Cover Image: What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?

What a perfect book for preteens and teens and honestly has great advice for all ages! Really enjoyed reading this with my son and we both learned a lot. So grateful for the opportunity to review this!
The concepts and ideas in this book are good but I have a few suggestions. The title made me believe the book was going to be about how to handle social situations and give tips and tricks for that type of stuff. While the book briefly does this, it continues on and covers a wide range of topics. For me personally I would have preferred if the book focused on what the title suggested. I wanted more information on those topics and not information about how to make a poster for a protest. I wish the author had given more examples for each topic and gone into greater depth. The book felt a little all over the place with the wide range of topics.
What Can I Say? A Kid’s Guide to Super-Useful Social Skills That Will Help You Get Along and Express Yourself written by Catherine Newman & illustrated by Debbie Fong is an amazing resource!

The intended audience is middle grade to young adult readers but really any one of any age who could use a refresher in social skills should read this! Any one who has kids or teaches kids should read & share this! The range of topics discussed in this book are absolutely fantastic. From how to be a good friend, how to listen, stand up for yourself, how to respond to bullying, how to be an ally, express sympathy, understand empathy, how to date or not date, how to be inclusive, how to use pronouns, and much more!

There are illustrated examples given under each topic to help kids make the connection between what it means to be x and what that may look like in their own lives. There is also a little pop quiz at the end of each chapter on what would be the most appropriate response or action based on a given situation. It’s light, at times funny, and always non-judgemental.

I wish this book existed when I was younger. It is a useful compass for how to navigate emotions, friends, relationships, understanding others and yourself at a very confusing time in life when a child or young adult may not have the best role models equipped to practice or share these social skills with them.

These social skills are essential to learn and what a wonderful book to share with our youth today. I would recommend this for middle grade and YA readers and really for any one who has ever struggled with social skills. This would make a great classroom, library, and homeschool addition and I will be recommending this one to any one with kids and teachers. I will definitely purchase a copy for my own children as well.

Thank you to NetGalley for the digital ARC in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Catherine Newman for making this book!
This book was a good primer for kids on being a good friend and supporting others and speaking up for their needs. I think that it could have dived in more on allyship and what privilege means and how that can often shape the way we show up in our relationships.
Thanks Netgalley and publisher for giving me a chance to read this.

For someone who is socially awkward and often thinks herself of as having autism (not sure if I am. Being undiagnosed is hard because you can never figure out yourself ), this book is pleasing and playful to read. It offers a helping hand in a form of comical scenarios to solve many social interactions.

Just like the author says, I can stroll the pages if I found myself unable to relate to some of the contents, I did not. But I go through some with mixed feelings. Overall, it's one helpful book.
This book is fantastic. It covers so many different topics and explains the different ways to have various conversations with others. The book takes into account, that not everyone is comfortable  communicating in the same way and offers additional support for this. We already have How to Be a Person at school. It was one of my first choices for our newly-created Wellbeing Library and I will be adding this as soon as it comes out. Both books break down some difficult social situations into manageable chunks and provide practical tips alongside engaging illustrations and great humour.
This was such a cute and charming book. Catherine Newman's writing and Debbie Fong's illustrations were clear and concise. I especially see this being a great addition to a classroom or school library.
Some kids just kinda Get It socially-- some (my younger self included) Do Not. While a read-through of this cute book might not make an awkward tween into a social whiz immediately, I feel like if I had read this when I was floundering at 11 it would have made me feel a lot better. Just having some kind of textbook to lean on can help a lot for a kid who is comfortable reading and learning, and less comfortable experimenting in the real world.

I was pleasantly surprised by the breadth of topics this book covered, although some of them were breezed through more quickly than I thought they warranted. Very cute illustrations, and the book took efforts to be (and succeeds at being) inclusive.
I am the mom of a sweet middle schooler with autism.  This was a great book to give him a few tips!  Well done!