Cover Image: Christmas with the Cornish Girls

Christmas with the Cornish Girls

This is the 2nd book in the series, set in Cornwall during WWII.  It was a a light historical fiction book set at Christmas, and I enjoyed reading it.
The first book, Wartime With the Cornish Girls, tells how a group of girls left London because of the bombings. There’s a top secret facility where a few of them work.
This book tells the story of nurses in a convalescent hospital for badly wounded soldiers. There’s an orphanage next door as well.  The nurses see some awful wounds, endure aerial bombardment, and some of them fall in love with their patients.  Lily from the first book comes to the hospital to be a nurse’s aide and train to be a nurse at a same time. She plans a Christmas party for the hospital and orphanage.
It was interesting to read how they managed to have a party with food rationing in effect.  The descriptions of some of the wounded are horrifying to imagine.  If you like WWII historical fiction that’s on the lighter side you’ll like this book.  4 stars.
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Another compelling story featuring the Cornish Girl. It can be read as a stand-alone as it's not a follow up to the previous story.
I was happy to catch up with the characters, loved their relationship and the vivid historical background.
The plot is engrossing and there's a lot going on including some romance.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Lily, Hazel, Eva are back along with Lily’s family plus we get to meet Sister Rose Gray (a nurse).  Thanks to budget cuts, Lily needs a new position.  Eva writes to Lily about an opening as assistant nurse at Symmonds Hall Convalescent Home for Wounded Servicemen near St. Ives where Eva works as a nurse.  Rose is Eva and Lily’s superior, and she is a tartar (a real stickler for the rules).  Rose is in love with Dr. Lewis Lanyon, but her beautiful younger sister, Elsie has laid claim.  Rose is worried about the children in the orphanage next door.  She feels that something is amiss with the caretakers and is especially worried about young Jimmy.  Eva loves Flight Lieutenant Max Carmichael who is recovering at the hall from a spinal injury.  Max has been told that he will never walk again, and he has given up hope.  He refuses to consider a future with Eva.  Lily has been put in charge of the Christmas party for the hall and she has no clue how to accomplish the daunting task.  Christmas with the Cornish Girls by Betty Walker takes us back to 1941 with the characters from Wartime with the Cornish Girls.  I recommend reading the series in order (it will help you to know the characters, and what has happened to them).  I thought Christmas with the Cornish Girls contained good writing with a steady flow.  The characters are developed and relatable.  I enjoyed the beautiful descriptions of Cornwall.  We follow the day to day of life of Eva, Lily, and Rose at Symmonds Convalescent Home.  We get to see how difficult it was to manage the large facility with limited staff and resources.  There was so much uncertainty, turmoil, loss, and violence.  They had to find joy where they could during these tumultuous times.  The point-of-view switches between Ivy, Rose, and Eva.  I enjoyed seeing Lily and Rose change over the course of the book.  I think Lily leaving home for the new job was the best thing that could happen to her.  I love the Christmas feel in the later part of the book.  The Christmas party was the highlight of the story.  I loved the ending and appreciated the epilogue.  Christmas with the Cornish Girls will leave you smiling and a good feeling in your heart.
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an early review copy.

This is a fabulous and heartwarming new book  in the WW2 series, by Betty Walker.

It continues with the lives of the characters from the first book. It’s best to read the first book so you are aware of the characters and their story and how it’s moving on in this book.

Eva, Lily and Rose work at a convalescent home that’s for wounded soldiers. The book describes their happiness and sad times, as well as their romance, while they work through what effects the war has on their surroundings and themselves.

It had you either laughing or crying at what they were going through, but found the book unputdownable as I wanted to continue reading to know what happens next.

I  highly recommend this series.
A lighter take on WWII Christmas fiction book
Set in a convalescent home for soldiers In Cornwall,
The characters are well developed and engaging.
Heartwarming friendships and romance….makes for a beautiful story.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for the opportunity to read this book for my honest opinion.  All opinions expressed are my own.
Eva has become a nurse to be closer to the soldier who saved her life, but he keeps pushing her away, telling her she’s better off without him.

