The Woman on the Pier

Pub Date 11 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 11 Nov 2021

‘Immensely gripping … Stayed up till past 2am to finish this’ Sophie Hannah on The Sunday Times bestseller The Dinner Guest

Two strangers meet on the pierOnly one walks away…

He’s the reason why her daughter is dead.

And so she makes a choice. He’s the one who’s going to pay.

That is her promise. Her price.

Set between Essex, Kent, and Australia, The Woman on the Pier is a dark suspense thriller brimming with secrets and lies seeping across three generations – a must-read for fans of Lucy Foley and Rosamund Lupton.

Two strangers meet on the pierOnly one walks away…

...

EDITION Ebook
PRICE A$11.99 (AUD)

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this book since I put it down and it will take me some time to process just what impact this story will have on me The synopsis for this book sets out a tale of revenge. A grieving mother who cannot come to terms with the fact her daughter was murdered in a terrorist attack and seeks revenge for her death. The terrorists were killed at the scene at the time of the attack however Caroline discovers her daughter, Jessica, was only at the scene of the attack to meet a boy who did not show up for their date. Caroline then focuses her attention on this young boy, blaming him for Jessica being in that area, with tragic and devastating consequences for all involved. Whilst this gives the impression of a thrilling, revenge-seeking novel (and it is), this book is far more than that. Whilst the need to avoid spoilers prevents me from discussing too much the stories of the children in this novel are heart-breaking and give the novel a depth that you do not normally see in these types of books. This is my second novel by this author and I genuinely hope this catapults B P Walter to where he belongs - in the homes of every reader! Thanks to Harper Collins, One More Chapter and Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. I genuinely can't recommend this novel enough. Please, please read!

#TheWomanOnThePier #NetGalley A good novel. Two strangers meet on the pierOnly one walks away… Screenwriter Caroline Byrne is desperate to know why her daughter Jessica died, murdered in Stratford when she was supposed to be at a friend’s in Somerset. When Caroline discovers the messages Jessica had been sending a boy named Michael, she realises it’s because of him. Because he failed to meet her that day. He’s the reason why her daughter is dead. And so she makes a choice. He’s the one who’s going to pay. I'm a huge fan of this author and this book is a good read. Go for it. Thanks to NetGalley and One More Chapter for giving me an advance copy.

Thank you #Netgalley for the advanced copy! I loved reading The Dinner Guest, so I was excited for this new read from this amazing author! Wow! This book left me speechless by the very end. The second half of the book sucked me in, I stayed up past 1am to finish, then the end kept me awake. My brain could not stop spinning! Wow B.P. Walter, you really dropped some plot twists up until the very end! Caroline, our main character recently lost her daughter in a terrorist attack and she can't understand why her daughter Jessica was even there. She obsessively digs and finds a boy her daughter was interacting with. She leaves her home after another terrorist attack occurs to track down this boy who she believes is the reason her daughter is dead. Though we learn, things are not always as they appear, in more ways than one!

A sad disturbing tale, compassionately written, dealing with the grief of parents, whose daughter has been murdered in a terrorist attack. I like the real life references to book titles. Thank goodness the story is based on imagination rather than factual, but I found it very sad to read of a terrorist attack on an area I know so well. Nevertheless, cleverly plotted and had me gripped. Its five star. Thank you to NetGalley, HarperCollins, One More Chapter for my digital copy.

As a die-hard B P Walter fan I expected to love this book but I LOOOOVED it. So twisty, turny and delicious, I was riveted as I raced to the end, even as I regretted that it would end. I read it in one day, I just couldn't put it down. Thank you to the author and publisher for gifting me a copy of this delight. It was my absolute pleasure to write an honest review.

I am a huge fan of this author already and his debut was amazing but this is next level!!!!! I could not put this brilliant book down

One More Chapter I can't thank you enough for this advance ebook copy! I read The Dinner Guest by Walter and freaking loved it. So knew this had to be good! The Woman on the Pier is an amazing thriller read! I loved everything about this book. The character portrayal and the suspense. Walter has done an excellent job in keeping us readers hooked on to the story till the end. This is very well written and has a twisty plot which flows extremely well and with surprises you don’t see coming. The plotting feels like a coiled spring, it’s taut and tense with ripples of unease, a sense of impending danger and you wonder when all the turbulence and altered dynamics will unfurl. Thanks again NetGalley, Publisher and Author for the chance to read and review this amazing book! I'll post to my Social media platforms closer to pub date!

