Cover Image: Move, Connect, Play

Move, Connect, Play

This book was received as an ARC from St. Martin's Press - St. Martin's Essentials in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I learned a lot from this book not only for the physical aspect of acro yoga but, for the mental aspect of acro yoga. I loved the photos taken and for us visual learners, this would be a dream to learn. My husband and I are looking for more exercises to do together and from the positions demonstrated by Jason and how to correctly perform the techniques, it will take some time but, it's still definitely something I would like to learn. I know there are a handful of people who study or potentially study yoga, meditation, health and wellness and they will most definitely appreciate what this book has to offer.

We will consider adding this title to our R Non-Fiction collection at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.
This book is really intriguing! It introduces AcroYoga with many pictures and detailed instructions on technique and form. I liked that they showed both correct and incorrect form to help the reader recognize proper technique.  There are many step by step pictures throughout!
This was a very interesting and well put together book. I liked how we we’re introduced to the various yoga/stretch positions. They really help to lengthen and strengthen your body for the next phase. If you’re serious you can with some practice learn handstands and other intricate poses. There’s lots of guidance in this book that will lead you to wherever you want to be or take your yoga practice. The prompts are easy to follow and there are a lot of pictures for guidance. I feel like if your goal is acrobatic yoga then this is definitely the book for you.
This is a helpful wealth of information on acroyoga. I enjoyed this very much and I highly recommend to anyone needing more information.
This book was not what I was looking for or wanting. So I have to pass on it. I found it not to my liking more technical and not inspirational as I thought it would be.
This is a highly technical book explaining the origins of AcroYoga. This combines the movements used in acrobatics, therapeutics, and, of course, yoga. It is community based, the smallest number of those involved is three. The two performing the techniques like "flying a person." This goes back to when you were a child and a parent would fly (holding onto hands), or for me, it was my stomach, and you "fly" over the individual. With adults, there is a spotter to assist in this process for safety reasons.

Because I was hoping AcroYoga was something you could do with a partner as an exercise, my interest dropped off. I thought it was a form of exercise that would benefit us both emotionally and physically. But due to the level of technical difficulty of the different poses, a spotter is imperative to prevent injuries. Anyone, even paraplegics, have been "flown" by the author (co-founder of AcroYoga) and found it both physically therapeutic and emotionally satisfying.  The intensity of the movements releases endorphins and can loosen up your spine, which is therapeutic.

I had a difficult time reading this book because it read like a textbook, explaining the origins, the growth of this movement, etc. Personally, my "community" is small. Knowing my husband and I couldn't do these exercises without the assistance of a spotter was disappointing.

However, if your social circle is bigger, and all are invested in AcroYoga there are many benefits of investing time and energy into this endeavor. The emotional dialogue and sense of community among the three individuals alone is therapeutic.
I went back and forth on this title. I started with three stars: this is for serious people, not getting people just interested in the topic. The front half is text loaded but soon full-color pictures were abdunant and gave great visuals for the taste.
Then I raised it to the four stars once I got to the chapter about relationships. There were things in this chapter that I could take to my life, not just this hobby/profession. I was enjoying the book at this point.
Then the floor fell out and I leave this book at two stars. There is a chapter in health and discusses how our body can heal itself, yada yada yada. This excludes people with disabilities who could complete the tasks but can not heal their own bodies. I have a primary immune deficiency; healing is not my birthright
While this is a good instructional book it is ableist as all get out.
This is a comprehensive book about partner or acroyoga. While I barely practice individual yoga, I’m very familiar with it, and I wanted to see what this yoga style was all about, and see if there were any poses I could adapt for improving my balance.

The book is terrific. It starts with a strong introduction to the various types of yoga and then provides a solid introduction to acroyoga. One thing that stands out is that “flying yoga” is FUN. I found myself wishing I were younger, stronger, and had a partner with whom I could explore these interesting and new postures. The poses are described step by step in easy to follow detail and are accompanied by excellent photos.

This book is a must have for anyone exploring this style of yoga, and even this non-practitioner can recommend it without hesitation.

I received this book as an ARC from the publisher and NetGalley.
Date reviewed/posted: June 8, 2021
Publication date: August 24, 2021

When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you are continuing to #maskup and #lockdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #thirdwave ( #fourthwave #fifthwave?) is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. Plus it is hot as all heck and nothing is more appealing than sitting in front of a fan with a kindle.!

I will recommend this book to friends, family, patrons, book clubs, and people reading books in the park as we do … I have had some of my best conversations about books down by the Thames!

Move, Connect, Play is a book detailing the core principles of AcroYoga, a practice that melds the spectacle of circus arts with the healing power of massage and the breathwork of yoga.

Get ready to learn how to fly.

AcroYoga is a movement practise that combines the balance and connection of yoga with the fitness and intensity of acrobatics, as well as the holistic healing power of physical therapy. People come to it for all kinds of reasons—they may have chronic pain and are looking for a long-term solution to manage it, they may want to lose weight, gain muscle or increase their mobility, or maybe they just want to experience it with their friends or partners to deepen their relationships. Some even just want to have some fun together.

In Move, Connect, Play, founder of AcroYoga International Jason Nemer shares the core principles of AcroYoga for athletic performance and for life, as well as 10 key areas of training (strength, flexibility, technique, balance, breath, gravity, relationships, mental, emotional, and sustainability). He also offers specific exercises and routines for how to train safely and effectively in each area.

This is a book that millions of AcroYogis around the world have long been waiting for, and one that is an essential read for high-performance athletes, weekend health warriors, and spiritual seekers alike

Pigs are more likely to fly than I am!!! I do not get this book. At all. I can see why the millennials would eat this book up as those darn influencers would make a lot of money off of posts doing AcroYoga like this but unless you are tiny, fit, do CrossFit and have spent years doing yoga, this is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!  There was a lot to read and a few poses here and there but there is no way ANYONE AND I MEAN ANYONE is going to be able to do this method of exercise after reading this book.  I am the stronger one, muscle-strength wise, in my family and I could not balance my little piece of French toast husband on me any more than ... pigs could fly.

I appreciate the science, I appreciate the art but I cannot even think of one person to who I could or would recommend this book to aside from the influencers that I love to mock.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it one (🐖✈)
...I have to give it a rating, so one flying pig it is!
What an absolutely fascinating book. I am not sure I will be able to convince my partner to join me in AcroYoga but even if I can't,  the journey of reading this book was entirely worth it. It introduced me to new concepts, both physically and spiritually, and was a pure joy to read.
Move, Connect, play introduces readers to the concept of acroyoga. Using the general concepts of yoga but expanding upon them by adding play to the mix.