Cover Image: Willie Nelson's Letters to America

Willie Nelson's Letters to America

Letters written to himself, people in his life, both past and present, stories behind song lyrics and reflections on life. Honest and funny - thanks to NetGalley for a copy.
Willie Nelson is a national treasure that doesn't get the love he deserves sometimes. I loved reading his letters to various people in his life, showing his compassionate nature. A must have gift for any music lover or kind soul.
I've always had a soft spot for Willie Nelson and his music, even though country isn't my usual choice of music. He was a favorite of my grandfather, and so as I grew up I became very familiar with his voice. As I've grown older, I'm delighted to get to know Willie better through his writing as well as his music.

Willie has spent his new-found free time during the pandemic writing heartfelt letters to everyone from his heroes to his guitar, resulting in a genuinely sweet, feel-good real. It was literally like sitting around having a conversation with Willie, and I can’t think of a better way to spend the afternoon. He is absolutely a national treasure.

I’m so grateful to Harper Horizon and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review Willie Nelson’s Letters to America. And I am also grateful to @willienelsonofficial for sharing his words and music with us.
A beautiful, inspiring, and thought-provoking collection from one's of America's own national treasures. In these "letters," Willie is at once a poet, historian, and philosopher. His decades as a touring musician, social justice advocate, and activist have given him insight into the plights faced by so many Americans - and his compassionate wisdom shines through this collection as it does in many of his songs.
I have loved Willie Nelson's music since I was a little girl and this was a much anticipated read.

This is a compilation of letters written by Willie Nelson to people living, and some who who have passed on and even his famous guitar, Trigger!  It is a chronological combination of snap-shots from his early childhood in Texas to today, dealing with the modern day issues.

Throughout there is a positive, upbeat energy to his words.

I especially enjoyed the song lyrics included throughout the book.
Amazing to read about a legend - lately I am more interested in the lives and thoughts of important figures. Thank you for the great read.
Willie Nelson wrote this memoir during the pandemic as a tribute to his family, his friends, his music, and to America. He writes about his roots and how his family led him to the love of music through singing in the church and at family gatherings. He jokes about his "overnight" success after spending many years as a songwriter and singer. He honors his friends and his family with letters and songs and intersperses his anecdotes with jokes. He reveals his love for all kinds of music and his collaborations with great musicians and writers.
Willie's ethos is built on love of family and America and a desire to improve the condition of America's family farmers, especially through his LiveAid concerts. He talks about his views on marijuana, voting rights, and other issues that are dear to him. Mostly, he affirms the strength and resilience of America and makes a plea for unity and love. He sees his music as a unifying force and can't wait to get back on the road again.
A wonderful, feel good book.
Recommended for anyone who needs a smile.
i loved reading Willie Nelson's memoir, it was so well done and interesting. The writing was well done and I enjoyed the stories in this memoir.
Have you ever wondered what Willie thought about Americans and the past?  Or maybe his hero?  Or maybe his family?  Then this is definitely a book you should read.  Maybe you are just a huge fan of Willie's, either way, you should pick this one up to read!
This was SO good. I love Willie Nelson. The book is like you’re sitting around talking with or listening to him. He tells a lot about his life and his music. Also about friendship and family. This is a treat of a read and I highly recommend it.
Lots of advice from Willie.  No surprise here.  He has always been vocal.  The letters I think are his way of filling time during Covid.  The book reads like excerpts from interviews.  The only real surprise for me was seeing all the people he knew.  Stars from all walks.  Names I knew, but had never attached to Willie.

This is a nice read, that I enjoyed.  There is profanity.

Thank you NetGalley, Willie Nelson, Turk Pipkin, and Harper Horizon for accepting my request to read and review this book.

#NetGalley
#WillieNelson
#TurkPipkin
#HarperHorizon
#WillieNelsonsLettersToAmerica.
Growing up in Waco I have always had an inexplicable draw to Willie. His music is the soundtrack to my childhood and I love him like a family member I just haven't met yet, and this book is the perfect evidence for why. His kindness and wisdom shines through each letter. I smiled the whole time I was reading and fought the urge to cry too..
Oh Willie! You sweet, sweet soul. I adored these stories and letters to America. He shares his journey in his career, explaining how his music had brought together very diverse populations. He strives for an America where we are bonded and kind toward each other.
This was a nice light nostalgic read. Willie writes letters to those in his memory and those still alive, I enjoyed this book. It is more of a retrospective look on life and less of an introspective view. It’s down to earth with all heart and soul from Willie and that’s what makes it touching.
This was a nice light read :) I enjoyed the jokes and songs throughout . I didn’t know much about Willie Nelson before reading this and this book definitely gave me a little insight to his life and how he came to be where he is now . Overall enjoyed it but found it a little boring in parts .
...We lost Jerry Jeff (Walker) this past year, but I like to remember him for all the fun times we had together. In the old days, he had a reputation for drinking, and told me once that the only difference between him and Hank Williams was that Hank went backstage to throw up!...

Willie Nelson took the pandemic to task and wrote a slew of letters to friends and family both dead and alive. Some a little corny, but that’s Willie, jokes and all. However, his advice should not be taken lightly.

...“Don’t think no negative thoughts.” When you put a negative thought into your mind and body, it poisons your system. Worry will make you sick. But I’ve never seen worrying about something change it. Instead of always having a worried mind, I decided not to worry…

Amen. But it’s hard sometimes.Especially when it’s a shitstorm out there. But it passes. As do we.

...Zeke and Johnny, Waylon and Merle, have all moved on. If missing them would bring them back, I’d miss ‘em the whole day long. But missing ain’t living, and living works best when you’re strong…

These letters are sort of a goodbye to everybody and a plea for the country to get its shit together. Hope it’s not too late. Miracles can happen.
Willie’s letters are full of soul, full of hope, and full of love for fellow Americans.  I loved this book and enjoyed a day on the beach contemplating his thoughts on paper. Wonderful
Many thanks to Harper Horizon and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Sweet look into the mind of one of country music's greats!! Truly enjoyed his sense of humor throughout. So many little giggles, big laughs, and truly heartfelt moments in this story!
Apart from some bad language & off-colour jokes, I have otherwise enjoyed these letters from an old friend, touching on many subjects & ranging over a lifetime. Willie Nelson just seems to go on forever, he never tires of coming up with something new & fresh. Where it would be understandable for him to rest on his laurels, instead he continues performing, recording, & supporting the environment & people’s rights. Maybe he is the conscience of the country...?
Willie Nelson's take on his songs and life. I was able to get early access to this one through NetGalley. I found it interesting read and thankful for the opportunity to do so.