Cover Image: High-Protein Plant-Based Diet for Beginners

High-Protein Plant-Based Diet for Beginners

What a great start to plant based eating!
This book had some great, filling recipes to try, and great suggestions about how to swap out ingredients for things like dairy and meat, making it easy to alter pretty much any of your favorite recipes with a plant based alternative.
The book also covers the nutritional aspects of a plant based diet as well as dietary allergies. Will be making some of the recipes-they look fantastic!
Starting out eating a Whole-Food Plant-Based (WFPB) diet can sound super intimidating for anyone who isn't educated and equipped with the right research on how to ensure you're getting a good balance of everything (minerals, vitamins, you get the idea). In short, I feel this book would be great for as the title says, "- for Beginners"!

I appreciate that Maya describes that Vegan and Plant-Based eating are two different things in the beginning. It was nice to read a little backstory on her life with her parents and experiences. She also describes tips on how to save some money while living in the USA (ex: SNAP, WIC, etc) that some people might not know of.

That said? Let's take a deeper dive and get detailed!

Any cookbook I pick up, I scan through for photos as it influences if I will eat it or not as I eat with my eyes and reading ingredients pieces it together. I will say, I am a bit sad to see a lack of photos, but, the photos that were shown are beautifully taken and look yummy! The ingredients from what I can tell all seem like they would be easy to find or replace for anyone's specific needs. I did not try any of the recipes, but, I am looking forward to it.

- A few notes from my perspective.

I first went Vegan (the big difference is that most don't realize that Veganism is a moral compass to not use anything which comes from an animal/sentient being and do our best where practical and possible according to Vegan Society) back in September 2016 and so naturally, I know to replace the recipes which call for honey with another sweetener (maple syrup, date syrup or agave syrup). I am a person who likes to change up what I eat on a more consistent basis compared to my husband and so I have been looking for more WFPB recipes to follow. This book gave me some good ideas.

- Time for me to wrap this up and tell you, do I recommend it?

For those who are curious about eating plant-based? Sure! For people who would like more plant-based recipes? Absolutely. The "Meal Plan" is very helpful for those who want to take the guesswork out of what they should make.

I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley and I am not being paid. All opinions, thoughts, and reviews are my own.
I like that it tells me how many grams of protein are in each recipe, though through no fault of the book, I can't make a large chunk of them due to allergies. I did like the Golden chai smoothie though.
I’m always excited to see how to better cut animal products out of my meals and this book was wonderful for that. I always do genuinely need to try and keep up a high protein diet and that’s what made me pick this up. The book was great. It had some delicious recipes and just general info on the food stuffs which was handy. Well done!
I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. When you think plant based you don't think of protein, but this book teaches you about how much protein you need on a daily bases and how to get it through plants.
This cookbook book starts with an introduction to the Plant-Based Diet with easy to understand information and advice.

Each recipe is well laid out with easy to follow instructions. The cookbook has plenty of photographs throughout the book that highlight recipes. This is,a great book if your interested in going more plant based in your diet.

High-Protein Plant-Based Diet for Beginners is a healthy, plant based cookbook jam packed with delicious recipes.
The book starts with an introduction to the Plant-Based Diet for Beginners with easy to understand information and advice. This would also make a great book to refresh people on this Diet and support people who have had a break and are returning. Each recipe is easy to follow and there are photographs spotted through the book. I just wish there had been a photo for each dish as I enjoy seeing each dish as I go through a recipe book. If you're looking for a healthier way of eating that is eco-friendly and nutritious, you definitely need to read this!
This book is great for individuals who want to begin a plant-based diet journey. It gave a basic guide of how you would want to do your meal plan and there were lovely recipes. My favorite two are the Kale Caesar Salad with Chickpea Croutons (been wanting more recipes with chickpea in it besides hummus lol) and the Lentil Shepherds Pie. And the honorable mention to the Black Bean Fudge Brownies (YUM!) When you're going over the Meal Plan, the book also gives you the recipe to follow along and a grocery list to do the shopping. And at the end of the book if you need cooking conversions that are available as well!

