Cover Image: Just Another Liar

Just Another Liar

Thank you to NetGalley & Mandy Byatt for allowing me to read this ARC in exchange for an honest review.  I was giving up hope that all mystery/thrillers were no longer my cup of tea.  However, I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this book.  Three women caught up with David Kingfisher met on an online dating site.  Three women duped and then ghosted by him.  Lots of red herrings who he could be.  I was totally taken off guard by the reveal.  The ending left me a little confused, but that doesn't detract from the twists and turns leading up to the ending.  Sometimes the writing was repetitive, such as the "tears caught in the back of her throat", but I still enjoyed the story overall.
Wow, just when I thought I was getting bored of thrillers! This one kept me hooked the entire way through.

At times, I even found myself feeling sick with fear and anxiety and rushing to find out what was going to happen.

When a book gives you flutters you know it’s a good book!

Highly recommend this thriller (coming from someone whose getting fed up with them being the same!) this one is very different and hits the spots.
It started well and i liked the ending but have to say the middle part annoyed me.  There was quite a bit of repetition and the female characters were weak and very frustrating
What a twisty, twisted story this is! I was a little worried that it would have a YA/Chick-Lit vibe, but thankfully, it didn’t. If the shows “Web Of Lies” and “Catfish” combined, you’d come out with something pretty close to this book (and I like both those shows, so that’s a bonus for me).

Three women have met the same person on dating apps, a man named David Kingfisher. These three women seem to have nothing in common except him. Anna is a gorgeous woman, a thin and tanned school teacher who men can’t resist. Denise is more dowdy, an overweight bookkeeper who takes care of her ailing mother. Petra is an emaciated alcoholic, an anxious wreck trying desperately to save her marriage. All three of them are totally taken by this handsome surgeon giving them online attention.

After they are all stood up and ghosted multiple times by Dave, they find out about each other, and get together to get even. This man lied to them, took money from them, embarrassed them all … they have to find out who he is. All three women have different motives for finding David, but they will find him, one way or another.

I’m still deciding if I liked the ending of this. It wasn’t anything that I saw coming, but it also didn’t shock me. The story is really good, and a quick and easy read. I’m giving it 3.5 stars, rounded up because this is a debut novel and I think this author has it! Hopefully we’ll see more from her soon.

(Thank you to Avon Books UK, Mandy Byatt, and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my review.)
I appreciate a book can start off slow but unfortunately this was the case with 80% of this book and if I'm honest I didn't start enjoying it until the last 20% where things finally ramped up, which in my opinion isn't good enough. Although I felt sympathy with a couple of the characters and their situations, the majority of them were pretty unlikable and it was hard to really connect with any of them. Although I did think the ending was good and many elements I didn't see coming and were quite clever, it wasn't worth getting through the underwhelming majority of the novel.
Three women, all with things missing in their lives, turn to the Internet for romance. One has an alcohol problem and insecurities about her lack of a child, one can't get over her ex and one is overweight and a carer for her mum, hitting rock bottom when she sleeps with her elderly mother's boyfriend! They all fall for the same man, David Kingfisher, but who is he - and can they smoke him out if they join forces? A pacey thriller, well-written and intelligent.
3-star read
Denise, Petra & Anna have met David Kingfisher online – they have all chatted with him, exchanged messages and some photos, and some money too – thus begins the hunt for David Kingfisher, where past secrets are revealed.
This was a good read, fast paced after you get the hang of all the characters, and then their family members names – I found it a bit difficult to remember all the names initially!
A terrific story line, and while it was a slow burn to begin with it picked up pace at the end with a finale that completely surprised me. It was gripping with lots of twist and kept me turning the pages long into the night. This is one I would recommend if you are delving into the online dating scene, it could be very useful!
Thank you to Harper Collins and NetGalley for this early reading copy.
This is a good story with an interesting twist on the perils of internet dating and pretending to be someone that you are not.

Three very different women fall for a handsome man online who woos them and makes them feel adored and special. None of them meet him in person, however two hand over large quantities of money and one sends revealing photos of herself. The women are very different and the reasons they are looking for love are different too and yet they eventually meet and decide to find the man who has deceived them.

