Cover Image: The Dollhouse

The Dollhouse

Thanks to NetGalley for an ARC copy of this book in return for an honest review.
Pros:  What a dark and tense book!  This story goes to some messed-up places.  It kept me at the edge of my seat the whole time.
Cons:  Even though the tension was there throughout the book it did seem to be slow in places.  There was a lot of action but I felt I was missing a connection with the characters or lacked the feelings or emotions of the characters a bit.
This was a great plot (WOW) and would be a great read for someone that likes a more plot-driven than character-driven storylines.
I understand there is a lot of hype around this book, and a lot of people have really liked it. I have to say, I am not one of them. This book read like a YA novel to me, which I don't ever like to read. I did not connect with the writing style, and I got bored with the dialogue between the main characters. I found it very difficult to finish. I guess I am just an oddball out of the crowd on this one.
The Dollhouse by Sara Ennis
I give this book 4.5 stars

Alfred needs dolls that will help him rewrite his past and change his future.
3 are now captives in a place called the Dollhouse.They are forced to re-stage old photographs, but satisfying Alfred is not easy……..
And there aren’t many photos left!

This brilliant psychological thriller is creepy,twisted and more than a little bit disturbing.The well written plot and memorable characters held my attention from the beginning and had me on the edge of my seat,feeling a gauntlet of emotions..l was totally invested in Angel and equally disgusted with Alfred.l particularly loved the way the Police investigation was kept as a smaller portion so all the attention and focus was on the horror of what was going on.
Book 2 is coming out shortly and l cannot wait!!!
With thanks to Netgalley and Sara Ennis for my chance to read and review this book
This book seriously gave me the creeps, and at times I had to put it down because I couldn't believe what I was reading.  What goes on in this author's mind, I'll never know!  It's uncomfortable, sickening, and downright bloody brilliant!  I'm so glad this was recommended to me and that I managed to get a copy.  Thank you so much.  I'm really looking forward to the next book.
If you’re like me and relax by reading messed up books, than look no further than The Dollhouse. This is a dark and disturbing read that totally hit the spot for me.

Kidnapper with serious family issues that causes him to recreate his past using human “dolls” ? ✔️
Interesting plot that keeps you turning the pages for answers ? ✔️
An ending that leaves you so excited for book two? ✔️✔️

There is some graphic content so please DM me if you want any TW. If you liked The Butterfly Garden, this will be right up your alley.

I can’t wait to dig into Hunter: The Sins of the Father !

Thank you to @netgalley and the author for the eARC to read and review. This one is out now.

This book will suck you right in, I did not want to put it down! It's so well-written, the characters were completely realistic, the story was so vivid in my mind! Not to mention, it took me a good 5 minutes to pick my jaw up off the floor when I was hit with a big twist that I definitely did NOT see coming!

When I finished this book, I immediately started it's sequel  "The Hunted: Sins of the Father", and so far I don't want to put it down either!
Who needs to watch movies when you have a book like this?

Sara has a wonderful way of creating exactly what you want, in a thriller/horror book. It was brutal, blunt and right in your face, it was disturbing the least and the more you read the more you wish you didn't.

I absolutely loved the main plot, and thought it was very creative. I did have an idea early on, but thought no way that wouldn't be possible but low and behold what happens; exactly what i think wouldn't happen.

I would recommend this book if you loved movies like Saw, where the victims are made to participate in "games or activities"  where they don't want to do but need to in order to survive.

Thank you @netgalley and @saraenniswrites for the gifting the ebook of The DollHouse to me. I'm now off to finish the second book The Hunted:The Sins of The Father. Which I literally started straight away 😱

I do issue this book with some trigger warnings of extreme child abuse and mental health.
There's already quite a buzz around this book on social media so I had to read it.

It's a 'children getting abducted and locked in a basement' psychological thriller, so beware it's dark and includes some very dark elements.

Two of the children who get snatched are twins Angel and Bud, while Peter is a journalist whose own daughter Olivia disappeared a year ago who refuses to give up the search.

We see the lives and struggle of the children trapped in 'The Dollhouse' while Peter leads the investigation on the outside.

It is dark, twisted and fast. It keeps the threat and tension high and is emotionally involving.

