Member Review

Pub Date:

Review by

Misty M, Reviewer

My Recommendation

Ladies and gentlemen, Sue Watson has done it again! Of course, by β€˜done it again,’ I mean she has completely blown my mind with her writing! 🀯 I don't know how she does it; with each new release, I'm left thinking, WOW, this has been her best one yet! It never fails; each time I *think* I have it all figured out and practically lose my mind in anticipation of finally getting it right, then BOOM! Just a snap, crackle, and pop, and I'm all twisted up again! β€œπ•‹π•™π•– 𝔽𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 β„π• π•žπ•–β€ is no exception!

The Anderson’s have always been the picture-perfect family on screen but what goes on behind the scenes tells a darker tale. Our story starts with a 47-year-old wife and mother, Carly, trying to hold it all together while playing hostess at her and her husband Mark’s 25th wedding anniversary when everything comes crashing down. While his trysts weren't exactly new to her, the latest went a bit too far. In the end, Carly finds a way to not only fight for herself but also do what she's always done best, fight for her children and her forever home. 🏠

While a few of the characters were quite despicable, Carly was one to root for. She wasn't flawless by any means; she had her secrets, blow-ups, and vices, sure, but she was also relatable and kind-hearted - a loving mother and maternal figure through and through. Sometimes as mothers, we get so preoccupied taking care of life’s details and putting out the fires that we tend to overlook the fact that kids catch on to far more than we give them credit for, both the good and the bad. Carly's internal monologue of her mothering journey, in a hindsight perspective, helps bring her character to life and tie the story together in more ways than one.

I loved how there were absolutely zero loose ends in β€œπ•‹π•™π•– 𝔽𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 β„π• π•žπ•–,” the fact that everyone was made to look suspect at one point or another, and that the final twist was just as jaw-dropping as I’d hoped it would be!
✨

Many thanks to NetGalley, the author Sue Watson, and the publishers at Bookouture for my advanced copy of this ebook and my spot on this Books-on-Tour event! I have honestly and voluntarily reviewed this title.