Lily has joined the hospital staff at the recommendation of Eva, and is immediately tasked with planning a Christmas party for the patients.

Rose is in love with the young doctor, who has an unspoken agreement with her sister, Elsie. Rose takes out her own unhappiness on Eva and Lily, but when she suspects children at the attached orphanage are being mistreated, she finds herself seeking Eva’s help.

The second in a series, CHRISTMAS WITH THE CORNISH GIRLS has a surprising amount of suspense for a romance. The setting is evocative, the characters well-developed and engaging. You needn’t have read the first book in the series to enjoy this one, but you should because it is also good. #ChristmasWithTheCornishGirls #NetGalley
This is a really nice story and although I hadn't read the first one in the series it didn't mean I couldn't read and enjoy this one, the same characters pop up in both books but some of the back story is explained, might be best to read the first one but not necessary.
This is the second book in the Cornish Girls series, although I haven’t read the first one - ’Wartime with the Cornish Girls, I enjoyed this one.

Set in England, it is 1941, during the war, in St. Ives, and Christmas is around the corner. These young women are busy tending to the officers who have been wounded in the war. Eva wanted to help one in particular, a man who saved her life, but was wounded in the course of protecting her. Eva’s friend Lily joined her with some mixed feelings, her fear being overcome by her desire to join in this worthy endeavor with her friend, and her compassion for these men. And then there’s Rose, who can’t seem to limit herself to just her job nursing these men back to health when she notices disturbing trends at the orphanage next door.

Of course, with a war going on, there are moments of tension, there are also many more moments of genuine acts of caring for these men, and efforts to help them keep their spirits up, despite their present situation. And, yes, even a gentle hint of romance as the holidays approach, and the Christmas party these women are preparing for has them working extra hours, and their options limited along with supplies, but they are determined to provide a night that will remind them of better days. It was easy to envision this all, and I can easily see this being made into a movie, the kind that would be watched again each year as the holidays approach.

Pub Date: 25 Nov 2021

Many thanks for the ARC provided by Avon Books, UK / Avon TheCornishGirls #NetGalley
This is the second book in The Cornish Girls series and picks up in the wake of Wartime with the Cornish Girls and in the lead up to Christmas 1941.  I haven’t read the first book and although some of the same characters feature in this second book, it is a self-contained story that works well as a stand-alone.  The story picks up in October 1941 in Porthcurno, West Cornwall with eighteen-year-old Lily Fisher, her younger sister, aunt and gran having left Dagenham for the relative safety of the countryside four months earlier.  Eva Ryder, a family friend and daughter of the Colonel who heads up the Eastern House listening post, has recently taken a job as a nurse at Symmonds Hall Convalescent Home For Wounded Servicemen in St Ives to be near the American airman who saved her life.

When an vacancy arises and Eva contacts Lily with an offer to become a trainee in the officers’ convalescent home it gives Lily an opportunity to get away from the bad memories of a handsy great-uncle.  In immediate charge of Eva and Lily is forbidding Sister Rose Gray who has resigned herself to the fact that when her younger sister returns from her war work she will marry Dr Lewis Lanyon, a man whom Rose works alongside and also loves.  An orphan herself, Rose, has other pressing concerns about what she suspects is mistreatment of the children residing at the adjoining orphanage, also financed by the benefactress of Symmonds Hall.  Meanwhile new girl, Lily, is charged with organising the residents Christmas party on a rationed, shoestring budget and Eva is struggling to stop her American pilot, Flight Lieutenant Max Carmichael, giving up all hopes of recovery from his spinal injury and marrying her.

