Cover Image: Little Homesteader: A Winter Treasury of Recipes, Crafts, and Wisdom

Little Homesteader: A Winter Treasury of Recipes, Crafts, and Wisdom

This book is lovely. I would definitely purchase it as a gift for parents with small children and likely will have a copy for myself. Thank you Netgalley for this opportunity to read this!
I am obsessed with the entire Little Homesteader series after reading this book! Angela Ferraro-Fanning does an incredible job in creating a book that gives winter recipes, crafts, and information, in an easy to read manner while looking beautiful.

Wanting to test some of the recipes and crafts for my review (and because they looked fun) I made salt dough ornaments with my daughter and homemade bread. Both recipes were perfect! The entire section about citrus made me happy as I grew up in a neighborhood that was an old citrus grove in Arizona. It was a fun to see the Dried Orange Slice Garland as I had made that many times as a child. The section on "Growing Citrus From A Seed" did seem silly to me as it can take anywhere from 7 up to 15 years (on average) for an orange seed to grow into a tree ready to produce fruit. (Poor kids will be grown by the time they eat that delicious fruit.)

Overall, I think this is a cute book to gives elementary aged kids for gifts!
A sweet, fuzzy and warm treasury with entertaining facts, crafts for children to enjoy and easy recipes to try out.

I loved the beautiful illustrations with their warm colours and cosy pictures. This book reminded me of other books I’ve read with the same kind of style and I enjoyed all of those as well. I would love to read the treasuries for the rest of the seasons.
What a fun book packed with recipes, crafts, and more for children 6-8 to do in the winter! I loved the recipes for three different hot chocolates and for berry cookies; fun crafts such as homemade wreaths and salt-dough ornaments; and planting projects such growing root berry bushes in the ground or containers. Colorful illustrations and wisdom shared by the homesteader author make this a great cold-weather gift.
This book was a delight! With accessible and sweet recipes and crafts the book emphasizes facts about the winter season and all of its possibilities!
Cute book with winter crafts and recipes geared towards elementary aged children.  Learn to make hot cocoa, homemade bread, salt dough ornaments, or knit with your hand.  There are birds and animals you can look for on a winter walk and even ideas for a winter garden.  The pictures are sweet and there are step by step instructions.
An adorable book of ideas!
As a homesteader and homeschooler of a young child, this both gave us ideas and reminded us of those we'd had before but forgotten about (like salt dough ornaments).
The illustrations are very cute but some directions might require further research (I don't think I'll be able to do finger knitting based on the instructions and will likely need to look up a tutorial video online).
That said, this would make a great gift for homeschoolers, homesteaders, or any family that is looking to have a cozy time together this winter.
Really sweet book with beautiful illustrations, interesting facts about winter (plants, animals, etc.) and lots of fun crafts. I am most looking forward to trying the finger knitting!
Very cute book. The art is adorable and it's got a bunch of great activities inside. It's seasonal but not Christmas specific, which I think is great. Winter as a season is a great thing to celebrate.
This was such a fun little book! It was full of beautiful picture, awesome craft ideas, and yummy recipes. My kids loved looking through this and picking out what they wanted to make and do when the holidays roll around. Great for any hands on family, homeschooling family and educators.
This is a beautifully illustrated and engaging book. I love looking at it just as much as my kids do. It's fun and full of useful information.
I have loved this series from the very first one. The concentration of season will allow guardians to plan out slow days and keep kids occupied. The illustrations and easy to follow instructions are great for all ages and will be a book that can be returned to countless times
As appreciation for seasonal rhythms and patterns is growing, especially among parents who are encouraged to slow down by their children, this book comes to be a great resource. Specially geared towards winter activities, this book can help all of us get through the cold, often difficult months of winter with young children.
This book is so cute! It includes fun facts and so many activities to do with kids during the winter months. From making dried orange garlands to maple syrup candies and more, there is surely an activity or two that your family will enjoy.

Thank you to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group for allowing me to receive a copy of this book to read and review.
This is a beautifully illustrated book full of ideas for making the best of - and appreciating the beauty of - winter. While some of the projects may be a challenge depending on where you live (tapping a tree to make syrup, identifying woodland animal tracks in the snow), as a child I would have loved just looking through the beautiful pages, and feeling cozy and inspired. I like that many of the activities are nature-inspired and my only note would be that it would be great if some of the materials (parchment paper, balloons) were more eco-friendly. Aside from that, it would be a lovely addition to a child's shelf. I would rate this book 4.5 stars, rounded up to 5.
What a great book to add to Children’s collection. Lots of information, cooking and arts and crafts. My Granddaughter loves making bread with me so that is definitely pane we will try. Also we will make the bird feeders and solstice lanterns. All crafts are not expensive to make as are the recipes. This book is a great way to spend the winter keeping the Children busy.
This book is adorable! What a great idea. I love that this is for kids, yet it still has so many useful ideas for adults. I definitely want to make the cocoa and the salt dough ornaments. While I was looking for books for my 1-year-old niece (and this one isn't in her age range), I personally enjoyed it in my 30s. I'm going to recommend it to some of my friends with kids who could use this. It's beautiful.
This book is adorable and whimsical. It brings a sense of wonder and fun to an otherwise cold and dark season. I love the variety of activities: from winter gardening to handicrafts for kids to do inside and ways to explore even when their world is covered in snow. We will definitely be implementing these ideas. I also appreciate how short the book is. Many books boast 100+ ideas etc, but this book is short and simple with activities that can be shared by everyone! You don’t have to flip through pages and pages to find the perfect activity. The list is well curated with a great mix of fun!
Wholesome! Beautiful! Sustainable! Anyone with little kids in their home NEEDS this book (in fact all the books in this series). Grandparents? Ta-da! You’ve got plenty of memory-making activities that are easy and fun! Parent with lots of different age? Activities that bridge the age gaps for some family togetherness. If you homeschool by the seasons, this is an absolutely treasure trove of easy, inviting, captivating little activities. It is an absolute feast for the eyes!! I will be adding all of her books to my library.

Thank you, NetGalley!
The illustrations are adorably done and it’s packed with fun thing for the littles to do in the winter.
Having done many of these activities myself there’s a bit of concern on the content:
‘ask for adults help’ for the candy making. For process shown the child should not be helping at all, hot sugar burns are no joke. Since the child won’t be much help here I don’t think it should have been included. It’ll be more frustrating than fun for them.

The compost bottle is a cute idea that lets your kid watch as the kitchen scraps break down, but soft plastics can make the worms sick and there’s no mention of making sure it doesn’t become acidic, which is especially important if they’re getting citrus scraps from the recipes in this book. While it should be cute and educational it’s just a torture chamber for the poor worms.