Cover Image: The Woman on the Pier

The Woman on the Pier

I have several problems with this book, I'm afraid to say.
I really enjoyed Walter's first book so was looking forward to seeing what this one had in store, but I am just left confused.
The title and cover were mostly irrelevant, which irks me. I find myself becoming frustrated and distracted waiting for them to become important, and I feel like I miss the point because I'm looking for the relevance.
The characters were hideous and I struggled to find sympathy for their grief. This does sometimes bother me and affect my rating but if they are twisty and shocking, then I can improve it!
I also wonder if there were too many genres thrown into this book so it lost it's way a little. This had great potential but I was disappointed.
What a read!!! I was kindly gifted an early e-copy in return of an honest review. I loved this! The cover immediately caught my attention & I couldn’t put it down! I would certainly recommend.
2,5 stars.

A couple who's marriage is based on betrayal, secrets and manipulation loose their only daughter in a terrorist attack. The mother, Caroline, loses her mind and desperately seeks for closure which she didn't feel she got as the terrorists died during the attack. Therefor, she searches for another culprit.

This is the second book I've read this year where the main voice is that of an hysterical woman and I'm not into a character that is screaming and shouting and making bizarre and illogical decisions all the time. Maybe I just cannot image just how hurt a mother who lost a child could be, and how she could behave. But in this instance, I couldn't sympathize one bit with Caroline, nor with her husband Alec.

I know that B.P. Walter can write a good book, as I enjoyed The Dinner Guest, and this one isn't badly written either, but I couldn't stand the characters and the story didn't make sense.

A sincere thanks to Goodreads, the publisher One More Chapter and the author for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.
The book was well written, but the plot was SO OUT THERE that it was truly unbelievable and for that I never truly got into it. I more rolled my eyes at times like...yeah no not possible.
Beautiful, thrilling and captivating. And oh so very heart breaking.

I really enjoyed The Dinner Party but The Woman on the Pier is even better than that. As before, the writing here is accomplished and taut, the plotting is excellent. The setting of the sea side town off season is wonderfully depicted. You can almost feel the salt air blow across your skin.

But what makes it magical for me is the emotion the characters evoke in the reader. I cried at this, was shocked by this and emphasised with everyone in it. Except one. I despised that person.

I felt Caroline's pain as if it was my own and I felt so very sorry for her. But then I was also distressed for the boy and his set of circumstances. But I won't say anymore about that and let you discover it for yourself.

This is a thriller yes that will keep you hooked to the page with its intelligent twists and turns but it is much more than that. It has an emotional depth and rawness that is seldom seen in this genre and a set of characters that are so realistic and layered that they may even be your neighbours.

The themes of grief and finding someone to blame is sensitively and beautifully captured. I wish I could discuss this more but to do so would give too many spoilers.

Highly Recommended.
This book was very different to what I was expecting. I am afraid that I found it quite depressing, and hard to read. It was well written, but it didn't make for an easy read. I am so sorry but it wasn't a great read for me.
A haunting tale of a mother’s grief and mental anguish, The Woman on the Pier is a gripping read. The writing almost makes you feel like you’re stumbling through Caroline’s pain as she tried to comprehend and come to terms with her daughter’s death. Not quite as succinct as The Dinner Guest, this is nevertheless a clever read.
I was excited to read The Woman on the Pier after really enjoying The Dinner Guest earlier this year, and it certainly didn’t disappoint.

This had me gripped from the very beginning. I didn’t see the twist coming (always a good sign) and it felt like a powerful and authentic depiction of a mother slowly losing her mind in the aftermath of her child’s tragic and sudden death. All of the characters felt completely real and believable - Alec, Caroline’s husband, deals with his grief in a different way to his wife, but while some novels would’ve painted him as the villain for the comments he makes and how he treats Caroline, I found him to be an entirely flawed, human character. We see the novel from the perspective of two characters, alternating between chapters, which gives the whole story a 360 feel as though you’re watching events unfold from above.

This was a book I couldn’t put down and would wholly recommend. I just knocked one star off (as I did for The Dinner Guest) as the ending fell a little flat again for me. I just felt with the build up of the book and how tense it was all the way through, the ending was going to be a bit more explosive.
This was my first book by this author and I am sad to say that this book just wasn't for me. The plot itself was so outlandish it was laughable and made no sense at all. This mother going out for revenge would have been a cool plot but the mom was just plain wacko. Caroline has no redeemable qualities in this story and I hated her so much. Maybe her daughter wasn't killed by terrorists...maybe she wanted to get away from her crazy mother. I have heard that The Dinner Guest by this author is a good book so maybe I'll give that a try?
Two strangers meet on the pier. Only one walks away.

At the core of this story is a grieving mother who is trying to uncover the mysterious circumstances surrounding her daughter’s murder. She becomes unhinged and desperately needs to make someone pay for her loss.

It all starts with Caroline’s daughter, Jessica, who wants to spend time with her boyfriend, Michael, in Stratford and tells her mom that she’s going to spend the weekend with her friend in Somerset. We can all identify with this scenario. We’ve all been teenagers….once….a long time ago! BP Walter builds on this situation and layers unlikeable characters, superfluous characters, and terrorist attacks with dark subject matter including child abuse and then attempts to stretch it over a far-fetched plot. It was disturbing.

BP Walter focuses on themes of grief, blame, revenge, buried secrets and lies which all seep across three generations. It’s a lot to process. However, this seems to have been a well-received book so please check out other reviews.

