The Dollhouse

Pub Date 01 Jun 2021 | Archive Date 15 Feb 2022

Talking about this book? Use #saraennisthedollhouse #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

When Peter Baden's daughter Olivia was abducted nearly a year ago, he left his career as a respected journalist to find her. Now he spends his days searching for Olivia, and helping other families of abducted children survive the emotionally and physically exhausting experience of finding a missing child.

Twins Angel and Bud are used to making do. Their dad is in prison, and mom won't win parenting awards. Bud thrives on neglect, but Angel isn't so strong.

Now they're captives in a place called the Dollhouse, and things have gone from bad to worse. The Dolls are forced to re-stage old photographs, but satisfying Alfred is not easy. He has a twisted sense of humor and a violent temper that explodes when things don't go his way -- and sometimes when they do.

Angel knows that if she and the other Dolls are to survive this warped playtime, she can no longer be needy and afraid. She must prove how strong she can be -- fast.

There aren't many photos left ..

Advance Praise

"How far would you go to replay your childhood? In the Dollhouse Alfred decides to do just that! His methods are let’s say unconventional and will keep you on the edge of your seat. Once you open this book you will NOT want to put it down. Kudus Ms. Ennis - can’t wait for the second book!" Amazon review

'"I was completely obsessed with this book right from the beginning. The story just kept introducing unexpected twists and turns, keeping me turning the pages. As my habit is to read on my lunch break, I found myself late for early afternoon meetings on more than one occasion because I just had to finish one more chapter. Ms. Ennis really knows how to spin a tale of horror and suspense, making me hate the bad guys and cheer on the good, not always knowing which was which. I highly recommend this book for people that are bored with the suspense and police procedural genres, but crave a thrilling read. This book is for you!" Amazon review

"This was a great psychological thriller. I couldn't put it down and was on the edge of my seat. The characters were great and well developed. Loved the twist and turns, it kept me guessing. Would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good psychological thriller. Can't wait for the next book!" Amazon review

"This is easily the best novel I have read all year, hands down! I have never even heard of this author before and all of a sudden kindle is telling me to read this book and I’m blown away! The subject matter, the emotions, the web of characters, the different points of view. It was brilliant! BRILLIANT." Goodreads review

This book is a disturbingly dark thriller. So much suspense. It could almost be classified as a horror rather than psycho thriller. I enjoyed this book.

This was such a intriguing book. Nothing like I've read before. It took a bit of reading in parts but that was just due to the content not the writing. The writing was so good I felt like I was stuck on there with them or watching from a distance and not able to help. It was a fascinating concept and one which I think would be a great film. It is based around a house and some mental scars that Alfred will never get over. Jennifer appears to be the slightly calming influence on him but no better than him really. Its a thought provoking book with sad and happy parts in.

Welcome to The Dollhouse, a place where no one wants to visit. This intense dark thriller had me enraptured from page one until the last page. As the story developed I kept thinking, no way could that last chapter be topped and the author managed to consistently outdo themselves!

Chilling, disturbing and gripping, this is a well-written, edge of your seat thriller . Sara Ennis completely outdid herself . Quite a few times I was frightened and had to turn the lights on . Not only is this novel chilling but at times I was down right shocked. If you haven’t read the Dollhouse yet I encourage you to do so

Q: What do you get if you mix the movie SAW with the book ROOM? A: This book ! This story was a mindfuck and I loved every minute of it. It was violent and creepy and all out disturbing, this is not your mama's kidnapping story. What does it say about me that I read the whole thing in one night, staying up until five o'clock in the morning to do so? I have such a book hangover right now and I REGRET NOTHING! This is a well thought out psychological thriller that blew me away, Sara Ennis has such a creepy imagination and I am here for it! Apparently there is a prequel to Arthur's story so I am going to ask the author for it. Cross your fingers for me. Also, there is a book two coming out to see what happens to Angel in the aftermath. I am looking forward to that too. needless to say, Ms. Ennis certainly has a new fan in this gal.

This book was called a psychological thriller. It started out that way. It quickly devolved into a crime story horror with too much torture for my comfort. Twin teenagers, Angel and Bud are kidnapped. They are forced to act out scenes for videos and photos for this disturbed man who is keeping them. He's trying to change his bad family memories of being bullied by his sister. He calls them and treats them as his dolls in his dollhouse, as objects. If they disobey or hesitate, he loses his temper and takes that out on them. At one point we meet a guidance counselor and this chapter and the others about him make no sense until the end of the book. It comes from out of nowhere. If you like crime and real life horror stories, it's mostly well written and at least it didn't have rape in it. I did feel terribly for Angel and the other "dolls". I received this e-book on Netgalley in exchange for writing a review of it.

