Cover Image: The Red Cross Orphans

The Red Cross Orphans

Peters has a reoccurring theme in all her titles: orphans. Michael and Kitty meet during medical training in England during WWII. Both orphaned at young ages, they feel a connection instantly. However, lies, distance, and distrust threaten to tear them apart. It’s a light romance, fulfilling, yet not too heavy to entice readers to forget about the real world for a few hours.
This book is set in World War 2 and Kitty has been brought up by her Aunt and Uncle following the death of her parents and younger Brother. Kittie has decided to do her bit for the war effort by becoming a trainee nurse for the red cross.
During her training she makes good friends with Trixie and Joan and tolerates Annabelle who comes from a privileged background and expects to continue to have the good life. Kitty also meets Michael, a Canadian Doctor and there is a spark between them as soon as they are thrown together trying to assist people who had been in a bombing and were trapped in rubble. Michael is also an orphan brought up by his Grandmother.
During her nursing Kittie moves to different places around the country and looks after a variety of patients, including an RAF Officer who has lost a leg. Kitty is tasked with visiting his home to see whether he can return home to assist his wife who is unwell as they also taken in orphans.
Will Kitty decide to stay and assist the orphans or continue nursing?
This was an enjoyable read although I did feel that some parts were rushed, especially regarding the decision making for whether to continue to give up nursing or not.
The Red Cross Orphans by Glynis Peters is a marvellous historical novel set during World War II on the home front. I was completely consumed by the whole novel.
The reader follows the main character as she volunteers to be a Red Cross nurse. She journeys from Harwich to Birmingham up to Scotland and back down to County Durham. I loved that she did her training at the Q.E. in Birmingham as I am familiar with that hospital in my home town. None of the Red Cross postings are long term as the nurses go where they are most needed. I admired her bravery, sense of duty and strong stomach as there were some awful scenes during the Birmingham blitz.
There is a wonderful camaraderie between the three young recruits in Birmingham. Bonds formed are strong and friendships loyal.
There is a warmth within the novel as characters pull together to help the injured. Life is to be grabbed as there is no guarantee of tomorrow. This means that whilst there are still strong morals on the whole, there will always be those who play fast and free.
Glynis Peters is a fabulous author. Her descriptive passages really bring the novel alive for the reader. I particularly loved the snowfall in Birmingham and could ‘feel’ the fear of a stray enemy aircraft in County Durham.
War blights lives. Kind hearts open their home and heart to orphans in need.
I thoroughly enjoyed The Red Cross Orphans and cannot wait to read more by Glynis Peters.
I received a free copy from the publishers via Net Galley. A favourable review was not required. All opinions are my own.
Thanks Netgalley and the Publisher.   I really enjoyed this good old fashioned storyline and makes me appreciate the world that we now live it.  Would recommend.
Wow, quite the book story of love and hope while a war goes on.  Really determined young women help during war time by becoming nurse while actually    learning to be one!  meets young doctor from Canada. well read the story!
The Red Cross Orphans quickly transports you back to World War II era Britain.  Where Kitty, a young woman brought up by her loving aunt and uncle, after her parents and younger brother perish.  Is about to step out on her own for the first time, by beginning her training as a Red Cross Nurse.  Glynis Peters does an astounding job of bringing Kitty's anxious nerves to the foreground as she steps into this exciting new role and lifestyle.

The first night she makes lifelong friends in Trixie and Jo.  They are a joined at the hip from this moment on.  Supporting one another and being each other's personal cheerleaders.  As they tackle the incredible knowledge that they must gather quickly if they are to help the growing number of injured.  I love the friendship that Peters creates with these three ladies.   Watching them bloom into strong, sure footed, and determined women.  Who all have their heads on straight and care deeply for the people around them.  It is not all work for these three, romance is in the wind.  Which adds a fun twist to the book.  Kitty feels a rush when she first lays eyes on the young Canadian doctor, Michael.  She cannot stop thinking about him.  As their friendship blossoms into something more, it seems like nothing can come between these two incredible people.  As the war trudges on and the girls are split up, and Kitty and Michael are assigned to different posts and scattered to various parts of the country.  Their bond holds strong, and much needed support comes in the form of letters.

