Cover Image: Bridge of Gold

Bridge of Gold

Don’t be surprised if it only takes you a couple of chapters before you are fully immersed in this entertaining story – that’s all it took for me!  I love fiction that blends the past with the present, and this story set amongst the backdrop of San Francisco and the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge was filled with intrigue and romance from beginning to end.  Normally, I find myself wanting to read more of one particular timeline, but both timelines in Bridge of Gold were intertwined so well together that you couldn’t read about the present timeline without having the background of the past.  They were both necessary to get the full picture.

This was my first Kimberley Woodhouse novel, but it definitely will not be my last!  She has a fun style of writing that reads like she’s sitting next to me, and telling me the whole story like I’m one of her best friends.  So refreshing to find in a split-time novel, and in Christian fiction as a whole.  I can’t wait to read more from her as well as more books from the Stories from the Past series from Barbour!
Interesting historical facts:
It was fascinating learning about the construction of the Golden Gate bridge and specifically about the conditions that the divers endured. I enjoyed the author's notes regarding her research and the historical facts.
It was mysterious, suspenseful and intriguing during both timelines which was nice as often times it is only true for one of the storylines. There were plenty of twists and turns and I found myself eager to find out what was going to happen next. Overall however I thought it was a bit slow going as the plot only progressed in short increments before switching to another timeline or character. Some of the action felt a bit scripted and I would have liked a greater feeling of suspense.
There was a light romantic thread and I enjoyed Margo and Luke's sweet relationship which was set during the Great Depression of the 1930's. It was also nice seeing Kayla and Steven connect although I would have liked to feel more of a chemistry between the characters.
I received a free copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving a review. All opinions expressed are solely my own.
This novel has something for everyone. There’s a contemporary storyline, a historical storyline, suspense, danger, action, and even some romance. You really can’t go wrong reading it. But just in case you weren’t totally convinced, there’s also history, mystery, and faith. Woodhouse has outdone herself with this novel. It is my favorite from her to date.

Dual timeline novels seem to be the rage these days, and I must admit that I am a huge fan. But they have to be done right. The storylines need to make sense both on their own, and linked together. The author needs to hold your interest in both time periods by providing well written characters, intriguing plots, and enough action to keep you turning the pages. Woodhouse does all of this. All. Of. This. And she does it effortlessly. I couldn’t pick a favorite time period, I was hooked to both of them. I read the book pretty quickly. Why? Because at the end of each chapter, while not necessarily leaving cliff hangers per say, Woodhouse does leave it slightly unresolved that you can’t help but keep going. Good thing I didn’t start it late at night – it would have been an all nighter for sure!

What really stood out to me what the research that Woodhouse must have done to be able to write this book. We’re talking about divers here, and not just them diving down and looking at stuff, but specifics about the current, how divers are carried underwater, the equipment, and the length of time they can be underwater. And she does this in both time periods my friends. And even further, she includes the history of the Golden Gate Bridge and a little bit in how it was constructed. I found it absolutely fascinating, and appreciated all the time she took to research that! I promise you that author research is not a quick process, nor is it an easy one. I commend authors who take the time to do so much research for their books.

Like I said before, Bridge of Gold has something for everyone. Contemporary, suspense and historical fiction fans alike will absolutely fall in love with the characters, the storyline, and the mystery. I highly recommend the latest release from Kimberley Woodhouse! I received a complimentary copy of this book. I was not required to write a favorable review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Bridge of Gold by Kimberley Woodhouse is a Historical Fiction novel that is the third in the series ‘Doors of the Past’ series.  This story is a dual timeline story that takes place in 1930’s and present day.  Ms. Woodhouse  does an excellent job juggling both timelines and they flow together seamlessly.

The story is about the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California.  The timeline for the 1930’s focuses on the actual building of the bridge particularly the south tower.  Historically it educates the reader on the difficulty that was faced by the divers during construction.  It is so interesting to learn about what the diver’s had to wear and the dangers they faced while building the bridge.  The present day story discusses the diving as well but mostly in comparison to how modern advancements in diving have been made safer and lighter.

Villains and their dastardly deeds abound in both timelines juxtaposing themselves with believers who ask God for guidance. Faith plays a very important part of the characters lives in both timelines.

The story has all the ingredients to keep the reader invested.  There is history, love, danger, relationships, good and evil.  The ending was perfectly tied up and answering questions that were earlier left unanswered.  I personally have read all three of the ‘Doors of the Past’ series.  This third one makes a wonderful addition to the series. I am now very curious and looking forward to where the series will take us next.