This is a true psychological thriller. Disturbing, engaging, creepy, full of twists. It was an entertaining read, I couldn't put it down. One of the best thrillers I have read in a long time.

I absolutely loved this book! I was on the edge of my seat the entire time reading it and could not put it down. Fantastic, fast paced read. I will definitely be looking for more from this author.

Really enjoyed this book thank you for the opportunity to read it before release I would definitely recommend it.... was abit of a roller coaster emotionly and really felt connected with angel.... would have liked more info on the outcome etc of edward, Alfred and Jennifer what happened in the past and future etc

The Dollhouse was an exciting read. It kept me up at night just trying to find out what was going to happen next. The characters were relatable and the kids weren't annoying like some kid characters can be. The story intrigued me and soon couldn't put it down. I recommend this book to anyone looking for a good thriller with some good twists and turns.

Good book!! I definitely enjoyed reading this one! I wasn't sure after I read the description but I really liked it! This book was filled with suspense, action ,drama, and all kinds of twists and turns! I highly recommend reading this book! Its well worth reading! Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for sharing this book with me!

👧 Book Review 👧 👧 The Dollhouse by Sara Ennis 👧 Publication Date - June 1st 2021 👧 Alfred needs Dolls. Blonde, blue-eyed human dolls that will help him rewrite his past and change his future. Twins Angel and Bud are used to making do. Their dad is in prison, and mom won’t win parenting awards. Bud thrives on neglect, but Angel isn’t so strong. Now they’re captives in a place called the Dollhouse, and things have gone from bad to worse. The Dolls are forced to re-stage old photographs, but satisfying Alfred is not easy. He has a twisted sense of humor and a violent temper that explodes when things don’t go his way — and sometimes when they do. Angel knows that if she and the other Dolls are to survive this warped playtime, she can no longer be needy and afraid. She must prove how strong she can be — fast. There aren’t many photos left … 👧 The Dollhouse is a deeply disturbing and dark psychological thriller. The torture scenes are there but not incredibly full on to the point that they make the reader upset but maybe a little uncomfortable. 👧 The characters were well developed and relatable. I particularly enjoyed Angel's character, she suffered greatly but still tried to save her twin and Olivia. 👧 Ennis writes to make you feel that you are experiencing everything with the characters. You feel their emotions, fears and hopes. 👧 There are many twists and turns to keep you interested and intrigued until you are reading to the early hours of the morning... 👧 Recommend to anyone who loves a thriller and isn't squimish about some uncomfortable torture scenes.

I want to start off with 2 trigger warnings in this book. If that is something you would like to avoid, then stay away from this book. A famous reporter who has his daughter kidnapped. A set of twins in another state kidnapped also. A school guidance counselor that just wants to help and do good. Are the two kidnapping cases connected? If so how? Now onto the review...The characters are so real. I feel like I know some of them. The author had a great way making them real and making their emotions and reactions something you understand. There are moments, I feel like things are happening to me! Description of places or the things happening are vivid, clear, powerful. Plays like a movie in your head. Why would someone do this is constantly looping in your head. Overall, if this is your kind of genre, than it won't disappoint! A couple twists, turns that really surprised me! This is just the first book also...book number 2 come out in the fall! Looking forward to it.

THIS BOOK!! Wow!!! I started it knowing it was a thriller but it kept me turning the page as fast as I could to know what happened next. The take that Sara rooks on the twins and Olivia even down to little Gracie was so fascinating and made you root for them at every second to escape. 5/5 stars on this!! A read that is the definition of a psychological thriller that keeps you on your toes.

This books introduces some many characters within the first couple of chapters that I really I had to focus in who was who; a character was introduced and you learned something about them, just as you are invested on them and wanting to know more, a new character comes in and the process starts over. Readers meet twins Angel and Bud and learn that their mother is "no mother of the year", she leaves her two 14-year olds away from a week while she goes on a trip. Angel gets kidnapped, along with Bud and they are brought to the Dollhouse. Peter is introduced next and you read about his hardships in life: Olivia being kidnapped is the only hardship he can do something about. He uses his time and resources to try to get her back. As Peter finds more clues, will be find his daughter, Olivia? Can Bud learn to control hs temper to keep him and Angel safe in the Dollhouse? Will Bud and Angel ever make it safely out of the Dollhouse? The Dollhouse is a twisted story where Alfred is trying to remake his childhood memories. as a boy, he was bullied by his sister and others around him. he uses his "dolls" to try to change the outcome of his memories, but doesn't feel successful. This book had me invested at the beginning, trying to figure out if Angel and Bud would make it out safe again. *warning - this story does have a man who likes to beat children in it. It's not usually overly graphic, but it is a part of the story. I'd like to say a huge thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

This book was unlike any other thrillers I have read as it had a unique premise I have not come across in my years of reading. It kept me engaged with the story of these kidnapped children forced to live in a “dollhouse” under the control of a psycopath essentially. I did lose slight interest in the middle and was somewhat confused in regards to the escape plan until it all clicked for me towards the end. The last 20% of the book made it absolutely un-put-downable. There were definitely some darker scenes that might be bothersome to some readers, specifically regarding very descriptive scenes of abuse. Overall, i really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more of Sara Ennis’ book!

