Cover Image: Bridge of Gold

Bridge of Gold

I love this book. I was a little nervous going in, because my mood lately has been hit and miss on those dual timeline books, but after only a few chapters, I was in. Of course, I shouldn't be surprised. I've loved Kim's historical books as well as her contemporary suspense novels. I expected to be more involved in the historical timeline, since that's my usual take on these time slip novels, but I was actually loving the modern day most! I found the humorous approach exactly what I needed for my stress relief, and I found that some of the struggles Kayla was going through helped me understand some of my own issues. My one complaint was that the book was so short. I wanted it to last longer. I wanted a chance to get more attached to the characters. I also felt that the ending just happened so quickly that I couldn't really catch my breath. But I absolutely would recommend reading it, and even put my copy in the living room of the dorm hoping that the other girls will pick it up and read it during their free time.
"Bridge of Gold" was a nice novel, but I expected more.
It is a dual timeline story which follows six characters over two time periods. In the 1930s, we follow Margo, a young American women, Luke, a French immigrant and builder of the Golden Gate Bridge underwater foundations, and "The Son", who is intent on stealing long-lost gold in the strait. On the other side, in the present day, we follow Kayla, an underwater archeologist commissioned to work on a shipwreck under the Golden Gate Bridge alongside Steven, who does historical restoration, and Flip, a dangerous man obsessed with an underwater treasure.
This is quite a lot of characters' and points of view, which made it slightly hard to follow at the beginning. And while it is interesting to see each character's understanding of the events and their motivations, we end up not truly knowing any character in depth nor fully understanding their evolution. I found the book too short for all the ground it wanted to cover (but at the same time, was happy it didn't last too long!)
I did learn a lot about underwater construction in the 1930s and underwater archeology nowadays, but I never felt immersed in the story because it went too fast and the group wasn't well "set" from the beginning. Some events were barely mentioned (e.g. a certain person's death...) and the psychology evolution of Kayla especially felt very rushed and her faith was dropped into the story a little abruptly. I am not a big fan of Christian elements in fiction, but when it is justified and contributes to the story, I appreciate it. Here, it could have been removed—not that I would suggest it, but just to show it doesn't add to the development of the story. And some characters, like the mayor or the old lady, felt significant but ended up playing a small and rather superficial role, which was disappointing.
Overall, I wasn't completely convinced by this book but appreciated discovering more about underwater work and archeology.
This story was such a wonderful escape. I loved the history, the romance, and the suspense. The two timelines were each captivating to me. It is very well written.
Many thanks to Barbour Publishing and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
This is the last book the True Colors series. You think you know someone and believe you love them then regardless of what others may say doesn’t matter. But when incidents happen that link you betrothed to the crimes, well then the saying “the truth is painful” be comes more than just a saying but becomes life. Emma refuses to believe that her intended is anyone other than a respected businessman who travels.  But then the puzzle pieces begin to connect and she doesn’t like what she sees!    Do I have your attention? Good! Read the book!

Blessings,

Karen

Rating:5*

I received this book as a gift and all opinions are my own.
I enjoyed this third book of the Doors to the Past series. As in all the books so far, the characters were likeable and well written. I enjoyed the theme of the book, archaeology, which I knew very little about, so it was nice to learn a bit. I liked the intrigue and romance in the book, but felt the romance could have been more front and center. Also an element of danger exists, which is always a draw.
At the building of the Golden Gate Bridge, many divers had to be used to help build a firm foundation for the bridge.  When Luke stumbles on a sunken ship along with gold, he finds himself in the midst of a bigger mystery.  Things soon begin to spiral out of control, making Luke wonder if it truly was treasure, he discovered.

Fast forward to the present day, Kayla starts a new project at the Golden Gate Bridge, but she has no idea the project will end up opening many doors for her.  As she unravels the mystery of a sunken ship with the head of restoration, Steven, she finds a treasure of a different kind.  Going back and forth between both settings, the reader is along the ride to piece together the mystery.

Once again, Kimberly Woodhouse has written a story that draws me and keeps me attentive towards the very end.  I was curious how I would like her writing in a contemporary fiction genre since I had only experienced her historical fiction.  Of course, she didn’t disappoint!  I loved learning more about the history of the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco.