I would like to thank Barbour Publishing, Ms. Woodhouse and Net Galley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
“Too many pieces to the puzzle were missing…”

In this multilayered split time novel, the mysteries could prove dangerous. As history seems to be repeating itself, divers lives are put at risk by working on the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco. The history in the conquest for California gold and the mysterious abandoned ships made for a great mystery. Seeing the life of an archaeological diver was super interesting, too. Kayla was very personable and engaging. I loved seeing through the eyes of early and modern divers.

“As the sea engulfed her, she closed her eyes for a moment and pushed everything aside. She needed to get rid of all the noise. God hadn’t given her a spirit of fear. But He’d given her a spirit of power, love, and a sound mind.”

This book is full of choices and the paths those choices lead you down. Whether right or wrong it was interesting seeing what happened when people choose good versus evil and vice versa. I was really engaged watching couples learned to trust in God’s plans throughout the generations, too. The romance was sweet and the adventures they had really made me want to visit San Francisco for myself. I really loved both the couples portrayed in “Bridge of Gold.” It was totally romantic, while providing a great educational mystery too. Totally engaging and kept my curiosity from start to finish. I loved it!

“Certain moments in life define a person. Moments that invoke physical feelings that can’t be described. That flood the heart and soul with more emotions than could possibly be fathomed.”

I was given a copy of this book through NetGalley Shelf by the publisher. All opinions are my own and have been given honestly.
Bridge of Gold by Kimberley Woodhouse is the third novel in Doors to the Past series.  I thought Bridge of Gold was well-written with developed characters.  It is a time slip novel told from two time periods and from multiple points of view.  It can be confusing in the beginning until you adjust (learn the characters).  I like that we also get the villains point-of-view in both time periods.  It makes the story more intriguing, and I like figuring out the identity of the bad guy.  The author did her research for this book.  She captured the 1930s and the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge.  It was interesting learning what went into making this beautiful and lengthy bridge.  The divers had their work cut out for them with the shifting currents and steep drop off.  I loved the addition of a sunken ship with treasure.  I like how the author tied the past and present together with a satisfying conclusion.  I appreciate it when the author makes sure that there are no loose ends.  I also liked how faith was incorporated into the story.  I enjoyed the descriptions of San Francisco along with those below water.  The authors word imagery allowed me to imagine seeing the treasure ship for the first time along with feeling the excitement.  The romances were clean and the historical one was sweet.  The author expertly weaves together the past and present into one pleasing tale.   Each novel in the Doors to the Past series can be read on its own.  Bridge of Gold is a compelling novel with greed, murder, a buried ship, sought after treasure, faith, and love.
This is book 3 that is part of the Doors to the Past series. This is the story of the gold rush era and how ships were full of gold had sunken to the bottom of the ocean and still are under the water off the coast of San Francisco.  The story takes us back and forth from past to present.  It is the story of the present and how Kayla is hired to help do repairs on the Golden Gate Bridge.  Kayla and her diving partner find bodies in the ship under water and the mystery begins. The story of the past explains who, what and why the bodies are under the water.

If you love a good historical mystery then you will love this book.  It is another great read from this collection.  It has the history of the Gold Rush era along with suspense, drama and could it be murder?  This is a great collection to this series.  You can read each book of the series as a stand alone because each book is of the a different scenario in different times of the past.  Great afternoon read, you can't put down.....
Bridge of Gold by Kimberly Woodhouse is the 3rd offering in Barbour Publishing’s Doors to the Past series, a series combining history, romance, and suspense. Each book in the series stands alone and is excellent. Bridge of Gold is no exception.

In this dual timeline story we meet underwater archeologist Kayla Richards and bridge reconstruction specialist Steven Michaels as they work together when renovations to the Golden Gate Bridge reveal a sunken ship and human remains at the site.

The historical timeline takes us back to the 1930s and the construction of the Golden Gate Bride. Meticulous research is evident as we learn about the construction of the Bridge, about the Depression, about the San Francisco gold rush, and about San Francisco then and now.

The story is exciting, filled with mystery and intrigue; the descriptions are vivid and authentic; the characters are well developed and believable; and a sweet love story rounds it out. This is a fast-paced book that flows seamlessly between timelines.

History, action, romance, and faith make this one not to be missed. If I could give it more than 5 stars, I would!

Many thanks to the publisher and Net Galley for the opportunity to review this book. The opinions are my own.
Bridge of Gold is part of series exploring two stories connected but set decades apart.  You don't have to read the other books in the series for this to make sense as they don't link in any way apart from this premise. That said, they were good books so I do recommend reading them.

