Cover Image: Choose Your Own Adventure Eighth Grade Witch

Choose Your Own Adventure Eighth Grade Witch

This was a great modern flashback to the original Choose Your Own Adventure books from when I was younger! Even though I do enjoy graphic novels, I wasn't sure how I'd like a CYOA graphic novel, but I really enjoyed it! Will definitely look at getting copies for each of my schools!
I was so excited to see a new Choose Your Own Adventure book! This one is a graphic novel, making it even more fun. If you haven't read a CYOA book before, you get to make different choices throughout the book that lead you to certain different paths and outcomes. It was fun when I was a kid and is still fun now. This one, in particular, was well done but not stellar. I loved the premise, and the spooky/scary atmosphere. The artwork was good, not too cluttered, plenty of color. The story got a little vague at points, but it was still fun to keep flipping around and trying different paths. Thank you to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book!
'Choose Your Own Adventure: Eighth Grade Witch' by Andrew E.C. Gaska, E.L. Thomas And C.E. Simpson with art by Valerio Chiola is a graphic novel version of the famous book series for a new young audience.

You are Rabbit, a young girl who has just moved in to a new, and presumably haunted house with your parents.  Things in the house are not as they seem and there are all kinds of suspicious characters around, including the mysterious witch Prudence Deadly.  Your choices may end well or badly for you, so choose wisely.

It's great to have this series back.  There are quite a few possible endings, some better and some worse.  It's definitely on the creepy side and might disturb some really sensitive young readers.  The art is pretty good too.

I received a review copy of this graphic novel from Oni Press and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for allowing me to review this graphic novel.
I love Choose Your Own Adventure books. I grew up with them when they originally released. I can still remember my trips to the book store and being excited to see if a new one had released, so I knew if nothing else Eighth Grade Witch was going to be a wonderful trip down memory lane. And indeed nostalgia hit me hard while going through this graphic novel. While I am no longer the target age demographic for the series, I still enjoyed running through the stories, making choices that shape the ongoing narrative, The artwork is excellent and I think in the interactive world we live in this is a great way to get kids interested in reading. I'll definitely be recommending this to my nieces and nephews.

I really tried to give this a chance, but it didn’t work for me at all. I think it’s a great idea and the story idea seems intriguing, especially as a middle grade novel. The actual design of the Choose Your Own Adventure aspect was majorly lacking.

I finished the story the first time in a matter of minutes. I had absolutely no understanding of what had happened. I failed to solve the mystery. I went back and tried again and again and again. Nothing made any kind of sense no matter which decisions I made or paths I took. I began to wonder if I would have liked this kind of thing better if I was in the target audience. The idea of a Choose Your Own Adventure book would have been appealing to me when I was younger. But this one? I think I would have lost patience and been fed up with it even then.

I felt bad for not having read the whole book at that point and wanted to give it a fair chance before rating it. I flipped through every page and hoped to piece together the storyline that way.

It didn’t work.

I’m still super confused about what was supposed to happen in this. Maybe it’s just me, though. I don’t know.
I have loved Choose Your Own Adventure novels for decades, and I was not disappointed with this one. The graphic novel was a super fun new way to approach this type of book. I did enjoy that the reader is Rabbit, an eighth grader with a lot of spunk, but we never really see her face which adds to the immersion. Amazing story threads and the artwork is super fun. I will be handselling this one for sure!
1st line: "Wake up, Rabbit! We're here ..."

Prose (Story): The first official graphic novel, based on the popular Choose Your Own Adventure series of books we all grew up with, is here! Rabbit, newly-arrived to town with her ghost-hunting parents, finds eighth grade a bit hectic when it starts off with a possible haunted house (hers) ... a local witch from the town's dark past who seems determined to come back from the dead ... and the gaggle of witchcraft-practicing girls - fellow students of Rabbit's - who seem determined to help her! With 28 different endings possible, it's up to YOU, the reader, to decide Rabbit's fate (or fates) in this spooky, entertaining supernatural mystery for fans of the orginal hit novels!

Don's (Review): Though not obsessed with the Choose Your Own Adventure books as a kid, I did enjoy them - even when  seemingly-smart choices got me killed faster than a spider in a bathtub. I think it was pretty brilliant, for this first oficial graphic novel based on the books, for the writer to actually choose a CYOA story that was already part of the canon: this tale is based on the original by C. E. Simpson, which means that even in a slicker, more ... well, graphic ... graphic novel format, the action and story itself very much retains the flavor of the orignal novels we loved growing up. It's also nice having visuals with each scenario, now; whether you choose well and delve deeper into story subplots and new characters, or get turned into a giant bug by your third go-round and are out of the game, here it's displayed in richly colorful, old-school comic book-like illustrations (though painted and colored with strong, more modernized tones that add depth) by artist Valerio Chiola. The graphics, while certainly not adult-rated, don't let up, either; if you ,as Rabbit, choose wrong and die (or when/if any other character buys it, for that matter), very little is left to the imagination depicting their fate. I made sure to go through every ending and every page of this clever bite of nostalgia, which somehow feels timely today yet very reminiscent of when these books were in their hey-day, and can definitely label this a "must-read" for fans of the original series - and a "should-read" for anyone else wanting to have a little fun at controling the narrative of a spooky, witchy story ... even when it kills you! Very nicely done. (Available August 24)  4.5/5 stars

NOTE: I received a free ARC of this title from NetGalley and the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.
This is fun, but not phenomenal. The story, centering on a family moving into a house and Rabbit, an eight grader going on adventures, is a great idea, but a lot of the paths switch settings very abruptly, and end just as quickly as they began. All part of the format, but doesn't lend itself to much immersion or really getting to know any characters. There's a little bit of everything happening, ghost, witches, zombies, the whole lot, but the rushed convoluted storylines took a lot of the enjoyment out of it for me.
Thank you to NetGalley for the advanced reader copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.  I have been a fan of Choose Your Own Adventure books since as long as I can remember.  I am so excited that they are making a resurgence.  The choice of bring them to the graphic novel game is genius!!  The story lines are fun and spooky and magical.  The graphics are bold, and vibrant, and eye catching.  This is a great recommendation for 10 & up who are maybe not active readers.  Graphic novels are an incredible way to promote a love of reading in reluctant readers.  This one comes just in time for the spooky season.
A new generation of Choose Your Own Adventure fans is about to be born!

