometimes I find dual-timeline stories confusing, but I loved the way the author wove the historical into the present day.  I had no idea about the perils the divers endured during the building of the Golden Gate Bridge; how brave they were!  This third in the Doors to the Past series was a book I found spell-binding as there’s suspense, physical danger, interesting history, with a little romance sprinkled in.  The Lucky Martha was a ship that had sunk during the gold rush and divers discovered it during the construction of the bridge, leading to more than just the discovery of a ship. I found the story of Luke and Margo heart-warming yet chilling.

I received a copy of this book from Barbour Publishing through NetGalley and was under no obligation to write a positive review.
I love dual timeline books and when it is from the historical fiction genre, I’m definitely a huge fan.  The author has done a wonderful job of sharing an amazing story based on things I never knew.  The building of the Golden Gate Bridge and the difficulties the diverse experienced were interesting.  The Christian theme was refreshing.  And, while romance was a part of the story, it wasn’t too syrupy sweet.  The mystery kept my attention and I loved the twists from both timelines.

I have not read the earlier books in the series, but am looking forward to getting lost in those stories.  And I will definitely be reading more books by the author.

Thank you to NetGalley and Barbour Publishing, Inc. for my advanced review copy.  All opinions and thoughts are my own.
Great story, a while ago I read and enjoy The Golden Bride(a great book) So this story was a joy. In chapter one we are in an important historical moment on February 26, 1933, when was the ceremony of the groundbreaking for the construction of the Gold Gate Bridge, we first meet Margo and Luke. They are celebrating their engagement and even amid the Great Depression, they have hope for a better and new future. While the chapters we learn about the huge life and death challenge the divers(in this case Luke) had to face, while working he found a golden nugget,  little by little bad things start to happen and then we meet our villain a man who has been blind greed.

In the story of the present, we have Kayla who is an archeologist underwater, she has been struggling due to some personal problems and she is hired to work with Steve in the reconstruction project and others find the mayor hopes will help the city. I love how Kimberley Woodhouse gives everyone(even the villains) a voice, truly grateful for that. In my opinion that makes a story richer. An unexpected, but lovely love story, I like how the author took their time to show each main character their struggle and also how they found God there.
Well written, great historical elements, descriptions, characters, suspense, and faith. This story is good and worthy of your time. I love the end, thank you. It’s nice to finish a book and not have any answered questions. Well done to the author and everyone who work to make it possible.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free digital copy for review, all opinions are my own.
Multi-layered storyline. blending the past w/ the present.  Adventurous.  Well rounded characters.  Historical.  Contemporary.  Another winner by Kimberley Woodhouse.  Five stars.
Bridge of Gold is yet another great addition to the Doors to the Past series. I have loved this series and Kimberley Woodhouse’s contribution was not a disappointment. It was a great tale that takes readers to the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California. As Kayla and Steven become quite the team when they have to investigate unsolved murders and newly discovered treasure from the Gold Rush era. I was hooked right the start and was captivated all the way to the end. I found myself wrapped up in the mystery and had to find out how it would be solved.

I am giving Bridge of Gold a very well deserved five plus stars. I highly recommend it for readers who enjoy reading clean historical romantic suspense.
This is an absolutely incredible dual-time romantic suspense novel!

All of the main characters are incredibly well developed. I fell in love with all four of them. Their personalities were presented in a way that I felt as if I could meet them in my own community.

Margo and Luke have so much difficulty in everyday life living in 1933. It was wonderful getting a look at how the depression affected each person that was alive. I loved reading about the type of equipment that was used and the problems that were faced by the divers who were working to build the south tower of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Kayla and Steven had things much easier when they were diving around the south tower in present day diving equipment. Though they still had all of the problems with visibility and current to contend with. It just fascinated me.

The mystery and suspense that arose around the skeleton that was found was fantastic. It completely sucked me in and had me staying up much later than I should have to finish the book and get the answers.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher, through NetGalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All of the opinions expressed are my own.
This New Split-Time Series Keeps Getting Better and Better
I’ll just say it.  Bridge of Gold by Kimberley Woodhouse is wonderful. I can’t decide if the history behind the story is what gives it so much depth and richness or if the contrast and similarities between yesteryear and today makes that difference. All I know is this book kept me riveted from the moment we met Luke and Margo until the last page of Kayla and Steven’s story.

When you have four main characters of a book, it’s easy for them to become a bit homogenous, but even in the characters’ similarities, they are very distinct, unique people.  Add a few flaws combined with the personality virtues, and you have protagonists I just love!

