Cover Image: Accomplished

Accomplished

Because I felt like I missed something, I kept checking to see if Accomplished by Amanda Quain is a sequel. It isn't, however, a lot of the story is dependant on things that happened in the past. Georgie Darcy was only allowed back to her prep school because of her family's legacy. After Wickham, a sort-of boyfriend was dealing out of her dorm room, her life fell apart - especially because her brother, Fitzwilliam Darcy, began to micromanage her life. Now that she's back at Pemberly Academy for her junior year, she needs to reboot and live up to the impressive Darcy family legacy. With her rich girl life and family legacy, you don't always feel so bad for Georgie, but everyone needs friends and to feel they are loved.

The plot is all over the place and some choices aren't exactly logical, but it is fun to be lost in a life of privilege for a while.
I cannot count the number of Pride and Prejudice re-tellings that I've read over the years. What I can count are the number of adaptations that actually stand out. This book is now on that list.

Sequels or retellings from Georgiana Darcy's pov aren't new to the Austen fandom. Modernized versions aren't either. This one begins at Pemberley- an elite boarding school, where Georgiana Darcy has just returned to start a new semester after the prior year was cut short due to being swept up in a drug scandal involving the sexy bad-boy Wickham Foster.

Wickham has been expelled from Pemberley, but he shows up to try to seduce Georgie again and bring her into his newest scheme by manipulating her into thinking he's the only one who cares about her. Georgie, in her Camp Sanditon shirt (fun little nods to Austenverse are peppered throughout the narrative) makes a bet with Wickham. He'll leave her alone if she is able to convince the entire school and her perfectly aloof brother/legal guardian that she is truly a Darcy, an "accomplished young woman."

Well, of course Georgie Darcy is going to be an accomplished young woman. That's in the script, right? Amanda Quain managed something at this point in the narrative that I didn't think could still be done with a P&P re-tell. She created actual suspense. Honestly, I don't know that I've ever felt that since the first time I've read P&P. I'd forgotten that it's not really a comfort book unless you know the ending, and I wasn't entirely sure that Quain was going to remain faithful to the spirit of Austen endings, particularly when Georgie started in with Sage Hall fanfic featuring a rich girl/poor boy romance. .

Yes, Downtown Abbey meets Pride and Prejudice. But in Downtown Abbey, the happy endings aren't a guarantee. In fact, the HEA looks  increasing unlikely  as Georgie's various attempts at becoming accomplished blow up in her face, as she continues to naively fall for intrigue, and as she hurts others because she's unconscious of her privilege. The title is quite apt because in striving to become an accomplished young woman,  she connects with someone who teaches her where her prejudices lie and that pride is worthless unless it is tied to actual accomplishment. And then, Georgie is an Austen heroine, and we all know Austen heroines get the guy when they become the best versions of themselves.

Read this. It's fun and suspenseful and it is very satisfying to see Lydia Bennet at a frat party..
In a fresh retelling of Pride and Prejudice, Lizzie Bennett and Mr. Darcy are minor characters while his little sister Georgie Darcy steals the spotlight.  I have to confess that I have never read Pride and Prejudice in full, but I love the movies and the storyline.  However I think I missed the detail about Mr. Darcy having a sister in the original version.  This book makes me want to go back and read the original book because I am smitten with all of the characters!

Georgie Darcy is far from perfect, but she has had the perfect life.  Her mistakes are catching up with her and she finds herself having to search within for her true values and friendships and prove that she is not just coasting on her family's fortune.

Her brother is over-protective, stubborn, sour, and deep down, a very loving person.  It was so fascinating to explore a new version of Fitz Darcy--as a big brother!  The author even sprinkles in the romance between him and Elizabeth Bennet, from Georgie's point of view.  Lizzie's sisters Jane and Lydia also make an appearance, in addition to Charles Bingley.

This is a great read for both fans of Pride and Prejudice and those like me who are wannabe fans!  I highly recommend this novel!
This book is a lively, funny, largely believable take on Georgiana Darcy, a minor character in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The updated setting-- a modern-day boarding school in New York-- works well enough as an alternative to Hertfordshire, and the stakes are lowered appropriately, as Georgie's entanglement with Wickham is a drug scandal rather than an elopement. Georgie's naivety and determination both work well: she doesn't fully understand how her wealth sets her apart despite the school scandal, but she is committed to regaining any social and educational ground that she has lost due to her relationship with Wickham. Meanwhile, her big brother Darcy has transferred colleges to be nearby and struggles with how to be a good brother and a potential boyfriend to his study group partner Lizzie Bennet.

