Cover Image: The Noise

The Noise

The Noise is a mystery thriller about a phenomenon connected to a noise that causes catastrophes.
I was really drawn by the premise, which has some similarities with another book that I really liked - Border Post by Dimitry Glukhovsky (not sure if that ever came out in English, original title Пост in Russian).
The Noise turned out to be a bit of a slow burner for a thriller, which I didn't necessarily love, so it took me a while to get through the book - sometimes nothing happened for a while and my interest would diminish. But the characters and premise kept drawing me back in.
The ending was decent for a sci-fi/fantasy book, it wasn't my favourite and I expected something a bit different, but I was more or less satisfied, which is much more than I can say for many books in the same genre from the last years.
I genuinely recommend the book if it seems like something up your alley - it's pretty realistic, it's a curious story and a very good idea overall.

*Thanks to NetGalley and Random House UK for providing me with an free copy of this title in exchange for an honest review.*
An explosion rips through the heart of a little settlement in rural Oregon leaving only two survivors, sisters Sophie and Tennant.
How did they survive, is the question a group of the best minds in the country have been asked to find out?
The results are incredibly complex and, after rigorous studies of both girls, it seems they have a bigger problem than they could ever imagine. It all started with the explosion which has resulted in a noise that is controlling everyone that hears it and the noise is spreading quickly causing death and carnage as the people infected do nothing but run destroying everything in their wake. Could one of the sisters have the answer to solve this catastrophic problem before it takes over the whole country?
An mind blowing story that is fast paced, tense and immensely terrifying. A novel that flows brilliantly with a cast of characters that are captivating throughout and an ending that will blow the reader’s mind. This book its unputdownable and one I highly recommend.
Ok I’ll admit it, I’m a massive JP fan........it’s started with The Women’s Murder Club and an affair with Alex Cross soon started!

Anyway back to the point.......The Noise.......what can I say! I was unprepared for this book, it was nothing like any of the previous JPs I’ve read. So the plot is basically an out of control mob that cannot stop running, they don’t stop for any obstacles, including people, buildings, rivers etc. They seem physically unable to stop and also unaware of any injuries they pick up on the way. Death is the only way out

Scientists and researchers and experts in various fields plus the US Army are brought in to figure out the problem and how to save the population as it seems as soon as the zombie like mob gets close to others they are infected too, the crowd grows bigger and closer to major US cities.

The cause of the problem seems to be a noise that controls the people. Two survivors of a town that was flattened by the crowd as they were in an underground cellar are studied. The younger sister Sophie seems to be more affected by the noise than her sister Tennant. The team of experts use the two girls to learn about what is controlling them and how to over come the hold it has on people.

I did enjoy this book, If I had the time I would have read it all in one sitting. It is the  first time I’ve had to put a book down as I became uneasy, probably because I was reading it at night in the dark in an unfamiliar room while we were away for the weekend!!

It did feel like the characters could have been developed a bit more, especially in regards to the ‘experts’. Also some of the behaviours the younger sister Sophie exhibited seemed to be more for shock value rather than context but overall I did find the book very intriguing! It kept my interest in a sense that I wanted to get to the end quickly to see what happened!

4 stars given as I felt some things could be better, With the exception of the sisters none of the other characters were really developed as much as I would have liked, also with each chapter of the book was written from a different persons perspective I found myself having to flick back to the beginning of each chapter quite often to remind myself which characters point of view we were reading about

May thanks to NetGalley for this arc! It
A gripping thriller, which kept me reading long after I had intended to put the book down.  It's not the greatest work of literature, but definitely a great read.
A group of experts are taken to a remote area usually inhabited by survivalists where an inexplicable event has taken place. They will discover the explanation may involve something more than human intervention.
I am a huge fan of James Patterson and his co author J Barrett and this story didn’t disappoint. If you are anything like me you will find it hard to put this one down.
This book isn’t about a marathon but I will never be able to look at a large group of runners in the same way again! Terror does have a new sound and it comes from this book! This is my number 1 page turning thriller for 2021.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a free uncorrected advance proof of the ebook in return for an honest review.
The story starts with two sisters Tennant and Sophie who are in a cellar.  Their poppa had locked them in there to try and keep them safe. They are the only two people to withstand a massive explosion that destroys their community. What is the Noise? This book is quite scary but very enjoyable unlike anything i had ever read before.
Rounded up from around 4.5 stars ⭐️ I’ve never before read a book like this one but I absolutely loved it.

