Little Homesteader: A Winter Treasury of Recipes, Crafts, and Wisdom

Pub Date 06 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 14 Oct 2021

Talking about this book? Use #LittleHomesteaderAWinterTreasuryofRecipesCraftsandWisdom #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

This charmingly illustrated seasonal treasury of nature-based crafts, baking recipes, and gardening projects for the winter celebrates the homesteading lifestyle with self-sufficient and eco-friendly fun.

Locally printed on 100% recycled paper, Little Homesteader: A Winter Treasury of Recipes, Crafts and Wisdom offers: Easy yet delicious winter recipes and treats that introduce young readers to local and seasonal eating. From berry cookies, to hot cocoa recipes to warm up after a winter walk, the easy-to-make recipes will inspire kids to get into the kitchen.Suggestions for using up unloved parts of produce, such as carrot tops to make a kitchen windowsill garden, demonstrate a naturally zero-waste way of living.Accessible and fun crafts, such as making salt-dough ornaments and foraged foliage wreaths, have instructions broken down into clear steps illustrated in AnneliesDraws’ cute and wholesome style.The seasonal gardening and growing projects, such as planting bare root berry bushes in the ground or in containers, can be done in a big back yard or on a balcony, making this eco-friendly activity book a fun resource, whether readers are based in town or country. Woven alongside the cooking, crafting, and planting projects are little snippets of seasonal information and self-sufficient wisdom from homesteading teacher Angela Fanning of Axe and Root Homestead, with a focus on enjoying and celebrating the best of what the winter season has to offer.

Find even more nature-centered seasonal fun in: Little Homesteader: A Fall Treasury of Recipes, Crafts, and Wisdom.

he cover of this title invites its readers right in. Inside are activities that involve crafts, cooking and planting. Just a few of the sections in this title include Recipes for Cocoa; Make a Dried Orange Slice Garland, How to Tap a Tree and Winter Birds and Nesting Habits. The illustrations that accompany the text are cheerful and appealing. Consider sharing this one with a child you know. You will both enjoy it. Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher. All opinions are my own.

Fantastic collection of recipes and hands-on crafts for littles. A bit too immature for my teens, but would be great for elementary and preschool students.

THIS BOOK IS SO AMAZING! I love all the crafts that are in here, especially since it gives you a step by step picture guide for your kiddos. The recipes are adorable and overall the book flows nicely. I will be purchasing for my daughter.

Sweet book full of delicious treats, uplifting faces and just the right touch of comfort. This is fantastic for traditional and non traditional students up to grade 3.

Little Homesteader: A Winter Treasury of Recipes, Crafts, and Wisdom by Angela Ferraro-Fanning is an excellent collection of wintertime activities and information. I appreciate the way that this book weaves together crafts and recipes with relevant facts about different aspects of winter. This book includes information about winter crops, utilizing kitchen scraps, and what happens to animals and trees in the winter. Recipes include hot chocolate, bread, candied oranges, and maple syrup candy. Crafts range from the practical pinecone bird feeder and finger knit scarf to solstice lanterns and salt dough ornaments. Each recipe and activity includes step-by-step directions as well as multiple illustrations of the steps. I enjoy doing seasonal studies with my family as well as my students (as time permits), so I could see myself using this book at home and at school. I think this book generally does a great job of not limiting itself to a specific winter holiday, although it does include salt dough ornaments on a Christmas tree. I feel that the book could be more inclusive by including crafts related to other winter holidays as well as the salt dough ornaments. I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and Ivy Kids in exchange for an honest review. #LittleHomesteaderAWinterTreasuryofRecipesCraftsandWisdom #NetGalley

This is such a sweet little book and I think kids and their parents will enjoy making the recipes and spotting the winter animals. Definitely purchasing for our juvenile nonfiction section.

Thank you for the advanced copy of this book! First of all, this book is STUNNING. The illustrations are adorable. I love the that it includes so many different activities for kids to enjoy in the winter time. We are going to be referring back to this over and over!

This book is charming. Inside their are colorful illustrations that highlight the life of a homesteader. The book includes a few recipes and craft ideas perfect for fall or winter. I will be purchasing this book for our juvenile collection.

