Cover Image: What hurts the most

What hurts the most

1.25/5 stars! The premise of this book was really interesting and I dove right in. Unfortunately, the story cannot measure up to the premise at all. The writing was poorly styled, with little to no pacing, and it felt like it hasn't been edited at all. I think the author probably has talent based on some of her other books, but this one felt like an afterthought that was sent to the printers without review. The story suffered from being overly descriptive and not making the reader feel like they were experiencing the story at all. It was pretty painful getting through this story unfortunately.

I received an advance review copy for free through NetGalley, and I am leaving this review voluntarily
This one was not for me.
Thank you NetGalley for providing a copy of this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Don’t let the first few pages stop you from reading this mystery that is so intriguing…some rough language at first… however, this talented and gifted author has written a cannot put down story.  The characters are intriguing…the story moves quickly.  Friends and family…secrets and red herrings…love  and marriage…separation…children…a brother who is difficult to understand…losing a job…going home…separation…themes running through this book.  The mystery is difficult to solve…I was surprised at the ending…cannot wait to read the sequel.  This book was sent to me electronically by Netgalley for review.  Thanks to the publisher and the author.
After being fired from her job as a journalist, Mary Mills was suddenly informed that her brother had been charged with murder. She decided to leave her job and go back to her childhood home in Cocoa Beach, Florida. However, she quickly finds herself running back to the people she left behind, including her manipulative stepmother, an ex-husband, a depressed father, and a group of friends she used to hang out with called the 7Th Street Crew.
The situation in Mary's case has become more unsettling as more bodies start to turn up. She gets threatened by the high levels of the military in her old hometown. As the past and present collide, Mary must decide if she should seek help from her old crew or be one of the next victims. This is a great psychological novel that I enjoyed reading.

The first few pages of the book are very slow to get your head around the various characters and their backgrounds. As you get more and more clues, you start piecing together the pieces of the puzzle. However, after a while, you realize that your assumptions are not correct.

The main idea of the book is to be read with artistic license as it involves various aspects of the characters' lives. However, after a while, you start questioning some of the actions and statements that they make. These can be overlooked to make the story more enjoyable.

Although the writing is good, I did find some jumps between the first and third-person perspectives of the characters that caused me to get a jolt in the reading experience. To sum it up, enjoy the story and take a deep breath before reading it.
This was hard to put down, very tense and contained lots of twists. I loved the Cocoa Beach, Fl setting and generally don’t enjoy investigative reporter stories but this was an interesting story with an explosive ending. TW for violence and gore. Thank you NetGalley, Buoy Media and the author for this eARC in exchange for my honest review. Available now
When I first started reading this I couldn’t quite put all the pieces together and then the longer you get into the book more things find themselves in the places to put the puzzles together.

I’m looking forward to reading the next book and totally recommend reading this.
Took me a bit to get into it, but once I did WoW! Mary has lost her job, she’s to good at what she does. Then she gets a call .for her dad saying .her brother is in jail, for murder! Can she save him!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Net Gallery. The opinions expressed in this review are completely my own
What Hurts the Most by Willow Rose is the first book in the Mary Mills series. Mary has just gotten fired from her reporter job for the New York Times when her dad calls to tell her that her brother has been arrested for murder. Mary heads home to clear his name. Now her old school friends are being murdered. In order to solve the murders, she must face issues from her past. A fast-paced novel full of intrigue, plenty of twists and turns and a very surprising ending. I can’t wait to read the next in the series. Thanks to NetGalley and Buoy Media for this free eARC.
Sorry but this book just wasn’t for me, I’ve tried a few times to get in to it, but can’t. There are too much going on and I found it confusing.
This is the second series I’ve started to read from Willow Rose and I enjoyed this book…..it’s a 3.5 star read for me. I found the first few chapters a bit confusing and lacking more in-depth writing . I found as I read on  the writing evolved more and my interest peaked and I enjoyed the book more. A great murder mystery book and I am looking forward to reading the remainder of the Mary Mills series.

I voluntarily received a free copy from NetGalley and all opinions are my own .

I would recommend this book and the series to my friends and family and my book clubs.
I have voluntarily reviewed an advanced copy of What Hurts the Most by Willow Rose that I received from NetGalley. All views expressed are my honest opinion. This is the first book in a new series. I previously read all of Willow’s Eva Ray Thomas books and loved them. This book was also well written and very hard to put down. I cannot believe how many twists were in this story. Just when the reader thinks they know what happened, the author totally blindsides them.