Overall, this is great for beginners. And if you have even the tiniest of interest in plant-based meals- check this out.
High Protein- Plant-based diet for Beginners
by Maya A. Howard
Pub Date: Sept. 7, 2021
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the ARC of this book.  I am trying to eat a more plant-based diet and this book is fantastic.  It gave lots of good recipes and substitutions for common items.  The only thing I counted down for was the pictures.
I am recommending this book.
4 stars
I've been vegan for just shy of 5 years now but I always enjoy reading recipe books for new ideas or different twists on my favorite recipes. Maya did an amazing job with this book and gave so many yummy sounding ideas that anyone considering switching to a plant based or vegan diet will be set because she literally breaks it out unto a meal plan. There's weekly shopping lists and everything. If you're starting from complete scratch with this wat of eating,  expect to spend a little bit up front buying ingredients you may need as staples for many of the recipes.  Overall,  I'm definitely impressed and have saved several of the recipes I want to try.
I am always looking for new plant based recipes and this cookbook did not disappoint.  The recipes were easy to follow using ingredients I could easily find.  There were recipes that I have come across before, but what really impressed me were the unique recipes!  All of the recipes I made were really delicious and fun to make.  I definitely recommend this book.
This book is a great start to understanding plant-based eating, and addresses the problem a lot of people have when going plant based (how to stay full).
  There are a range of recipes to try, but the stand out feature was the substitute recommendations for things like eggs, and the dietary suitability for things like Nut free or Gluten Free options in some of the recipe listings.
This is truly a great resource for people who are just starting out on a plant-based or vegan diet. I wasn’t 100% sure it would be, as the author admitted to being raised WFPB. I couldn’t imagine such a book being written well by someone who hadn’t really “begun” their WFPB journey as the one cooking. I was pleasantly surprised to find this wasn’t the case. The introduction is well researched, giving many facts and examples along the way. I appreciate that this book focuses on the concern that most omnivores have that you can’t get enough protein without meat, dairy, or eggs. The author, Maya Howard, does an excellent job of explaining how much protein people actually need based on their weight and activity level. She even covers other concerns such as going plant-based on a budget.
I enjoyed the variety of recipes included. Many are simple to make, so they won’t overwhelm someone who isn’t used to cooking often. There is also a good mix of recipes made with common pantry staples and ones made with less common ingredients like hemp hearts, acai, and nutritional yeast. As a long-time vegan, those formerly “exotic” ingredients are now staples in my pantry due to their nutritional benefits. They are also available in most grocery stores these days.

I was also impressed with the creativity in the recipes. Many vegan cookbooks tend to rewrite the same handful of recipes over and over again. This one has a plethora of creative reimagining of typically meat, dairy, and egg laden favorites. Usually, I don’t advocate for trying to veganize meat dishes, as it makes people expect it to taste the same (and then be disappointed). However, these creative recipes sound like they would be delicious as is. I definitely see several of them becoming regular meals for me. Because of this, I would say it is also a good book for veteran vegans as well.
Very nice book for anyone wanting to try out being vegan. I like the 4 week plan, and the recipes sound delish. I deducted a star for the lack of photographs, which, tbh, is a must in a recipe book.
I wasn’t crazy about the format of this book. It was really dense as far as text to image ratio, which isn’t great for a cookbook. It had a lot of basic information, which is all useful when starting out a diet like this. I don’t know if the author really has the authority to tell me all the diet info though and have me fully believe them. I guess maybe I’d want more sources and such. I found a lot of this stuff to be Pinterest type stuff but all put together in a book.
As a longtime vegatarian (yes, I spelled it the way in purpose) sometimes I'm all vegatarian with vegan tossed in. I Loved this book from the title through the pages. I'm an intermittent faster and one of the things that can sometimes be a challenge is protein when you're fasting. You want to make sure to get it off protein when you're breaking your fast and the right kind. I'm also a breakfast lover anytime of the day and felt that there was just loads of amazing recipes. This is definitely been a great step up to my eating lifestyle.  I think the well written simplicity mixed with the great recipes makes us a great book for anybody. Even if you're a vegetarian once a week. One of my favorite cookbooks this year so far.
This one I found to be very user friendly, the recipes are easy to follow and it so inspiring really, will be doing a lot of this for my meal preps and try lots of different variations too.

Loved the breakfasts recipes i’m very picky sometimes and get bored easily but I think this will change that fast.

I loved that it was very informative too an have lots of tips for beginners.
I am trying to transition to a plant based diet and High-Protein Plant Based Diet for Beginners answers questions I didn't even know I had. My main concern in switching to a plant based diet is making sure I get enough protein. This book makes me feel confident I can make the switch, it lists foods with their protein content and a formula for calculating how much you need based on weight and exercise both of which I was very happy to see. Then it goes on to tell you about how to eat a combination so you get a proper balance of essential amino acids. It will also help you learn what to look for on nutrition labels to spot if it has any animal  based ingredients. Helps you set up your kitchen so you are ready to make the transition and tips to save money while buying the proper groceries. It also lists substitutes for items like eggs and cheese and includes some recipes you can use for substitutes. After preparing you for making the switch it gives you a 4 week meal plan with links to each recipe and then afterwords a shopping list for the week and lists day by day prep steps. I have enjoyed most of the Recipes and the others I Will hopefully get used to as I Accustom to being on a plant based diet. Overall I am really excited to make the transition to a plant based diet and this book will be 1 I refer back to for years to come.
A lot of times, I'll buy a vegetarian or vegan cookbook only to learn that either the recipes are too involved or include ingredients that I personally don't like.

What I liked about this book is that the recipes sound appetizing, the photos are inviting, and there are no icky ingredients . I already have a list of recipes that I'm excited to try!
I have been trying to add more plant base meals to my diet for several years, and it has been hard to find recipes that have higher protein in them. In enters High-protein Plant-based diets for beginners. This book was exactly what I was looking for. It was especially helpful to have a four-week plan all laid out and while I did substitute meals here and there, this book was exactly what I was looking for to get me started on a more plant based diet. The recipes are easy to follow and have ingredients that are easy to obtain. Overall a great book.