Cover Image: Meet Me in Madrid - PREVIEW

Meet Me in Madrid - PREVIEW

I really enjoyed this preview of Meet Me in Madrid, by Verity Lowell. This story would be perfect for readers who enjoy snowed-in, sapphic romance. I appreciated the complex and thoughtful conversations about challenges BIPOC women unfairly face in academia. I thought Charlotte’s job was so interesting! Lowell’s writing is crisp and decisive. This preview of Meet Me in Madrid was fast-paced and steamy; I’m excited to continue the story! Meet Me in Madrid is available now. Thank you to Verity Lowell, Harlequin Carina Press, and Netgalley for a free preview in exchange for honest feedback.
This was a preview: I enjoyed what I read so far. I thought it was so fun and a cute read. I definitely would read more.
This story had me hooked from the beginning. It was well-written, and steamier than expected, but with strong writing and a great character development overall, I really enjoyed this book.
Disclaimer: This review and rating is based on a four-chapter preview provided by NetGalley

This preview was really good, both characters are well written as it is the setting, I really liked that this is a diverse book especially with the two main POC characters (Charlotte Hilaire and Adrianna Coates). As for the rest, the premise sounds really good and got me intrigued but I thought that they got together really fast and I can't help but wonder what will happen next for their relationship? I mean will they break-up or there will be some sort of drama with their relationship being tested?

I mean this is supposed to be a contemporary rom-com but when the characters get together at the beginning of any book, it can't be a good thing.... but alas, I'm still looking forward to reading the rest and seeing where it's gonna happen next for them (both at the romantically and professional aspects of their lives.)
2 stars, 2.5 spice

This is a shame- I received the first 4 chapters as a preview on Netgalley and rated those 4 stars. I was intrigued in the beginning and I thought this had such potential. Compared to other Contemporary romances its quite diverse, with ethnicity, having adult main characters (30s & 40s vs most being like 18-25 in everything else I read), focusing around women who are career focused, and having almost every character being part of the LGBTQ+ Community.
I decided the first 4 chapters hooked me enough to continue with the story and was able to get it digitally on Libby.

It is clear the author has a strong knowledge of both the arts and academia (at least it seems that way, because frankly some of it was a lot to follow, and I ended up skimming).

Simply put I was bored, but if you want a detailed list of why I am giving a rare 2 stars;

CONFLICTS THAT SIMPLY WERENT CONFLICTS -
The secondary conflicts seem to resolve themselves quickly without much issue (most times within a page or two). And then the main conflict shouldn't have even been a conflict if they had just openly communicated.

LACK OF CHARACTER AND RELATIONSHIP DEVELOPMENT -
There wasn't much tension, and I lacked connection to the characters because the few times we saw them together they were 'doing it'. Which is great and all, but the moments when they were supposedly getting to know each other and falling in love were via text/call/facetime in the months they were separated and as the reader we saw none of that. I honesty can't remember anything specific about either of their personalities apart from them working a lot and being queer POC.

POV -
3rd person omniscient has to be my least favorite POV, especially for Romance. There were many instances when I got confused and had to reread sections because I wasn't sure which woman we were referring to. And even though we got to see their feelings at all times it was never as thoughts and it was never deep so I lacked that connection.
I would have like 3rd person limited better and maybe switched back and forth . Or better yet doing first person and switching depending on the chapter would have been best. It would have helped build tension and would have allowed us to see more in depth to the character's thoughts and behaviors.
Because it was 3rd person omniscient I never felt like I was missing a character. which in a book that is covering a long distance relationship we needed to feel that distance in order to feel for the characters
I have to be really honest with this one. Sorry to say, I didn't find any reason to find a copy of this book and read the entire book. There is nothing in the chapters I have read that really made me want to continue on. Maybe it would get better, but I don't want to waste so much time with a book that doesn't capture me in the first few pages.
It sounds harsh but Meet Me in Madrid has to be one of the most boring books I’ve read recently. I don’t know what it was about it, but I started skimming within a few chapters of the start, and I simply couldn’t bring myself to care one bit about the characters.
This isn’t a bad book! For another person, perhaps none of it would have mattered and they’d have enjoyed it a lot more. For me? Well. It was a death knell.
I just didnt enjoy the writing style...

Thank you NetGalley for the preview of this book!