14 year old Twins Angel and Bud are taken by a mysterious lady after their mothers leaves them alone for a weekend. Jennifer gives Angel and Bud a tour of the ‘dollhouse’ and meet original ‘doll’ Olivia, who was taken from her family over a year ago. They are threatened to abide by the rules or face the wraith of Alfred and his violent temper. They are forced to reenact photos from Alfreds past, but as the number of photos left dwindle, the trio fear their own safety. Meanwhile, Olivias dad and FBI agent, Nick are following a trail and homing in on Alfred and Jennifer. A great thriller, plenty of twists, some you see coming and others you don’t. I really enjoyed this and will be looking to read more by Sara Ennis.

Soo good! I truly enjoyed it! It's so dark - I love it! The Dollhouse by Sara Ennis was brilliant, and I really am excited to read more from her! I suggest not reading this before bedtime because it gave me the creeps, and I really didn't want to wake up from a nightmare, sweating. If you had to define what a psychological thriller is - this is it. It is mindf*cked.

This is definitely not a book for everyone. Disturbingly creepy, I'm still trying to process i. But it was so good! I could not put it down! A bit dark at times, and a bit graphic at others. Terrific writing and such a good story! Thank you!

Thank you to Sara Ennis and Netgalley for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review. This story of children who are abducted and forced to live in a "dollhouse" in a basement and perform at the whims of a madman is not for the faint of heart. The Dollhouse reminds me of a screwed up version of Flowers in the Attic. The book was fast paced and disturbing which made for a quick, enjoyable read. There is a huge, whopper of a twist towards the end of the book that I did not see coming at all. I've been struggling with what I think of the book since I finished. While the overall premise is interesting and unique, there are some problems that are just too hard for me to overlook. 1. There's a sequel in the works. Imo this should really be a stand alone book. If a real person went through the same thing as the MC they would behave completely differently warranting no need for a second book. 2. The book is too long and the editing really lets the book down. 3. Without spoiling anything, the twist makes aspects of the novel inaccurate. I don't want to spoil this, so I'll just say, it usually doesn't work this way. I realize I'm most likely going to be in the minority here, but overall The Dollhouse just didn't work for me as much as I wanted it to. I just didn't click with it, although you may have better luck. Recommended for lovers of: psychological suspense/thrillers, mysteries, serial killers, general fiction, women's fiction, psychology. This book contains a number of triggers including: abduction, kidnapping, torture, abuse, murder, and drugs.

This is a rather creepy psychological suspense thriller. The story is mostly told from the perspective of Angel, one of the fourteen year old abductees and this gives the scenes in the Dollhouse a more frightening edge. The rest of the story is told from the POV of the father of a girl who was abducted a year ago and whose mission is to help the parents of other abducted children. The story and writing style are fast paced so it is a reasonably fast read and it kept me engrossed. There is a good twist and I enjoyed the ending which was a little different and unexpected.

The Dollhouse by Sarah Ennis is a force to be reckoned with. The intensity of the story propelled me forward and I read this book in half a day. Heartbreaking, jaw dropping and twisted are only a few ways to describe this book. I was captivated and The Dollhouse deserves every one of the five stars I’m giving it. I am so happy there will be another book in this series. Angel and Bud are just trying to get by with a negligent mother and father in jail for life. When Bud sees Angel being abducted, he tries to save her but ends up being taken as well. They arrive at “the dollhouse” where evil lives. Alfred is using the 14 year olds to recreate photos from his past and when things don’t go as he planned, things can get very dangerous for the dolls. Can they escape before they are no longer needed?

Sunshine decided to do weekend trip by herself,  for a break after all the court drama of her ex husband robbed a bank and left her twins alone at their trailer. That's when the twins, Bud and Angel, got abducted. Kept like prisoner in the Dollhouse, they met another girl, Olivia. Olivia has been in the Dollhouse for a year. Their abductor, Alfred, is trying to remake his childhood photographs using those kids. It's a psycho dark thriller with a few abusive scenes. Creepy is another word for this book. If you love twisty dark psychological thriller, you'll love this one. This book also will have a sequel coming.