I will say if I have a criticism, it’s that the villains/antagonists are more of a one-note. They all have gold fever and it just comes out in all the same ways.  Not gonna lie, though.  I really didn’t care.  The book was too good for me to care.

Even better?
Spiritual arcs. With four protagonists, there are four.  And they’re all unique, rich, and yet simple, too.  Woodhouse didn’t overthink the changes and growth her characters needed, and because of that, she didn’t overwork them either.

Seriously, you have two wonderful stories full of rich history and fascinating lives that converge into a novel you’ll be thinking of for ages.  Seriously, if I hadn’t promised this book to a friend, it would get a permanent place on my shelf.  And yes, that means I’ll probably be ordering myself another copy.

Recommended for lovers of both historical and contemporary fiction, split-time fiction, and suspense/mystery.  It has them all.  I am so grateful to the publisher for providing the review copy, but as I said. I’ll likely be buying myself a new one.
I have a particular affinity for books set in places I've visited before. And San Francisco is unique in that I've been there multiple times and have already visited several locations I first read about in Christian-fiction books.

So, that itself boded well as I started reading 'Bridge of Gold,' the third book in the Doors to the Past series. I may have read this one out of order, after discovering with Book 4 (Rachel Scott McDaniels' 'Undercurrent of Secrets') that there even was a series - but that's part of the series' beauty, as each installment is standalone.

The San Francisco setting came to life vividly for me in this read. I could easily picture the weather, the bay, and of course, the Golden Gate Bridge--and realized just how long it's been since I was last there (11 years, if you were curious). I loved learning more about the bridge's construction; much like the author, I infinitely prefer breathing above water and not being a diver, either in present day or the 1930s. I'll take a hard pass on that, thank you!

The book really kind of had a 'National Treasure' or 'Night at the Museum' vibe to it that I absolutely loved. Frankly, I couldn't get enough of the history and setting ... and maybe post-pandemic (I hear life outside pandemics exists ...!) I'll pay the pretty city another visit. In the interim, this is a great read to take me there virtually. The characters were charming and endearing, and I learned a great deal about the bridge's construction and diving across the ages.

I received an eARC of the book from the publisher via NetGalley. All opinions are my own.
Bridge of Gold by Kimberly Woodhouse

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
______________________________________________________________________________
Story Notes

This delightful dual time read will have you cheering for the romance and praying against the evil that's hiding just out of sight.

Dual time stories have to be done right if readers are going to enjoy them. They have to tie together well and make you look forward to reading both stories. Kimberly does this very well with this story based in San Francisco. Steven Michaels has been contracted by the Mayor to refurbish the Golden Gate bridge supports and is thrilled with the contract. He and his team love this type of work, preserving the past for the future. When a sunken ship is discovered near one of the main supports, the Mayor insists on the inclusion of Kayla Richards, a well-known underwater archeologist. What they find in the holds of the ship brings is a pleasant surprise - a treasure long rumored but never found. But they are not the only ones who know about the treasure, and there are some who would do anything to ensure it's not turned over to the city - even murder. But Kayla and Steven are more interested in the journals and photographs they find from the original building of the bridge. It seems that this is not the first time that this treasure has been found nor is it the first time that tragedy has happened because of it. Luke and Margo are a 1930s couple who were engaged at the start of the dedication of the bridge site. Luke is a diver on the build crew and hopes to finish this job soon so they can start their lives together. But when he discovers a treasure ship near the site of a bridge support, Luke sees the chance to make life better for him and Margo. However, there are others who know about the ship and someone knows that Luke has found it. Is the chance at treasure worth the cost of his life or the life of his fiancee? Luke will have to decide what matters most to him. Kayla and Steven are left without the end of the story, given that the journal ends before telling what happened. As they seek out the journal writer and work to bring the treasure from the deep, they will have to watch their backs because someone is aiming to get them out of the way - one way or another.
Everything about this story was wonderfully done. From the dual time plots to the descriptions of diving, both from the 1930s and present day, to the romances between the couples, each piece of the story worked together to create a story you didn't want to end. I loved the multiple references to food and eating places in the San Francisco area.; those parts of the story made me laugh. I learned quite a lot about the diving field as well as the building/preserving of the Golden Gate bridge. My family visited SF a few years ago and I loved driving over the bridge and touring the site of it's dedication. It was fun to revisit this landmark in my mind and learn more about how it came about. I will certainly be recommending this book to others as a marvelous read that's not to be missed. It's definitely one that I'll be adding to my shelves to read again as well.