When I see B. P. Walters’ name on the cover, I didn’t read the blurb or I didn’t care what this book was about, I just went blind! That’s the rightest thing to do! Because in my opinion the blurb not truly summarizes the story, actually it gives a major spoiler about it! Normally the plot summary informs us where the story starts but for the Pier, its blurb gives away the opposite! So you’d better not read the blurb and dive into this story directly! Be hundred percent sure to be hooked up at first chapter! It’s absolutely intriguing and picking your interest after reading the first pages. You’re literally drawn into the characters and you don’t want to put it downN This book is not about a woman who avenges her daughter’s killer by confronting at the pier! This book is about pure, earth shattering, heart ripping, painful, intense grief and disturbing, fist clenching, rough, heart wrenching abuse ! A shortest summary: THE MOTHER loses her child at the Stratford terrorist attacks. Her daughter shouldn’t have been there if she hasn’t lied to her parents to meet with THE BOY! THE MOTHER’s desperation to blame someone leads her to Southend to confront with THE BOY which results with tragic consequences. THE MOTHER: Caroline Bryne, left her family life in Australia behind after her father’s suspicious death, building her successful TV writer career, having bleeding marriage that her husband keeps cheating on her and interestingly she buries her head in sand not to confront with him but when their sixteen years old daughter Jessica starts acting more rebellious, screaming at her parents to stop hiding behind their lies, she couldn’t realize that was just the silence before the storm! When her daughter dies she finally understands everything she’s built in her life consisted of lies and illusions. THE BOY is devastated not to meet with the girl, giving himself self inflicted pain, dealing with her junkie mother and the strikingly traumatic effects of his long gone father’s abuses. He’s struggling! He’s barely existing! What happens when THE MOTHER finds his trace, learns where he lives and sees him the reason of everything destroyed her life! This is a story doomed to be tragic! A story with no happy ending! No closure! Because nothing may bring back what they lost! This is absolutely well written, high tension, psychologically challenging, shaking you to the core kind of extra intense, harsh, dark, sad story which will haunt your soul for a long time! It’s more a psychological and domestic thriller with triggering subject such self inflicted pain, psychical and verbal abuse, cheating, addiction, domestic violence! B. P. Walters rocked my entire world one more time! I’m rounding up 4.5 stars to 5 heartbreaking, tearful, sad, grim stars! I cannot wait to read anything he writes in near future ! Special thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins UK/ One More Chapter for sharing this digital reviewer copy with me in exchange my honest opinions.

One of my favourite books of the year so far! From the very first page you are gripped. As in you will not be able to put it down at all . This book has many twists & turns, excellent characters & brilliant storyline.. You end up really caring about my characters especially Caroline .This book would make a great TV series & is absolutely brilliant

The Woman on the Pier by B.P. Walter, published by Harper Collins UK/ One More Chapter, is a heartwrenchingly, fast paced, complex read. Excellent written kept me the story in suspense from the start til the last page. A mystery/thriller of its finest, I read the book, cover to cover, in one sitting. I recommend the book, 5 stars.

Wow… This book is going to stay with me for a long, long time. Such a heartbreaking story covering many devastating topics, mixed with a bucketload of suspense. It had me completely gripped throughout. After reading and loving The Dinner Guest earlier this year, I was thrilled to receive an advanced copy of this book. B.P. Walter has fast become one of my favourite authors and I know I’ll read everything he writes from now on. I love his style of writing and that he tackles real life, uncomfortable issues with sad and thought provoking endings. This book is absolutely a 5 star read, I’ll be recommending it to everyone!

Wow…first off, The Woman on the Pier was nothing like I expected from reading the blurb. I was expecting it to be a thriller about a mother tracking down her daughter’s killer. (and in a way it kind of is...and yet really isn't. lol) It didn’t take long for me to realize that wasn’t quite what this book was. And while I must admit to being a little disappointed when I discovered this (in my mind I'd been picturing a kind of female Liam Neeson out for revenge, lol) I still must admit the story was quite gripping. Spoiler here: (though it’s learned early on so I hope you’ll forgive me) Caroline’s daughter Jessica was supposed to be away for the weekend, but for reasons unknown to her mother at the time she isn’t where her mother expected her to be, and she ends up being killed in a terrorist attack. This book takes in depth look at Caroline’s (and others’) struggle with grief and her search to discover why her daughter was where she was when the attacks happen. BP Walter does an excellent job of making us feel the anger/depression/grief that Caroline struggles with in her search for the truth. He also does an exceptional job of getting us to know and sympathize with a number of the other characters (being rather vague here to prevent any further spoilers). Just a fair warning: The Woman on the Pier is an intense and often dark exploration of loss, grief, and abuse. And given that, it kind of feels wrong to say I ‘enjoyed’ it, not sure what the right adjective to use would be. This book may not be for everyone, but I will say I found the story quite gripping, often heartbreaking, and well worth my time. 4.5 stars rounded up to 5. I’d like to thank HarperCollins UK, One More Chapter, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review an eARC of The Woman on the Pier.

BP Walter is one of the most exciting authors on the scene at the moment. His previous books were exceptionally well written, sharply intelligent, disturbing and gripping, and his latest is no exception. I was drawn in from page one, on the edge of my seat throughout, and shocked by the ending!!! Highly recommended.

A true page turner I got caught up in the authors web and could not put the book down.So many twists and turns so many surprises.I highly recommend the book the author.#netgalley #harpercollinsukonemorechapter