I didnt know what to make of this book to start with but then I got really into it and just needed to keep reading until the end. I needed to know who the men were. I want to say more about the book but so worried about spoilers, this is a very good book if this is your genre please read it. I was given a copy by netgalley and the publishers but the review is entirely my own.

Kinda creeped me out I guess in a good way. Fantastic storytelling. Keeps you on the edge of your seat. I highky recommend.

OMG! If you're looking for a book to keep you up all night look no further. This book is Creepy. It's downright Scarey with the amounts of surprises within the pages. A Father looking for his daughter is one of the strongest storyline ever and this one blows it out of the water for me. Definitely one of my favourite books in 2021!

Thank you for the opportunity to read this book and provide my honest feedback. I must say, wow. This is a very well written psychological thriller. I enjoyed the characters and felt connected to them, even if I wasn't a fan of them. This book reminds me of something that would be on the show Criminal Minds, but without the heavy police part and was more about the victims and perpetrator. This is a must read, and I'm definitely interested to read the next novel!

This was such a great psychological thriller that pulled me in from the very first page! I love books that are dark and disturbing and this one really delivered. The author was great at describing everything, to the point that you often felt like you were right there to personally witness all that went on inside of the dollhouse. My heart broke for all that these kids were put through at the hand of a crazed psychopath, and I found myself rooting for them the entire time. The characters were all so well written and there were some great plot twists to keep you guessing! Thank you @Netgalley and the author for the free ebook in exchange for my honest review.

WOW! This new to me author is now an auto buy! This book was dark, twisty and left me wanting to read more by Sara Ennis. I absolutely loved this book and can't wait for her to publish more.

THE DOLLHOUSE. Almost a year ago, Olivia Baden was abducted. Peter Baden, Olivia’s father, has quit his job and spends his days using his money and influence to search for Olivia and to help other families who have had children abducted. I’m his search, Peter finds out that a set of twins, Angel and Bud, have also been abducted. Little does he know that Angel and Bud have been taken to the Dollhouse, where they meet Olivia. The trio is forced to reenactment old photographs, but with some dangerous and gruesome added twists… *THIS BOOK WAS WILD👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻. But in the best way possible. I could not put it down and at one point found myself physically yelling at my kindle. This one will take you for a wild ride, buckle up folks.⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ All of the stars for this one.

Mind blown. Seriously, this is the best way to describe this book. I am still processing this book and all the twists, turns and just creepy things that happened. This book was such a quick read once I got into it and I didn’t want to put it down. It was absolutely thrilling from start to finish and the author did a great job with the characters, plot and all out disgusting, creepiness…and that’s a compliment!

This book was a page turner from beginning to end. This book was difficult to read but so well written. A kidnapping scheme to recreate a childhood that was not to the liking of the kidnapper - a chance at a do over. Yet this kidnapping scheme involves multiple children. Was often difficult to read about children in duress however it was well written and put together! I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

Trigger warning: Ableist language, abuse, alcoholism, blood/gore, bullying, death, drugs, kidnapping, mental illness, mice, suicide “She doesn’t look like a kidnapper” This is not an easy one to review. I have a lot to say about this book, however, I will try and keep it short-ish. We are following Angel and her twin brother Bud as they are abducted by a stranger. They are put in a basement or “the Dollhouse” as the abductor refers to it and are forced to reenact moments of the abductor’s childhood. Before I started this book I read previous reviews. They all talked about the cruelty of the story, which honestly just spiked my interest. Let me tell you, I was not disappointed. I am a big fan of books that make you feel uncomfortable and Sara Ennis delivered. In addition to the horrific atmosphere, however, Ennis put a lot of thought into the characters and their development as well (I especially enjoyed the multiple points of view presented in this novel). As a result, we have a truly unsettling book that makes the reader question his or her own morals in a way. I do agree with other reviewers that some of the decisions that were made seemed a little unrealistic, however, I try not to judge a character’s decisions just because I would have reacted differently. I had a little bit of a hard time at the beginning of the book, as I kept picturing the characters much younger than they actually were. This changed throughout the story and maybe this is another sign of character development that I just didn’t recognize as such at the time. I absolutely recommend this book to anyone that is looking for a very creepy and horrific read. Perfect for Halloween! **Thank you to Sara Ennis and NetGalley for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you for my early review copy. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I believe this book will be a huge bestseller.

This book is the definition of a psychological thriller. It was twisty, shocking, heart pounding, and there was some seriously messed up stuff happening. And did I mention that it was shocking? I never wanted to put it down because it felt like something was always about to happen. There’s not much more I can say about this book because I feel like it would be easy to give something away without even realizing it. That’s because it’s just so twisty! If you’re easily disturbed this is probably not the book for you. But if you’re a fan of gritty thrillers, I think you’ll like this one.