The story went back and forth between both time settings with just the right amount of information to keep the reader wondering what would happen next.  There were parts that were predictable but it was all things that you wanted to work out!  There were other parts that kept you in suspense as you wondered how they would turn out.

I have read all the books in this series and I have enjoyed all of them.  Each one can be read as stand alones since they do not coordinate with one another.  I look forward to reading the last book in the series as well as more books by Kimberly Woodhouse.

I would really recommend this book.  I received a complimentary copy of this book.  All opinions are my own and I was not required to leave a positive review.
I really enjoyed reading the book, Bridge of Gold, by Kimberley Woodhouse. This story was a delight to read from the very beginning. The characters intertwined together in a wonderful fashion which captured my attention and had me reeling to find out what would happen next. If you like stories that have romance and mystery added to it, then you will also like reading this book. I look forward to reading other books by Kimberley Woodhouse. Kudos to this author for writing such a remarkable story!#NetGalley#Barbour Publishing

*Thank you to NetGalley and Barbour Publishing for allowing be to read an e-book copy in exchange for my honest opinion.
This book was written very well yet it was not a complete read to me. I felt there could have been more detailed and overall just add a bit more to the story.

I love historical fiction and I could tell the book was very well researched, which I appreciate.
MY THOUGHTS ON THIS BOOK

I really enjoyed reading this book. First of all I find it really special that they author names one of the couples in Bridge of Gold after her own daughter and son-in-law. This is a really nicely written split time novel. I enjoyed getting to know these well crafted characters and especially Steven and Kayla. The dual stories fit together well as the story goes back and forth between the ages. I love the rage with the split time stories these days but If they are not written well, the story is not so good. But this one is perfectly written. Kimberly Woodhouse does a marvelous job writing this story and she also does an amazing job with the details of the story. A lot if research has to have done in order to write such details and I appreciate Woodhouse for her dedicated work in this book.

This is a book everyone can enjoy. It covers a lot, historical and contemporary, mystery, suspense, romance, faith and a whole lot more. I encourage you to check this book out. You will sure love it.!

A special thanks to the author/publisher for a copy of this book. I am not required to write a positive review, the opinions here are mine alone. I am disclosing this with my review in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.
Bridge of Gold by Kimberly Woodhouse is the third book in the Doors to the Past series, but it can be read as a stand-alone dual-time novel. Woodhouse has characters from the late 1800s to the 1930s. Human remains are found at the Golden Gate bridge, and archaeologist Kayla Richard and restoration expert Steven Michaels led the investigation. As they work together, romantic chemistry develops, but can their newfound love survive when their lives are threatened?
Bridge of Gold by Kimberley Woodhouse is the third installment in Barbour Books Doors to the Past series. This split-time romance mystery revolves around the building of the Golden Gate Bridge and the finding of a shipwreck.

During the heart of the Great Depression, Luke and Margo are trying to make their way together, Luke as a diver for the building of the south tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. When he stumbles upon a gold nugget from a shipwreck, their lives take a dangerous and mysterious turn.

I found the diving information incredibly fascinating, especially the details surrounding Luke’s dives from the 1930s. The hardship of the 30s also seeped into the pages of Luke and Margo’s story. For Kayla and Steven, the mystery was as murky as the water they dove in and the tangle didn’t resolve until the very end.

Bridge of Gold is a fascinating tale of history and mystery, gold and shipwrecks, and the cost of greed.