I'm surprised to admit I found myself enjoying these few chapters more than i thought i would per blurb only. It introduced well enough with descriptions the setting and the main characters. I loved as well how it addressed issues like racism in such a tactful way. Even though it was just a teaser it left wanting for more, I will definitely be checking out the rest when it comes out, so excited for this one!
Sped through the preview and can hardly wait to get my hands on the full book next week! So far, Charlotte and Adrianna both seem like such strong characters, I'm excited to see where the story takes them.
Huge thank you to Netgalley for the preview of Meet Me in Madrid. The characters were charming and mature and it tackles important discussions on race and sexism. The first four chapters were a delight and had me hooked. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the book!
From this preview I can't wait to read it. Will be the perfect when i'll be in need of travelling plus it seems soooo cute
I was only able to read the preview, which contained four chapters. Will I be interested in reading more? Not really. For me, the setting of a book is very important. The first four chapters I read are set in Madrid, yet I was not able to envision what the city looks like because the author was focused on the main characters. For a book titled 'meet me in Madrid', I would have expected more information on the setting. Maybe it comes later on in the book though, who knows?
I’m all for a romance novel centering around second chances and this story revolves around Charlotte and Adrianna, two queer women of color who met during their PhD program. When Charlotte, now a museum curator, is snowed in while on a business trip to Madrid, she calls upon her old acquaintance who is currently in Spain for a fellowship. In the chapters included in this preview, we were given a reunion filled with tension, intelligent discussions about racism and sexism, and more! A faced-paced story with strong and mature characters, I’m excited to read more when this book is released!
I was gifted a preview of this book in exchange for my honest review! Four chapters isn't quite enough to know for sure whether or not I'd have liked the book as a whole, but it gave me an idea of how the rest of the book would go. I wouldn't say this is a bad book by any standard, it was just a little bland. I was bored just reading the four chapters so I can only imagine how I would've felt reading the entire thing!
The preview was more than enough to convince me that I need to read this book asap. The premise is brillant. The f/f representation is *chef's kiss.*
Thank you Netgalley for the preview of this book. I was instantly hooked by the description of MMIM and knew it was right up my alley. The first four chapters have me hooked and highly anticipating the remainder of the book.

The first four chapters of this book give us a glance into the lives of Adrianna and Charlotte as the reunite during a snow storm in Spain. Already this sapphic romance has gotten steamy and discussed hard-hitting, real life topics such as racism, sexism, and homophobia in academia.
This could not hold my interest so I’m glad that these first 4 chapters were read now.

Now I know this is not the book for me.
Thank you NetGalley for the preview of this book.
It was definitely not for me, when I saw the cover and the title I was very hooked and I was sure I would like it, but when I started reading I was slowly disconnecting with the story because the way the story is written I didn't like it, it seemed to me that in some scenes the descriptions were too much but if we leave that out I would have to say that the concept of the book seems interesting to me, if it was handled in a simpler way I think I would love it.

As I said, I really liked the concept of the book, especially the representation of the main characters, but something I didn't like was how already in the beginning of the book started "the connection" of these same, and I would have liked to see a little more development between them.
Maybe it wasn't for me but it doesn't take away from the merit that other people will surely enjoy it a lot.
Thank you NetGalley for providing me with a preview of this book! I'm honestly not entirely sure of my thoughts on this one. It focuses on Charlotte and Adrianna, who knew each other in grad school, and how they reunite in Spain when they're a bit older. I thought it was interesting and I loved the representation included, but the writing style seemed a bit off to me. It seemed overly sexual in regards to the two main characters and was very fast-paced with the relationship. I wish we would have seen more growth towards their relationship because it seemed very forward without much to back it up.

I love sapphic romances, but this one doesn't seem like the one for me. However, it wasn't bad, which is why I'm giving it three stars. I feel like some readers will enjoy it, it just wasn't my thing. Don't let this stop you from reading it though - especially if you like sapphic romances and fast-paced reads.
Those first four chapters were very nice, especially the fourth one. I really appreciated my reading! For readers who like fast-paced books, this one will be perfect for you. That's maybe the only point which I didn't like: it was a bit too fast-paced for me, but it does immerse the readers directly.

The story starts with Charlotte's point of view, then progressively shifts to Adrianna's. Both women are very different: While Adrianna is bold, has strong ideas and lived many experiences, Charlotte is, as Adrianna puts it, more 'demure' and less experienced. She is calm, well-organised, but a bit lost when it comes to her feelings. As you can tell from the blurb, they are both queer women.

Queerness is brought up already many times in those first chapters, which is quite nice because readers can directly dive into one of the main subjects of this novel. Alongside this theme, homophobia is obviously mentioned through the experiences of both scholars. Adrianna and Charlotte often have discussions about some homophobic encounters and comments they were victims of during their years at University. They also discuss oftentimes how they felt marginalised, or at least not in line with others ideas, and of the fact that many people/students around them at this time weren't queer, or not out yet.

Also, racism is mentioned many times in the beginning. Adrianna identifies as Creole and queer, while Charlotte identifies as a woman of colour and queer. It is very interesting to read that, though Charlotte is a woman of colour (it is said she has olive skin), people around her, and one teacher especially, do not perceive her as such and refuse to identify her as POC.

So yes, on the whole, I think it is a promising story, very romantic and very insightful on POC and BIPOC communities! My heart was full of love after reading this preview! The sexual tension between the two protagonists was very present, which added to the suspense and the need to know more! Also, as both are avid travellers, it was nice to have a glimpse of different cultures, especially the two I knew most of, the French and Spanish cultures. It added more dimensions to the story and contributed to a real exchange between Adrianna and Charlotte. I really liked that!

Thank you Netgalley and Carina Press for the preview of Meet me in Madrid.