WOW!! What did I just read?!?! This was such a disturbingly intense dark thriller that I almost feel bad for loving it!! Almost. Suspense to the highest power! The characters were great, the story line chilling, creepy and not for the faint of heart. Literally had WTF moments where I had to reread what I had just read to make sure I read it correctly!! I am a new fan of Sara Ennis!

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review! The Dollhouse by Sara Ennis is a dark thriller that will appeal to readers who enjoyed The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchinson or the movie Room starring Brie Larson. The story revolves around 14 year-old twins Angel and Bud who are kidnapped by a woman named Jennifer and brought to a creepy place called "The Dollhouse." Jennifer has kidnapped them for a man named Alfred, who wants human Dolls to reenact photos in his collection. But these aren't just ordinary photos. Alfred has horrible memories associated with each photo, and the reenactments are getting worse and worse. Will the twins be able to survive the Dollhouse? Here is a chilling excerpt from Chapter 10, which occurs after Angel and Bud have been abducted: “Olivia already knows this so it doesn’t matter that she’s not here. I’ve put together a study guide for each of you. Each school day you will complete the tasks I assign. If you don’t there will be consequences. There are always consequences, that’s something you should learn sooner rather than later.” Jennifer raised her eyebrows to emphasize the importance of what she was saying. “You’ll stay in the Closet during the day, which is why breakfast is important. Also, don’t drink too much at breakfast as you won’t have access to the bathroom until I come down later.” Jennifer explained calmly. She went to the bookcase and pulled out a stack of books and supplies and handed them to Angel. She pulled another pile for Bud. “You’ll be cuffed, but of course the light will be on.” ... “All right, Dolls. We will see each other again in a few hours. Get to know one another. But don’t get any ideas... there is no way out, and as Olivia can tell you, every action has consequences. If that’s the only thing you learn today, learn it well: Consequences can be painful.” Overall, The Dollhouse is a captivating thriller that you won't be able to put down. There is a lot of action and terror in the book that starts on the very first page and never lets up. Also, there is even a twist at the end that I did not see coming. It will appeal to fans of Karin Slaughter or the movie Room. Just like those movies, I found the subject matter to be very dark and too horrifying for my taste. I thought I knew what I was going to read based on the synopsis, but the torture and the abuse depicted was too much for me. I took off 1 star, because I did not enjoy the book for the reasons above. I understand though that there are many readers who will enjoy this type of book though. If you're intrigued by the excerpt above, or if you're a fan of dark thrillers, you can check out this book, which is available now!

This book was so good! It was fast paced and you just wanted to know what was going to happen next! The young kids were so brave and you had such empathy for them no they were characters that made you proud. I knew in the story that Alfred had psychological issues, but i did not expect him to be all of those personalities!! It blew my mind. I’m so glad the kids were found and I’m psyched for the sequel to this book and hear more about Angel’s road to self discovery and recovery!

Thank you Netgalley and Author Sara Ennis for this ARC. This book surprised me in many ways. I'm not a fan of detective books, but this book did not focus on that aspect. Instead, it focused on the crime itself--a disturbed man with tumultuous past kidnapping young, blonde girls and making them into living dolls. Yes, he's psychotic, wicked, depraved--a damn well written villain. I wanted--no, needed him dead. Because the story focused on Alfred and his victims, aside from my hatred for him, I built an emotional bond with the kids: Olivia, Bud, and Angel. Their ordeal was twisted and sickening. I so wanted them to get out, get away, and move on. Superb writing. Marvelous characters. Electrifying story.

This book is one of the most disturbing books I've read in a very long time. The characters of Olivia, Angel and Bud were amazingly written and It was like I felt everything that the felt. I cried for ages after Bus was killed because of how graphic it was. I didn't see the ending coming at all and the part where we found out that Alfred, Jennifer and Edward were all the same person was unexpected and a good plot twist. I felt like the pregnancy and baby storyline at the end was completely unnecessary, I don't know why it was written in as it didn't really add anything to the plot. Especially because it was so rushed and was built up poorly. Overall I don't know if I would say that I enjoyed this books as it was so disturbing and graphic but it was an interesting and fast paced read that left me on the edge of my seat.

This is a new-to-me author, and when I read the synopsis I thought it sounded unique and very intriguing. The story took some time to really get started, but once it did the pages just flew by. While there wasn't any real character development, they were interesting enough - especially Peter Baden. I will say that I found one of the 'Dolls' - Angel - to be very inconsistent, to the point of being almost unlikable. Alfred, the main 'villain', was mostly what you would expect, and I would have liked a bit more of his background to fully understand why he needed the Dolls so badly. There were some glimpses, but I felt like the author could have gone further into his story. Regardless, I did enjoy the story and it would make a great 'beach read'.