One of my favorite things about this text is the clever inclusion of Georgie's love for a Downton Abbey-like TV show and the fanfic she writes about her OTP, which functions as a reminder of Accomplished's own roots as an adaptation. I also appreciate how the novel considers the pressures faced by young people in competitive environments and the larger implications of being "accomplished." Given how little we see of Georgiana in the original novel, the discussion of her accomplishments is a great jumping off point for imagining the character, and the modern-day parallels work well.

Georgie is a sweet, funny, largely lovable if sometimes frustrating narrator. Her struggles to connect with classmates and the rest of the trombone section are awkward without being completely over-the-top cringeworthy. And if the ending is perhaps a little too happy, well, that's true of the source material as well.
Georgianna Darcy is arguably one of the most under appreciated characters in Pride and Prejudice (I mean, she had to deal with an angsty Darcy pining over Elizabeth for who knows how long). I have always loved the glimpses of Big Brother Darcy, and I feel like this relationship with his sister really explains his prideful image. Let me just tell you that Accomplished did not disappoint on this front. To quote Georgie, she has, "A fairly excellent big brother."

Let's just start with the modern setting. I have not laughed this hard over a book in basically forever. Reading about Wickham 'sliding into DMs,' Fitz Darcy loving to send Google Calendar invites, and Georgie ranting about the patriarchy that prevented her dress from having pockets was something I didn't know I wanted until now. The way she modernized each character was remarkably on point, and it was fun to see what they would look like today. On top of this, Amanda's writing style is a beautiful blend of deeply introspective commentary and snarky, sarcastic wit, and I loved it.

Another aspect of this book that I deeply appreciated was how Amanda's fangirl status came out. Little things like Dad!Fitz and Georgie referencing AO3 and Tumblr, all the way up to Camp Sanditon and the Sage Hall tv show, which was notably similar to Downton Abbey. She did a great job pulling in the original story and fangirling alongside her readers, while creating something entirely her own.

There were really only two things that I didn't love about this book. The first was the frequent use of expletives, along with the underaged use of drugs and alcohol. While it was an accurate portrayal of most American high schools, I just wish that that it hadn't been made out to be quite so normal, especially since this book is being marketed to teens. The second thing that I questioned was Fitz's and Georgie's relationship. While the tension between them fits this plot, it didn't seem that consistent with their relationship in Pride and Prejudice. Obviously this was a retelling, and not everything has to be spot on, but it did seem a bit odd since Darcy was originally such a doting brother.

Overall I thought this was one of the best Pride and Prejudice spin offs that I've read!
Things I liked
More accessible language than the original.
The Darcy siblings seem to still have sibling affection.
Wickham is still a sleeze, a drug dealing one at that.
Things I don't like
Fitzwilliam is way too out of touch for his age
Georgiana has gone from young and naive to young and just plain dumb.
There is no way Mr. Darcy would leave his beloved sister somewhere that is obviously gonna cause her greater distress

Overall, an easy read and I think it'd be more tolerable if it didn't have that connection to Pride and Prejudice
The second I say ‘Georgie Darcy’ then read the blurb, I knew I needed to read this book ASAP!!! It was cute, clever, and creative and I throughly enjoyed it. I definitely will be reading more from this author!
A lovely modern take on Pride and Prejudice from the perspective of Georgiana. I found this to be a more accessible form than the original Pride and Prejudice as the language is modern. I feel it truly captured the attitude of Georgiana well.
5 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
I would definitely be recommending this book to readers on my Instagram bookstagram account.
I was given this ARC off of Netgalley for an honest review.

I took a few days to figure out how to word my review, but I still find myself stumped. This book wasn't bad, but I found myself angry half the time by majority of the decisions that half the characters made in this book. I try to be mindful that these are teenagers, so essentially they run on bad decisions and impulses, but a lot of stuff could have been handled or resolved in people just talked to each other? I mean, of course that was the main conflict in this story was that the Darcy siblings don't actually share what they're feeling to each other, but a lot of it felt contrived simply for the narrative. I just wanted to scream at both of them for being so incredibly dumb.

My biggest issue with this book was the fact that Fitz had guardianship over Darcy, and he had guardianship over since he was 16. I don't care how emancipated you are, how fucking rich you are, no judge in their right mind is going to be like, "Yeah sure, that's totally cool." There are times where a book needs to stay true to the source material, but this was not one of them. Fitz had no business being her guardian when he was barely fit to take care of himself. They both ran away from their grief and trauma, and it made their whole relationship borderline toxic. By the time they resolved their issues, I just wanted Georgie to tell Fitz to fuck right off. Especially when he threatened to cut her off from the family money if she didn't go back to school.

