Cover Image: Alternatural

Alternatural

This book has a slow pace to it which isn't my normal type of read. I struggled to get into the book, but by the end I enjoyed it.
Thank you to the publishers, Victory Editing NetGalley Co-op., for giving me access to this book as an E-ARC via Netgalley. All opinions are my own.

I will start off saying I didn’t find this book interesting. It felt quite empty? I felt like there was a world there, but we weren’t given the chance to get to know about it. I think magic was a thing, like not a hidden part of society but something fairly normal and I would have liked to get to know more about that.

Main character is a Maya Morales who is a witch and *checks my notes* also a lawyer?

And that’s about it. I can’t remember much more. It - clearly - wasn’t the story for me.

Cool cover though!

(This will be published on my Goodreads-acc. on June 3rd 2021.)
This book was a very entertaining and enjoyable read. Fast paced, with an appropriate about of detail and action.

Maya (the main character) was definitely a more realistic representation of a female in a masculine world of lawyers, with sass, sarcasm and unapologetic selfishness.

However, I feel the book would have benefited from a little bit more. Relatively short in its length, it established a magical universe where history has been changed due to the presence of a form of magic. The main character is targeted by a mysterious individual, protected by a set of bodyguards and resolved neatly in a small package of words.

But... I have so many questions. Maya’s father was in the army but could afford a fully trained team of bodyguards to protect his adult daughter? The end of the book said a character was “taken” but that Maya wanted to date said person? What was the point of the fire?

Overall it is a very good short story, but more detail would be needed to raise the score all the way
I found the book abit slow to get into but as I got in to the book I really enjoyed it. The front cover is very interesting and this is what drawn me to the book.  I really liked how there was magic in the book. I found the book very interesting it kept me hooked until the end. The book has suspense , thriller and magic.
Thank you NetGalley letting me read this book.
Alternatural - Tobias Gavran
4/5
When I saw this book I was intrigued simply by the cover. And wow the cover lived up. My favorite aspect of this book is definitely the magic system. This world uses blood and bones for their magic, something I’m always a fan of. I also think this book did an amazing job of making it feel like a realistic depiction of what our world would be like if we finally discovered magic (and it’s not all good. I mean magical crime lords? That feels realistic to me.)
The only reason this wasn’t a 5 star read for me is because I wanted MORE from the book. I think this could have easily been a 500 page book with a more developed magic system and plot. Overall, this was a really good quick read and I highly recommend it.
Disclaimer: I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.