I received this temporary complimentary E-book from Barbour Publishing via NetGalley in order to provide a fair and honest review. I will receive no fiscal compensation for this review and the opinions expressed herein are entirely my own.
Don’t be surprised if it only takes you a couple of chapters before you are fully immersed in this entertaining story – that’s all it took for me!  I love fiction that blends the past with the present, and this story set amongst the backdrop of San Francisco and the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge was filled with intrigue and romance from beginning to end.  Normally, I find myself wanting to read more of one particular timeline, but both timelines in Bridge of Gold were intertwined so well together that you couldn’t read about the present timeline without having the background of the past.  They were both necessary to get the full picture.

This was my first Kimberley Woodhouse novel, but it definitely will not be my last!  She has a fun style of writing that reads like she’s sitting next to me, and telling me the whole story like I’m one of her best friends.  So refreshing to find in a split-time novel, and in Christian fiction as a whole.  I can’t wait to read more from her as well as more books from the Stories from the Past series from Barbour!
Interesting historical facts:
It was fascinating learning about the construction of the Golden Gate bridge and specifically about the conditions that the divers endured. I enjoyed the author's notes regarding her research and the historical facts.
It was mysterious, suspenseful and intriguing during both timelines which was nice as often times it is only true for one of the storylines. There were plenty of twists and turns and I found myself eager to find out what was going to happen next. Overall however I thought it was a bit slow going as the plot only progressed in short increments before switching to another timeline or character. Some of the action felt a bit scripted and I would have liked a greater feeling of suspense.
There was a light romantic thread and I enjoyed Margo and Luke's sweet relationship which was set during the Great Depression of the 1930's. It was also nice seeing Kayla and Steven connect although I would have liked to feel more of a chemistry between the characters.
I received a free copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving a review. All opinions expressed are solely my own.
This novel has something for everyone. There’s a contemporary storyline, a historical storyline, suspense, danger, action, and even some romance. You really can’t go wrong reading it. But just in case you weren’t totally convinced, there’s also history, mystery, and faith. Woodhouse has outdone herself with this novel. It is my favorite from her to date.

Dual timeline novels seem to be the rage these days, and I must admit that I am a huge fan. But they have to be done right. The storylines need to make sense both on their own, and linked together. The author needs to hold your interest in both time periods by providing well written characters, intriguing plots, and enough action to keep you turning the pages. Woodhouse does all of this. All. Of. This. And she does it effortlessly. I couldn’t pick a favorite time period, I was hooked to both of them. I read the book pretty quickly. Why? Because at the end of each chapter, while not necessarily leaving cliff hangers per say, Woodhouse does leave it slightly unresolved that you can’t help but keep going. Good thing I didn’t start it late at night – it would have been an all nighter for sure!

What really stood out to me what the research that Woodhouse must have done to be able to write this book. We’re talking about divers here, and not just them diving down and looking at stuff, but specifics about the current, how divers are carried underwater, the equipment, and the length of time they can be underwater. And she does this in both time periods my friends. And even further, she includes the history of the Golden Gate Bridge and a little bit in how it was constructed. I found it absolutely fascinating, and appreciated all the time she took to research that! I promise you that author research is not a quick process, nor is it an easy one. I commend authors who take the time to do so much research for their books.

Like I said before, Bridge of Gold has something for everyone. Contemporary, suspense and historical fiction fans alike will absolutely fall in love with the characters, the storyline, and the mystery. I highly recommend the latest release from Kimberley Woodhouse! I received a complimentary copy of this book. I was not required to write a favorable review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Bridge of Gold by Kimberley Woodhouse is a Historical Fiction novel that is the third in the series ‘Doors of the Past’ series.  This story is a dual timeline story that takes place in 1930’s and present day.  Ms. Woodhouse  does an excellent job juggling both timelines and they flow together seamlessly.

The story is about the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California.  The timeline for the 1930’s focuses on the actual building of the bridge particularly the south tower.  Historically it educates the reader on the difficulty that was faced by the divers during construction.  It is so interesting to learn about what the diver’s had to wear and the dangers they faced while building the bridge.  The present day story discusses the diving as well but mostly in comparison to how modern advancements in diving have been made safer and lighter.

Villains and their dastardly deeds abound in both timelines juxtaposing themselves with believers who ask God for guidance. Faith plays a very important part of the characters lives in both timelines.

The story has all the ingredients to keep the reader invested.  There is history, love, danger, relationships, good and evil.  The ending was perfectly tied up and answering questions that were earlier left unanswered.  I personally have read all three of the ‘Doors of the Past’ series.  This third one makes a wonderful addition to the series. I am now very curious and looking forward to where the series will take us next.

I would like to thank Barbour Publishing, Ms. Woodhouse and Net Galley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.