There are a few twists and turns with each of the women having their own story as well as the main one. The more we hear we see they are interwoven and the climax of the book was quite shocking.

Good thriller and an interesting read. Thanks to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Actual rating 3.5⭐️

It is the eye catching cover of debut novelist Mandy Byatt’s Just Another Liar that first captured my attention. As a huge fan of Adele Parks and Louise Jensen, both queens of psychological, suspenseful fiction I couldn’t wait to get stuck into this one whose premise sounds intriguing as well as entertaining. Finding love is tricky and with so many turning to online dating to find their perfect match, it is the potential pitfalls of meeting The One via the internet that seems to be a favoured topic amongst some authors of this genre. How can you tell whether the person you are chatting to is genuine or not? Well, Mandy Byatt’s three main female characters are on the brink of discovering the answer to that question and in doing so end up becoming amateur sleuths, involved in an investigation that goes beyond determining the true identity of this online Casanova.

I don’t think I’d ever be brave enough to meet someone online unlike Denise, Anna and Petra who are all desperately seeking love and affection. Doctor David Kingfisher is the man who fits the bill and whilst it’s glaringly obvious to the reader he’s playing them all, these three made vulnerable by loneliness and rejection choose to ignore all the red flags waving in front of their eyes…at their peril! Why do so many women do this, turn a blind eye rather than face the harsh truth? Well, as we all know love can make fools of us all, any sense of rationale flying out the window once the prospect of a happy ever after glitters tantalisingly on the horizon. As the author reveals snapshots of each woman’s current circumstances, interspersed occasionally with the voice of the liar the storyline becomes less of a psychological thriller and more like an amateur detective novel before switching back into a narrative where there’s a twist around every corner.

Whilst Mandy Byatt may not be in the same league as the likes of the two authors I mentioned in the opening of my review, elements of her debut show promise. She doesn’t in my opinion possess the sophisticated style of writing to make this a first class, suspenseful read but I still devoured this book in no time at all, tripping over the words in my haste to reach the big reveal. How unexpected or how believable the twists are, or whether I manage to piece the clues together correctly very early on will naturally define how I rate a novel and I honestly didn’t see the major one coming at all. Yes, maybe it’s a trifle convoluted but as truths tumble from lips I wasn’t rolling my eyes in exasperation (which is always a good sign), until the end when perhaps my eyebrows were given cause to rise in disbelief. Given the serious nature of the underlying subject matter which sadly isn’t confined to fiction I would have expected the author to elicit far more sympathy from myself towards these three gullible women than she did. With their hearts and minds fragile, ideal sitting targets for all those unscrupulous individuals out there, it is only for Denise that I could summon up the requisite amount of pity and compassion. She’s by far the most likeable out of this trio. Anna and Petra are more complex individuals who just left me cold and unmoved so that I couldn’t fully commiserate with the predicament they find themselves in. Generally I think there’s room for improvement in terms of character development with some characterisation on the sketchy side. Unfortunately I’m afraid the author will upset some readers with one particular scene involving a beloved pet; even though I don’t allow scenarios like these to cloud my judgement I don’t think its inclusion is  necessary.

I enjoyed this debut but with a premise that isn’t original will it stand out in what is a very overcrowded market? I’m kind of sitting on the fence with this one hence my 3.5 ⭐️ rating. On the one hand I feel perhaps I’m not being generous enough given my surprise at the unexpected turn of events and the ease with which I read the contents but on the other hand it’s missing the taut, tense, deeply psychological element I was so looking forward to. Overall a good effort.

If you’re interested to read more about the reality of romance fraud here is a link to an article I read shortly after finishing the novel.

My thanks as always to the publisher and Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read in exchange for an honest review.
A great twisty psychological thriller that will keep you guessing.

Three very different women are all dating the same man.  They all met him on line, via a dating website but none of them have ever met him.  But he’s a doctor so his emergencies are forgiven and surely a doctor wouldn’t be lying to them all.

The three women, Denise, Petra and Anna couldn’t be more different. They each have their own problems and their new online boyfriend seems to be the answer to all their problems - but is he ?  Will any of them get their happy ever after ?

A great twisty psychological thriller that will keep you guessing who the doctor really is.  I didn’t particularly warm to any of the characters but I still really enjoyed the book and would recommend to anyone who loved a good twisty whodunnit style book.