From the first chapter I was completely immersed in Kitty's story.  The obstacles that she had to overcome as an orphan, and how she used this to help others, completely intrigued me.  However, the last quarter of the book lost steam.  I did enjoy watching Kitty grow into a cunning, knowledgeable lady.  Who is always willing to go into any situation to help another.  It was also refreshing to learn about the Red Cross Nurses and how quickly they were thrown into dire situations. Thank you to Glynis Peters, HarperCollins UK, One More Chapter, and NetGalley for this intriguing book, which is full of friendship and romance during the time of war.
Orphaned at age 4, Kitty Pattison is now training to be a nurse with the Red Cross during WWII. She meets handsome Canadian doctor Michael McCarthy, who is also an orphan. I assume this is where the title comes from, although the cover picture made me think they’d be caring for young children. They do not.
Kitty forms lasting friendships with Jo and Trix, but of course, there’s the fly in the bunch, Belle, who only wants to nurse handsome soldiers and be treated like a prima donna. I appreciated the moral resolve of Kitty to wait for marriage, and Michael’s willingness to abide by her wishes.
A lovely story.
“Sometimes, the war seemed personal - Kitty’s battle with the enemy to keep love alive, to keep track of her dearest friends, and nurture the lost souls who crossed her path.”

Peters has packed this first installment of the Red Cross Orphans series with history, mystery and romance! A highlight for me was reading about a Canadian hero. Not many wartime historical fiction novels feature a Canadian character.

A compelling and sweet read, this book highlights life for Red Cross nurses during World War two and has several strong female characters. Although they may have been naive upon recruitment, they were full of heart and willing to do their part for the war effort. The friendships formed sustained them through wartime. Together, Kitty Pattison, Joan Norfolk and Trixie Dunn show that regardless of one’s beginnings, a life serving others comes with its own rewards. Glynis highlights the human need for love as well as the support of friends and family. Glynis has the ability to engage her readers with authentic characters and her impeccable research adds to an already great narrative. I was in awe of the resilience these girls developed as a result of hardship, proving that with courage, friendship and proper training, it was possible to endure.

Congratulations to the graphic designer for a fabulous cover.

Publishes November 30, 2021.

I was gifted this advance copy by Glynis Peters, Harper Collins UK, One More Chapter, and NetGalley and was under no obligation to provide a review.
My thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for this advance copy.

Personally I found this novel rather slow moving and indeed dull. The two main characters were well rounded individuals, but just too nice and good natured. The book tells the story of the experiences of Kitty during World War Two as a trainee nurse, helping others and building long term relationships. The ending was a relief!
What a charming book. I took an instant liking to Kitty Pattison, so ordinary but with a plucky steel that was required to get us through those dark war days.
Some of the characters that I was enjoying reading, such as Belle and Bert, disappeared, but I guess that was the way of the World back in those days.
The historical element is well captured and the book is written in a friendly style that is so easy to read.
Thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins UK, One More Chapter for providing me with an Advance Reader's Copy in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.
This was a fantastic love story written from the perspective of a Red Cross nurse in training. I love that the couple defied all odds to stay together (no thanks to the devious Belle, who was portrayed as the perfect uppity antagonist).

My only reason for not giving it a 5 star rating was the very abrupt way it ended! But maybe Book 2 will continue the story!

Advanced Reader Copy provided by NetGalley
The story of Kitty Pattison orphaned at four years old after her families ferryboat disaster lives in Parkeston Essex with her aunt Lil and uncle Frank its September 1940 and she is a trainee nurse for the red cross that send her off to Birmingham. Katherine Pattison is on her way to a new adventure at the Queen Elizabeth hospital in Bath Row meeting up with fellow worker Belle Trix and Jo an over night stay with Ma Smith then onto accommodation at Nuffield nurses home. Belle is a cut above the others and makes lots of trouble a big snob as we read into the story but the three girls all remain firm friends throughout even apart with their letter writing. with the bombing raids, Birmingham is a large target and injured patients need nurses. this book focus on Kitty and her relationship with doctor Michael McCarthy, she faces a few chapters in her liFe and moves from up in Scotland, County Durham and London along the way. This is such a heart wrenching, remarkable, harrowing story that readers are going to love, especially Booklover me. LOVED IT
Kitty was raised by a loving aunt and uncle since she was four years old. During WWII, she served at a Red Cross nurse in training. Michael was raised by his grandmother until her passing. He was then in an orphanage until, at 17, he moved from Canada to England to study medicine. These two orphans met during bombings near the hospital where they worked on the same rescue team. There was an immediate spark between them.

