Cover Image: Where the Drowned Girls Go

Where the Drowned Girls Go

Holy crap the sister school who kept hearing about since the first book is finally here! And it comes straight out of a HORROR FILM,  where children are sent to forget about their portal door and fantasy World instead of trying to find their door again at Eleanor's Academy. The goal of this school is run by a monster who is basically keeping the children in a prison until they "graduate" and we don't find out what happened to the children who never "graduate" until pretty later on and it is HORRIFYING. This book gets very dark and is probably the most terrifying in concept than any other book in the Wayward Children series, and I say this including Down Among the Sticks and Bones and In an Absent Dream.

Also Sumi is the absolute best. She's so chaotic and wise and like always spilling out the truth in the most absurd and nonsensical way. She's probably my favorite character in this series aside from Jack.
Cora the mermaid is near and dear to my heart since her first appearance in this series, and I was happy to get a book where she is the main character this time (although Sumi also makes an appearance later). She's been haunted since her last quest, and hopes a drastic change will help her get over that, but changing schools turns out to be more than she bargained for.

This was very intense at times, but fantastic like all the books in the series. There's hardly any book I look forward to more than the next one. I'm hoping we'll finally learn more about Eleanor and Kade.
I think this is my favourite in the series so far, but I am in the minority that prefer the books set in this world as opposed to the books sets in portal worlds.
With the book before this centring a completely new character I was a little apprehensive that the series would continue that way and we wouldn’t see the original group but I was, thankfully, wrong and this book perfectly combined new characters with the existing ones and the worlds we’ve already explored.
There’s a part of me that wants to say this book is a little more hard hitting than the others but I’m not sure that’s true, it’s just more transparent with it. It’s not just Cora’s struggles with her trauma and self image/identity but the majority of the students at the Whitethorn Institute and there’s a real emphasis on the students struggles shown with the contrast of how each school is run. The Whitethorn Institute is cold and regulated, overall a stark contrast to Eleanor’s home. This instalment is very clever and does what I love most in the “real” world books, it shows how our characters are growing and learning to accept their differences, and begin understanding why their doors showed up for them.
I don't think it's possible for Seanan McGuire to write a book that I wouldn't enjoy. I love books set in a school kind of setting and it was so much fun seeing a counterpart to Eleanor West's home that fans of the series already know and love. From the rest of the Wayward Children series, we are used to reading about the kids wanting their doors. It hadn't even crossed my mind that there would be some doors that would not be wanted, until this book and I loved it!
Every Heart a Doorway introduced a delighted readership to Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children, a school for children who fall through doors to imaginary worlds and then fall back out again. Such children often cannot adapt to the normal world again, they are so changed—for good or ill—by their time in other worlds. Many are tormented by nightmares or dreams of longing. The Home for Wayward Children offers them a place of understanding where they can slowly reconcile with what has happened to them and what they have lost.
But it cannot help all of them.

Cora is one such child. She’s spent too much time as a mermaid, a hero, to be able to accept a world in which her physical body makes her a target for unending teasing. When she hears about The Whitethorn School, she jumps at the chance to transfer. From the moment she enters the new premises, she realizes how different this new school is. The barred windows. The terrified, pathologically obedient students. The autocratic matrons. The Stepford teachers. The sinister headmaster. She finds herself a prisoner, subjected to daily brainwashing, with no hope of escape.

Until one of her friends from the Home for Wayward Children comes to rescue her and becomes the Whitethorn’s latest victim.