—
I received a complimentary copy of this book from JustRead Tours. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with FTC guidelines.
This is mediocre Christian fiction. I have read good, five star Christian fiction; so I know it exists. I am not a reader of Christian fiction exclusively; therefore, I gave this book the benefit of the doubt and awarded it 2 stars. Possibly readers who are more invested in this genre would enjoy this novel more than I did.
There is so much wrong with it, I should just make a list.
1. It is a short book, but the author tried to cram so many story lines into it, that she was not able to fully develop any of them. The protagonist is grappling with the accidental death of her mother in a hit and run auto accident. This plot has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the novel. It is left unresolved. She merely decides to "trust God" and leaves it at that. Why even include this subplot? It just wasted space that could have been invested in the main idea of the novel.
2. The murder mystery was very intriguing and could have been the basis for a great novel. It is why I decided to request this novel from NetGalley. As a Christian book, I did not expect gore, grit and sex; but the author did not even deliver a well-developed mystery. A descendant of one of the original bridge workers came out of the woodwork and explained the whole thing. That was just too easy and not at all satisfying. This could have been such a great story. It remains unrealized. I would love to see a different author take on this topic.
3. The romance between the two main characters in the modern day timeline was corny and stupid. I wanted a mystery. This book is a sappy romance with some scuba diving going on in the background. The author must have dedicated at least 10 of the scant pages in this book to what these two love birds were eating. She devoted even more to senseless banter between them. She was trying to establish their relationship, mutual interests, etc. Yawn. Give me the mystery promised in the teaser!
4. The bad guys were barely present. A few scenes about the bad guys were inserted just to let the reader know there is indeed a foe somewhere out there. The police initially dismissed the threatening notes. Then the mayor fired our two heroes one after the other based on anonymous tips, one of which was texted on a burner phone. The mayor is an idiot. I was beginning to wonder if the author is also an idiot. This book was written with all of the sophistication of a high school English assignment. The author seems to have no real world experience. She is just writing a simplistic romance with some distractions spoiling the couple's fun.

What else? I guess that's enough. Really, I think this is a one star book or maybe even less. And this is part of a series. I will not be reading any more of these simple-minded disasters.
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Sometimes I find dual-timeline stories confusing, but I loved the way the author wove the historical into the present day.  I had no idea about the perils the divers endured during the building of the Golden Gate Bridge; how brave they were!  This third in the Doors to the Past series was a book I found spell-binding as there’s suspense, physical danger, interesting history, with a little romance sprinkled in.  The Lucky Martha was a ship that had sunk during the gold rush and divers discovered it during the construction of the bridge, leading to more than just the discovery of a ship. I found the story of Luke and Margo heart-warming yet chilling.

I received a copy of this book from Barbour Publishing through NetGalley and was under no obligation to write a positive review.
I love dual timeline books and when it is from the historical fiction genre, I’m definitely a huge fan.  The author has done a wonderful job of sharing an amazing story based on things I never knew.  The building of the Golden Gate Bridge and the difficulties the diverse experienced were interesting.  The Christian theme was refreshing.  And, while romance was a part of the story, it wasn’t too syrupy sweet.  The mystery kept my attention and I loved the twists from both timelines.

I have not read the earlier books in the series, but am looking forward to getting lost in those stories.  And I will definitely be reading more books by the author.

Thank you to NetGalley and Barbour Publishing, Inc. for my advanced review copy.  All opinions and thoughts are my own.
Great story, a while ago I read and enjoy The Golden Bride(a great book) So this story was a joy. In chapter one we are in an important historical moment on February 26, 1933, when was the ceremony of the groundbreaking for the construction of the Gold Gate Bridge, we first meet Margo and Luke. They are celebrating their engagement and even amid the Great Depression, they have hope for a better and new future. While the chapters we learn about the huge life and death challenge the divers(in this case Luke) had to face, while working he found a golden nugget,  little by little bad things start to happen and then we meet our villain a man who has been blind greed.

In the story of the present, we have Kayla who is an archeologist underwater, she has been struggling due to some personal problems and she is hired to work with Steve in the reconstruction project and others find the mayor hopes will help the city. I love how Kimberley Woodhouse gives everyone(even the villains) a voice, truly grateful for that. In my opinion that makes a story richer. An unexpected, but lovely love story, I like how the author took their time to show each main character their struggle and also how they found God there.
Well written, great historical elements, descriptions, characters, suspense, and faith. This story is good and worthy of your time. I love the end, thank you. It’s nice to finish a book and not have any answered questions. Well done to the author and everyone who work to make it possible.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free digital copy for review, all opinions are my own.
Multi-layered storyline. blending the past w/ the present.  Adventurous.  Well rounded characters.  Historical.  Contemporary.  Another winner by Kimberley Woodhouse.  Five stars.
Bridge of Gold is yet another great addition to the Doors to the Past series. I have loved this series and Kimberley Woodhouse’s contribution was not a disappointment. It was a great tale that takes readers to the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California. As Kayla and Steven become quite the team when they have to investigate unsolved murders and newly discovered treasure from the Gold Rush era. I was hooked right the start and was captivated all the way to the end. I found myself wrapped up in the mystery and had to find out how it would be solved.

