Cover Image: Horizontal Parenting

Horizontal Parenting

I received a copy from NetGalley for an honest review.

I have a 3.5 year old at home and I CAN NOT WAIT to play the games mentioned in here with him. He's going to love them...especially the "Guess what's on my butt" game! This is the new book I'm giving to all my new parent friends for their sanity and giggles. I love that it has practical hilarious games to do!
I loved this book. It was funny and practical! The art is so cute! This would be a great gift for any parent!
I really enjoyed Horizontal Parenting--great for the exhausted parent and the older grandparent! It reminded me of my mom encouraging my children to roll the wooden cars (and eventually matchbox cars) on the:"Nonna highway'! While the book may be tongue-in-cheek, the ideas aren't bad and truly would be enjoyable for most kids while still engaging with them, rather than sitting them in front of the television or other device to entertain them.
IF I ever were to have friends with children, I definitely get this for them. It has a lot of interesting ideas, some of them being tried and true classics, some of them things I'd never thought of before.

When dealing with kids constantly it is easy to get overwhelmed making it difficult to find things to keep the rascals entertained. This book is the solution.
This book has come into my life at the perfect time. As a tired mom of an energetic toddler, I’m always looking for a second to lie down! These are absolutely PERFECT quick games to play with your toddler and rest. Two birds, one stone!

The illustrations are colorful, inclusive and attractive. The language is simple and easily understandable. It’s a super quick read and you can just open any page and have an activity to do with your toddler.

Love it! Can only recommend further!
Gosh, I needed this book this week. While my kids are a bit older than the targeted audience, this book was a nostalgic look at the challenges of the younger years and a reminder that no matter how old they are, parenting is exhausting, and you can use all the tips!

The idea is so clever and we may even have since implemented some of these suggestions with our bigger kids. This book would make the perfect baby shower gift (or maybe 1st birthay gift for the parents...when they actually never stop moving!!)

Thank you to the publisher for my gifted copy. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
As the parent of a four year old and a newborn, this was right up my alley.  I would love nothing more than to play with my toddler without moving, and/or play with him while engaged in feeding the new one! Therefore, this book and all of its suggestions on activities for seated or laying down parents to entertain small children was equal parts hilarious and completely practical.  I can’t wait to try out some of the suggestions!
Review to come August 10th on blog (and a few weeks later on Goodreads and Amazon).

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

I am not a parent myself, but I have done lots of babysitting, I worked at daycares and other places. So while I don't know what it is to have kids 24/7, I do know that kids can tire you out. Haha. This book looked really interesting and I am really happy I was able to read it!

So, you are a parent, or you work with kids, and you want to play a game, but you are just too tired. Well, this book is perfect for you! Because all you have to do is lie down. Yep, it is that simple. Either on the floor or couch, just lie down. You may need some small things to go along with, but some of these fun ideas don't need that and require the kids to get you items or use the toys they have. The ideas were so much fun to read and at times I just loved how creative they were and how much fun they were. Not just for the kids btw, but also for the parents.

Some of my favourite games from this book are: Secret agents (you are the spy boss and you give your kid a series of tasks), Horizontal Hokey Pokey (aka dance while lying on the floor), Roll the Burrito (use a blanket, lie in the middle, let your kid add ingredients (toys etc.) and then roll it all up), Couch fishing (I remember doing that when I was young, so much fun). And there are many other games that sounded like a delight to me!

The book is also full with illustrations to go with the fun exercises/things to do and I really love their style, they really made it even more fun~

All in all, Highly Recommended! I am sure this book will be used a lot, I just love that parents can take a bit of a rest and still have fun with their kids.
This was such an amazing and funny book every parent should have on their shelf or e-reader! It haas 50 games you can play with a kid while lying down or sitting comfortably on a sofa while your young one is busy with the  tasks. There are also bonus sections for almost every game so you basically get two games instead of one.

Would certainly use these games myself and recommend the book to my friends!

