Cover Image: The Mirror Man

The Mirror Man

Lars Kepler brings action, suspense, and heart-wrenching moments to The Mirror Man , the eighth novel in the Joona Linna Killer Instinct series. This is an unforgettable police procedural and crime thriller set in Sweden. Lars Kepler is the pseudonym for the husband and wife writing team of Alexander Ahndoril and Alexandra Coelho Ahndoril. While this novel is the eighth in the series, it worked as a standalone novel for me. However, I believe reading the previous novels would reveal additional background and insights into Joona’s character growth as well as his family and work relationships.

Jenny Lind was abducted on her way home from school and taken to a remote location where she and other girls face many horrors. Five years later her body is found in a playground with few clues as to where she’s been and who her killer is. Detective Joona Linna gets involved and when another girl goes missing, he fears a killer is escalating his activities.

Joona is a likeable character who feels strongly that everything should be done to find the killer and rescue Mia Andersson. This doesn’t always sit well with his immediate superior who want the quick solution and often leads to some intense situations. His character is well-developed by this eighth novel. Of the secondary characters, Pamela and Martin Nordstrom as well as Dr. Erik Maria Bark have the most depth with believable flaws and are unique in their own ways.

The conflicts and sense of urgency move the story forward and through some unexpected twists. The internal dialogues and the narrative pulls readers into the inner world of the characters making us unsettled, distressed, and thankful that Joona has the tenacity to keep investigating.

A memorable beginning sets the stage for what is to come. Reading on, the suspense was high through-out most of the novel. The plot is complex and has twists and turns to keep a reader guessing. The high stakes kept me engaged throughout the story. The well-written story and the incredible characters, combined with unnerving action, culminates in an astounding conclusion.

What a novel! Will you guess the identity of the killer? This novel contains several graphic and disturbing scenes and the antagonist’s deranged actions have a terrifying realism that is memorable. However, it is well-written, with a brilliant plot, and extraordinary characters. This reader was transported to the dark and horrifying world of the investigator and the victims. Themes include abduction, murder, family, child abuse, grief, severe trauma, physical abuse, mental health disorders, and much more.

Overall, this was an intense, dark, and gritty story with complex characters that kept me turning the pages. I am looking forward to reading the prior books as I wait on the next one in the series. Crime enthusiasts and thriller fans may want to check out this series if they can handle the triggers.

Thanks to Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group – Knopf and the writing team of Lars Kepler for a digital ARC of this novel via NetGalley and the opportunity to provide an honest review. Opinions are mine alone and are not biased in any way. Publication date is currently set for January 18, 2022. This review was originally posted at Mystery and Suspense Magazine.
** I would definitely throw a word of caution out to anyone that has triggers from situations that are not ideal or even harsh sexual situations. There are some graphic scenes in this book but I do believe that it is necessary in the story if we are to understand what a monster the killer is.**

I have to admit that I had to give myself some time to mull this one over before I could write the review. Lars Kepler definitely knows how to write a thriller that will keep you turning the pages and wondering what is going to happen in the end.

Detective Joona Linna has been on the trail of a killer that abducts young girls and takes them to a place that no one would want to be taken to. The place that the killer takes the girls to is such a bad place that only the killer could imagine this nasty place. The punishments that are given out to the girls is about as bad as the place that he houses them. I could only imagine the place in my mind and can't even think about keeping my animals there, let alone a human being. This killer is a monster and he has help from the least unsuspected person.

When the young girl that had been abducted shows up dead on a playground in a way that only this sick monster  of a killer could do, Joona knows that he has to find this killer and fast. When another young lady comes up missing soon after this other young lady has been killed, things start to really crazy now. You will be on the edge of your seat wondering where the plot is going to take you next. I don't want to give away any of this book because you will not be able to put it down once you start reading it., Such a suspenseful book that will have you wanting to reach through the book and kill this monster yourself.

I voluntarily read and reviewed this book and all opinions are my own. Thanks to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for a copy of this book. I recommend this book for all suspense lovers!
5 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
I would definitely be recommending this book to readers on my Instagram bookstagram account.
Lars Kepler can never disappoint and this was one of their most twisted books yet. I absolutely love this series and this case really creeped me out and was well written with one of the best strings of reveals.
I realise Lars Kepler is going to be a gruesome read but this was gruesome and then some! Teenage girls locked in cages and then killed , dumped to be found years later. There are some really dark parts here. A good addition to the series but I think I need a break from this darkness for the moment.
Lars Kepler has done it again!  They are the King and Queen of making my heart race and I don't hate it!

The Mirror Man is the 8th installment in the Joona Linna series, but can definitely be read as a standalone... although you may not understand the last page teaser that's thrown in if you haven't read The Sandman (book 4) and Lazarus (book 7).