Unfortunately this novel felt like a pretty weak example of wartime sagas and left me with the distinct impression that the author had simply read a few, bypassed the research and knocked her own saga series out.  In the book Lily Fisher’s family come from Dagenham which is not the East End and wasn’t even considered to be in London until 1965 yet the author persists in using the two locations interchangeably.  It was sloppiness like this which characterised the entire book with Eva, a Colonel’s daughter who had been to finishing school, occasionally speaking in the manner of Lily from Dagenham rather than with the plummy voice she was described as having.  An undemanding and heartwarming read, albeit a very predictable one that is eminently guessable from early on.
Christmas with the Cornish Girls
by Betty Walker
Pub Date 25 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 27 Nov 2021
Avon Books UK, Avon

General Fiction (Adult) |  Historical Fiction |  Women's Fiction

A feel good story bringing together three young women together in sisterhood during wartime in 1941 at a convalescent home in St Ives Cornwall. Lily a shy 18 year old just gone through some non-wartime trauma wishes to hide away from everything then decides to do her part for the war she goes to St Ives. Lily decided to work alongside with Eva her friend who went into nursing to nurse Max an American pilot back to health. Sister Rose is changing from holding her closed heart to becoming open and letting both Lily and Eva become friends with her. Rose not liking how orphans are being mistreated next door goes to find out what’s happening. Certainly a beautiful heartwarming story which details relationships and friendships the three Cornish girls are embracing during wartime.

Even with being a second book of a series Wartime with the Cornish Girls; it’s rather easy to pick up the story without reading the first book. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves to read historical fiction- romance, wartime fiction- romance or womens fiction.

#TheCornishGirls #NetGalley
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Avon Books UK  via NetGalley for my honest review of the book.   The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own thoughts, feelings and viewpoints of the book.
Publish date 25 November  2021 for Netgalley, on 21 November 2021 posted on my WordPress blog, Facebook blog, Instagram, LinkedIn, Amazon.com.au, goodreads, along with the non-linked retail online stores that sell the book is at:

My WordPress blog link  is http://bluefalkon95adorationofallgenres.wordpress.com  I have 27 followers
My Facebook reader blog page link, is https://www.facebook.com/BlueFalkon95-Readers-blog-104660277776984 I have 27 followers
My Amazon.com.au link is:   Sorry I do not have any followers, I have a reviewer ranking #10,871 now #6,489 on 18 November 2021 with 3 helpful hints.
My Amazon.com link is: No followers and reviewer ranking of #8, 975, 735 on 18 November 2021.
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for this lovely charming book

the second book in this series and i have to say i thoroughly enjoyed catching up with the characters i met in the first book

a feel good book this with plenty to keep you entertained and a glimpse into the world of nursing  during the 2nd world war and the strange laws that women had to live by

we are introduced to some new characters in this book and  to St Ives where eva and lily are now based nursing at a convalescent home for injured soldiers, and next door is an orphanage

thoroughly enjoyed this one and looking forward to the next book in this series
The Cornish Girls Book 2

1941. The bombs still fall, but in St. Ives Christmas is finally approaching for the Cornish Girls

With the war ongoing, Lily is feeling anything but festive. That is, until Eva asks if she'll join her in working at an officers convalescent home, lifting her spirits no end. Rose suspects the local orphanage is mistreating its charges - and it's her job to uncover the truth before it's too late.

Lily. Eva and Hazel are back and we have a new character, Rose. The story mainly focuses on Lily and Eva. We follow the women through their everyday trials and their hopes and dreams for the future. Next to the convalescent home is an orphanage and we meet a young bit, Jimmy. Rose is concerned that the orphanage is not being run properly.