Like its predecessors, Where the Drowned Girls Go is filled with glorious inventions, friendships, compassion, and page-turning action.
OMG, do I love this series. I love how it's atmospheric, melancholic, and hopeful. The fairytale/folktale nature of the stories is so much fun. This story had a Twilight Zone feel to it. I love learning about the characters and the door/worlds that they've been to. This story about Cora is definitely melancholic, but there's definitely some hope. I enjoyed watching her journey of ups and downs that came with her trying to figure out what she wanted. Again, love this series. Amazing writing, amazing characters, such interesting plots. Can't wait to read more.
McGuire is a fantastic author, and this series of interconnected novellas gets better and better. This time we're faced with a very different approach to the children who have traveled through the doors, and it is a tense ride.
I really enjoy this series. I love seeing the different stories of all the characters, and the underlying story of the doors and what they do to these children always keeps me so interested. I can't wait to read further in the series.
This book had a couple of things working against it. It featured a character (Cora) that I don't love, and it took place entirely in this world- no portals except off-page.

The basics are this: Cora had a horrible experience in The Moors and she is not coping well. She decides that her school can't help her and she seeks a different educational institution that might be a better fit. Everyone tries to dissuade her but she's made up her mind: she'll go to Whitethorn school.

To the surprise of no one, Whitethorn is not much fun. Cora does make improvements, though, so something about it is working for her.

Then Sumi shows up to save her. I had a big problem with this. Cora had said repeatedly and emphatically that attending Whitethorn is a choice that she wanted to make. If anyone but one of the heroes of the Wayward School had shown up, this could have been a textbook case of how a girl's express wishes were not respected because everyone "knew better". However, because Sumi is a hero, in this case she did know better and didn't need to respect Cora's choice. I don't like situations that are read entirely differently depending on whether the hero or the villain is acting in them.

So, in short, this was a book about a traumatized girl, an unpleasant boarding school, and a secret at that school which was not dealt with in this book. Instead, the girls had to figure out how to escape. The villain reminded me a lot of the evil, soulless regimented being from A Wrinkle in Time. Regan from the Green Grass Fields meets the Wayward students in this book and I do like Regan and am interested to see what is next for her story. But this felt like an interlude that wasn't much of a story on its own.
Probably my favorite in the series so far. These characters continuing to grow in a world that doesn't always love them is such a joy to read. The author's writing is top notch in this one.
While I enjoy the worldbuilding and explorations of identity in these novellas, I find them hard to read when the chosen main character is unlikable. Cora is my least favorite character, so I couldn't enjoy the story as much as I normally would have. Still, McGuire weaves fascinating worlds with her words and has created intriguing side characters that I hope we get to explore. It was nice to visit this other school, but I wish a different character had been given the opportunity to do so instead of Cora.
I loved the addition of another location away from Eleanor Westwood’s home. Being a more sinister atmosphere. Appreciated by the handling of issues within the series and with Cora being a larger character, I felt drawn to her. And I love the slow burn of the will they won’t they between Cora and Christopher. Once again, Seanan McGuire has made a beautiful addition to her series. Dealing with identity and the power that we give ourselves to tell our own stories.
# Where the Drowned Girls Go is the next addition to #Seanan McGuire’s # Wayward Children series. I hate using‘Children’ because any age would find this fun to read.Students at a anti-magical school rebel. And that’s when the story gets interesting…..
# Netgalley and # Macmillan-Tor
I absolutely love Seanan McGuire's writing, the first book in this series is what really got me into their writing. I was instantly sucked into the series and haven't wanted to stop. This installment in the series didn't disappoint at all. When I started this book I was immediately sucked right back into the world that is written. I read this book all in one sitting and I enjoyed it just as much as all of the other books.
The Wayward Children series is one of my favourites, I just love the characters and the adventures they get up to. The world-building is always interesting, as we get a new world in each story (or rather with each character). With that being said, Where The Drowned Girls Go wasn’t a favourite of mine. I think it’s my least favourite instalment in the whole series.

The whole concept of there being another school for children who have visited other worlds was fascinating to me, but I didn’t enjoy the execution that much. The introduction to the school was interesting, though also grim as we find out exactly how much different the school is from Eleanor West’s Home for Wayward Children. There is a lot of power imbalance and bullying in this book, which was hard to read but also realistic. The problem that I had with this instalment is that it felt too rushed. The major turning point in the story (which I won’t get into because it’s spoilers) just happened to quick for me. I wish there was more buildup to it. But that is a problem of this type of book, the story being a novella that is. Usually I don’t have a problem with the length of the books in the Wayward Children series, but in this one I felt it needed to be longer. I enjoyed all the characters in this story, or at least I was interested in all of them. The old ones from previous books and the new ones introduced in this one.