This book opens up with some terrifying scenes and doesn't let up throughout.  And, like their other books, once you hit the mid-mark, you will not be able to put it down!  That's what happened to me yesterday.  I stayed up until midnight finishing this one and didn't even realize it was that late because I was so captivated by the book.

The Mirror Man is about Jenny Lind who was abducted in broad daylight, with a witness, 5 years ago but was never found.  We have three storylines here...  law enforcement trying to track down a serial killer, a woman and her husband who witness something horrific tied to the case and last, and most horrifying, the camp where not only Jenny Lind was taken, but many other girls over the years.  Those are the scenes that are sure to get your blood pumping!

If you like dark and twisted, then I highly recommend this one!  Can't wait for book 9!

Content Warnings: drug and alcohol use; mention of suicide; rape; infidelity; PTSD; dog fight
Kepler's 8th Killer Instinct novel is a smash, worthy of the half a shelf  in our bookstore we give to this husband and wife writing duo.  Gruesome plot, a good supporting cast of detectives, and the Swedish setting all make for compelling reading.  I love to recommend this series  for those who like Thomas Harris and Stieg Larsson.
Typical detective murder mystery I’m going to get you type situation. I tried really hard to get into it and it was probably just me but it was just not my cup of tea. A serial killer (I guess?) catches underage girls, takes advantage of them, plays games with them, and then doesn’t kill them right away like you would expect. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
The first part of the book seemed rather flat, this is where all the girls became victims of the killer. Things later started to make sense one we knew who the killer was, but we had to wait for this since it took time to figure out who it was. And Joona Linna came into play after Pamela requested him. It started when Alice went missing 5 years prior (she was Pamela's daughter), but Mia (no mom & dad) ended up becoming missing also, as Pamela was about to adopt her. Mia was the catalyst that got Pamela upset, but Jenny Lind was the girl who got Joona's dander up with her murder. He looked into it and found other women had been kidnapped and murdered. It really takes off when Joona figures out that a woman who was seen at the Jenny Lind murder was wearing a mink head as a neckless. The team Kepler seems to be able to control all the different aspects of psychological phenomenon that takes place in this story. But they also say in the afterword that much more has to be done. See if you can figure out who the murder is before you are told?
Another thouroughly engaging Joona Linna novel from the duo known as Lars Kepler. I always have love for these books because the storylines keep me interested and the stories are always wild, with crazy villains and twisty plots. This one is no exception, with Joona Linna chasing an elusive serial killer abducting and butchering women for years. His methods so oblique and subtle that authorities are in the dark that all the disappearances and homicides are connected. Perhaps he would have continued killing without being noticed, if it weren’t for the death of Jenny Lind. One mistake opens the door for Joona, and he makes a promise to find the person who held Jenny Lind for 5 years before killing her and leaving her body on public display. From there things take a wild turn and the story seems to get crazier as it goes on. I flew through it since the story has a tendency to grab ahold of you and keep you flipping pages. Another gripping story that leaves a subtle teaser at the end, perhaps setting up the next novel?? Review posted to Goodreads, Facebook, Instagram, Litsy and LibraryThing
I would like to thank the publisher and Netgalley for allowing me to read " The Mirror Man".
I really enjoyed it. I loved that it was a tad different from your usual kidnapping stories. One young girl, taken, on her way home from school, is found 5 years later hung in a park. Where had she been all this time?? A man walking his dog was a witness to the hanging, but he can't remember anything. He was mentally handicapped due to a trauma, when his daughter, Alice, drowned, a few years before.  And so begins the mystery, for Detective Joona Linna, to unravel. It was one hell of a ride! Gritty crime fiction! I would rate this book 4 out of 5.
The husband and wife writing team of Lars Kepler returns with a crime fiction novel #8 featuring Detective Joona Linna. This novel involves an unusual serial murderer and his ability to quickly capture innocent young women, at which point they are raped, imprisoned for years, and often viciously murdered. The girls are expected to be happy in captivity, but if they attempt to escape, they are brutalized. Detective Joona Linna is a master at solving crime, although he often has to do it without support and with inferior police backup. Linna outshines most fictional Detectives because his ability for recall and his personal style can’t be imitated. This is one of the few crime writing teams that I find so addictive, but this book took gruesome to new levels, and I had to take some breaks while reading. Too many triggers to list, but if you like detailed crime fiction with an unusual twist, this is the book for you. I loved the ending!
Thank you NetGalley, the publisher and the author, for the opportunity to read and give an honest review of this book.

I was excited to get another story about Joona Linna and his investigation of a murder, which fast becomes a series of abductions and murders. His ways are sometimes unconventional, but he gets the job done. Sometimes his coworkers are sacrificed in his effort to thwart the murderer. Often he locks horns with his boss, Margot. However, she knows Joona gets results.