I really liked the crime, mystery and romance threads through both stories. I was compelled to keep on reading until I knew all the in and outs of the stories. I also liked hearing the historical context of the story and not coming from the area that the book was set in, learnt something about that too.

I got this free in exchange for an honest review. This was a pleasure to read and I wouldn't mind paying money for this as it was a good read.
A diver in 1933 discovers a boat full of gold while working on the foundation of the Golden Gate bridge. An underwater archeologist in present day discovers human remains on the same sunken ship. Both timelines are full of mystery, suspense and a little romance. This was an interesting read full of historical details and wonderful, interesting characters. I loved learning about diving procedures throughout the last century, as well as small details of how the Golden Gate bridge was first built. Historical fiction is one of my favourite genre and when you add in a little drama and suspense -you have me hooked.
Bridge of Gold is a Christian Historical Fiction book that is written by Kimberley Woodhouse. I would also say that this is a romantic suspense since there is a mystery to solve. This is a dual timeline storyline and it flows so nicely together. Dual timelines is something I’ve discovered I’m enjoying reading.

We meet Margo and Luke.  They are newly engaged in 1933. Luke is trying to make a living to give Margo a good life and he’s diving to help build the Golden Gate Bridge. However when his dive goes deeper then he expects, he stumbles upon a nugget of gold. He’s nervous but excited since he knows that this is life changing. His luck doesn’t stay positive for long.

Fast forward to current day. There are renovations going on at the Golden Gate Bridge. They call in Underwater archaeologist Kayla Richardson when they discover a sunken ship. Kayla is the expert in her field and is up for the challenge. She is paired with the renovation head, Steven Michaels. They dive together to try and figure out what is going on. Someone doesn’t want them to find out the truth.

Flipping between the two time periods is easy to follow. The author weaves everything together seamlessly. She gives a great background on her characters to where you feel like you’ve known them. She did extensive research on the history of the Golden Gate Bridge. I love stories where I can learn something from also.

This book has well written characters. The storyline is suspenseful. The writing flows nicely. Carve time out to read this book. You will not want to stop once you start reading.

I received a copy of this book through the Celebrate Lit Blogging Program, all thoughts are my own.
San Francisco is a city full of history, and Bridge of Gold takes readers into the history behind one of San Francisco’s most famous landmarks: Building the Golden Gate Bridge.

The past story is set in 1933, as divers excavate the area around where the bridge’s south tower will be built. This means twenty-minute dives in hundred-plus-foot depths where it’s almost pitch black, wearing a diving suit that weighs thirty or forty pounds, amidst rough currents and right next to an underground cliff. Fall off the cliff—or get dragged off by the current. That could kill the diver, who can only breath through a hose connected to a boat on the surface.

Those early divers are a testament to humanity’s endurance and ability to work in tough circumstances. This is why I read historical fiction—to find out something new and unusual. It’s a bonus when the new and unusual is about a location I’ve visited.

Anyway, back to the story … The past story is about Luke Moreau, a diver on the bridge, and his fiancé, Margo. During one dive, Luke is swept over the edge of the cliff and he finds a ship embedded in the mud. Inside the ship, he finds gold … which could change everything for him and Margo in the middle of the depression. Unfortunately, someone else knows about the ship, and is prepared to go to any lengths to stop Luke.

The present story is centered around the discovery of the wreck of the Lucky Martha by Steven Michaels, when he and his crew are engaged on restoration work on the bridge. Once he discovers the ship, he is joined by marine archaeologist Kayla Richardson. They expect to be searching for relics and rumoured gold, but their first find is more macabre: a skeleton wrapped in chains.

And it seems Steven and Kayla aren’t the only people searching for gold …

Bridge of Gold hit all the right notes for me. First, it’s got a real-life engineering triumph—building the Golden Gate Bridge. I’ve been there, but I didn’t know how hard it was to build.

Second, the main characters—Luke, Steven, and Kayla—are all experts in their field. I enjoy reading books about people who are good at things, especially interesting things like diving and archaeology. Intelligent, hard-working, competent people also make good romance characters, because it’s easy to understand what the other character sees in them.

Third, the plot was excellent, with just the right blend of romance and suspense in each timeline. Finally, the writing was excellent, delivering a novel that was hard to step away from.

Recommended for fans of dual timeline novels or historical fiction with a unique perspective.