A good read. Definitely a brilliant psychological thriller. It was so dark, disturbing yet still engaging and overflowing with twists. It was such a page turner as well because I just wanted to know what was going to happen next. I'm glad I was able to add this in my library. If you want to know what a psychological thriller is, grab this book and give it a read - you'll be flipping through the pages in no time. Thank you #NetGalley, #SaraEnnis for a digital advanced reader's copy of this book in exchange for a genuine review.

This was a quick dark and TWISTED read! It really pushed me as I tend to lean a little bit more to thriller than horror but wanted to give it a try and it was a very creative and unique plot. I tend to prefer books with shorter chapters when they are heavier so this hit the mark well for pacing for me. I could not wait to see what happened and how far he would take them in his twisted world! While I won't recommend it to everyone because it's chilling-I already have a few friends in mind especially those who enjoy the Saw movies and a good scare that will love to get their hands on this fast paced ride!

Thank you Netgalley for the copy of Sara Ennius' debut novel. Read this one if you... ⭐️Love a creepy, dark and twisty read! ⭐️Are looking for a can't-put-down, emotional psychological thriller. ⭐️Want something that will give you ALL of the feels - Terrified, angry, sad, happy. The best part about loving this novel is that the next book in this SERIES is set to release later this year - I can't wait to read it!

Thank you Sara Ennis, NG and Publisher for this advanced ebook copy! The Dollhouse by Sara was everything I could have hoped for! This tense, taut thriller will pull you along with it right to the last page. Creepy, tense and pacy enough to get your heart racing. But have you turning the pages quickly. Sara test the characters, and take the readers on a roller coaster ride that will leave them on the edge of their seats. A cleverly crafted and structured novel that leads the reader in one direction only to suddenly change course with the introduction of new information! I freaking enjoyed the heck outta this book! I can't thank y'all enough for this outstanding novel!

Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free, electronic ARC of this novel received in exchange for an honest review. Fans of “Room” and “You” will fall in love with Sara Ennis’ newest work, “The Dollhouse”. One year ago, Peter Baden’s teenage daughter, Olivia, disappeared. In order to cope with her loss, Peter uses his wealth to establish a foundation, through which he helps other parents who have had children taken from them. When he hears about a mother whose young twins were taken from their home, Peter can’t help but see the similarities between the twins and Olivia- all are similar in appearance, age, and size, and both had been featured on TV months before their abduction. Peter knows that he must do whatever it takes to determine if there’s a connection, and to try and bring his daughter home alive. “The Dollhouse” is a horrifying stalker/kidnapper novel that seeps into your bones and will keep you up at night. To think this is only Ennis’ second novel is astounding, as her writing talent in “Dollhouse” seems far more worthy of a much more published author. The novel is told from the perspectives of the kidnapped children, especially Angel, the kidnapper and Peter, and from different time periods within a year from when the children were taken to present day. Each very short and compulsively readable chapter is easily labeled with the date, making the plot easy to follow. The plot itself was unique and creative, and Ennis added a few of her own original details to the “kidnapped child” storyline that pulled me right in. Albert was terrifying as the character of the abductor (no spoilers here, the kidnapper is revealed right from the beginning) and his twisted family background was heartbreaking, leaving its mark in such an indelible way. When the twist came around, it was not a new or novel twist, and has been done in several novels of its type before, but it was certainly unexpected! The twist came out of thin air, and I completely wasn’t expecting it, but it tightened all the loose ends remaining and brought the ‘psychological suspense’ of the novel to the forefront. This novel may not be for everyone (what novel is) but it was definitely my kind of read. Captivating, heartbreaking and entertaining, “The Dollhouse” is one of those novels that will completely take you by surprise- in the best possible way.

I really enjoyed this book, it was creepy and twisty, with just the right pacing. I thought the characters were well done too.

Holy HELL! That was a dark & creepy book! This one isn't an easy review with it's disturbing content but I rated it 4⭐high because I couldn't put it down. A psycho who kidnaps young teens who are blonde with blue eyes so that he can reenact his past.