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the free e-copy!
A parenting book which is a must for all and will surely be a favourite!!
This book gives us a funny take on how parents can find some time for themselves by providing some useful tips/ games/activities for the kids to do in the meantime.
Some are so cool and hilarious that surely toddlers will get a kick out of doing it .
There are about 50 of such activities so lot of options for parents to choose from in rotation.
Some of my favourite ones are
How tall and I?
A portrait of Rest.
RailRoad to restoration.
Whats in my butt?
This is such a funny book with lots of good tips for parents when they are feeling a bit lazy or just need a mini break! The illustrations are cute and I think little kids would also get a kick out of the different, fun things they can do.
This book is so what I needed. I have a 2 year old son and am also 23 weeks pregnant and have several Autoimmune issues that cause me to be fatigued even when not pregnant.  I love this book and all the ideas of how to keep your child entertained when you just need to sit or lay down. It's rough some days. Since my son is only 2, some of the ideas in the book wouldn't be realistic at this age because he wouldn't understand but I'll be keeping this book around so in 2 years when I have a 2 and 4 year old, I can rest 🤣
This book is absolutely hysterical. I grabbed my husband and made him look at every single idea with me.

Personal favorites:
Ninja Walk, Amnesia, Couch Potato, Held Captive, Tattoo Parlor, and Will it Roll?

The illustrations are cute and funny! I don't care whether or not this is supposed to be purely comedic, parenting advice, or somewhere in between- I am definitely adding a few of these to my arsenal!
This might very well be my new favorite parenting book. There are some truly great (and totally doable) activities that involve very little effort on the parents' part. I think my favorites are "Hide-and-Seek-ish" and "Lotion Painting." These will definitely be added to the "mommy had a busy day and just wants to be still" toolbox.
Horizontal Parenting is humor and works in brief snippets of story and pieces of life. I liked the pairing of images with these moments and reflections.
This book is a riot!  My brother has a 2 year old and 5 year old and lives in a 900 SF apartment in Chicago and we are a year into the covid pandemic.  I've been reading a page or two a day and communicating the "game of the day" to him.  Michelle Woo is so creative and down-right hilarious!  The illustrations are perfect.  So very entertaining, even if you don't have kits!

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher (Chronicle Books), Michelle Woo (author) and Dash Tolstikova (illustrator) for the opportunity to review Horizontal Parenting, in exchange for an honest review.  Publication date is August 17, 2021.

I'll be ordering this book.  Someone's review mentioned that this would be a perfect shower gift, absolutely!
I really could have used this book when my kids were toddlers for sure!  There are plenty of activities older kids that won't get out of your face for all the candy in the world would enjoy, too.  My 5 and 7 year olds would love don't wake the giant, lotion painting, cave spelunking, and change of scenery, for sure!  Full of laughs and some actually good activities, any parent of small children will love this book.  The illustrations are great, too, and feature a variety of people and families.
There are a couple of activities that might be better in theory than practice, though.  I don't think I'd recommend packing peanut snow angels (the MESS OMG).
Several of these would be great for getting the kids out of your hair for a while, too, like Sort of Hide and Seek (Oh no, I just cannot figure out where you are!) and the Snail Race (I'll just be the judge...from over here...on the couch...).
Don't forget to try to earn your bonus points!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go pretend to be Sleeping Beauty for a while.
A cute little picture book for parents, Horizontal Parenting presents ideas to keep your kids active and occupied while doing the least amount of work, all of them illustrated.

I'm not quite sure if the book's purpose if primarily to be funny or to actually recommend these strategies; it was a bit of both, but some of the activities here would probably take more energy than a classic tea party with teddy bears or playing with dolls. It is pretty funny, and I appreciate that they illustrated every activity, but the drawings seem a bit too simplistic, they weren't exactly my style.

All in all, a fun book that parents of toddlers would probably appreciate.
It's a quick parent's guide to tired parents. It is mostly a collection of different ideas of games. The drawings were cute and I liked the humour. I'll probably read it later on when I need some ideas :)
This is absolutely INGENIOUS. I loved and enjoyef all of the games while I found myself simultaneously chuckling as I've tried many forms of "horizontal resting" play.