Thank you to Avon Books UK and NetGalley for a digital copy of this book.
I really wanted to enjoy this book but unfortunately I just couldn't connect with it or its characters. I did enjoy the authors style and based on that, I would like to have another go at reading her future work..

This review will not be posted on any retail sites
This was a different read, for sure. The premise was interesting and it was hard to put down. The characters were unique and meshed well. The ending was not my favorite and left me a bit confused.
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you NetGalley and Avon Books for an early copy of Just Another Liar.  Great read, I felt bad for two of the characters.  The ending was horrible. I was confused at the one part where everyone got a phone call and the last paragraph but otherwise, it was enjoyable.  Give it a go and maybe someone can explain those two parts to me.
Did he die???? What a horrible ending, what happened? I really liked the plot and characters of the book but not the ending. Sooooo many twists and turns, soooo good then the bad ending.  Thank you NetGalley and Avon Books for an early copy of Just Another Liar.
I have just finished reading Just Another Liar by Many Byatt and what a page turner it was.  A brilliant debut novel..

It keeps you guessing all the way through.  I enjoyed all the characters who were all very realistic.  The ending for me was just a little off, I think I would have liked it to have been sewn up.  I have a feeling this is just me..

Wishing Mandy Byatt every success .with this novel on publication day.

I would like to thank Net Galley and  Avon for a copy of this ARC for which I have given my voluntary and unbiased review.
This was a really great well written thriller. It held me gripped throughout . The pace of the narration and the writing style were  excellent., All the characters, whilst not very likeable jumped out of the page and you could feel their desperation and sadness.   My only negative comment was the abruptness of the ending. I would recommend to anyone who enjoys an edgy thriller. Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for giving me access to an early copy.  I will definitely read more by this author..
David Kingfisher is an attractive surgeon on an internet dating site!  That should have been the first red flag to Anna, Denise and Petra (who have all obviously not watched Catfish)

Without giving too much away they all think they are dating David even though they have only seen photographs and spoke to him on the phone as he always cancels their dates.   Finding out about each other they join up to find and meet him ... is he just another liar?

I liked the way this was written  there were lots of characters in play who all brought something to the story.  I did expect a curve ball at the end but I didn't guess it and the build up to the reveal kept you interested and wanting to read more.

All in all a good book to start the New Year and I look forward to reading more from the author.

Thank you to Netgalley and Avon Books for the ARC</p>
A deep dark dive into the murky world of online dating that will leave you wanting more... for me, literally.

Dr David Kingfisher- the gorgeous paediatrician has Anna, Denise and Petra falling for him before they’ve even met him. We hear from Anna, Denise and Petra’s POV - they all have their own reasons for online dating; revenge, loneliness, excitement...

Several weeks, and several thousand pounds later, the women smell a rat and team up to find the dreamy doc... with deadly consequences. As they say, “He’ll hath no fury like a woman scorned”.

I must be honest that I’ve never online dated AND I’m the world’s greatest cynic so from the outset I struggled to relate to any of the characters falling in love with ‘David’ and it didn’t get more believable from there for me. The ending- although a surprise- left me cold and felt unfinished. There was an unnecessary killing at the end which I really didn’t like and still don’t understand!

If you like a quick, ‘chick lit’ thriller this will be right up your street. For me, although a page turner, it lacked credibility.

Thank you to NetGalley and Avon Books for the eARC in exchange for a review. Just Another Liar will be available from wherever you buy your books on 20th January 2022 📆

Reading Time: 1 day (2 hours, 15 minutes)
I could not put this book down, it was so tense and gripping towards the end! And I NEVER saw that ending coming! A cleverly written story of 3 women, duped by a handsome online con man. David Kingfisher (surgeon, skiier, total romantic) seems too good to be true when 3 women, lonely and in need of affection, receive messages from him on a dating site. The plot thickens as it becomes apparent that they're all being strung along and never actually meet him. Once the women try to track him down, their inner secrets and insecurities bubble up and it isn't clear who they can trust. I loved the different female characters, all with relatable qualities and character flaws, and the absolute nail-biting ending. Definitely a writer to look out for.