Thanks to Barbour Books and NetGalley for providing a free ebook for review.
Bridge of Gold by Kimberley Woodhouse is the third book in the Doors to the Past series and a definite must read if you love books where the past collides with the present and is filled with faith, history, mystery and romance.
When repairs are being done on the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco not only is a century old murder uncovered, but gold is found that dates back to the time of the California gold rush.
As more clues are uncovered Kayla Richardson and Mark Andrews find themselves in danger, but is it enough that someone would want them dead over?
I'm looking forward to reading more books in this wonderful series !

I was given an ARC from the author/publisher. All conclusions are mine and mine alone.
I always look forward to a new book by Kimberley Woodhouse! I love that they're Christian, for one thing... which doesn't mean that they're, necessarily, preachy but free from disturbing language and actions.

And the last few have been historical, an added bonus. For instance, I had no idea that the city of San Francisco was built on top of sunken ships! Throw in a little mystery and romance, and you have a hit! I am already recommending this book to others.
Barbour has been knocking it out of the park lately with their historical series, including Doors to the Past. Each book is noteworthy in its own right, and unique due to the variety of authors. Because the uniting theme is historical monuments, each story provides a journey between the past and the present, combining fact and fiction amidst a backdrop of romance. This most recent addition, “Bridge of Gold” by Kimberley Woodhouse, proves to be the most suspenseful thus far, and I often found myself holding my breath in anticipation, which I did not expect but which thrilled me!

Never having visited anywhere west of the Mississippi, “Bridge of Gold” introduced me to life in San Francisco and to the Golden Gate Bridge. As a bona fide country girl with no interest in cities of any size, I honestly did not expect to enjoy this book nearly as much as I did, but I can say without hesitation that it is the most suspenseful novel that I’ve read in the first half of this year. Better yet, Woodhouse employs a creeping sense of dread rather than gruesome horror, evoking a psychological response that resonates with me more than would a visceral one. Although I did have the opportunity of riding in a submarine once, I have never been diving, and it is incredibly fascinating to read about the more primitive techniques utilized in the 1930s and to wonder how anyone survived in such tricky waters as those in the area of the Golden Gate Bridge!

Woodhouse deftly relates this dual-timeline narrative in the third-person, through the perspectives of six different characters. Yet not once did I find myself confused or wondering which character I was reading about, which is a genuine testimony to the author’s skill because I am terrible at remembering names and keeping track of storylines with multiple main characters. The two stories, one occurring in 1933 and one in the present day, synchronize beautifully and retain the plot resolutions to the end. The romance is sweet and tender, but to my delight, the mystery and suspense receive most of the spotlight. Foreshadowing plays heavily into the narrative from the opening chapter, and I could sense the turbulence coming as soon as Margo thought that “It was the perfect ending to a perfect day. The first day of the rest of their lives.” As events unfold for Luke and Margo in the midst of the Great Depression in 1933, Luke tells Margo, “Let us make a promise to one another at this moment that we will seek to keep God first, our marriage relationship next, then our children and family—all of those above the priority of job or money or anything else.” To which Margo agrees that “As long as they kept God first, the rest would fall into place.”

Indeed, the Bible verse that echoes throughout the generations of this story is 1 Timothy 6:10: “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.” Nearly 90 years later, underwater archaeologist Kayla Richardson and head of restoration Steven Michaels find themselves entangled in the same legend, brought to light during repairs to the Bridge’s south tower, and Kayla points out an issue that has become prominent today: the loss of our history. She tells Steven: “History has always been a love of mine. That’s what got me into the field in the first place. I know a lot of people are purely after making a buck. But to me, I think we need to save as much of our history as possible so that future generations can learn about it and from it.” There is so much more at stake than financial gain. In the words of Jesus, “What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?” (Matthew 16:26) Regardless of the time period, these words remain true. Our witness to others about the Lord is a treasure with benefits reaped both here and in eternity.

I received a complimentary copy of this book through Celebrate Lit and was not required to post a favorable review. All opinions are my own.
I have really grown to love dual timeline stories in the past few years, so I was excited about this intriguing novel.  Although this book is part of the Doors to the Past series by Barbour Books Publishing, this novel stands well on its own.  The way the story weaved and ultimately came together was great!  I liked the research the author put into the historical aspect of the story.  The modern storyline was full of suspense and kept my attention.  There is clean romance and great spiritual lessons sprinkled throughout the story.  The characters are likable and believable.  I really enjoyed reading this novel and recommend it to others who enjoy dual timelines!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Celebrate Lit Tours.  Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
"Bridge of Gold" by Kimberley Woodhouse is a  dual timeline novel with suspense in both the past and the present. It is also the third novel in the (Doors to the Past) series but is also a standalone novel.