Two young sisters find themselves caught up in a whirlwind when a sudden loud noise alters their lives. The noise follows the perspectives of five of the people caught up in this mysterious anomaly.

I’ve been desperately hunting for a spooky/horror book for the autumn months and the beginning of this book absolutely gave me that. I didn’t want to put it down, but was also nervous to keep reading! I absolutely love books from multiple points of view when they are done well. This book did it seamlessly and it really helped add depth to the complicated scenario. Seeing the anomaly from all different perspectives was so enjoyable.

I’ve never before read a book that seemed to combine so many genres but it worked so well. It also didn’t feel completely outlandish which added an additional ominous layer to the book. The only reason I deducted half a star was because I wasn’t fully sold on the ending, I don’t know what I had expected but I almost wanted something slightly more. I also would have loved to have known all of the characters a little deeper, they almost seemed one dimensional. Luckily, I loved the storyline so much that these little gripes didn’t do much to dampen my enjoyment!

I would recommend this book to any horror/thriller fans who fancy an added layer of sci-fi. I want to thank Netgalley, Random House UK and James Patterson & J.D. Barker for allowing me to read this book and give my personal thoughts.
Really good read - and a different type of post apocalyptic kind of tale.  A little scary really in that you could almost imagine this happening.  Well written and keeps you engaged right to the end.
A different kind of story but intriguing none the less. Characters are interesting    and the plot complex. How do you even imagine something like this. A good read.
An odd but compelling tale very well written and would make a great film. Would love a proper epilogue
This book didn't feel like a James Patterson novel but rather like a mix between Stephen King and Michael Crichton. A very mysterious thing, noticeable by a strange sound, either kills people immediately or turns them literally into 'walking deads'.

Since the reader wasn't any wiser than all the experts that were gathered to analyze the anomaly it was very suspenseful from the very beginning until the end. What is this noise, why is it happening, and the most pressing question: how can it be stopped?
My only criticism is: it could have been a bit shorter or a bit more condensed in the last third of the story. There we have just more of the same, and a tiresome way until the final.
I may not be a huge Patterson fan as I honestly think he's a bad writer, but from time to time I enjoy picking up his books as they're sort of palete cleansers for me. They're fast reads, you don't have to think much. Sometimes one just needs a book like that, so sue me.
I was intrigued withe The Noise blurb, it honestly sounded interesting an and I thought "we'll it's not like JP wrote it, he probs just put his name on it" so I thought i'd give it a go.
That was a mistake.
Every chapter was a chore. I swear, it took me forever to read it.
The characters are wafer thin, I didn't care for any of them.
The writing is disjointed, dialogues feel forced and unnatural.

Unfortunately this whole book was just a waste of time
I have read a lot of James Patterson's books, enjoyed most of them but The Noise was a weird departure for him. A collaboration with a horror writer meant some of the story and characters were rushed and off balanced. The ending was unsatusfactory.
Really not sure what is going on with some of his books at the moment. James Patterson has long been a favorite author. I love some of his series. Some seem to have the best story lines ever and some i'm really struggling to connect with. This was one I seemed to strugle with. Interesting characters but i felt I just kept getting lost with the story line. I will not let this put me off my love for JPs books and maybe its just not my time for reading this at the moment. I will give it another go but for now i've struggled to get into it.
An excellent book has you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end. James Patterson knows how to get the reader gripped from the first page to the last.
Loved every moment of this book - really hope its made into a film as would be so eerie!

Tennant and her sister live in an off the grid village with their family.

The village is plague by a Noise, and everyone going missing. Tennant and her sister are lucky enough to hide in a basement and partially escape the noise. we follow their story of how they escape the same fate as the rest of the village.

