Accomplished

A Georgie Darcy Novel

Pub Date 26 Jul 2022 | Archive Date 09 Aug 2022
St. Martin's Press, Wednesday Books

Georgiana Darcy gets the Pride & Prejudice retelling she deserves in Amanda Quain's Accomplished, a sparkling contemporary YA featuring a healthy dose of marching band romance, endless banter, and Charles Bingley as a ripped frat boy.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that Georgiana Darcy should have been expelled after The Incident with Wickham Foster last year – at least if you ask any of her Pemberley Academy classmates. She may have escaped expulsion because of her family name, but she didn’t escape the disappointment of her big brother Fitz, the scorn of the entire school, or, it turns out, Wickham’s influence.

But she’s back for her junior year, and she needs to prove to everyone – Fitz, Wickham, her former friends, and maybe even herself – that she’s more than just an embarrassment to the family name. How hard can it be to become the Perfect Darcy? All she has to do is:

- Rebuild her reputation with the marching band (even if it kills her)
- Forget about Wickham and his lies (no matter how tempting they still are), and
- Distract Fitz Darcy — helicopter-sibling extraordinaire — by getting him to fall in love with his classmate, Lizzie Bennet (this one might be difficult…)

Sure, it's a complicated plan, but so is being a Darcy. With the help of her fellow bandmate, Avery, matchmaking ideas lifted straight from her favorite fanfics, and a whole lot of pancakes, Georgie is going to see every one of her plans through. But when the weight of being the Perfect Darcy comes crashing down, Georgie will have to find her own way before she loses everything permanently—including the one guy who sees her for who she really is.

Accomplished: A Georgie Darcy Novel by Amanda Quain is an excellent Young Adult book that takes the classic Pride & Prejudice novel and gives it a modern, fresh, younger, and unique spin with its beloved characters. I really enjoyed this unique narrative. I am a huge fan of P&P, so I am very picky with what is done to my beloved characters. I really liked this one. It is definitely geared towards the upper teen/young adult audience, but adult readers can enjoy this one as well. This book focusses on Georgiana Darcy ( the infamous and unjustly looked over younger sister) and makes her the main character. She is the opposite of her famous older brother…and it is hard to live up to those standards…so she doesn’t even try. A huge mistake brings Darcy back to upstate NY to help keep Georgie out of “trouble” during her “probation”. Their relationship is imperfect, difficult at times, but the reader can see that both siblings care for one another. This ultimately is a story about second chances, forgiveness, love, family, friends, and the age-old growing up and finding oneself and who/what really matters in life. I loved the character cast. There are the classic characters: The Darcys, Lizzie, evil Wickham, and also new characters: Avery, Emily…. I liked the blend of old and new. It balances quite nicely. I like the use of Pemberley…and also merging names of locations with locations used within the story. I also really liked the changes and progression of the Darcy siblings as the story continues on. Growth, maturity, realization, and personal changes really make these characters realistic, likable, and endearing. I also really liked the positive messages and the superb ending. A great book! 5/5 stars Thank you NG and Wednesday/St. Martin’s Press for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion. I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication on 7/26/22.

Pride and Prejudice adaptation? I'm there. This was a really fun YA retelling of P&P with Georgiana Darcy as the main character. It will be a hit with Jane Austen fans, but will also appeal to YA readers who aren't as familiar with the Austen classics.

Thank you so much, NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for reaching out to me and letting me read and review this book. Cannot wait to see how it does. This book was amazing. Seriously so so good. Pride & Prejudice is one of my favorite books, the og enemies to lovers if you will. But, I don’t usually go for retellings of it because they just tend to be kind of a rehash of the original book. This book however was so amazing at being its own thing. I am so excited to see what Amanda Quain writes next and I cannot wait for this book to come out so that I can get my hands on it and re-read it again.

Accomplished by Amanda Quain can only be read compulsively in one sitting. No, seriously, I finished the entire book in one sitting. Accomplished is a new take on Jane Austen's classic Pride and Prejudice, told through the eyes of Georgie Darcy, Mr. Darcy's younger sister. Georgie, a junior at Pemberley Academy, is trying to recover from a ruined reputation. A ghost from her past haunts her as she tries to adjust to the new school year and she feels the full weight of the Darcy name on her shoulders. As a die-hard Pride and Prejudice fan, I was excited to see a retelling following this character. In the source material, she is a compelling background character, but in Quain's novel, she becomes a fully developed protagonist. The take on the character is honest and heart-warming. It's impossible not to root for George as she navigates what it means to be a Darcy. There are plenty of cameos from our favorite protagonists as well. Darcy - or Fitz- as a grouchy but caring older brother, Wickham as the sleazeball he always is, and a frat-boy interpretation of Charles Bingley round out the supporting cast. Perhaps the most compelling element is how the source material and character is interpreted into a story about how it isn't our successes that determine our worth, but rather what we learn from failure. Accomplished is a book that makes you laugh and cry at the same time. With its high school setting and witty banter, the book will appeal to teens. I’d recommend it to people who enjoyed This May End Badly by Samantha Markum. Accomplished was an incredible read. I can’t wait to read it when it is released.

So, I was gifted this wondrous read by NetGalley in return for my review, which I am so ready to give! Cuz this book was just ssssoooooooo different than o could have guessed. I thought, “oh yeah, another P&P retelling…ok.” But no. Not that at all. It’s snarky and funny and super achy sad in parts and there’s fanfic and, well, marching band! I just loved it! 💜💜💜📚

Accomplished is one of the most delightful and lively contemporary YA I've read in a long time! I adored Georgie and Avery, they felt so real and complex. Synopsis makes this sound like a Pride & Prejudice retelling, but it's not. The names are an homage, but the plot is its own original thing, and I enjoyed it so much more for that! I will be first in line to see what Amanda Quain writes next! A special thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press & Wednesday Books for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This charming, sparklingly witty Pride and Prejudice retelling finally gives Georgiana Darcy her time to shine. Georgie Darcy is desperately trying to move past The Incident from last year involving a certain Wickham Foster, and she wants to redeem herself in the eyes of her perennially disappointed brother, Fitz. Georgie wants two things out of her junior year: for her brother to be proud of her and for Wickham to finally leave her alone. Embarking on her master plan and dragging her old friend Avery along for the ride, Georgie finds the solutions to her problems in rather unexpected places. I binge-read this novel in one sitting, just because it was the most addictive kind of fun. I loved that this Pride and Prejudice retelling put Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy, whose story has been done to death, to the side a little, and focused on Georgiana, who had a fascinating storyline in her own right. It is wonderful to watch Georgie grow as a character over the course of the novel, and to watch this girl who has been pushed aside by almost everyone stand up for herself and decide what she's worth. Georgie and Fitz are both just kids forced to grow up very fast, and they are simply trying their best, which is something that is really explored in the novel and adds a depth to it that really elevates the storyline. I absolutely love the way Charles Bingley and Lizzie Bennet are portrayed, and even though they only make brief appearances, they steal the scenes that they are in. Are spin-off novels in the cards? I can only hope. I highly recommend this novel to fans of young adult rom-coms filled with all your favorite tropes, but with a twist! Thank you so much to St. Martin's Press, Wednesday Books, and NetGalley for providing me with a free e-galley of this book in exchange for an honest review.