I was gifted this advance copy by BP Walter, Harper Collins UK, One More Chapter, and NetGalley and was under no obligation to provide a review.
I really really wanted to like this book since B.P. Walter's Dinner Guest is one of my favourite reads this year.
But somehow it would not click for me. Maybe it is due to my expectations. I thought I was going to read a suspense thriller but that's not what you get when you immerse into the Woman on the Pier.
The main characters went on a wild ride, which I could not really follow. IMHO too many subplots were going on; for me this felt a little forced.
I am sorry, that this was not my cup of tea and I would like to thank
# Netgalley #HarperCollins UK #One More Chapter and #B.P. Walter for this ARC
What a disappointment. I was so excited to have been granted the opportunity to read this ARC but I can’t say that I enjoyed this book in the least. The characters are unlikeable. The storyline is unpleasant. It took me several attempts to get into the book. I struggled to move through the terrorist and grief content. This kind of a read just isn’t for me. I loved the Dinner Guest by BP Walter but The Woman on the Pier is no where close to being the same kind of read.
Thank You to HarperCollins UK, One More Chapter for the opportunity to read this ARC.
Thank you for the advanced copy.

A very sensitive subject matter tackled very well, well written, characters were OK.

Overall, recommended
I loved The Dinner Guest so I jumped on this one! Caroline’s daughter dies in a terrorist attack, wrong time, wrong place. Caroline finds her daughters phone, she decides she needs revenge. I don’t always love these types of books. This one was ok and well written but perhaps not my favorite.
Disturbing, Dark Suspense…
Things are not as they may seem in this disturbing, well written, dark suspense. Written compassionately and with empathy, a tale of secrets, lies and tragedy and, with clever twists aplenty, the reader may well be fooled along the way. Wholly engaging.
I'm going to keep this review very short because I hate to leave bad reviews. But I have to be honest.

I was really excited to read an ARC of The Woman on the Pier because I absolutely loved The Dinner Guest by B. P. Walter.  Unfortunately, by the end of this book, I wanted to slit my wrists. Not really, but that's how depressing I found it.  It's no small feat to write a book about a woman drowning in grief after her daughter is killed in a terrorist attack and leave the reader despising the poor woman.  How could I not feel empathy for such a tragic character?  Not even an ounce, at least not after the first few chapters.  The same for her husband.  Now add to that pedophilia and incest, and you’ll understand why this novel left me in such despair.

The only saving grace is that Walter's is an excellent writer.  Be forewarned though, this is not a suspense thriller as it is advertised.  It is about an unhinged mother looking for someone -- anyone -- to blame for the death of her daughter in a London ISIS attack.  The rabbit hole she goes down is indescribably bleak.

Thank you NetGalley and One More Chapter/HarperCollins for providing me an eARC in exchange for an honest review.  I wish I could have written a more positive review.
I really enjoyed BP Walter's first book, The Dinner Guest but this book was even better, if you can imagine that! It was disheartening to learn the main character's daughter died in a terrorist and she happened to be at the wrong spot at the wrong time because a date was a no show. Obviously the rest of the book was how the mother goes for revenge on the mysterious Michael and we learn about the events leading up to the attack and also is justice was served. And the twists, O-M-G!!!

I am definitely purchasing this to own at publishing and recommending this as must read to my friends and acquaintances who enjoy thriller/suspense read. I thought this was going to be predictable but it was far from that. So very glad. Think I found another author to get hooked on and look forward to the next book by BP Walter.

Thanks to Netgalley, BP Walter and Harper Collin UK 1 More Chapter for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Available: 11/11/21
''The Woman on The Pier' is the second book that I have read by B.P. Walter and based on my previous experiences, I was excited to receive my copy.
I must admit to having high expectations for this book ... and ''The Woman on The Pier' not only met, but surpassed my expectations!
The story tells us about Caroline and the unexpected death of her teenage daughter Jessica in a terrorist attack in London. Set between Essex, Kent, and Australia, events are told from the perspective of Caroline (The Mother) and a friend of Jessica's (The Boy).  as we learn of the months leading to the attack and then the terrible consequences for both of our protagonists.
The themes of grief and revenge are central to the novel, there is so much more to the tale, specifically related to the teenagers involved and this aspect of the novel is utterly heartbreaking. This is a story that will stay with me for some time to come.
I loved the dinner guest but unfortunately i didnt like this book. The characters for me were unlikable.
Thank you to netgalley and the publ8shers for allowing me to read this book.
My opinions are my own and only my own
Caroline is struggling to cope with the murder of her daughter Jessica. Upon finding her daughter’s phone after her death, it comes to light that Jessica was supposed to be meeting a boy in Stratford instead of going to Somerset with her friends, which she told Caroline. However, the boy didn’t show and Jessica waited, leading to her death. After learning this, Caroline is out for revenge.

The subject matter was very sensitive and different from previous books that I have read by this author. However, the difficult subjects were handled well, and presented in a bold way. There was intrigue to complete this story and to find out what happened upon meeting the boy, but this felt like a laborious task to get to the end. I found that I struggled at times to get through the novel but the plot was enticing, so I knew I had to make it to the end. I have to admit I am disappointed that I struggled so, because I really enjoyed The Dinner Guest, which earned a place on my top 2021 reads.

The main thing that I would have liked more in the novel was more information about Caroline’s childhood. It would have been useful to get a background to the character and thus a potential explanation to her characteristics. There were some very uncomfortable and disturbing scenes to read with Caroline’s grief and revenge. I struggled to like this character as she was so difficult to like despite her terrible situation. Her attitude was rude and hard, whereas I think the reader could benefit from some exploration into her past to understand her demeanour in a more understanding way.

Overall, I did have high expectations when starting this book because of how much I enjoyed The Dinner Guest, so perhaps this has tainted my view. This book features many upsetting subjects, which was dealt with by the author in a sensitive and thoughtful way. Despite some of the flaws, there is still so much I want to know with these characters, in particular the outcome with Evan.

This review will be published on my blog www.fortheliterature.wordpress.com on 08/11/21