Cover Image: Hear's the Thing

Hear's the Thing

It’s not secret that I enjoy reading memoirs so it was no surprise that when I found Hear’s The Thing: Lessons on Listening, Life, and Love by Cody Alan that I selected to read it. I knew of Cody Alan from CMT and the fact that he had come out as gay a few years ago. Other than that I did not know very much about him but was looking forward to learning more.

Hear’s The Thing starts from Cody’s childhood and goes through his life until present day. You learn about his experiences as a Morman, as a radio broadcaster, and as a television host. You also learn about his family, his relationships, and the way he struggled with his sexuality. There are also insights from his family and friends spread through out the book.

Each chapter is started with a county song lyric which relates to what is being revealed or discussed. By doing that, you can see how how music has influenced Cody’s life and how he approaches things. Through out this memoir there was a focus on how Cody’s approaches interacting with people (celebrity or not) and how he wishes other women approach communication as well. It presents good ideas on how to make people feel comfortable in your presence especially in a society so focused on technology and social media.

Hear’s The Thing is easy to read and good introduction to Cody Alan. I did occasionally feel like there was some name dropping going on but then again as a television personality, he has met alot of people and likely developed some close bonds with repeated interactions. If you’re like me and enjoy learning about people, you will likely enjoy this one too.
Cody Alan is a charming and likable tv/radio host so it's not at all surprising that these same qualities shine through in his book, Hear's the Thing. This book shares his journey on a personal and professional level. I admit that I was far more interested in reading about his acceptance of his sexuality after having a wife and kids and its impact on his career than I was in reading about this or that country music star is so humble.

His career rise from an intern at a local radio station to CMT host was interesting. But his descriptions of his interview style got pretty redundant after a while and all of the anecdotes  about how nice and humble every artist is was not particularly entertaining

Alan's discussion of being closeted as teenager and then choosing to turn to Mormonism was fascinating as was eventual journey out of the religion later in life when he came out. But I wish there had been a little more introspection on his part about the damage the messages from organized religion can do to LGBT people.

At different times in the book we hear from the people most important to Alan,  including his ex-wife, his children and his male partner. I initially feared this would come across as gimmicky but it was one of the most moving parts of the story. Alan and his ex-wife, their respective partners, and their kids have formed a beautiful modern family and reading about how they all reached that point was quite touching.

This is a quick and enjoyable read that I just wish had been a little more introspective at times about the issues Alan went through to become the proud and openly gay man he is today in an industry not usually known for being inclusive or progressive..

Thanks you to NetGalley for the digital arc of this book.
Hear's the Thing is a fabulous novel by Cody Alan. It's part memoir, part inspirational and self help. And it's wonderful!

I love this book. A fan of Cody and his courage to come out in country music, I appreciate all he has done to help others in the LGBTQ community.

In this novel, he's raw, honest, and gives a full look into his marriage to a women, his relationship with his kids, and finding the courage to come out. He talks about his fiance, Trea and their dog Teddy, both of whom I follow on social media. He talks about his friends in the country music world, as well as in the LGBTQ community.

With this a new book, he talks about the Covid 19 pandemic and how it affected his life and work. He hits of elements everyone can relate to.

And most of all, he discusses the need to listen more. I truly love how many ways this comes up. He reminds the reader to stop and assess the situation, and to figure out how the other person is feeling. He truly has a gift to interview people and I love how well he has mastered this gift.

This book is fascinating to me. Not only does Cody Alan touch of the importance of listening, he gives the reader a behind the scenes look into his work and the country music scene. He also bravely opens up about his struggles involving his sexuality, furthering his ability to help pave the way for others.

I love this book and devoured it easily in one sitting. The writing style is sharp and flows easily. It's all fast paced, all while giving just the right amount of information about a situation. There isn't a single page I found my mind wandering or wishing to fast forward.

Hear's the Thing is a book I hope everyone reads. Cody Alan gifts the reader with many pieces of advice that everyone can benefit from. Listening is a life skill we all need to improve upon. Just read this book!

You can find this review and others at my blog - https://amysmmromancereviews.blogspot...