This is a cute and short book with winter activities you can do with your little ones: from hot drinks and dried fruits crafts paintbrushes and bird feeders. The illustrations are inviting and the instructions are easy to follow. It would be a welcome christmas gift!

Little Homesteader: A Winter Treasury of Recipes, Crafts, and Windsom has everything I want to do with my son in winter time. The cover gives you an idea of the activities you may find and the illustrations are so accurate that you don't need to read a large text to understand it. Is eco-friendly and have low sugar recipes. I want to teach my son to respect the environment and animals, this book has all. Thanks to NetGalley, Angela Ferraro-Fanning and Ivy Kids for the opportunity to read this book.

Little Homesteader: A Winter Treasury of Recipes, Crafts, and Wisdom by Angela Ferraro-Fanning was a delightful wintertime treat to read. Adorably illustrated throughout, winter themed crafts and activities, and recipes while educating youth on incorporating nature and using low to zero waste options to make something new. I loved this & would recommend for little ones from preschool to middle-grade. This would also be perfect for homeschooling during the winter months. Thank you to NetGalley for the digital ARC in exchange for an honest opinion.

Little Homesteader is full of many great, simple and inexpensive DIY crafts that are perfect for the winter months. I can hardly wait to try some of them! The thing I liked most about this book, though, is that it shared interesting information as well. For example, I had no idea trees other than maples could be tapped for sap! Also, the information on hibernation and brumation was fascinating. In fact, I had never heard the term brumation until I read this book. I had to pull out the dictionary just to double check that the term was real. (It is.) I think many of my library children and their parents will love reading Little Homesteader and doing the crafts together. Thank you NetGalley for a chance to read a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is an adorable book. The illustrations are totally charming and the activities are the perfect combination of interesting and engaging for children, without requiring a shopping list as long as your arm or an excessive amount of prep/clearing up for parents. It really does hark back to a simpler time of home made decorations throughout the autumn and winter, and I cannot wait to try some of them with my children.

I absolutely loved this book. It is filled with the sweetest ideas for winter activities to do at home. The illustrated instructions are wonderful for my small children who can’t yet read and for my older who loves a visual example.

This was a huge hit in our house! The illustrations are absolutely adorable. There are very fun yet easy crafts that can be done by older kids without intervention just supervision. I’m very happy with this!

Little Homesteader: A Winter Treasury of Recipes, Crafts and Wisdom is such a beautifully-illustrated book for our young readers! This book will inspire little boys and girls alike to be present with nature during the winter season in order to give a whirl at the various activities included from learning to spot animal tracks, foraging for a foliage wreath, and making homemade bread with stenciled garnishes! I love how the author included illustrated lists of items you will need as well as directions. Each activity is practical and does not require a lot of extra fancy items either! I know our children will enjoy this one during the holiday and winter season for sure!

I’m a stay at home mom and we love doing crafts this book had great ones for winter . I recommend to anyone from wanting to do small crafts with little kids to even elementary school age . Super easy crafts we have already done a few can wait to do more from this book . Would be even perfect for like a snow day book to do crafts to keep kids busy.

A Winter Treasury of Recipes, Crafts, and Wisdom is a very sweet picture book, complete with not only recipes and projects, but also winter science. All three are woven together beautifully to make a book that any parent and child will enjoy together. Some of the recipes and crafts included are: hot cocoa pinecone bird feeders homemade bread finger knitting candied orange slices and more! Additionally, this book speaks to the science of the season, including how to spot animal tracks, bird's nesting habits, evergreen trees, etc. All with these delightful illustrations that evoke a sense of wonder and comfort. This winter book truly is a treasure and I can't wait to delve into some of the projects with my kiddos. *Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions are my own.

I can not wait to get a physical copy of this book! The recipes and crafts inside of it are absolutely perfect if you are looking to dip your toes into the world of Waldorf learning. My five year old is so excited to make and do these activities over the next couple months with the fall/ winter just starting where we live. We have gone through the book a couple times already making a list of which ones she wants to do first. We are planning on slowly working through them on the weekends as a family. I was surprised that even my husband is looking forward to a couple of them, but I really think he just wants to eat the candied orange slices.