I am giving Bridge of Gold a very well deserved five plus stars. I highly recommend it for readers who enjoy reading clean historical romantic suspense.
This is an absolutely incredible dual-time romantic suspense novel!

All of the main characters are incredibly well developed. I fell in love with all four of them. Their personalities were presented in a way that I felt as if I could meet them in my own community.

Margo and Luke have so much difficulty in everyday life living in 1933. It was wonderful getting a look at how the depression affected each person that was alive. I loved reading about the type of equipment that was used and the problems that were faced by the divers who were working to build the south tower of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Kayla and Steven had things much easier when they were diving around the south tower in present day diving equipment. Though they still had all of the problems with visibility and current to contend with. It just fascinated me.

The mystery and suspense that arose around the skeleton that was found was fantastic. It completely sucked me in and had me staying up much later than I should have to finish the book and get the answers.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher, through NetGalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All of the opinions expressed are my own.
This New Split-Time Series Keeps Getting Better and Better
I’ll just say it.  Bridge of Gold by Kimberley Woodhouse is wonderful. I can’t decide if the history behind the story is what gives it so much depth and richness or if the contrast and similarities between yesteryear and today makes that difference. All I know is this book kept me riveted from the moment we met Luke and Margo until the last page of Kayla and Steven’s story.

When you have four main characters of a book, it’s easy for them to become a bit homogenous, but even in the characters’ similarities, they are very distinct, unique people.  Add a few flaws combined with the personality virtues, and you have protagonists I just love!

I will say if I have a criticism, it’s that the villains/antagonists are more of a one-note. They all have gold fever and it just comes out in all the same ways.  Not gonna lie, though.  I really didn’t care.  The book was too good for me to care.

Even better?
Spiritual arcs. With four protagonists, there are four.  And they’re all unique, rich, and yet simple, too.  Woodhouse didn’t overthink the changes and growth her characters needed, and because of that, she didn’t overwork them either.

Seriously, you have two wonderful stories full of rich history and fascinating lives that converge into a novel you’ll be thinking of for ages.  Seriously, if I hadn’t promised this book to a friend, it would get a permanent place on my shelf.  And yes, that means I’ll probably be ordering myself another copy.

Recommended for lovers of both historical and contemporary fiction, split-time fiction, and suspense/mystery.  It has them all.  I am so grateful to the publisher for providing the review copy, but as I said. I’ll likely be buying myself a new one.
I have a particular affinity for books set in places I've visited before. And San Francisco is unique in that I've been there multiple times and have already visited several locations I first read about in Christian-fiction books.

So, that itself boded well as I started reading 'Bridge of Gold,' the third book in the Doors to the Past series. I may have read this one out of order, after discovering with Book 4 (Rachel Scott McDaniels' 'Undercurrent of Secrets') that there even was a series - but that's part of the series' beauty, as each installment is standalone.

The San Francisco setting came to life vividly for me in this read. I could easily picture the weather, the bay, and of course, the Golden Gate Bridge--and realized just how long it's been since I was last there (11 years, if you were curious). I loved learning more about the bridge's construction; much like the author, I infinitely prefer breathing above water and not being a diver, either in present day or the 1930s. I'll take a hard pass on that, thank you!

The book really kind of had a 'National Treasure' or 'Night at the Museum' vibe to it that I absolutely loved. Frankly, I couldn't get enough of the history and setting ... and maybe post-pandemic (I hear life outside pandemics exists ...!) I'll pay the pretty city another visit. In the interim, this is a great read to take me there virtually. The characters were charming and endearing, and I learned a great deal about the bridge's construction and diving across the ages.

I received an eARC of the book from the publisher via NetGalley. All opinions are my own.