That is basically all that I want to say in regards to this novella (without getting into spoilers). It was a solid instalment in the series but by no means a favourite of mine. I would definitely recommend this series, as it is amazing overall. I look forward to future books in the series and I will hopefully enjoy them more than this one.
I can't get enough of this series. The characters are so well written and I loved that you get more of Cora this time around with bits from Sumi and Regan too.

I feel like found family is such a massive topic for this series, but this book really pushed that message home for me.

It was interesting to see another school that they can attend and how different it is from the Home for Wayward Children. Also to see how some prefer this option more and why.

I'm looking forward to the next instalment and cannot wait to see where it leads us.
I find the Wayward Children series a quick read, which is why I continue reading them, but I have to be honest, they're getting more and more boring. I think it's pretty obvious that McGuire doesn't really have a plan for the series and is just kind of writing and making the books up as she goes along, as not a single novella feels like it's a complete part of a wider story.

I did, however, like that in Where the Drowned Girls Go, the seventh instalment, we got to see another school for children who have come back from magical worlds, but at this school, the children are forced to assimilate to the real world or they won't graduate and leave.

Personally, I enjoy these books more when we're actually in the magical worlds, rather in the real world. It's just more fun and intriguing, although I have mentioned before I'm not a fan of the silly worlds. However, I did find Cora's mental health issues, as well as discussion about her weight, really compelling and realistic.

Ultimately I will continue reading this series but only because it's a quick read that I can use to boost my reading goal for the year.
In this latest installment in the Wayward Children series, we focus on Cora and her journey to get rid of the Drowned Gods, and forget about other worlds.

Cora is a great main character. She is vulnerable, determined, strong-willed, and full of heart. Plus she’s fat! And the fat rep in this is so good. Cora’s life reflects my own in some ways. We’ve both been fat most of our lives, we both feel more comfortable in water, and we both dreamed of being mermaids. The only difference - and it’s a big one - is that Cora got to actually live out that dream.

Now in this book, we aren’t following Cora’s story from before and during her world, we follow her after the events of book 5, Come Tumbling Down. Cora is being haunted by the Drowned Gods. She can’t sleep, she needs to be in the water but is terrified of doing so in case the Gods come for her, and she is desperate for a way out. And she’s heard of another school, a school that helps you forget, someplace that instead of preparing kids for the chance of re-entering their world, it stops them from believing a door opened in the first place. Enter Whitethorn Academy. Here, all students get special diets, classes, and activities to balance and revert what they experienced in the worlds they traveled to. Instantly Cora knows she’s made a mistake.

I like the journey Cora goes on in this book. She has to use all of her skills and smarts to survive at the school let alone escape it: we also see Regan at this school which is fun! I know Across the Green Grads Fields wasn’t many people’s favorite, but I enjoyed that one and I liked seeing Regan again. I like that this book played a lot with the power of names. As someone with an unusual name, I know what per names have and what it means to deny someone of their name. So to see that played around with was really cool.

This could be my favorite in the series, I’m not 100% sure, but it’s definitely up there. I love this series and I can’t wait for the next one to come out! Tell me, what’s your favorite in the series? I’d love to know which one and why!
I absolutely adore this series and find the story and the characters to be some of the favorites I've ever read. I enjoyed reading about Cora's story. I would recommend reading the series as closely as you can together and luckily since the books are so amazingly written they are quick and delightful reads. I really enjoyed this book.
talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before.

seanan mcguire keeps expanding this world and i continue to fall in love with it!!!

this book is honestly so different to the others but something about that just made me enjoy it that much more. i cannot wait to see what happens in the next book in the series!