Through bombings, a gossiping coworker, transfers, their love continued to grow. Follow these two orphans, in The Red Cross Orphans by Glynis Peters, as they work with the Red Cross during WWII. Peters lives in Dovercort. The book is very British. It is a sweet WWII romance. I was allowed to read an ARC on #NetGalley.
Wow, what a page turner. Just loved this book, sleep was unimportant whilst reading it.
My heart went out to Kitty who was orphaned and brought up by her loving aunt Lil and uncle Frank.   Kitty goes off to train as a nurse with the RedCross where she meets Michael . There are many obstacles put in their way, will the relationship develop?.
 I was hoping to see the story about Stanley and Jenny develop.
I kept delaying getting to the end as I was enjoying it so much.
Even better, this is the 1st in a series so we are left with another to look forward to.
I honestly think Glynis Peters’ books are getting better and better. Although this time she has the familiar trope of three very different girls who become friends through their wartime choices, it is clear from the beginning that this story won’t necessarily follow the conventional pattern.

The orphans in this story are not the three girls, but one woman and one man, and it becomes very clear that this wonderful wartime romance is all about them. Kitty and Michael are rich and rounded characters with frailties and flaws that make the issues they encounter and their sometimes conflicted feelings for each other all the more convincing.

Coupled with the incredibly drawn background of a country at war, rich with historical detail, this book is definitely a must read for fans of World War Two fiction – or, indeed, those who adore a great love story.
The Red Cross Orphans is another wonderful read by Glynis Peters.
Set during WWII this book captures the realities of that period & what the women went through when they joined The Red Cross nursing team.
Friendships are made & lost in the blink of an eye as all around they deal with the destruction.
Some lovely characters especially Kitty one of the main ones.
Kitty has known heartache from a young age as she lost her mum , dad & brother when she was four.
Kitty so much wants to train as a nurse and make a difference to the war effort so she joins the Red Cross nurses program.
Feelings and emotions run high & they need courage to carry them through these hard times.
Well written the story flows with ease & I thoroughly enjoyed this historical wartime read.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for this ARC.

This is my first read by this author and I thoroughly enjoyed it.   It is a refreshing change to read a book set during WW2 about women going into Red Cross nursing.   Kitty Pattison leaves her home to join the Red Cross Nursing programme.    I found this to be a very engaging, heart warming read which grabbed my attention immediately and I soon found myself quickly immersed in the story.    There are such lovely, likeable, strong and believable characters here who quickly form long lasting friendships and draw strength from each other during dark times and only one character I didn’t really like.  I loved that the book had different place settings, and particularly liked that part of it was set in Birmingham where I’m from.   I thought this book was very well written, it came together beautifully, it flowed really well, and was a pleasure to read.   I felt the author captured the reality of wartime Britain and her characters thoughts, feelings and emotions during this period very well.    In conclusion this is a great read about friendships, courage, love, family and hope for the future and a book I would recommend if you like books set during this period.
I received a free e-arc through Netgalley.
I imagine it was a bit exciting for women during the war who got to step over society's usual expectations for them to take on new roles. Kitty wants to help with the war effort as well as travel and explore the world after being orphaned at a young age. She meets Michael who was also orphaned and together they help piece people back together during the war.
A charming insight into what it was like for a Red Cross nurse during the war and the author brings across the hardship and resilience of the effects it had on the people that had to carry on as best they could while their loved ones were defending their freedom. There were just a few errors that I’m sure have been corrected now, in chapters 29 and 30, Smithy  goes from being Douglas to Gordon and back again .I would like to thank the publishers and Netgalley for letting me have the book to read and the opinions expressed are entirely my opinions and are completely unbiased.
This is a wonderfully written book about a young woman who joins the Red Cross to train as a nurse during WWII. IT is a unique setting for a historical book as I haven’t read one about Red Cross nurses.  The supporting characters are well developed and I could picture them in my mind.  I enjoyed the medical aspects of the book and it is surprising more soldiers didn’t die during WWII due to the lack of medical knowledge.  We have certainly had a lot of improvements for infection control and burn care.  The romance aspect of the book is interesting as it is not the be all or end all for Kitty. She is independent and wants to make something of herself and she decides to stay single so she can finish her nurses training. It’s crazy how women who married could not be a nurse in that era.

My only issue is that this is book one of a series and it ends in the way that the next book will pick up from that exact spot.  Therefore there is no closure to the storyline.  I thank One More Chapter for inviting me to read this sweeping saga.