If you enjoyed Bird Box and A Quiet Place this will be a great read for you.
In a survivalist community in the Oregon Woods near Mount Hood, a ground-shuddering debilitating noise grows louder and louder. With screaming and blood pouring from multiple orifices, the parents of sixteen-year-old Tennant Riggin and her eight-year-old sister Sophia hide them in a storm cellar. Tennant has the foresight to plug her ears with beeswax and tries to protect her sister’s hearing as best she can. After the noise subsides, Tennant and Sophie are permanently affected, with Sophie in pretty bad shape. When they venture outside, they are alone, and the landscape is in ruins.

The US government assembles an elite team of military, medical, computer and scientific specialists to investigate the phenomenon, including Dr Martha Chan and Dr Sanford Harbin. The team is only permitted to spend two hours at the site where they find hundreds of people dead within a crevasse not far away. When they recover the bodies and house them in a temporary morgue, the body temperatures of the corpses are continuously rising. The civilian specialists are mistrustful of the information and movement restrictions, and we find Martha and Harbin start to defy orders and investigate beyond their agreed scope.

Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Fraser heads up the on-the-ground military operation. He discovers Tennant and Sophie hiding in another shelter and takes them back to camp, where they meet Dr Chan, who develops a closer relationship with the sisters. When the vibrations, noise, and destruction return, they realise that people affected by the anomaly are being herded into an incredible mass, running at incredible speed on a path toward Portland, destroying everything in their path. What seems like a mind-controlling infection is recruiting hundreds of thousands and will soon be millions. Beyond that extinction, and the Earth will be at peace.

The Noise is a story of supernatural, science fiction, thriller, secret military weapons testing, biological viruses and Mother Earth fighting back against human mistreatment and abuse. One thing is for sure: we’re racing towards an apocalyptic ending. The novel kicks into high gear immediately, and with the short snappy chapters, impending sense of doom, and a fast-paced plot to find answers, this is a fascinating novel. I found that while the story maintained a fast pace, it seemed to circle the same situations. The characters are there for the plot, and their depth isn’t explored as much as I would have liked, but perhaps that’s a price you pay for action-fuelled time-pressed stories.

It was great to get back to James Patterson and with JD Barker made this an enjoyable read overall. I would recommend this book to all lovers of action-packed thrillers. The underlying messages for our planet’s health and messing with science and technology are very apt in our modern world. I would like to thank Random House UK, Cornerstone and NetGalley for providing me with a free ARC in return for an honest review.
The most boring book I have read in a long time. This is not up to James Patterson’s normal standard by a country mile. The plot is boring, the characters have no depth, an altogether waste of time. The only reason I carried on reading this book was to find out what happened in the end, I wish I hadn’t bothered.
Well, reader, this has to be one of the strangest books I have ever reviewed. It was, at the same time, gripping and well written, but overwhelmingly crazy in terms of the basic premise. As a reader with a reasonably eclectic taste I have often enjoyed novels from those with just a hint of science fiction all the way to hardcore other worldly sci-fi bestsellers. Unfortunately, this offering falls awkwardly into a confused no man’s land. The words and ‘explanations’ used to explain the weird phenomenon that gives the book its title all make sense individually, but woven together, as in this book, they just do not stack up. Basically, it’s a sci-fi body wrapped around the well-trodden path of the crazy scientist/general/politician who is involved in some vast plot that endangers civilisation as we know it.
Now for a few uncomfortable admissions: it was very well written; the action sequences were compelling; and - despite my criticisms outlined above - I could not easily put the book down despite my drooping eyelids! Adding to the negative comments, on the other hand, it was occasionally gratuitously gruesome and the eventual denouement was, for me, a bit flat.
So, how to summarise ? For sure, this will have an admiring readership. It probably will appeal to slightly ‘left field’ sci-fi fans and those who like to read about government or the military industrial complex misbehaviour. For those with more sensitive tastes it’s probably not the book for them.
Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
James Patterson and accomplices.rarely disappoint and this book was no exception. As always a great read. Recommended.