There was one element I didn't like, but it set up a great twist. While this isn't the very best book about kids locked in a basement that I've read, (still Lucinda Berry's Appetite For Innocence), it is a fast and gripping read. It is easy to forget this is a self published debut, I'm sure it will be a huge success amongst psychological thriller fans.

Today (1st December) sees the publication of book two The Hunted: Sins Of The Father, which I've started already.

Thanks to Netgalley and Sara Ennis
5⭐️ gore score 4/5
Duality #1

Don’t let the pretty gothic mystery style cover fool you, this is one of the darkest grittiest most emotional books I’ve ever read.

A psychological thriller by a new to me author. The story uses the trope of abducted and ‘kept’ children. In this case teenage twins Angel and Bud.
Peter’s story is very moving, his daughter Olivia was stolen. He is  obsessed with all children taken looking for links. He is still on a mission a year later to try and find his daughter.

There is a very good pace and plenty of tension.  The physical and psychological torture is disturbing and I had a lot of emotional investment with the captive teenagers. In some ways I felt sorry for Albert as we learn of his abusive childhood.
Its very moving, the emotional baggage keeps piling up throughout leaving me wrung out.

It has several threads to the storyline which intertwine and unravel.

This is one hell of a WOW book. It had me in floods of tears.

This is the darkest book I’ve read

It won’t appeal to everyone because of the subject matter.
⭐️⭐️⭐️💫- {THE DOLLHOUSE- SARA ENNIS}

Its every parents worst nightmare. Someone is targeting and kidnapping children from different states around the country with blonde hair, blue eyes, and who have recently been on national television. The chosen are being kept locked away in “the dollhouse” where they are treated as real living dolls, forced to recreate family photos from their kidnappers twisted past. His attempts to rewrite history through these shoots involve torture and psychological mind games, and as they get closer and closer to finishing the album the dolls realize their time in the dollhouse is running out.

💭 This book was MESSED up. Absolutely terrifying thriller! The concept was unique, there was a huge twist at the end that added a whole other element of psychological terror. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time! And just a warning ⚠️ The torture scenes are pretty graphic ☠️
Wow this book was intense! It was emotional, suspenseful and disturbing. Definitely not for those with a weak stomach and the child abuse in it was difficult to read but overall it was a crazy story. Need to read a happy book after that but then I'll be back for the next book in this series!
This book is absolutely riveting! An unputdownable thriller, The Dollhouse keeps the reader on their toes.
Angel, Bud, and Olivia were absolute heroes! Excellent writing, promising characters and a good pace makes this book a hit.
3.5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️.5

The Dollhouse is an suspenseful and disturbing thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat.

The Dollhouse is a multiple POV story that centers around a set of twin story follows a set of twins, Angel and Bud, as they are kidnapped from their home. Along with another girl, the twins are forced to endure disturbing recreational of their kidnapper’s childhood memories and tasks that involve severe punishments if they fail. All while time is ticking down on their usefulness and as a result their lives. This lead to to a suspenseful and terrifying atmosphere that constantly had me worrying about the kids’ safety.

The last 80 or so pages contained so much tension and suspense that left me debating on how the kids would escape. Although I guessed some of the minor plot twists, the major one shocked me and left me confused and questioning everything I thought I knew. I’m still not completely sure I understood the twist.

One critique I had was that the book ended a bit abruptly. The end was one of the most suspenseful parts and I felt that it could have lasted a little longer after all the built up to it. Also, I wanted to see more of how the characters were coping after everything that happened.

Overall, The Dollhouse was a thrilling and scary ride from beginning to end and had an ending that left me intrigued for the next book in the series.
Peter Baden's daughter was kidnapped almost a year ago. He has not given up and is still searching for her. He also helps other families who are going through the same thing, Which is how he meets Shine.

Shine's twins, Angel and Bud, have just been kidnapped. And they look very similar to his Olivia. Everyone thinks Shine did something to her kids.

Alfred is trying to change his past. He needs human dolls to help him do that.

This was a very interesting story, and I was unable to predict what was coming, so I was just along for the ride. I love the way everything came together in the end.
Book: The Dollhouse by Sara Ennis
Published: June 1. 2021 - OUT NOW
Rating: 2-2.5🌟

I picked this one up on a whim from the @NetGalley ‘Read Now’ section after seeing soooo many amazing five-star reviews and was honestly super excited for it.  It started off strong and I was super intrigued because it has such an interesting premise… but once I got 15% into it, it was downhill from there.  There’s just something about it (or a lot of somethings) that didn’t work for me.

