What Can I Say?

A Kid's Guide to Super-Useful Social Skills to Help You Get Along and Express Yourself; Speak Up, Speak Out, Talk about Hard Things, and Be a Good Friend

Pub Date 24 May 2022 | Archive Date 24 May 2022
Storey Publishing, Storey Publishing, LLC

Talking about this book? Use #WhatCanISay #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Middle school is an essential time to learn and practice social skills, including how to get along with others, talk about hard things, be an ally, and a good friend. In What Can I Say?,Catherine Newman, author of the bestseller How to Be a Person, provides supportive guidance and instruction to help kids establish or and maintain meaningful relationships and effective communication with friends, teachers, family members, and others in their communities. Talking the talk can be tricky, and every page of this super-useful book provides easy, accessible scripts and guidance on the right thing to say in all kinds of situations, from how to be inclusive, listen, give advice, argue, stick up for yourself, and ask for help to how to turn down a date, express sympathy, deal with offensive comments, respond to bullying, and be trustworthy. Humorous, graphic-style illustrations that play our familiar scenarios reenforce Newman's friendly, non-judgmental tone and her commitment to helping kids develop the skills to express themselves clearly while showing empathy, care, and generosity towards others.

PRICE £12.99 (GBP)

Send To Kindle (PDF)

This was such a cute and charming book. Catherine Newman's writing and Debbie Fong's illustrations were clear and concise. I especially see this being a great addition to a classroom or school library.

This book is fantastic. It covers so many different topics and explains the different ways to have various conversations with others. The book takes into account, that not everyone is comfortable communicating in the same way and offers additional support for this. We already have How to Be a Person at school. It was one of my first choices for our newly-created Wellbeing Library and I will be adding this as soon as it comes out. Both books break down some difficult social situations into manageable chunks and provide practical tips alongside engaging illustrations and great humour.

What Can I Say? A Kid’s Guide to Super-Useful Social Skills That Will Help You Get Along and Express Yourself written by Catherine Newman & illustrated by Debbie Fong is an amazing resource! The intended audience is middle grade to young adult readers but really any one of any age who could use a refresher in social skills should read this! Any one who has kids or teaches kids should read & share this! The range of topics discussed in this book are absolutely fantastic. From how to be a good friend, how to listen, stand up for yourself, how to respond to bullying, how to be an ally, express sympathy, understand empathy, how to date or not date, how to be inclusive, how to use pronouns, and much more! There are illustrated examples given under each topic to help kids make the connection between what it means to be x and what that may look like in their own lives. There is also a little pop quiz at the end of each chapter on what would be the most appropriate response or action based on a given situation. It’s light, at times funny, and always non-judgemental. I wish this book existed when I was younger. It is a useful compass for how to navigate emotions, friends, relationships, understanding others and yourself at a very confusing time in life when a child or young adult may not have the best role models equipped to practice or share these social skills with them. These social skills are essential to learn and what a wonderful book to share with our youth today. I would recommend this for middle grade and YA readers and really for any one who has ever struggled with social skills. This would make a great classroom, library, and homeschool addition and I will be recommending this one to any one with kids and teachers. I will definitely purchase a copy for my own children as well. Thank you to NetGalley for the digital ARC in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Catherine Newman for making this book!

What a perfect book for preteens and teens and honestly has great advice for all ages! Really enjoyed reading this with my son and we both learned a lot. So grateful for the opportunity to review this!

This book is a guideline to improve social communications no matter how difficult the conversation can be. Communicating  expressively, with compassion,  and responsibly can be vital for effective conversation because it makes the world a better place.  I like how the situations are explained in a simple manner  with  pre teen/ teen - level humor for the target audience to comprehend. I wished that I had come across this book years before, because this could have saved my embarrassing teenage moments . Although this book was targeted for preteen and  teen audience, the adults can learn a few things from this book. This book is definitely ideal for older children and teens to help take few tips for effective conversation. Although the book is meant for older children and teens, the teachers , however can take few tips to teach their young students for communicational benefit. Overall, this is a great tool!

This book was absolutely amazing and truly needs to be on every child’s shelf!! It is introspective and even adults can get wonderful information.

I was first introduced to Catherine Newman's writing when I read and reviewed her May 2020 book release, How to be a Person: 65 Hugely Useful, Super-Important Skills to Learn Before You're Grown Up. I loved that these simple yet important life skills. were covered in a simple and easy to consume manner, something that is not that easy to find these days! The first few years of parenthood really are all about survival- and then you come out on the other side and realize you are also raising a real live HUMAN who, under your supervision will need to learn how to be a competent and functional adult! So, How to be A Person is a much needed gem of a tool, and is filled with tips and tricks while also having a perfect balance of information and humor. I read it with our then 9 year old son and we both found that the writing was accessible and relatable. So when I saw "What Can I Say?" I couldn't get my hands on it fast enough! Just like how teaching our kids all the logistics of daily life can be trickier than we ever imagined, knowing the right things to say can be just as complex, if not more so. In a world where we are connected in so many ways, our words can be more powerful than ever before. Shown through engaging graphics and relatable narration, Newman walks us through dozens of social situations, from navigating peer interactions to how to be an ally. Her writing is compassionate and sparked so many great discussions with our pre-teen. Thank you to Storey Publishing for my gifted review copy.

This book is brilliant. I bever felt this is only for kids. So many lessons were so needed for even an adult. It reminds us to be fair, vice our opinions and never be rude. There are lessons for each situation / feel and done quite well. Must read.

Catherine Newman, the author of “ What Can I Say?” Has done a marvelous job on explaining the do’s and don’ts of the conversations. This book is definitely a savior for anyone who is in need of assistance with choosing the right things to say at the right time.

This is an absolute must read for all ages! It gives some of the best of life advice have heard in a long time. What to do when you are when you forget someone’s name? How do you handle asking someone out? How do handle saying yes or NO to being asked out! The author even covers topics of small talk, so awkward for me, I always over talk! I know this book is geared for the middle schoolers, but I truly believe everyone can benefit from the assistance offered in this book, I know I have! Thank you so much to NetGalley, Storey Publishing and Catherine Newman for the opportunity to review the ARC of this amazing book!

I think this book is applicable for all ages. What Can I Say by Catherine Newman is a guide for you, kids, teens or adult, how to communicate with your friends, crush even your neighbor. It's not only encourage us to say something nice and be empathy to other, but only encourage us to have our own boundary, respecting value and let go of some relationships This book is written beautifully with practical example that you can use in your daily life right away. Thank you netgalley and publisher for the arc.

This is a fabulous guide on how to be a well adjusted, kind, thoughtful kid who can interact with grace. Newman nails it. Should be required reading for politicians, bosses, and leaders of the free world.

I loved this book. It does such a great job going through appropriate interactions that kids in middle grades and early teens will encounter for the first time that will require more maturity to handle well. It lets them know it's OK if you don't always say the right thing, but gives some appropriate tools and phrases to use. Everything from that first crush/romance, setting boundaries, writing emails, and becoming an ally was covered. The only omission I noticed was a lack of discussion of what to do about friends with invisible disabilities (ADHD, ASD) and how to process and communicate with atypical peers. Would recommend for school and public libraries.

I really loved this book. As a teacher who focuses on emotional literacy in primary and middle school I will definitely be buying a book to have in use in the classroom. I found the content presented beautifully and, as an adult who struggles in similar situations, I found some great advice.