The Dollhouse by Sara Ennis was an interesting psychological thriller. I did almost give up 50% through because the child abuse was getting to be a bit much. I am not a parent but this book could cause parents nightmares if they thought too hard about how horrible some people are in this world. If you are looking for a book that will make you uncomfortable, this book is for you. If you are easily triggered, you may want to read something else. This is not easy to review because I do not want to give anything away. Angel and Bud are abducted by a stranger and place in a basement that the abductor referred to as "The Dollhouse" They are forced to reenact pictures from the abductors childhood. Some parts of the book were a bit unrealistic. In some ways this book is like a car wreck on the side of the road, you don't want to look but you do anyway. There is going to be at least a second book with Angel as a character and I am guess some of the others will also play a part. As sick as I thought this book was, I am interested in reading more about Angel. The story was well written and really does grab your attention. I think I will remember this book for a good long while. Thank you to NetGalley for an advanced copy for an honest review.

“The Dollhouse” was a wonderful story that had me watching my back. The different perspectives were all thought out and offered different levels of thrill. You never know how the story is going to progress and I truly appreciated the feeling of being on my toes. I couldn’t put it down

Mind-blowing physiological suspense thriller that draws the reader in from the start !! We follow 14-year-old Angel and her twin brother Bud who were abducted by a total stranger. They are held captive in the basement or later referred to as the Dollhouse by their kidnapper. Bud and Angel together with Olivia another captive teenager are forced to reenact memories in the abductor's childhood. This truly dark, uncomfortable, and creepy read is not for the faint heart, full of twists and turns, this book will keep you on your toes throughout. The characters feel so real and I felt I could connect with them. Sara Ennis has a great way of making them real and making their emotions and reactions something you can relate to easily. Highly recommended for lovers of psychological suspense thrillers. Thank you, NetGalley and Sara Ennis for this opportunity to read this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

💭 Overall Thoughts: I could not put this book down! Every page was some new twist or turn. It held my attention and kept me guessing every minute! The twists were very unexpected! Definitely a great page turner! What I Liked: 👍🏻 I enjoy books where I am able to guess some parts. I shouted “I KNEW IT” and then was subsequently shocked with the next big reveal 👍🏻 The chapters are short and quick to get through, leaving you wanting to read just one more 👍🏻 I had to reread some parts because I was thinking “HOLY CRAP WHAT JUST HAPPENED” What I Didn’t Like: 👎🏻 There was one part that was a little graphic for my taste where Alfred explains one of the photos of his sister

A very dark, twisted and sickening story that had my attention at every page. It is more of a difficult read with the abuse and everything the main characters(kids) had to go through. That being said, I thought the author did a great job with the story and character development. You develop an emotional bond with the kids and are rooting for them to the very end!!

The Dollhouse by Sara Ennis is a psychological thriller. The main protagonist is Angel, a 14-year girl who has been kidnapped along with her twin brother, Bud. They are brought to the “Dollhouse” where they are trapped alongside another girl, Olivia. In the dollhouse, they are forced to be living dolls and recreate scenes from our villain, Alfred’s, childhood. It becomes clear that Alfred hates his family, particularly his sister, and the recreations are a way for him to in his mind, “fix” what happened to him as a child. Alfred has a temper and when something doesn’t go exactly as he has planned he takes it out of the “dolls.” The resulting story is a dark, twisted tale of the children trying to survive while also trying to escape. First off, this is not going to be a book for everyone. It gets pretty dark and the main trigger warnings are child abuse and torture, but there is also some intense language. I really enjoyed this book. So much so that I finished it in two days. I found the pace to be nice and quick, and I did not want to stop turning the page or put the book down. I loved the main twist of the book and did not see it coming at all. I even went back and re-read that part to make sure I had it right. I also liked that the author was not afraid to kill people off. I feel like a lot of times an author will want that neat little bow with a happy ending and will be hesitant to get rid of a character so I like that this story didn’t do that. I did find that sometimes the dialogue and the kid’s response to some of the torture inflicted on them was a bit unrealistic. I would have expected them to be a lot more traumatized than they are portrayed to be in the book. That being said it does not take away from the story. I was kind of surprised when the end was the end. I wanted just a little bit more of what happened to the villain and more of what unfolded in the aftermath for the victims. I could see that the author was setting up for a sequel by not revealing too much. I will be very interested to see what happens to Angel in the sequel. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it. The story reminded me of something I would watch on Criminal Minds and if you’re a fan of crime shows or even just a well-told story then this book is something you will probably enjoy.