As this story does not carry on where the first book left off, it could easily be read as a standalone. It's an easy to read book with some lovely characters. I like the friendship between the women and the character development. There's a little romance too. This is a great read.
I loved the first book in this series and this one was just as good. It’s better if you’ve read the first one as the same characters appear in this book  and you need to know the back story. This one was very festive as well as a little bit sad but with a happy ending which is always a plus. I do hope there is more to co e in this series as I’d love to know what happens to these characters after Christmas. My thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review. This
Loved this book from the off.  We join Nurse Eva and Sister Gray (Rose) in the convalescent home for the wounded soldiers.
Eva is passionate about trying to get Max mobile again after he helped her in an air raid previously.  Max is not willing to cooperate and refuses to see her.  Sister is determined to keep Eva away so as not to hinder Max’s treatment and to keep her away from Dr Lewis.
 Sister Gray also has a great desire to keep an eye on the young orphans in the Orphanage next door.
 Young Lily joins the home to train as a nurse but gets a bit more than she bargained for when there is an air raid on the day her family visit.
There is lots going on to keep you glued to the pages while being a gently story along the way.
Look forward to more books by this author.
I really liked this! I plan on reading it again to read slowly, as this is such a cozy reading experience and setting. And I think I joined in on the middle of a series? So I need to remedy that. :)
I love a good series especially a WWII saga & this is certainly one I’m enjoying following.
This story follows Lily & her decision to be a trainee nurse working in an officers convalescent home in St. Ives Cornwall.
Her friend Eva has persuaded her to accept the job there where she herself is a nurse.
Their paths cross quite a lot with the formidable ward sister Rose Gray.
I read this book in a day. I could not put it down. Thoroughly enjoyable historical fiction. It was so lovely to catch up with the characters from the previous book and be introduced to some new ones. I had such a joyous feeling by the end of the book. It made my little heart happy. A wonderful festive read and I really hope that there's another book in the series, I feel like we need to know what happened Ernest so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and Betty Walker for the chance to read this book,

I had read the first book in this series and thoroughly enjoyed it so was really looking forward to this book and was delighted to be able to read the ARC.

Again a heart warming tale about friends and acquaintances living in Porthcurno and around St. Ives in Cornwall. It was lovely to meet old characters and find out their continuing stories and meeting new ones. This time the story is centred around a convalescent home for injured servicemen and an orphanage which appear to be in the same stately home. They share a basement used for an air raid shelter.
I had little idea that bombs fell so close to the Cornish coast though I suppose they would have been on their way to bomb the Plymouth Docks. But they did and had an impact on the orphanage side of the building which had far reaching consequences.
As in sagas of this genre there was love, loss and misunderstandings but this added to the general ambience of the story.
Again a triumph for Betty Walker and I sincerely hope that there is a third in the series to come

Thank you again for all involved in mu opportunity to read this book
It's 1941 and Eva, Lily and Rose are all working at a convalescent facility for wounded soldiers in Cornwall.  These three women are quite different from one another but united in their efforts to help the men, the children in the orphanage, and each other.  It's a light, positive read with good characters.  I missed the first book but that wasn't a problem at all- I found myself caring about everyone here immediately.  Thanks to netgalley for the ARC. A good read.
Lily Fisher is living in Porthcurno, West Cornwall in 1941, her family’s home in London was destroyed during an air raid, and Lily, her gran Sheila, Aunty Violet and younger sister Alice are all living in a small cottage, and working as cleaners at Eastern House. Lily’s given the opportunity to work as a trainee nurse at Symmonds Hall Convalescent Home near St. Ives, and she’s nervous about leaving her family. She enjoys helping the soldiers, working with her friend Eva, and they want her to organize the Christmas party.

Eva Ryder is a nurse at the convalescent home, her father’s in charge of Eastern House in Cornwall and she’s knows Lily’s entire family. Eva recommended Lily to Sister Gray, Lily’s a sensible girl and she needs a change from cleaning at Porthcurno. Eva’s always getting into trouble with Sister Gray, she’s often running late and gets caught chatting to the patients. Flight Lieutenant Max Carmichael, saved Eva from serious harm in London and he’s recovering at the home. He’s rather dejected, he doesn’t think his condition will improve, Eva’s madly in love with Max, she’s sure he will get better and she’s used to getting her own way.

Sister Rose Gray is in charge of the wards at Symmonds Hall, she works closely with Dr Edmund Layons, Dr Lewis Layons and she has a secret crush on the younger doctor. Rose is concerned about the safety of the children living at the orphanage next door, they look thin, are forced to play outside in the cold weather, and she hears crying at night.

Christmas with the Cornish Girls is a delightful story about the nurses and doctors caring for the injured soldiers at the convalescent home during WW II, you get to know the staff and owner Lady Babs Symmonds, discover what’s happening at the orphanage, how Lily plans the Christmas party with the help from cook, Eva, the children are invited and it's a huge success. Characters from the first book in series Wartime with the Cornish Girls are included in the uplifting narrative, I loved both books by Betty Walker and five stars from me.