Cover Image: What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?

Honestly, adults need this book, too.

What Can I Say is a wonderful how-to book that helps guide the reader through all sorts of conversations. Some are simple and some are really not, but all are moments that will happen at some point, and having a script to follow will help a lot of people. I know it will help me.

Ms. Newman sets up the situations and gives multiple ideas to help navigate through them. She often includes the caveat that the reader may not feel comfortable or may not feel safe and that it's okay to seek help from others, or find another way around a difficult situation. Giving people options is an excellent way to let people know that one size doesn't fit all.

My thanks to Storey Publishing and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I have loved Catherine Newman’s writing for a long time and this book is no exception. Simple and clear, it’s crammed with her usual warmth and humour. Plus the illustrations are delightful.
This middle school guide to “learn and practice social skills” is just the book I could have benefited from as a pre-teen, hormonal smirch; except now I have the ability to recommend this gem of a manual to the masses!

I received an ARC from the author and publisher in exchange for an honest review.
The book "What can I say" really helps children confidently deal with any kind of situation they are in. It deals with every kind of situation we go through and how to respond to it with chosen words and expressions. The fine pictures catch children's attention.
I work in a secondary school library and this book is definitely going to be a winner on my shelves. Easy to read, informative and supremely helpful, it is laid out beautifully and gives great advice on how to use the many ways we have at our disposal of communicating with different types of people. Good, practical advise about how to interact with people in a meaningful way - and lovely use of illustrations to emphasise the point that we can all not only stand up for ourselves and our beliefs, but that we can do so in a respectful manner.
Look; tweenhood is tough. Anyone who says it isn't is either lying or deluding themselves. It's even tougher when you have to spend half your time trying to decipher what everyone around you means when they're talking. That's why this book will be a godsend.

Written in clear, simple language, bolstered with fun cartoons and comics, this is the guide everyone needs. I would love to see teachers reading this with their class, parents reading with their kids, kids reading with other kids...I'm an adult (apparently?) and I feel like I learned some things from this book.

As I was reading a proof, the conversion to Kindle wasn't perfect and a few things were in the wrong places, but I'm sure that'll be fixed by publication. The important thing is that all the cartoons and illustrations came through perfectly! They're fantastic, really helping to clarify while adding a light tone to the story. I really enjoyed looking through them.

This is a fantastic book, one I hope will do really well. It really deserves to.
This was a great book and a great addition to any library. It is inclusive, full of useful information about human interactions, and has a great sense of humor. Knowing how to interact with others is a learned skill and this book gives great practical tips for kids (and grown ups).
This book is a wonderful guide for kids to give them options of what to say in specific situations. It is a helpful guide to use to teach communication skills. Everyone can improve in the area of communication. This book is very easy to follow and helpful. There are a wide range of topics included in this book. It provides examples of how to deal with difficult situations/conversations such as bullying, dating, and racism. I highly recommend this book to parents, middle school librarians, and schools. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the advance review copy in exchange for my honest review.
Can I get an amen? Man, my kids need this book. Is it just me or has the social awkwardness reached an all time high?? Catherine Newman and illustrator Debbie Fong tackle ALL the subjects kids these day need help with: how to start a conversation, how to interact with adults, how to think about complicated feelings, crushes, empathy and when to write a thank you card. The illustrations are straight forward with key notes on what to say/what not to say.
I received an ARC for a fair review:

This title is great! I am eagerly awaiting this so I can purchase it for my library.

What Can I Say? helps kiddos navigate the awkwardness of meeting new people. dealing with offensive jokes, how to properly ask about pronouns, and more. This cute and comprehensive guide is a wonderful resource for parents to help their children learn how to speak confidently and kindly to others. I love the little quizzes and examples of conversations to help kiddos check their knowledge. It is done in a very accessible way which I really appreciate.
I really loved this book. As a teacher who focuses on emotional literacy in primary and middle school I will definitely be buying a book to have in use in the classroom.  I found the content presented beautifully and, as an adult who struggles in similar situations, I found some great advice.
I really enjoyed this book and would have really benefited from it as a child. I loved the simple, straightforward advice about how to respond to awkward or difficult situations. The first few sections in particular were really strong and would be a great learning tool for a child that struggles with social skills or etiquette. Heck,  I'm a grown adult and I feel like I learned a lot. The only thing I didn't like about this book was that, to me, it did feel pretty preachy at times, especially in the last section. I think it would have been better if there was a little more space held for people that might not agree about the pronouns and gender identity parts of the book. Or advice about how to interact with people who disagree with you on certain issues with whom you disagree but still love and don't want to write off. And, while the book is supposed to be simple and for young people, I also think that the parts about talking to your family about their offensive behavior were a little unrealistic. The hard part of the conversation isn't necessarily confronting Uncle Joe about his offensive joke, it's dealing with his reaction in a mature and respectful way that isn't starting a fight. That's the part that I still need help with and definitely did when I was younger. Overall, though, I think this book would be a truly valuable gift for a kid! I definitely recommend it.
This book is brilliant. I bever felt this is only for kids. So many lessons were so needed for even an adult. It reminds us to be fair, vice our opinions and never be rude. There are lessons for each situation / feel and done quite well. Must read.
Catherine Newman, the author of “ What Can I Say?” Has done a marvelous job on explaining the do’s and don’ts of the conversations.  This book is definitely a savior  for anyone who is  in need of assistance with choosing the right things to say at the right time.
This was really a great book!
It is a book for kids but I suggest it for everyone from teens to adults. All the tips are really helpful, I used them in a friend's party and I easily communicated with other people there.
The book also focuses on how to talk about pronouns, sexuality, racism and prejudices. The cartoons in the book are fun and diverse depicting common scenarios and activities.
I enjoyed the book and thankyou Netgalley for the ARC!
This is an absolute must read for all ages! It gives some of the best of life advice have heard in a long time. What to do when you are when you forget someone’s name? How do you handle asking someone out? How do handle saying yes or NO to being asked out! The author even covers topics of small talk, so awkward for me, I always over talk! I know this book is geared for the middle schoolers, but I truly believe everyone can benefit from the assistance offered in this book, I know I have!

Thank you so much to NetGalley, Storey Publishing and Catherine Newman for the opportunity to review the ARC of this amazing book!
This gem of a book helps cover some of the basics of the social graces (greetings, turn-taking in conversations, leave-taking, etc.). Especially well-suited for highly logical children who might be finding themselves in awkward social situations as they transition schools, meet new people, etc. Compliments, compromising, and apologies can make for more difficult situations. Learn how to safely navigate these with kid-friendly vocabulary and examples. Even navigating the rocky disagreement and relationship minefield is explored. This is a great book to read for elementary and middle school aged kids. Though, the format seems basic, it's an all-around gem of a read with valuable lessons for everyone to help make the world better for everyone.
I think this book is applicable for all ages.

What Can I Say by Catherine Newman is a guide for you, kids, teens or adult, how to communicate with your friends, crush even your neighbor.

It's not only encourage us to say something nice and be empathy to other, but only encourage us to have our own boundary, respecting value and let go of some relationships

This book is written beautifully with practical example that you can use in your daily life right away.

Thank you netgalley and publisher for the arc.
This is a fabulous guide on how to be a well adjusted, kind, thoughtful kid who can interact with grace. Newman nails it. Should be required reading for politicians, bosses, and leaders of the free world.
What can I say?   What a book!

The book   “What Can I Say?” covers several scenarios in the interactions with other people.    Comic-style illustrations along with the text give positive and negative ways to respond.   The etiology of  words such as “compromise” are explained.

Recommended for middle school age.

Many thanks to Netgalley and Stormy Publishers!