Cover Image: Three Lines in a Circle

Three Lines in a Circle

I certainly learned something! We don't often think about the origins of things that are so well-known and ubiquitous. But, the peace symbol is a symbol that has a distinct history and creator. This is interesting and worth knowing.
The book could be appreciated by a range of creators and would be a useful took in the classroom to kick off a study of symbols, peace, internationalism, or many other topics. At home, a parent could use it to spark conversation on events that are of importance to them. And of course those of us who are old hippies can reminisce about our first pair of peace sign earrings and share that story with our grandkids. (Just saying.)
The peace sign is ubiquitous, and yet the story is little known. Michael Long’s book addresses its development in crisp, concise text and the accompanying artwork by Carlos Velez brilliantly illustrates the story. Bright, dramatic artwork depicts people of all types in many situations,
often joyous and always inclusive. The book concludes with hopeful words about catching on, / fighting on, / moving on… / TO / YOU."

British peace activist and graphic designer Gerald Holtom created the peace sign In 1958 for a march to protest nuclear weapons. Its use spread to social change and protest movements around the globe. The call for peace expanded to climate justice and justice for all - women, people of color, poor people,  folks with disabilities,  and LGBTQ+ persons.

This is one of those books that can be read on more than one level. Read as a  picture book for young children, an adult can use the pictures to help explain and deepen the story at the child’s level.  For grade school kids, it is both a good story and an introduction to peace movements and justice initiatives, and for middle grades, it could be included with relevant books for a unit on peace. The endnote features a timeline and explains the story in much more depth, facilitating its use in classrooms.

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for this honest review
Three Lines in a Circle by Michael G Long  is a children’s book telling the story about how the peace sign came into use.  The illustrations by Carlos Velez are well done and right on point. The story, while simple when shared with the illustrations, is interesting.  Often the words just highlight the pictures when you normally expect the opposite.  I liked the simplicity of the text as it reminded us that while the story and symbol seem simplistic, the symbolism and meaning of the sign is so much more.

Three Lines in a Circle by Michael G Long and illustrated by Carlos Velez is a fine read.
Excellent picture book on how the peace symbol came to be and how it became a symbol for peace. I really enjoyed the simplistic story with vibrant illustrations. It’s simple enough for youngest, but then it has a more in-depth facts area at the end. I loved the inclusion of a timeline for peaceful protests and the diversity throughout the illustrations.
Three Lines in a Circle is a really fun way to teach my child about the history of the Peace sign, and we both loved reading this book together! The illustrations were really bold and colorful, and kept my baby engaged with the text. We both loved the page with the variety of peace signs drawn out, there was a lot to look at and helped reinforce the idea that there can be many different ways to illustrate the same thing. My baby loved the art in this book, and I liked the educational value of this book -- it is a great book because it makes learning history fun and easy! We are so happy to add this to our collection of baby books.
The colorful and busy illustrations make this an appealing book and the subject matter, the ubiquitous peace symbol, is still very popular with kids of all ages. The allusion to various peace movements throughout the text,  beginning with the origin of the symbol in anti anti-nuclear movement in England in the late fifties, is ripe fruit for discussion for older children. The two page history of the peace symbol and timeline of protest movements in the back will give kids a jumping off point for further exploration. I just wish there was a bit more information in the actual text. Younger children, who might be attracted to the sparse text and the illustrations, there is too much to have to explain. Not that preschoolers can’t understand what a protest march is. There have been plenty of the stroller set at the recent marches as there always have been. But this text isn’t for them. A more concrete and simpler text would serve the storytime audience better.  I think this is a fine book for nine year olds and up to pour over on their own or with an adult. Especially an adult who has taken part in marches over the past 70 years and particularly recently and can fill in the gaps. Those kids who see themselves in the ones portrayed in last few pages of the book will hopefully be inspired and see the three lines in a circle with a new perspective.

Thank you to NetGalley and Flyaway Books for an advanced e-book copy.
Thanks to Flyaway Books and NetGalley for an advanced copy of this book.

This is a fun book about the history of the peace sign. I had never given any thought to it before, but it was surprisingly interesting. It would make the perfect addition to any art classroom and a perfect gift for an art teacher.