Speaking of the school, why wasn't she placed somewhere else? This girl had her educational career destroyed by some gaslighting drug dealer, and yet her "responsible and put together" brother thought it was best that she continue there? To be traumatized and bullied because of what was happened TO her? Also, the fact that it came off as she just didn't make friends and she was a "Darcy" was a poor excuse to make her feel like some ice queen. This girl had abandonment issues out the ass, yet it was her fault she couldn't make friends. Get this girl in therapy, get this whole damn family into therapy, and get her an actual guardian who can actually drink legally.

This is fine and if I was a teen, I'd probably really like it. But as someone who is well above all that teenage angst, I couldn't move on from that WTF moments. This book isn't bad, but it wasn't for me so that's why I'm only giving it 3 stars.
I didn't find Georgie to be particularly relatable and was less invested in what happened to her than I might otherwise have been. That said, I didn't find OG Georgiana all that relatable either, so maybe that was all part of the plan.
I mean! It started off okay but wth is up with all the pop culture references. It was too cringey and corny to be entertaining
Thank you net galley for the advance reader copy of this novel.   This was a contemporary retelling of pride and prejudice but had Georgianna Darcy as the main character.   For me, the novel was hard to get into.   The focus on Georgiana (George) didn't keep to the pride and prejudice storyline quite like I was expecting.   The was language in this book that I didn't appreciate that as a YA novel was accurate?   Overall this one was a bit flat for me.
Georgina Darcy is trying to get her life back on track after “The Incident” turned her life upside down last year, all thanks to Wickham Foster. Georgie wants to be the best Darcy she can possibly be to prove to herself, her peers and most importantly her big brother Fitz that she is able to take care of herself. Unfortunately, her comeback is more difficult than she imagined. Faced with new challenges, obstacles and visits from old friends, Georgie soon realizes that it’s okay to accept help from people, even if it is an old friend.

Wow this book was everything I needed and more. I was hooked from the very beginning. I loved the storyline and the characters as they developed throughout the novel. I was so happy with how things ended in the book and cannot wait to purchase this book and add it to my collection!

I would highly recommend this to anyone who loves a feel good read with a few surprises along the way!
Accomplished is a wonderfully entertaining and well thought out modern take on Austen. I loved the way that the characters were modernized here. You will root for Georgie Darcy from page one as she sets out on her mission to recover and rebuild her reputation.

Rating: 4/5

Synopsis:

It is a truth universally acknowledged that Georgiana Darcy should have been expelled after The Incident with Wickham Foster last year – at least if you ask any of her Pemberley Academy classmates. She may have escaped expulsion because of her family name, but she didn’t escape the disappointment of her big brother Fitz, the scorn of the entire school, or, it turns out, Wickham’s influence.

But she’s back for her junior year, and she needs to prove to everyone—Fitz, Wickham, her former friends, and maybe even herself—that she’s more than just an embarrassment to the family name. How hard can it be to become the Perfect Darcy? All she has to do is:

– Rebuild her reputation with the marching band (even if it kills her)
– Forget about Wickham and his lies (no matter how tempting they still are), and
– Distract Fitz Darcy—helicopter-sibling extraordinaire—by getting him to fall in love with his classmate, Lizzie Bennet (this one might be difficult…)

Sure, it’s a complicated plan, but so is being a Darcy. With the help of her fellow bandmate, Avery, matchmaking ideas lifted straight from her favorite fanfics, and a whole lot of pancakes, Georgie is going to see every one of her plans through. But when the weight of being the Perfect Darcy comes crashing down, Georgie will have to find her own way before she loses everything permanently—including the one guy who sees her for who she really is.

Thank you NetGalley for giving me an ARC!
Accomplished: A Georgie Darcy Novel by Amanda Quain is an excellent Young Adult book that takes the classic Pride & Prejudice novel and gives it a modern, fresh, younger, and unique spin with its beloved characters. I really enjoyed this unique narrative.

I am a huge fan of P&P, so I am very picky with what is done to my beloved characters. I really liked this one. It is definitely geared towards the upper teen/young adult audience, but adult readers can enjoy this one as well. This book focusses on Georgiana Darcy ( the infamous and unjustly looked over younger sister) and makes her the main character. She is the opposite of her famous older brother…and it is hard to live up to those standards…so she doesn’t even try. A huge mistake brings Darcy back to upstate NY to help keep Georgie out of “trouble” during her “probation”. Their relationship is imperfect, difficult at times, but the reader can see that both siblings care for one another. This ultimately is a story about second chances, forgiveness, love, family, friends, and the age-old growing up and finding oneself and who/what really matters in life.

I loved the character cast. There are the classic characters: The Darcys, Lizzie, evil Wickham, and also new characters: Avery, Emily…. I liked the blend of old and new. It balances quite nicely. I like the use of Pemberley…and also merging names of locations with locations used within the story. I also really liked the changes and progression of the Darcy siblings as the story continues on. Growth, maturity, realization, and personal changes really make these characters realistic, likable, and endearing. I also really liked the positive messages and the superb ending.