This book is fiction but based on the building and the repairing of the Golden Gate Bridge. It is also about the greed  and dangerous acts that gold has on three generations in family.

This was an interesting read because this novel was a multifaceted read with facts about underwater divers along with the fiction part of the tale.

There is also a part of the story where Kayla Richardson learns to "Let it Go" and be okay with not knowing who and why and giving to Jesus.  I guess if this has you curious to know what, you need to read the book.

I really liked the ending, it was a real surprise.

I was given a complimentary copy from the author and Celebrate Lit and these opinions are my own.
This split-time story was a delight to read, but not so much fun for the characters involved. The author did a great job bringing to life the broad cast of people and the setting in the various time periods. The mystery takes us from the present-day archeological exploration to several times in the past to round out the intriguing tale. The Golden Gate Bridge is the center of the action, and its tie to the Gold Rush and the waters below the impressive structure span generations of treasure seekers and finders. Kayla and Steven are part of the diving team that tries to unravel the dangerous scene. Threats continue as they did for past explorers, which include one of the divers working on the original construction during the Depression. This compelling novel will hold you in its grasp to the very end. Through a book is the best way to explore the sunken ship and the treasures it contains. I think this would make an exciting movie too. I received a copy from Celebrate Lit. All opinions are my own. #BridgeofGold #NetGalley
This is a great new series, this is a third book and they are all stand alone but each one has been very good, interesting and even insightful. I love learning new things about history and this one was especially interesting as we learn about the Golden Gate Bride and what it took to make that happen.

The author did a great job of feeding my concern for Luke and Margo in 1933 and what might happen to them, or if greed would overtake them.

Kayla was an interesting character as well, as she had some issues she needed to deal with and overcome.

Overall, a very good story.

A copy of this book was given to me through Celebrate Lit. All opinions are my own.
“Certain Moments in Life Define a Person”

What a great opening line! The first thing I wanted to know is whose life we will look at, then, what are their moments. We have a fabulous cast of characters in this dual timeline mystery, in which I was as captivated by the historical elements as the present day. I enjoyed the people in both time periods, especially Kayla, an underwater archaeologist. I also have tremendous admiration for those who did the underwater work in both time periods, as it was frightening for me to even read about!

Margo and Luke are a young couple at the celebration for the groundbreaking for the Golden Gate Bridge in 1933. Luke has a job working underwater on the new bridge; any job is a miracle during the Great Depression. Luke has just proposed to Margo. They are deeply in love and want to marry soon.

Days after he began working, Luke found an old ship in the wall of a cliff far underwater. It is a dangerous location, but he took a quick look in it. Luke found an incredible surprise – a small chunk of gold! Luke and his coworker and close friend from church explored the area again. They both wanted money for their families and split what they found. Then the threats began.

In present day, Kayla is with her counselor. She still struggles from the death of her mother in a hit-and-run auto accident and losing her father to a heart attack only weeks later. If the panic attacks return, she has to stop underwater work until they are gone again. Kayla wants the person who murdered her mother to be punished, and the focus of her life is work and her mother. She eased everyone out of her life, including the Lord.

Kayla was hired by the mayor of San Francisco to go to the remains of a schooner that was found by the contractor doing restoration work on the underwater structure of the Golden Gate. The Lucky Martha sank during the mid-1800’s gold rush with all on board. The thrill for her are the artifacts and other items of historic interest. The thrill for the mayor is the gold. Steven, the owner of the contracting company, went down with Kayla to show her the ship. They found two things that sent Kayla into a spin – a skeleton bound in chains, and a leg bone from a second person, from two different time periods. Steven and his team have been called off work due to the human remains, so they work with Kayla as her crew is on vacation. Then the threats begin, just as they had nearly a century earlier.

I enjoyed this intriguing read and the very likable characters. Luke, Margo, and Steven are people of faith for whom prayer and Bible study are a lifestyle. The Lord begins to break through Kayla’s defenses through circumstances and her friendship with Steven. At least, until someone releases false information about Steven and his company to the press, and he is taken off the job. The author’s research was excellent; I was stunned by how difficult underwater work was in the 1930’s. In many scenes, I felt as if I were there, both in 1933 and the present day. The end is more than satisfactory, especially the surprises! I highly recommend this novel to those who appreciate well-written historical and contemporary novels of intrigue and romance, archaeology, and very human characters who love the Lord.

From a thankful heart: I received a copy of this from Barbour through NetGalley and Celebrate Lit, and this is my honest review.