How cute is this!? With winter on our heels, this is a perfect way to involve the kids and make fun memories. Here is on of the adorable recipes included in the book. And these graphics! 😍

This is a sweet little book for kids stuck indoors during the long cold months of winter. It features recipes for hot drinks, maple syrup sweets, breads and salt dough, plus nature crafts and some outdoorsy skills like studying animal tracks and identifying trees in the depths of winter. It even goes into tapping trees for syrup (and which trees are tastiest) (note for Southern hemisphere readers - don't do this)! All of the ideas are simple, old-fasioned, down-to-earth ideas designed to keep kids off screens and engaging with their surroundings again. From using kitchen scraps to regrow plants or make compost to learning about hibernation or learning to knit, this book covers a wide range of topics. Aimed at younger readers (6-9 or thereabouts), this is a lovely book to help families while away the winter hours. NOTE: Much of the content requires adult involvement. ~~Many thanks to NetGalley for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review~~

This is an adorable book. I'm actually sort of looking forward to winter to try some of these activities with my kids now! The illustrations are cute and colorful, and the activities are varied enough that you're sure to find something that everybody will enjoy. The educational aspect is nice as well!

This book is a great activity book for children in the winter. It includes winter recipes like breads and hot chocolate, finger knitting, pine cone bird feeder and more. The art style is great and wintery. Crafty kids will love this! Thank you to netgalley for a free copy in exchange for an honest review!

Little Homesteader is a delightful treasury of activities and information perfect for winter! Each page has adorable illustrations with recipes, crafts, and activities. It encourages children to explore outside in winter. I would recommend this for early elementary school aged children who live in a more rural setting or have access to nearby woods. This would make a wonderful holiday gift! Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for providing this ARC.

This book is hands down the most PRECIOUS book I’ve seen all year. I cannot wait for it to actually hit shelves because I’ll be buying it! The illustrations are unlawfully adorable. It has step by step instructions for fun and simple, but creative, activities for the season. And it’s just so Hygge I can barely handle it! If you have kiddos, definitely look for this when it comes out. Thank you to NetGalley for allowing me the pleasure of viewing a sample early!

A Winter Treasury of Recipes, Crafts, and Wisdom is a great winter-themed book for kids, filled with recipes, crafts, and information about animals and nature. This book is absolutely adorable and perfect for anyone looking to do some fun crafts with young ones over the winter. This book was so cute, it almost makes me wish winter could come sooner!

If you are looking for a bright-colored, cute, and easy to do crafts to do with your children or any child of your family or friends. All of the cute little illustrations made this book such a holiday treat to read and hopefully I will be able to do at least two of these arts and crafts with my nephew. Having all the details/instructions written but also with illustrations made it easy on the eyes and understandable. The crafts ideas are a great way to come together and create new traditions and memories.

This is such a beautifully illustrated book and it would make a fantastic gift for the young reader in your life. It is chock full of ideas for wintertime, like various hot cocoa recipes to make, instructions for a citrus garland, and regrowing kitchen scraps. Even as an adult, I enjoyed reading through it, and I would look forward to sharing it with my kids and picking some fun activities to do together.

This winter treasury of recipes, crafts, and wisdom is the perfect way to keep your family busy this holiday season! Paired with cute illustrations, there are recipes for cocoa, homemade bread, candied oranges, and more, with fun activities such as salt dough ornaments or solstice lanterns mixed in. You can learn how to tap a tree, which trees to tap, and how to make candy from the syrup. There's also a few pages that focus on winter gardening, animals and their tracks, and different types of evergreens! This book is a great resource for families looking for more hands-on activities to keep them occupied during the long winter days stuck inside. With a little supervision and help, these activities and recipes can be fun at almost any age and can even make great homemade gifts for the holidays!

A perfect book to curl up with on those cold winter days. Beautifully illustrated, this book shares the love of winter by offering nature facts, recipes, craft ideas, and other fun seasonal activities and knowledge from an accessible homesteading perspective -- but even city dwellers will get a lot out of the ideas here. The writing has a cozy tone which, combined with the gorgeous artwork, is sure to warm hearts and inspire readers to appreciate and embrace the winter season. Highly recommended for general library purchase.

Little Homesteader is a wonderful activity book full of thoughtful and accessible recipes, projects and things to do for young children. What a beautifully written and illustrated book that almost all children will be enchanted by. Everything is simple and close to nature, encouraging children to tune into the season. Even though it is USA targeted it would be globally loved. Excellent.