The content wasn’t a problem for me despite the fact that it’s entirely focused on child abuse because I tend to read a lot of darker themed books—so that was fine and didn’t trigger me at all—but instead was the execution of the story, plot, and writing.  The writing was clunky and repetitive, the characters were all really whiney, super unlikeable and didn’t feel like very real people, while the ‘villain’ reminded me SO MUCH of Jack (the villain) from B.A. Paris’ book Behind Closed Doors (which I also didn’t really like).  I honestly could not stand Jack and the whole time I just kept feeling like I was reading about Jack 2.0.  The main protagonist, Angel, was also very annoying and I feel like she had way too many opportunities to save everyone and repeatedly just fumbled it all up.

These are just some of my immediate thoughts—all I can really say is that it just didn’t work for me and I probably won’t be running to read the second book.

HOWEVER, if you liked Behind Closed Doors, you’ll likely enjoy this one.
This book was awesome.  Addictive and disturbing. The perfect psychological thriller.  Sara Ennis has written book one in a series that I'm here for.    What happens when four kids are kidnapped and taken to The Dollhouse?   Who would do such a thing?   And' will they survive?

One of the best thrillers I've read all year!!!!!
The Doll House by Sarah Ennis is a psychological thriller that was both uncomfortable but also a page turner at the same time. This one had my heart pumping.

Brief Synopsis: This book is about a man named Alfred who kidnaps children and keeps them in the basement of his house- also known as the doll house. Alfred lived a traumatic childhood full of pain and sorrow and has a photo album to prove it. He has the children reenact parts of his childhood as he retakes photos. The photos however are not always as innocent as they appear in the original. The Dolls need to find a way out of there… and fast. Alfred’s punishments get more and more intense and it begins to appear like they all may not make it out alive.

Overall thoughts: I think this book is for people who have thicker skin than I do. I liked the overall premise and thought it would be a little more like Room but once I got into the book, it was a bit too much horror and gore for me. I also was unaware that this is the first book of a series and I don’t think I will be reading the next book. I liked the children and their determination but Alfred’s antics were all a little too much for me. I found myself skimming through the photo parts to get them over with quicker. I think this book is written well and I like the short chapters but the details were a bit much for me. If you like the overall concept of Room but also like the creepiness of the movie Saw you’ll probably enjoy this one.

Overall Rating: 3.5 It wasn’t written poorly, it just wasn’t my cup of tea.
This book was a roller coaster! There were so many surprising twists and I couldn’t stop reading. I read this in 24 hours. I felt like I was right there with the kids in that basement, feeling what they were feeling.
Thank you Netgalley and Sara Ennis for a copy of this arc in exchange for my honest review.

This book was a rollercoaster ride. It was sick and twisted in a good way. The characters were likable and unlikable. The plot was interesting and one I’ve never heard or thought of. I couldn’t put it down because I was so busy rooting for some of the characters to win. I wanted to see how everything unfolded. The author took her time to write this story where it would draw you in and have you thinking of ways for them to win as well. This book is a locked-room/psychological thriller. I can’t wait to read the next installment. All in all, I give this one ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫
The Dollhouse by Sara Ennis was a rather twisted, dark, intense read. I was completely captivated but at the same time completely creeped out. I almost equate reading the Dollhouse to driving by a terrible car accident. You want to look and see what has happened but at the same time you are scared to see the carnage. Not sure that makes sense but that’s how I felt reading The Dollhouse. It was extremely well written, and had a huge plot twist that I didn’t see coming. If you are looking for an adrenaline inducing, intense psychological thriller (borderline horror) to read, then The DollHouse is definitely that book!

Angel and Bud, 14 year old twins are abducted from their trailer park after their mother Sunshine, leaves them alone for the weekend. Their abductor drugs them and when they wake up they are locked in an underground Dollhouse. They soon discover they are not alone. 17 year old Olivia was abducted 1 year earlier. Their abductor Jennifer, does not work alone. Alfred demands she abducts blond, blue eyed children that resemble dolls and his dead sister Felicity.  Alfred keeps his “dolls” locked away and plays horrible cruel games with them.

Thank you NetGalley, Sara Ennis and Booksirens for my electronic ARC, in exchange for my honest review.  4/5 stars for me. I will definitely be reading the sequel.