This book features Mary Mills who returns after 20 years to her hometown of Cocoa Beach. Her father calls and lets her know her brother has been arrested for murder. She returns with her 9 year old son and faithful dog. She reunites with her group of friends from back in the day, including her estranged husband Joey. We discover there appears to be a serial killer on the loose. Through backstory we eventually piece together stories from everyone’s past and catch up with what is going on in current days. I find Mary and Joey and their friends to be genuine and likable. I really enjoyed this book and give it 5 stars. I will soon be reading the second book in this series.
A great read that had me captivated from the first page to the last!

I voluntarily reviewed this book.
I'm a huge Willow Rose Fan, and this was my first read of the Mary Mills series.  When Mary loses her job in NYC she returns to the place where most of Willow's characters reside:  Cocoa Beach, Florida.  Seems her brother has been arrested for murder, and their father implores Mary to come back and help.  There are lots of twists and turns in the story to keep you wanting to turn the next page... and the next on... and the next one...
I usually really like Willow Rose books but this one just wasn't for me.. There were a lot of characters to try and keep track of, and at times it got confusing. I had to reread some paragraphs a few times. I didn't fully love all the characters either. I'm not sure why but I couldn't really connect with Mary.

I did like the dual timelines and how we went back and forth. I didn't call the twists either.  I'll still read more of her books.
3.5 Stars
This is my continuing enjoyment of this series.

Willow Rose has created a series that will keep you interested.
What Hurts the Most, by Willow Rose. What an amazing ending for this nail biting, page gripping suspense thriller. Mary was fantastic with her investigating abilities. I normally don’t read books that involve investigative reporters. Don’t ask me why.
But it was something about this book that pulled me in to read it. Maybe it was the authors name that is so original and unique, with a bit of mystery about it, or could it be the title of the book? It could be a collaboration of them both. All that I can say is, that the psychological suspense was very powerful in this story. Just when I thought that the story would lead me down the path to a person who I thought was pulling the strings, I would be directed over to someone else who holds another peace to the puzzle.
I’m very interested to know who the General is. I thought it was a certain person, but I was clearly wrong as that person was incapacitated. The book most definitely is a page turner. I found myself staying up late trying figure out who the General was. I liked that Mary had a number people to rely on in the story.
All the characters made some type of contributions to help Mary in her investigation. I have to say one character really had me scared. Her name is AK. That woman… oh wow! Talk about someone needing some calming medication.
That woman was a well built Tasmanian devil that the military let loose! I found all the suspense very exciting as well as the action jaw dropping. The flashbacks and flash forwards helped explain reasons of why the story was taking the direction a certain way. I thought that this style made the book even more better. It was like you were holding a secret that some characters didn’t have and when it came time for the secret to be exposed, you found yourself surprised and shouting what the heck at the shock of it all.
I so look forward to the next book that comes out. I give this book two snaps and a, Mary, its time to take up some self protection classes. Until next time my fellow readers… read on!
This book pulls the reader in, and keeps you glued until the end.  I enjoyed the roller coaster ride and can't get enough of this talented author.  Recommended for anyone who loves a good read.
It wouldn't hurt to do a little research if you're going to write a book or you have key characters who are military. There's a big difference between the Air Force and Army. Air Force members don't call themselves soldiers. You don’t see a lot of Airmen at the shooting range.
I'm sure someone as sick in the head as Liz would have been found out and kicked out for her stunts. The story is good, but it irritates me when easily verifiable facts are wrong, even in fiction.
Furthermore, heart surgery was done on babies in the 70s, even newborns, so that part isn't accurate either.
Though it's a good story and I wasn't sure what was going to happen until the end.
Book 1 of the series and I already want more. So this series is off to excellent start. And who doesn’t love a strong female lead? I know I do. The twists and turns will leave your head spinning. This is my first book from this author so I did’t know what to expect. I was surprised in the best possible way. There are lots of characters so you might need to pay attention to this one. You will love it though.
At  first I wasn’t sure if I was going to like this as there were so many storylines going at the same time, but in the end, they all tied together perfectly and suddenly everything made sense. I didn’t expect the ending at all. All in all I really enjoyed it once I was able to get over everything being thrown at me all at once it felt like