Thank you to Netgalley and author Sara Ennis for the electronic copy in exchange for an honest review. I flew through this book in 48 hours! You are pulled into the story very quickly, which I love. Really helps the suspense build right from the get go. The story follows a few different characters. Angel and Bud are 14 year old twin sister and brother who come from a less than ideal background with a father in jail and a mother who's not exactly mother of the year. When their mother decides to leave the twins alone for a long weekend of her own fun, the twins find themselves kidnapped and taken to a place known as The Dollhouse. As the new 'dolls' Angel and Bud are forced to recreate their captor Alfred's old photographs. But Alfred is hard to please, with a hot temper and a twisted sense of humor. Peter Baden, a respected journalist, has been away from his work for over a year as he uses his high amount of inherited funds to search for his own missing daughter, Olivia, as well as to help those who have little means themselves to search for their missing children. When his hard work begins to pay off, he catches a couple a similarities between Olivia's disappearance and the twins. Similarities that may lead him to finding his daughter after all this time. Through pain and torment, both physical and mental, you get to see Angel and Bud transform themselves from innocent children into smart, strong young adults with a growing will to survive. This book kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. The twins never know what kind of mood Alfred will be in every time he visits. Will he be friendly and cooperative or will he snap at the slightest sign of noncompliance? Get a view into the mind of a mad man and discover what he, as a person, has gone through in his past to make him into the monster he is today. A great thriller. Truly enrapturing. Perfect for anyone looking for a suspenseful spooky season read!

This book gives such chilling creepy vibes. A great thriller and I absolutely loved it. Horror fans will love this one as well as it gave me such horror vibes.

The perfect combination of thriller and horror. I was totally wrapped up in this story and stayed up way too late finishing this. Highly recommend.

Wow! Dark horrific story of three children kidnapped and held in the basement of an unhinged man. When Bud and Angel are drugged, kidnapped and suddenly awaken trapped in a basement with another young woman, the siblings are desperate to escape. As the abuse and torture of the three children escalate, they are determined to escape as they find out the madman who took them are planning to add another child to their “dollhouse.” Truly scary story that doesn’t let up after the first page. Highly recommend.

Incredibly suspenseful, a total roller coaster ride of heart pounding tension, I loved this book, and finished it over a weekend, ignoring all other chores. I am so looking forward to reading Angel’s next chapter in her life.

If you like Criminal Minds, you will LOVE this book. I really liked all the different points of view from the different characters and how they all come together. I may have watched too many crime shows, as I could predict one of the twists in advance, but definitely didn’t guess all of them. There is some things in the book that if you’re sensitive, this may be hard for you to read, but I really enjoyed it.

This is a very odd & haunting book that involves kidnapping of 2 children from an inattentive mother. Two children, a brother & sister, are kidnapped and taken to what the lady calls "The Dollhouse". If you are looking for creepy and a little on the odd side, then this is the book for you!

Overall, I highly recommend 'The Dollhouse,' by Sara Ennis. It is a stay-up-late-to-finish page-turner! The story is well crafted, paced, and plotted. The premise is creepy and unique. We get to see inside the mind of a truly demented individual and learn the why behind his motivations. (And, while heinous things occur, it is not as graphic as it could be - and, for a book involving children, I appreciate that). It is easy to root for the abducted, in that they are innocent children, and the writing is done in a conversational way that would be perfectly in line with how adolescents would think and behave. The twist was fantastic! So, why four instead of five stars? Because it is good, but the writing is not exquisite. For a psychological thriller that keeps you interested it is definitely good enough but not the well honed literary prose of a master. Also, I did not like the very, very ending. The way the story wraps up is great. Don't worry! As a reader the ending is handled well. My gripe is the last chapter that sets up the main character for a sequel. It just does not seem necessary and after everything she has gone through I do not want her to go into another dark traumatic place. The afterword gives insight in to the next book and it too sounds interesting. I just do not think it needed a character from this book to make it happen. I would prefer if the book (and next) were stand alone. Thank you @Netgalley for early access to this ARC in return for an unbiased and voluntary review

I was amazed by this book, the premise drew me in immediately, the character development was divine, the plot was chilling, and the antagonist was horrifying. There's a pretty major twist to in this that will have your jaw drop to the floor. I highly recommend this book to anyone that is a Stephen King lover but wants a little more realism in their reads. Three beautiful teenagers: Bud, Angel, and Olivia are being held captive in "The Dollhouse." Their captor Alfred has a dark sense of humor and a knack for torture that comes in burst that they can't expect. Teaming together, the children try to navigate through their new "normal." On the other side of this journey are their parents trying to survive the most unthinkable pain of a child being taken. Peter, Olivia's father, is spreading his resources far and wide to try and find out what connects these missing children. Never giving up hope, he tries to find a break in the case while also comforting the other parents through their process. I was amazed with this book, just amazed. A few of the instances will make you cringe and feel extreme discomfort but the story is definitely one I enjoyed reading. If you want a good October read, I can't recommend this enough. Thank you Sara Ennis and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review. Goodreads review link: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/4258749373 Blog link: https://www.instagram.com/whataginger.reads/