I wasn't sure how the graphic novel format would work for this type of book, but the illustrations being done from a first person point of view really sold it! It was also exciting getting glimpses of other paths as I went on to the one I chose. I can't wait for readers to get this experience!
This was one of my favourite kind of books when I was wee so had to see what this was all about. Great premise and has been updated for today's kids. I'm not the right demographic but it was interesting to see my old favourite in a modern way. I think it would be a good way to introduce people to reading as  there isn't a lot of text but personally I enjoy the old versions best.
8th Grade Witch is classic Choose Your Own Adventure - in a graphic novel format.  I grew up with the Choose Your Own Adventure books, so this brought back a whole lot of nostalgia for me, but the new format will definitey appeal to younger readers.

In classic CYOA form, you are the main character, Rabbit Hawthorne (so the graphics are from your POV), and you have just moved in to a haunted home..  The local witch coven is out to get you, and you must decipher the clues in order to survive.  I died far too often, but that's half the fun of these books.  It is creepy, and spooky and overall a fun read!

I will put a caveat though: the CYOA books work best in paperback format, for ease of flipping to the necessary pages without spoilers.  It did lose a bit of its magic in digital form,  but that's a minor quibble.

Many thanks to NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
This was so much fun! I loved the choose your own adventure books when I was young and I think this new format is going to be perfect for getting young readers engaged with them again. The art was really good as well. I look forward to more of these!
A wonderful new way to experience the “choose your own adventure” books! I love a good graphic novel and this one was so fun! I tried a few different paths and they ranged from creepy to nightmarish and a bunch in between. Kids are going to love this new way to engage with reading.
Overall I’d say this is a cute one that kids would probably enjoy, but I do wish there was more story to it. Each branch of this CYOA book is only about 2 to 3 choices deep which feels really shallow for this type of thing. If I didn’t know better, I’d think this were just a rough draft waiting to be finished. 🤷🏼‍♀️

There were also some transitions that didn’t make sense, although it’s possible I went to the wrong page. But it felt occasionally like the plot skipped abruptly where it probably shouldn’t have.

I will say the art style is really great. That’s one thing I really loved about this one. I’d love to see this series continue, as long as they spend more time on the story and plotting. This really has great potential.
If there’s one thing I love it’s choose your own adventure books, they are so much fun and inventive that it’s impossible not to fall in love with them, this graphic novel it’s all of that and more, the art it’s really well done and complement perfectly with the story.

Rabbit it’s a 13 years old girl who just moved to a haunted house with her parents who are Demonologist, she’s not very excited with this change and right on the beginning strange things starts to happen, a creepy boy searching her parents car, suspicious kids on the neighborhood who seems to be up to something.

This graphic novel has a little bit of everything, ghosts, lizard monsters, zombies, witches and so many secrets it’s for sure a fun reading.

The only thing that annoyed me was the rushed endings I was left wishing for a more detailed story and that could’ve been achieved if there wasn’t so many different endings, it says on the cover it’s 28 but I think it would’ve been better if there were only well done 10 or less.
Either way, this is a perfect read for Halloween.

Thank you Netgalley for this e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I used to love Choose Your Own Adventure as a kid and I was excited to see the graphic novel version! This book was fun to read and the format added a lot to the experience. I especially enjoyed how it was illustrated so that each scene was from your POV as the main character making the choices. The story starts with the main character moving into a new, creepy house with their parents who are ghost hunters. All the different choices and adventures bring the reader face to face with ghosts, witches, creepy spiders, graveyards, and more. This would be the perfect book to read around Halloween. My only complaint is I felt like a couple of the endings were a little abrupt, but I think that's normal for Choose Your Own Adventure books. Overall, I would recommend it if you're a fan of the books and looking for something with spooky vibes!

Thank you to Oni Press and Netgalley for the eARC in exchange for my honest review!
In true Choose Your Own Adventure style, this graphic novel was a lot of fun! I think that middle grade kids will really enjoy this graphic novel. The illustrations were great and really added to the story..
Reading this book was some of the most fun I've had in awhile! I honestly forgot how much I used to enjoy reading the Choose Your Own Adventure books add in the graphic novel twist and it amplifies it by at least ten! I walked through every storyline you can in this book, starting with my normal choices and then going from there. This book definitely is a good reminder that I would die first in a horror movie. Super fun story and loved the choices. I hope we get more books in this series and style.

Thank you netgalley and the publishers for providing me with an arc for an honest review!
A fun graphic novel update to a Choose Your Own Adventure book! I do not remember reading the original book by C.E. Simpson, although I certainly read quite a few Choose Your Own Adventure books growing up.

The art was engaging and the story was fun, although there seemed to be some plot holes. I do not see most of my students being that particular. They already enjoy the concept and will love having a graphic novel version.

I look forward to having the print book in hand so I can easily flip back and forth between different paths, although I am grateful to the publisher and NetGalley for the electronic ARC in exchange for my honest review.