Cover Image: Purely Italian. A cookbook

Purely Italian. A cookbook

The introduction to this book says it best: "This book is a celebration of Italian cuisine. As you will see, Italian food isn't hard to cook, allowing even a beginner to produce great meals with little effort."

As a half-Italian who a) looks Italian, and b) has an Italian name, one would think I'm a far better cook than I actually am. Instead, I'm a college student who can fumble through carbonara and desperately pray for assistance with anything more difficult. Purely Italian cookbook was super helpful with some basic recipes that I wouldn't have been able to master on word-of-mouth alone, and is written in a concise way so it was easy to follow. Additionally, it didn't require any crazy ingredients or magic kitchen appliances, which was important for a beginner and college student budget. All in all, I'll continue using this book-- especially the tiramisu ;)
Beautiful Italian food to try out for yourself using this book. Photographs are vibrant and appealing, easy to follow format and with excellent results. Although I love hardback cookery books, this is my first e-cookery book I shall be using it frequently, I am converted. Actually managed the risotto., another first. Thank you #NetGalley for the copy to review.
A small but beautiful cookbook with delicious, tempting photos and easy to follow recipes. It is one I would welcome on my bookshelf for when I fancy authentic Italian food.
Lots of classic Italian recipes in here. Some that I've made before and others that I'd never even heard of. I look forward to trying out the bolognaise recipe and some of the desserts look fantastic. Very nice
I absolutely love Italian food, and I'm so excited to try a few of the recipes in Simply Italian. The recipes are straightforward with beautiful pictures.
A bright, easy to follow little cook book with classic Italian recipes. Perfect as an introduction to Italian cooking.

I was given a copy of Purely Italian, A cookbook by NetGalley and the publishers in return for an unbiased review.
I enjoyed reading this cookbook.  The directions are easy to follow with ingredients that we may already have in our pantry and there are photos.  I cannot wait to try these recipes out!  Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher, and author for a gifted copy.  This is my honest review.
I gave up on this cookbook shortly after flipping through a few recipes. I love Italian food, but the typos and errors in this book leave me confused and unsure. I saw one recipe calling for chili paper. Is there a such thing? Or is it a typo for chili pepper? I have no clue. Another said sb sp olive oil. I was wondering what that could mean when I noticed other recipes said tb sp instead of tbsp and assumed this one to mean tbsp, but with a typo of the first t and with that confusing space between the letters. I don't want to have to decipher what these things mean while trying to learn a new dish. I also did not like the measurements being in g and ml most of the time. For these reasons I did not like this recipe book and have rated it two stars.
Excellent Italian cookbook filled with traditional common Italian recipes made with easy to find ingredients. Filled with 30 of the most popular breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert dishes with pictures of each recipe.
Easy to follow Italian recipes with mouth watering photos.
There are lots of recipes listing all the ingredients and I can’t wait to try them.
Thank you to NetGalley and BooksGoSocial for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
I read this ARC for an honest review
All thoughts and opinions are mine

Being half Italian, I am always looking for inspiration with Italian food

This is what I would call a good beginners book with the recipes here.  I found it very reminiscent of recipes taught to me by my nonna - highly complimentary

I loved the simplicity of the ingredients as this is very much what I was taught growing up.  Its all about simple, few, but the best ingredients then you can't go wrong with the results.

Its a book I would keep in the background and I think its nice to have these recipes written down unlike lots of my nonnas recipes which are not !!!
Molto Buono! I grew up with an Italian mother and these recipes are very reminiscent of her recipes. Believe me that’s a compliment. The Sugo recipe looks really good if you don’t have a recipe passed down from an Italian Nonna.
I was not disappointed by the recipes.  A wonderful recipe book, with simple and few ingredients, which makes a change from a long list of ingredients,  I have to try them  but must wait till I try them one at a time. I intend to use the kindle as a reference book, and do just that. Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for giving me an advance copy of this book.
Italian cooking is highly regional and varies from town to town, even from one village to the next only 3 km away.  It is practically a language unto itself!  As I live part time in the Mediterranean, looking at this book gave me joy.  I love, love Italy!  And the cuisine is pure magic.  Several of my favourite recipes are included in this book and I've had some version of nearly all of them, many of them often.  During covid restraints, it is lovely to be transported to Italy in an instant.  It is a joy to prepare Italian recipes here in North America yet it is impossible to perfectly capture the essences and nuances of Italy.  It's just not the same.  However, the recipes can surely bring back wondrous multi-sensory memories.  Cooking should be with and from the heart and a pleasure.

This extremely short book includes mouthwatering recipes such as Risotto con Spinaci, Pasta alla Norma, Pasta e Fagioli (one of my favourites), Linguine alla Genovese, Spigola all'acquapazza (Sea Bass Cooked in "Crazy" Water) and Polenta con Salsiccia (Polenta with Sausages).  And that pizza....mmmm!  I love that in Italy sauces are made to enhance, not to drown.  There are even desserts such as Crostata di Ricotta (Ricotta Cake Roman Style).