A great book!

5/5 stars

Thank you NG and Wednesday/St. Martin’s Press for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.

I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication on 7/26/22.
As much as I love Pride & Prejudice and the general story line, I was very put off by the immature and clueless Georgiana Darcy in this young adult retelling, at least at the start of the story.  Georgie was so stupid regarding Wickham, who was so clearly not worthy of her attentions, that it was beyond annoying.

On the other hand, I loved the updated touches the author added to the story, such as the descriptions of Pemberley Academy, Georgie’s hobby of writing fan fiction, and one of the reasons Wickham was such a cad.  It is not a spoiler to say, since we learn right at the beginning, that Wickham was dealing Adderall out of Georgie’s dorm room.

But Georgie’s big brother Fitz is a delight, as are his reactions to Lizzie Bennet.  And Georgie eventually sees the light, as we know from the original.  And of course, picturing Colin Firth while reading always helps one warm up to Darcy.

Other reviews have been more positive - perhaps I just chose not to remember how stupid I myself was at Georgie’s age, and prefer to think instead that she was extraordinarily so.
Pride and Prejudice will always be one of my all time favorite classic books. I was so excited to read this galley of Accomplished

The Pemberly boarding school element was the best! I loved how the key elements of Georgiana’s story were taken and adapted into a YA novel. This one has romance, but it is contemporary fiction with a side of love.

I didn’t love her relationship with Darcy. It felt really unhealthy. It needed more. It developed in a way that was good until the end and it all just wrapped up too quickly. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but I just wasn’t a fan of that or how Elizabeth was thrust into the story.

The themes of growing up, being responsible for your own actions, and learning from your mistakes were amazing. However, I wanted more romance and more from Darcy and Georgiana’s relationship.
★ ★ ★/5
🔥/

Instagram:
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/4326069501
BookBub:
*****5 Stars!

“His love for you is so sharp it makes him bleed, sometimes.”

First I would like to thank St. Marin’s Press and NetGalley for allowing me to read an arc of this book. I am honored to have been given the chance to read it and give an honest review.

Accomplished is the story of Georgiana Darcy, a student at Pemberley Academy and it is no secret that she should have been expelled after a certain incident with Wickham Foster last year. Though being a Darcy she was able to escape expulsion, but that does not mean she could easily escape the disappointment of her most esteemed older brother, Fitz Darcy nor the scorn of the entire school and surely not Wickham’s influence. Georgiana has returned to Pemberley Academy for her junior year with a need to prove to everyone--Fitz, Wickham, her former friends and perhaps even herself--that she is so much more than just an embarrassment to the family.

Truly how hard could it be to become the perfect Darcy? With a complicated plan and the help of her fellow bandmate, Avery, and matchmaking ideas straight from her favorite fanfics everything starts to slowly come together. She is determined to see her plans come through, but the weight of the Darcy name is heavier to shoulder than expected. Will she be able to find a way before she loses everything permanently--including the one guy who sees her for who she really is?

This book was an absolute delight to read! Accomplished is by far one of the best Pride and Prejudice retellings I’ve come across, not only was the story original and engaging but Georgie was a character I found to be very relatable. There were so many wonderful points in this book, my favorite being the exploration of Georgie and Fitz’s relationship. I love being able to see their relationship open up especially in a modern setting and after the damage Wickham had caused to that close-knit relationship. I also enjoyed the emphasis on how heavy the Darcy name rested on her shoulders, surely it could not have been easy coming from a proud and prestigious family as well as being known as an outcast. I found it very interesting to see Georgie’s struggle with her family name and how she managed to cope with it. It is proven in the end, being true authentic self is the only thing that matters, regardless of where you come from.

Another thing I really enjoyed about the book was the chemistry between Avery and Georgie, not only was their relationship very easy and supportive but it was also very genuine. I thought it was very sweet how Avery was quick to stand behind her despite everything that happened and became that support she so desperately needed, not to mention the way Avery accidentally found his way into one of her fanfic characters. That made my heart melt! It was such a sweet and profound gesture on Georgie's part!

I also enjoyed the small snippets of Fitz and Lizzie’s blooming relationship with one another, both characters were very well written and true to the original Pride and Prejudice. I absolutely adored everything about this charming book and it is one I would highly recommend to those who not only enjoy Jane Austen but very well written retellings as well! I am very much looking forward to reading whatever Amanda Quain comes up with next!
So, ridiculously good.

I have to admit that I am not a huge Pride and Prejudice fan....but I do love a good retelling.  Accomplished puts a spin on the original novel that I have never read before, and I will certainly reread.  Admittedly, Jane Austen purist might not enjoy some of the changes made to the characters, but I ate it all up!

I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion.