Cover Image: Christmas Is Coming

Christmas Is Coming

What a beautiful book! I love the illustrations and I learned so much about holiday traditions around the world. As soon as I finished reading the ARC provided to me by the publisher, I ordered a hard copy to read to my kids. Can't wait to use this book during Advent this year.
Christmas is my favorite season, and books set and also related to this time of the year always draw my attention. And the book here comes with many of the explanations and stories So We can understand Whe, who, when and Why our currently actual traditions originated, all that in a clear and easy way to be read.
Not going to review this book

Incomprehensible to an American or non-Christian audience because it can't discriminate between local and widespread traditions, or between legend and belief and history.
This is one of the most beautiful Christmas books I have ever seen. It is an incredible book filled with traditions from around the world. I will be ordering a physical copy of this book to share with my kids at this holiday season and for many seasons to come.
I love all things Christmas!  I loved this book.  It is always interesting to see how other cultures celebrate.  My only critique is that I think it would have been neat to include actual photographs of the celebrations.
Monika Utnik-Strugala's book, Christmas is Coming, is a fun adventure around the world.  Highly informative, this book presents holiday traditions and history from the Americas, Europe, and a little bit of Asia and Australia.  Christmas is Coming covers some of the more well known traditions including Christmas trees, the Nutcracker, and Christmas carols.  There are also lesser known traditions like how nativity scenes came about and the tradition of hanging a Christmas tree upside down.  Does anyone know the purpose of this tradition?

This is such a wonderful, information-packed book.  Our plan is to utilize it in our morning basket time during the Advent season.  I would recommend reading a section each morning leading up to Christmas and planning some picture books or projects to go along with it.  This would be a great study to usher in the holidays.  And I can't wait to share I with my kids.

*Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
I received this book from the publisher through Netgalley for review and all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Did you ever wonder about the many traditions and festivals surrounding the holidays and Christmas? This book covers many of these, the stories, the foundations of faiths and tales of jolly gift givers.  From ornaments to trees, this book covers all aspects of the season. Enjoyable reading and seems geared to the middle school aged child.
The Christian faith account is told from Catholic and Protestant perspectives. Very interesting and beautifully illustrated.
Thank you NetGalley and North South Books for a copy of "Christmas is Coming: Traditions from Around the World" in exchange for my honest review.

This is a fantastic book for young and old alike. The charming illustrations match the old world feel of the stories from around the world.

The stories will answer children's (and adults) questions about why we celebrate certain things and why we celebrate in certain ways. We learn why we celebrate on the 25th of December, the meaning of Advent and the Advent calendar, Christmas markets, how ornaments came to be, Midnight Mass, the Star of Bethlehem, Mistletoe, Holly, Poinsettia, the place set for the unexpected guest, the food and drink of the holidays, why we sing carols, do the animals really speak at midnight, the Nutcracker, Santa Claus, presents and so many more fascinating facts about Christmas.

The stories bring traditions from Sweden, Norway, Greece, Italy, Poland, Mexico, Slovakia, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Spain, Columbia, the Philippines, Germany to life.

There is a fun glossary at the end with how to wish a Merry Christmas in other languages, the name of Santa Claus.

This is a wonderful book that would be a great addition to any family's holiday traditions.
This is a beautiful and comprehensive book of various Christmas traditions from around the world. It is fact-based and goes into cultural history, the meanings of symbols, and analyzes Christmas stories. I love this approach and learned a lot from this book. I think it's great for any age group, but would definitely be fascinating for older children. The artwork is also lovely.
This was a lovely book on Christmas traditions from around the world, some well known, others less so.
The illustrations were lovely, colorful and had a traditional feel. The text was easy to follow for even my younger kiddos, and the language was appropriate for the audience.
This is a really well-researched book about Christmas traditions from around the world. The illustrations definitely enhanced the story and it was told in language that would be understandable by children.
This is a beautifully illustrated book that describes many Christmas customs and celebrations. The book opens with an an explanation for how Christmas came to be celebrated on December 25th. From here, there are sections on many ways that the holiday is noted and celebrated. For example, have you ever heard of Grittibaenz? He is a bit like a gingerbread man in Switzerland. How about a German Christmas Market? Reading about that makes me want to go to one to look around. What are some of the stories behind the Christmas tree? Learn about the Swedish gnomes, called tomtar. Find out when children in different countries receive their gifts. All this and more make this book an interesting one for families to share. The world opens up as children learn the ways in which their celebrations are the same and/or different from those in other parts of the world. A great way to look forward to the holiday season.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this title. All opinions are my own.

