The Red Cross Orphans

Pub Date 30 Nov 2021 | Archive Date Not set

From the bestselling author of The Secret Orphan comes her brand new unputdownable historical fiction novel!

A journey into war, but not one she’ll take alone…

Orphan Kitty Pattison is young, naïve and ready to do her bit for the war effort when she volunteers with the Red Cross and pledges to help those most in need. It’s one of the most nerve-wracking moments of her life, but then she meets fellow volunteers Joan Norfolk and Trixie Dunn, and a bond of friendship is forged in the fire of life on the wards during the Blitz.

Days are spent nursing injured soldiers back to life and nights are spent anticipating bombs falling from the sky and then trawling through the wreckage to save who she can, but the light and laughter she finds with Jo and Trix see Kitty through the darkest hours.

And when Kitty starts growing closer to handsome Canadian doctor Michael McCarthy, it’s her friends who help her to find the courage to realise that no matter what has happened or what is to come, we all deserve love…

This stunning new historical novel from the internationally bestselling The Secret Orphan takes readers on an emotional journey and follows in the footsteps of the brave women who volunteered with the Red Cross during the Second World War.

A journey into war, but not one she’ll take alone…

Orphan Kitty...

EDITION Ebook
PRICE A$6.99 (AUD)

With grateful thanks to netgalley for an early copy in return for an honest opinion. First time reading this author and what an outstandingly poignant tale unfolds right in front of us, This author has very cleverly captured the feelings of her characters quite remarkable plenty of tissues were needed in the reading of this book, I can highly recommend ❤

Thank you Netgalley for this. What an emotional book the author had me using so many emotions. I felt like I was actually in the storyline definitely recommend and would recommend this lovely author.

Thank you One More Chapter, NetGalley and Author for this advance ebook copy in return for an honest review! A fabulous story that pulls you in and a lovely mix of characters! I enjoyed everything about it- the characters, story and writing style. Loved reading about Kitty, Joan and Trixie and I felt like I was right there with them throughout it all! Rich in detail, beautifully written and hugely absorbing for those who enjoy good historical fiction. Friendship and love this book has it all! Can't wait for book two! Thanks again NetGalley, Publisher and Author for the chance to read and review this amazing book! I'll post to my Social media platforms closer to pub date!

A lovely story of the courage and camaraderie of Kitty Pattison and her friends as they volunteer to become Red Cross nurses during the second World War. Kitty had known loss in her life, so could empathise with the injured soldiers who had suffered so much. When she meets handsome Canadian doctor Michael McCarthy there is an instant attraction, but both decide to wait until the war ends before marrying. Great that it's set in Birmingham and other places around Britain, as so often war stories highlight the London blitz, forgetting that cities from Southampton to Coventry were also decimated.

Lovely characters in this novel set in war torn England. Kitty Pattinson, a young girl orphaned at age 4, is brought up by her aunt and uncle in a sheltered, well protected home on the coast of England. Eager to do her part when war breaks out, she enlists in the Red Cross nursing program, she leaves home and is stationed in Birmingham where she receives her training, meets lifelong friends and falls in love. Here begins a tale told of unexpected heroes found in every day life, the emotion, loss and horror of war. Hats off to Glynis Peters for showing us the raw wounds under the resilience of the “stiff upper lip.” Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to reach an early copy of this book.

What a wonderful story of friendship and courage! This book is hard to put down and you definitely need a box of tissues while reading it. Kitty Pattison volunteers as a Red Cross nurse in WWII and soon becomes friends with Joan and Trixie. The bond of friendship formed during these desperate times is unbroken. They live through dark times but also have fun. Kitty falls for a Canadian doctor but can love survive during these hard times. A really enjoyable read and I look forward to further books in the series.

The Red Cross Orphans by Glynis Peters is a great WWII-era historical fiction novel that has it all: mystery, suspense, history, romance, and an excellent cast of strong female characters. I have read several wonderful books by Ms. Peters and this is another gem. I loved the three lead characters: Kitty, Trixie, and Joan. All three from different personal situations, all three brought together in their passion and quest to help out their countrymen and country as Red Cross Nurses. We get to see their struggles, hopes, dreams, losses, and sometimes traumatic experiences as they navigate this war-torn era. I loved their friendship, their loyalty to one another, and the strength they draw from each other during these difficult times. However, through all this they find hope, love, and the promise that there is a future, not just for one another, but for their country as well. Excellent book! 5/5 stars Thank you NG and OneMoreChapter/Harper Collins UK for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion. I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication.

Yet another excellent novel by Glynis Peters. Make sure you have lots of tissues handy as I sobbed most of the way through it. Follow the story of 3 young girls who show loyalty, bravery and sometimes trauma as they volunteer during the hard times of WW2 I absolutely love this reading style and this did not disappoint. Excellent Thanks to #NetGalley for the advance copy in return for an honest review.

A charming insight into what it was like for a Red Cross nurse during the war and the author brings across the hardship and resilience of the effects it had on the people that had to carry on as best they could while their loved ones were defending their freedom. There were just a few errors that I’m sure have been corrected now, in chapters 29 and 30, Smithy goes from being Douglas to Gordon and back again .I would like to thank the publishers and Netgalley for letting me have the book to read and the opinions expressed are entirely my opinions and are completely unbiased.

This is a wonderfully written book about a young woman who joins the Red Cross to train as a nurse during WWII. IT is a unique setting for a historical book as I haven’t read one about Red Cross nurses. The supporting characters are well developed and I could picture them in my mind. I enjoyed the medical aspects of the book and it is surprising more soldiers didn’t die during WWII due to the lack of medical knowledge. We have certainly had a lot of improvements for infection control and burn care. The romance aspect of the book is interesting as it is not the be all or end all for Kitty. She is independent and wants to make something of herself and she decides to stay single so she can finish her nurses training. It’s crazy how women who married could not be a nurse in that era. My only issue is that this is book one of a series and it ends in the way that the next book will pick up from that exact spot. Therefore there is no closure to the storyline. I thank One More Chapter for inviting me to read this sweeping saga.

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for this ARC. This is my first read by this author and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a refreshing change to read a book set during WW2 about women going into Red Cross nursing. Kitty Pattison leaves her home to join the Red Cross Nursing programme. I found this to be a very engaging, heart warming read which grabbed my attention immediately and I soon found myself quickly immersed in the story. There are such lovely, likeable, strong and believable characters here who quickly form long lasting friendships and draw strength from each other during dark times and only one character I didn’t really like. I loved that the book had different place settings, and particularly liked that part of it was set in Birmingham where I’m from. I thought this book was very well written, it came together beautifully, it flowed really well, and was a pleasure to read. I felt the author captured the reality of wartime Britain and her characters thoughts, feelings and emotions during this period very well. In conclusion this is a great read about friendships, courage, love, family and hope for the future and a book I would recommend if you like books set during this period.