Long suffering Pamela puts up with the mental illness of her husband Martin for five years after losing her daughter in an accident in icy waters. Martin’s PTSD prevents Pamela from obtaining any details about the accident.

When Martin witnesses a murder of a previously abducted girl, Pamela and Martin become entwined in a murder investigation by Joona. More girls turn up dead and it is obvious that Joona has a serial killer to search for.

If you have much experience in psychology or psychiatry, the authors will have you suspending your beliefs and just going along with the story as the tension mounts. That is okay in that this is fiction, after all.
This is the 8th book in the Joona Linna series by the husband and wife authors who go by the pseudonym of Lars Kepler.

Not sure how I got into this series but hard to believe I have read all 8 books and enjoyed most of them.

Detective Joona Linna is on the trail of a kidnapper who targets teenage girls and makes their worst nightmares a reality. Seventeen-year-old Jenny is abducted in broad daylight and taken to run down, isolated house where she is chained and caged along with several other girls. Their captor is unpredictable and extremely brutal in the punishment he gives out.

Five years later, Jenny is found dead in a public park, and the police are hitting dead ends in their efforts to find her killer. When Detective Joona Linna realises that this murder appears to have a connection to a death that was declared a suicide years before they may have their first break. Another seventeen year old goes missing and it confirms that there is a serial killer on the loose. With the police getting closer to the killer the girls being held captive are put in greater danger. It becomes a race against time to catch the killer before more lives are lost.

The book is quite graphic and brutal in parts and maybe too much for some readers but I certainly thought that it added to the atmospheric setting. Although I have read all 8 books in order I feel that they could quite easily be read as standalones.

I would like to thank both Net Galley and Knopf for supplying a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
The Mirror Man is the eighth novel in Lars Kepler’s Joona Linna Swedish crime fiction series. Here, this husband and wife writing team tackle a frightening scenario so dreadfully evil that it is sobering to realize it is a scenario that has played out in reality. There is often a fine line between insanity and evil and the psychiatry profession tries to do their best to fix these twisted people, but as this novel teaches us, that profession somehow cannot fathom how treacherous evil can be and how the analytical tools of the profession are simply insufficient to deal with those too clever to be cured. There are milk boxes that have been dotted with the faces of missing children, but none ever do more than touch the tip of the grieving pain the families left behind feel, wondering, praying. Set in Sweden, originally written in Swedish, Mirror Man is a fast-paced trip down serial killer highway, well-written, tough.
Lars Kepler once again excels in writing one of the scariest creepiest books I’ve read in a long time.Reading about a serial killer sends chills down ny spine but LarsKepler takes it to a new level.I could not put it down read late into the night.#netgalley#themirrorman
For a county with little violent crime, the Lars Kepler-couple make  Sweden appear like a nation of the most perversely creative psychopaths on the planet. "Mirror Man" is another stay-up-all-night read from the pseudonymous Lars Kepler, where the story is so outrageous that you can't believe what's in front of you--and you don't want it to end.

If you're in the mood for a really whack story where the pages fly by, you've found it. Just when you thought that things would even out now that Joona has a girlfriend, there's THIS.

Kudos to Alice Menzies for a fine, fluid translation
Over and over again I keep hearing Lars Kepler's name. My one girlfriend is obsessed and one of those creepy super fans. Well, my curiosity got the best of me and I caved. I needed to see what his books are all about!

The Mirror Man is absolutely insane!!! I could not calm my heart rate down as i flipped the pages. I needed to know what was happening! Talk about intense? This was a 12 on a scale from 1 to 10. I was completely consumed and addicted early on. I could not take a break or even get up for a bathroom break. I devoured this book in one sitting and I am left with a major book hang over. What did I just read?

Jenny is 16 when she is kidnapped in broad daylight. She is brought to an isolated house where she is chained and caged. There are other girls in the room with her who are also caged and chained. Their captor is an awful man. 5 years later Jenny is found dead and another girl goes missing.

This is an easy 5 star read. The Mirror Man has also made me a super fan and I can not wait to go back and read all of the previous Lars Kepler novels
The Mirror Man by Lars Keplar is an enthralling and engrossing read with a great plot and characters! Well worth the read
There are three great detectives in my opinion. Harry Hole, Varg Veum, and Joona Lina. To say I was thrilled to be approved to read the newest in the Joona Lina series doesn't state it adequately. And this book did not disappoint. I kind of laughed here. Like a  Lars Kepler book could disappoint.

This is a really taut thriller that had me staying up most of the night to finish. Teenage girls are being kidnapped and some killed in the most gruesome ways. So this is not for the weak. Lars Kepler never holds back. The ending was spectacular. Seriously spectacular.

Ten stars.