Cover Image: Hey! A Colorful Mystery

Hey! A Colorful Mystery

Fun from beginning to end. Plenty of learning and crafts can be connected with this book to continue the fun. We were able to name the colors of the fish and count the fish and coral. The story was very funny and kept my toddler engaged throughout our reading. A wonderful book to have on your shelf!
Rumors are a powerful topic, and this book addresses it beautifully. The illustrations are colorful and enhance the story. There are many discussion points readily available when you read this book aloud to children. It would pair well with The Pout-Pout Fish due to their under the sea themes and the illustrations.
*Thank you to NetGalley and Publisher Spotlight for allowing me to read the digital ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.*
A colourful story about accidental rumours in the ocean that have a huge ripple effect and disrupt all the sea creatures…and how the one fish who started it all saves the day.
Loved the pops of colour in the illustrations, especially since this is a book that is focused on colour.  The book was funny, and I enjoyed watching more and more animals get swept away in the mayhem.  All the little pink fish wanted was someone to play with! What a chain reaction!  Great for young children, and I liked the lessons about colour after the main story ended..
The colors in this book are beautiful! This is an excellent book to teach children colors and also introduce them to words they don’t know. I wouldn’t read this book to a child over the age of four. I think they’d lose interest quickly as there’s not really a story.
Really beautiful artwork, but it takes kind of a weird, abrupt turn, and then turns right back? It's a little bit confusing. It also starts out being a book about the power of rumors but turns into a lecture on color theory and doesn't really seem to wrap up either idea by the end.
This was a delightful book for the youngest readers. It is filled with bright and beautiful drawing interesting enough to draw in any child with an interest in sea creatures. It aims to delight and informed, and it certainly succeeded in doing so.
Wow this really was a colorful book, and I loved every single page of it.

This is a very short book that teaches kids about how dangerous and powerful a rumor can be, how an innocent phrase can end up snowballing into a huge deal.

I loved the art on this book, the kids are going to go crazy seeing all the different types of sea life and how vibrant they can be.
I particularly enjoyed the end page, it has instructions about how to mixture different colors which was a nice addition.

Parents should definitely buy this book for their children, it’s very educative and fun!

“Thank you netgalley and the publisher for this arc in exchange for my honest review”
Kate Read is back with another fun and colorful picture book.  This book starts off with a small, pink fish looking for someone to play with.  Things start going wrong when all the other fish mistakenly believe they hear a big, scary fish, and as the rumor spreads, the fish get more and more scared until they rush off to hide in a dark cave that turns out to be a huge fish that swallows them all!  Pink fish saves the day in the end and the rest of the grateful fish swim off in a hurry.  This is a quick and fun read, perfect for storytimes and introducing color concepts to young kids.  There's a bit after the story where the author uses the fish to explain the color wheel and other basic concepts, which I really liked.
Oh I just love this little book! It's super catchy with simple wording for children, and the illustrations are beautiful. I also love the underlying lesson of the hazards of spreading rumours, and the inclusion of information about primary colours, colour wheels and light or darker colours at the end of the book. This would be a great choice for any Kindergarten - Grade 1 classroom!
There's so much I love about this book, and I cannot wait to buy it for my class! First, the illustrations are absolutely stunning. I love the different ocean animals and how beautifully they are each represented. I also love the inclusion of colors, without it being a specific "This is red" kind of color story. Colors are secondary to the plot, but are emphasized and taught through that plot. Finally, I love the way the story unfolds, showcasing how rumors and "the whisper game" can make stories turn out to be something they are not. I think that toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergarteners all will really enjoy following this short story.
I found the story a bit pointless, but I did enjoy the fact that it taught a lot about color theory - primary and secondary colors, color wheel, dark/light colors, etc.
I love this book! The illustrations are beautiful and so colorful, they grab your attention and keep it. The sea creatures play a game of telephone about a big, scary sea creature at the bottom of the ocean, but maybe it’s not what they think!

There is also a color wheel and examples of gradients at the end of the book, making this a fantastic teaching tool as well. My three year old loved pointing out the different creatures and naming their colors. So cool!

**Thank you to NetGalley, the author, and the publisher for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review**
This book is a short cute read. It shows how big a small thing can turn into, how a rumor can get so much added to it and turn into something it isnt just because of how many people it goes to. The color learning is extremely cute, and my daughter loved it. She was super excited to see all the colors and how to mix colors to make new ones. It was art and a mystery all in one!
This ocean themed color book is a really delightful follow up to One Fox. Where that is a counting book thriller this is a colorful mystery. I really like it when authors add a bit of twist to well-tread territory, like counting, color, shapes and abc books. This would fit in well with books like One Lonely Fish, One Very Big Bear, Mac Barnett's shape trilogy, It's an Orange Aardvark or Owls Are Good At Keeping Secrets which are all books that introduce foundational concepts in unique ways.
Hey! A Colorful Mystery is a brilliant book for younger children learning their colors. Each vibrant page focuses on the different color in the ocean. I did think the book could have used more character voices in the story, but keeping it simple makes it perfect for younger children. The very back even goes over the primary colors and how to mix them to make new colors!
My 5 year old and I absolutely loved this book. It was a short read.  It was perfect for the times when you just have a few free minutes for an unexpected treat. Beautiful pictures, funny storyline and mystery all rolled into one book, what more could you want? Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This mystery was adorable. I loved the colorful aspects of this fun read. I would recommend it to any and all young ones, it really was a great time and I think all ages would appreciate it.
Cute and funny, this is sure to be a "read it to me again" book. Much more than a book about colors. Wonderful!
This book is so colorful and beautifully illustrated.  I loved the storyline of a growing rumor spreading through the ocean - such a concrete way to explore the topic of rumors with young children.  The different word choices for scared  (rattled, scared, petrified) allows for great vocabulary building and allows for the book to be used with a variety of early elementary ages.  As a teacher, there are so many options for connected lessons using this text.
The different ocean creatures are so wonderfully diverse and I loved the addition of the color mixing and color wheel visuals in the back of the book - great guidelines for a classroom art lesson and various art extension activities.  Definitely one to add to the classroom library and home bookshelf.
This book actually had really nice illustrations! It was fast paced and fun! It's definitely something I would have enjoyed when a was little!