#ThreeLinesinaCircle #NetGalley
Were you ever curious about the origins of the peace sign? Even as a hippie in the 60s, I never thought about it. But my lack of curiosity didn't dim my appreciation for Long's revelations. Energetic bold images with kid appeal combine with a rather repetitive text to tell this iconic symbol's creation story. An adult version at the end has more details, including the skeptical statement by one designer, "It will never catch on." The history also includes  the age of peaceful protests from the 60s through 2020. A great book to accompany or even stimulate grandparents' stories of their experiences and opinions around war protests, racial justice marches, and today's civil unrest. One bit of fact you may not know - the lines inside the circle are from the semiphore alphabet for the letters N and D, standing for Nuclear Disarmament.
My thanks to the author and NetGalley for a complimentary copy of this picture book..  The narrative tells the story of the creation of the the Peace Symbol that is now in international use.  Designed by a chap from London, it was first used in a protest against nuclear warfare.  The initials N and D in the language of semaphore flag formations are merged for the symbol. There is a listing of peace marches from the first using the symbol in 1958 till present day.  The illustrations are superb.  21 pages of what is well-worth the viewing.
I loved the premise of this book and how it shows how the peace symbol was conceived and spread. The art is beautiful and works well with the story. The book also emphasizes diversity from around the world, which is great.

The end of the book provides context to the story with "A Short History of the Peace Symbol" and a timeline of relevant events shown in the book. This is all very useful and helpful information. I guess it's a stylistic choice, and it works in its own way, but I would have preferred if some of that information had been included in the story.
I started seeing this symbol as a middle school student in CT and understood it to mean peace.  I never thought about where or how it originated.  Loved this explanation that it actually was designed to England as a symbol for nuclear disarmament in 1958.  While I enjoyed the colorful graphics and text in the story,  the reader really needs to read A Short History of the peace symbol.  Having taught second grade for 35 years I would have eagerly used this book to broaden the existing knowledge base about this symbol that they see on a daily basis.  Spending time breaking down the history will help young readers better understand the symbolism and also send the message that one man can inspire the world.  The timeline at the end shares the way the symbol has been used since it’s inception.
Many many thanks to Michael G. Long and NetGalley for affording me the opportunity to read this very informative book, perfect for all children and adults.
I may have casually wondered about the symbolism of the peace sign but never put much thought into it. It was just always there and everyone knew it was the peace sign. I certainly had no idea that it was specifically created for protest culture. Much cooler than I expected.
I got this book as I thought my grandson age 7 who loves the peace sign would find it interesting. He did! The timing was great as his uncle had just moved to England and he was able to share this info with him. We learned a lot. It was easy to read and the illustrations were pleasing.
The end of this book with the detailed "short history of the peace symbol" is where I found myself drawn to and intrigued.. It is a beautiful picture book with gorgeous illustrations, but I wonder if the message is a bit too simplified, even for younger readers (I'm an elementary librarian). I almost wish there was a little fact box on each page that would expand on the simplified text. The part about flag symbols was not clear to me until I read the end for example! Thinking as someone who would read this aloud, it would need a lot of stopping and sharing more background information from the back of the book. I think this is a great addition to any library, but it is one that requires more discussion and background information for it to be truly understood. It's illustrations and message however can be appreciated by all.
This simple, charming picture book will expose young readers to the origin of the peace symbol and what it represents today. I wish author Michael Long had incorporated more of the design choice/thought process into the main story, but the information is included in a short history at the back of the book.
The peace symbol was designed by Gerald Holtrom, a graphic artist, in 1958. He adopted the letters N and D (for nuclear disarmament) from semaphore, and placed them on top of one another. The symbol soon began appearing at rallies and marches the world over. That's really it as far as a story to this book goes. The real highlight is the stunning artwork by Carlos Velez.

There's also an excellent two page explanation of the symbol's history, followed by a list of peaceful protests that have occurred since the its creation.
The premise of Three Lines in a Circle -- sharing the origin and evolution of the peace sign in a picture book format -- intrigued me, as I was interested in its beginnings and didn't know the semaphore inspiration; the three lines in a circle represent the N and D letters, for nuclear disarmament.

In accessible language and vivid illustrations, author Michael G. Long and illustrator Carlos Velez trace the symbol's development and worldwide embrace.

I found the richest portion to be the short history at the close of the book, expanding in more detail about the development of the symbol to advocate for nuclear disarmament and how various groups have adopted it for their peaceful protests. Its origins have expanded to include a desire for peace in many forums. The book is richer for the end notes, as otherwise it could feel lacking. Now, though, adults can expand beyond the included sentences and describe the accompanying images in age-appropriate language, if they wish.

(I received a digital ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.)
What an incredible book to fan those activist flames in our youth.  An incredible tale of activism and the origin story of the peace sign, one of the most universal recognizable signs there is.
Great story about the history of the peace symbol.  I love how the creator didn't think it would catch on and the timeline in the back of the book!
This book has gorgeous illustrations and an interesting story! I loved reading through it and learning about a history even I never knew about. Great for the little liberals in your life!