Press ThisTwitterFacebook

Customize buttons
A fun book for middle grade readers who want to learn about Christmas customs.  There is a strong focus on the religious celebrations of Jesus' birth with a Catholic bent.  Almost all of the customs presented are European, although there is also a good representation from the Americas.  There is much less from Asia, and only one mention of either Australia or Africa (Ethiopia), so the subtitle, "Traditions from around the World" is a misnomer.  There are no source notes, bibliography, or suggestions for further research, which limits the usefulness of the book in school settings.  Recommended for kids who want to be holiday armchair travelers.
I love this book and it's illustrations, I hope that it is reviewed so that my library system can publish it. The different traditions and celebrations of cultures around the world during the Christmas season reflect history, religion, and a shared need to light the dark days of winter. A lovely book.
Packed full of information and visually appealing, Christmas Is Coming is a great addition to a holiday/world celebration collection. I believe a lot of the information and traditions discussed in this book will be new and fascinating to young readers. The graphics are beautiful and enticing - I can see patrons checking it out for the cover alone.
I can't believe how beautiful and comprehensive this book was! I wasn't ready for it!

The amount of information this book contains, how well it is depicted and how much I've actually learned as an adult is incredible. I can't believe I even called myself a Christmas addict before this, because I didn't know half of the things that are explained here.

Did you know where the tallest Christmas tree is? Or where St. Nick arrives on a steamboat instead of a sleigh?! As well as that in one country people put up a giant goat instead of a Christmas tree? Not a real one of course.

You will learn a lot about Christmas, the dates, traditions, the history, but most importantly, how Christmas is done around the world. Every country has a different traditions, from Germany to the Philippines, and this book beautifully illustrates every single one.

I recommend reading two stories or pages each day in December, leading up to Christmas! It's a great learning experience plus it creates the anticipation for Christmas.

Not to mention, it's gorgeous, beautifully illustrated, and it's so incredibly fun to read and look at the illustrations. It's one of those books that you pick up, make a cup of tea and just slowly read, enjoying every bit of it.

I don't usually buy all ARCs I get the pleasure of reading, but this one. This one is already on my Christmas books list and it's going to become a permanent part of my collection.
Christmas is Coming is a beautifully written book and the art work is gorgeous.  I appreciated how the author described the different traditions and why we do what we do around Christmas time.  I went into this book thinking is was geared towards smaller children but I feel the content is appropriate for an older child.  I would definitely recommend this book for older children and adults.
3.5 rounded to 4⭐️

Thank you to North South Books and Netgalley for a gifted copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!!

What a fun book! Christmas is my favourite time of year and I LOVE reading about different traditions, so this book was perfect for me!

It truly goes around the world and covers a wide variety of Christmas traditions! I am so used to turkey for Christmas, it was a lot of fun to read of other meal traditions and why the traditions are in place!

One of my favourite parts was about ornaments. I have a plethora of ornaments and know why they mean something to me, but this book will explain how people went from using food items on their trees to glass ornaments!

A fun, quick read that is full of history and Christmas cheer. And the artwork is absolutely stunning!!!!
Such a Beautiful little book
Great for all ages and learnt some very interesting festive facts
Very excited for Christmas after reading this 🎄🎁⛄️
It is interesting to see how other countries celebrate Christmas.  This book is colorful and easy to read.  Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a gifted copy.  This is my honest review.