My only complaint is that there are many spelling and grammatical errors which should have been caught during editing.  However, I fully understand translation/language issues.

My sincere thank you to BooksGoSocial and NetGalley for the privilege of salivating over the e-ARC of this book riddled with nostalgia!
This short cookery book is beautifully illustrated, with full page colour plates of every item.  Each recipe is neatly presented on separate pages, making it much easier if you wish to use, for example, a tablet device whilst you cook.  It has a reasonable range of recipes.

However, I found the frequent errors (which have been mentioned by others) distracting.  Some of them related to ingredients, which could lead to a bit of a disaster if you are not well-skilled in the kitchen - there's a huge difference between a teaspoon and a tablespoon, and when the "tsp" abbreviation is used for both, it could be a recipe for disaster!  Readers will need to keep an eye on the alternative measurements (5ml or 15ml, for example).

Another (minor) problem for UK readers might be that oven temperatures are only given in centrigrade and fahrenheit, but not in suitable settings for gas ovens.  However, obtaining a conversion chart is quite easy.
Nobody expects perfection from an ARC, but due diligence by the author shows a respect for the reader.
Here we have a cookbook with mouthwatering traditional Italian recipes for pasta dishes, mains and desserts. There is fabulous food styling, appetising images, great layout...and then you start reading.
The text is crawling with typos, grammar and punctuation errors, the instructions at times barely intelligible. Granted, the author is not a native speaker, but that’s where a proofreader/editor comes in.
Still gets three stars for the recipes/styling, but I leave you with a small selection of my finds:

“Now simmer it for 2 house, always stirring from time to time.”
“ (...) it became a signature dish of the middle-age Italian cuisine.”
“Serve the pasta alla Norma with the dust of Parmigiano.
If you want to stick to the tradition, though, you should swat the Parmigiano with the salty ricotta.”
“340 g Strong ( Bread) flour plus for dasting”
“8 tbsp Tomato passata or blended pilled tomatoes”
“Wait until the temperature riches 220C”
“milk in the cooked bechamel souse”
“Drain the pasta (...) but leave aside a cooking water cup.”
“Chili paper”
“In a saucepan, heat the 2 tbsp of on medium heat”
“By this mine pasta and vegetables should be ready.”
“Genoese linguine with potatoes and green beans are ready to serve.until it is no longer pink and lightly seared.”
“If you manage to safe some ‘ncasciata pasta for the next day, it will be even tastier.”
“Occasionally bedew fishes with sauce.”
“Add little by little water if you fill the mixture hard”
“Place in a large bawl grated courgettes”
“Simmer the sauce, occasionally tiring, for 30 minutes.”
“15 g raisings”
“Add salt (best to add salt to the end; otherwise, it may harden)“
“Beat the egg whites with the rest of the sugar until stiff picks.”
“250 g plane flour”
Date reviewed/posted: April 17, 2021
Publication date: March 20, 2021

When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you are continuing to #maskup and #lockdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #thirdwave ( #fourthwave #fifthwave?) is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today.

Welcome, or rather Benvenuti, to this journey into Italian cuisine.

In Italy, food is the main topic of conversation (after football, for men).

In my experience, I’ve seen very few people in the world discussing food during dinner. This passion for eating well is widespread in the bel Paese. It’s also the source of heated disputes between villages, which causes a lot of variety in some of the world’s most renowned recipes.

Italian restaurants and Italian food have conquered the whole planet. However, this incredible success has also led us to lose touch with traditional recipes, as they are still prepared in Italy.

This book is a celebration of Italian cuisine. As you will see, Italian food isn’t hard to cook, allowing even a beginner to produce great meals with little effort.

My husband loves Italian food - that is, Spaghetti and Meatballs and garlic bread which no real Italian restaurant would serve to people anywhere...just ask Joe Bastianich his opinion on that. (lol with an eye roll...) This is the 3rd book in a series and it is a very small book - just 74 pages - but I wish that it was a bigger book as there are some great recipes in here and there could be a lot more, especially as I am one of the few people on the planet that does not like pasta. The recipes are well written and understandable by cooks of all levels and the photos make the food very appealing to myself and other lovers of food out there.

What I especially love about the book is that it uses mostly whole ingredients instead of pre-prepared and packaged foods. I do draw the line at making my own cheese beyond a quickly-made mozzarella, and canning tomatoes but the more "ingredients" you use the better.  My one nephew says that I never have any food in my house, only ingredients --- that is why I cook so much. I also refuse to eat or cook with Frankenfoods such as "chick'n" and its 88 ingredients vs. 🐔chicken🐔 having one and cheese that does not come from an animal is udder nonsense!)

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🍜🍜🍜🍜