Cover Image: PLAYING DOCTOR; Part Two

PLAYING DOCTOR; Part Two

I received a copy of this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I requested this without realizing it was book 2. I downloaded book 2 and after finishing it, picked this one up.

I love books that give the inside look at different professions, especially when they can inject some humour into it to keep it from being too technical and boring. This was informative and fun, making it one of my favourite non-fiction books in a while. I also had no idea how hard it was to complete medical school and residency. I appreciate doctors that much more.

I hope he writes another book!
A big fan of this type of book so it took me no time at all to finish this over the weekend highly recommended for any fans of this genre it was a really great read

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Great read!  Really enjoyed it and actually felt like I was in residency while reading the book.  Preferred part two over part one.
An enjoyable read. It was quite funny and lighthearted in places, and discussed the emotional scenarios in a good way.
This is the first book I have read in the series, never having the chance to read part one - but it was easy to get into, and quite a light and amusing read.  It will make you understand more about what it's like to be a doctor, so a good read for anyone interested in true medical stories, or anyone thinking of joining the medical profession.
I felt as if I needed a medical degree  and I only read the first few pages.  Sorry, not my cup of tea  However, I am sure it is a great book and others will enjoy it.
I think the theme throughout this book is the good humor and caring for his patients that Dr. John Lawrence has carried throughout his career. The exploration of the American Health Care system is absorbing, and brings a lot of questions to attention.
This is book number 2 of what appears to be at least a trilogy of the authors time going through medical school and residency. The first 70% of this book covers the author's first year in residency or may commonly known as an intern and covers usually what amounts a month at a time in various medical fields to give him a well round education to practice family medicine. This will cover various patients that he encountered and task or experiences that place in the medical field. Some of these stories are on the sad side but overall this is a good read and I definitely will be back for book number 3 along with wanting to find out if he continues to be a bad bike rider, how he continues to deal with the overwhelming hours and fatigue. Just a not you do not have to read the first book to read this one but in my opinion you get a better overall view of the author's story. Thank you to Netgalley and BookGoSocial for an ARC for a fair and honest review.
I did not realize that this was a book about the American health system until I started to read it. Being British, there is no discussion of paying for health care and the referral system is different. However some things remain unchanged, the dark humour amongst staff, to some extent the hierarchy and the refusals of some patients to take responsibilities for the outcomes of their health choices. I don't get that an intern has to write notes for a patient they have never even seen ....
I liked John,his attitude to health care and it comes over in the book that he obviously cares about his patients. The book is written lightheartedly but with underlying messages. Some of the political statements pass me by, being unfamiliar with the US health care system. The lack of sleep for a junior doctor is sadly familiar .
All in all, I enjoyed this read . Thank you to Net Galley for the ARC
Found this book to be a little bit 'below' par when compared to other 'junior doctor' memoirs - of which hundreds exist and I've read quite a few.
It was vaguely entertaining but just felt lacking in any real emotions - humour, sadness, anything really. The author had a chance to visit so many different rotations and hospital sectors but just didn't give us any real insight into any one. He came close to creating some depth with one obs and gynae story but everything else was very bland
I did not find this book easy to follow or if any particular interest. Being a doctor myself, I did not find a reason to want to read
very funny and yet also very sad. We follow the second year for John as a resident in his various departments. We see how easy it is for a life of an unborn baby to be lost as well as how actually getting a few hours off in a week makes the week seem like a good one. The pressure doctors are under as they train is horrendous and John Lawrence makes the job seem mostly worthwhile whilst also making us laugh and groan as the reality sets in. The fight to do a good job is all clear - the highlight is obviously Winston the dog. The highlight is always a dog!!
I loved this book. Many of the anecdotes are humorous and a couple are laugh-out-loud funny. The pacing is great and once I started the book, I couldn’t put it down. The book is a great stand-alone, as I hadn’t read the first book of the series, but I don’t feel that I lost any enjoyment of the second book because of it. I loved the use of sarcasm and humor, not because it was funny, but because I found it an excellent way of better understanding Dr. Lawrence. I also found the book highly informative. Indeed, based on the book, I would trust Dr. Lawrence with my life and would love to have coffee or beer with him. I look forward to reading about more of Dr. Lawrence’s adventures. Thank you to Netgalley and BooksGoSocial for the advance reader copy.
Playing Doctor: Part Two: Residency is a medical memoir full of laugh-out-loud tales, born from chaotic, disjointed, and frightening nights on hospital wards during John Lawrence’s medical training and time as a junior doctor.

This is an easy, fun, laugh out loud - Adam Kay style book. As a nurse, I resonated well with the stories and laughed out loud. I sympathise with the author in some of his stories. Overall, a good, pleasant and easy read.

This is a first for me by the author and one I enjoyed and would read more of their work. The book cover is eye-catching and appealing and would spark my interest if in a bookshop. Thank you very much to the author, publisher and Netgalley for this ARC.

3.5/5.
A fun, uncomplicated memoir of the doctor's memories of residency. I didn't read his first book, but don't think it should impact much on this story.
Amidst the funny stories are also stories that make one pause to consider.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me to read this book
I couldn't get into this book - it may have been because it was American, so different to English medicine. I may read some of the others in the series that deal with different medical departments.
If you think that doctors are all about blood, guts, and gore, you would quickly find that you were wrong after reading this book. Maintaining their sanity after unruly patients and difficult to work with nurses and staff is only part of the problem. This is a wonderful, yet sometimes funny read.
John Lawrence continues documenting his journey to becoming a doctor in "Residency: Blundering along with imposter syndrome." After his first part (which I also read) discussed his time in medical school, this tracks his first two of three years that he needs to complete his family practice residency. The bulk is about his first year- the internship, where baby doctors are thrown to the wolves and have a very steep learning curve. Even though his residency is considered less intense than many, it is still a struggle (the lack of money, sleep, time, etc). He discusses his time across many rotations such a high risk obstetrics, rural health, surgery, pediatrics, and radiology among others. One gets a good idea of what is required to get through residency. What strikes me about his particular experiences is he does not seem to really want to be a doctor. He comes from a liberal arts background before going to medical school and has a passion to write and act. He states multiple times throughout this book he planned to just finish his internship and then drop out. It just does not make sense to me, and also appears to engage in some pretty hazardous activities (which is a common thread across both books). It is still informational to read, but I cannot quite figure out what his passion is, as when he talks about his patients and healthcare, he does not seem to be all that happy and caring. Part 3 about being the chief resident will be the next volume.

Thank you to NetGalley for this advance reader copy in exchange for honest review.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing this book in exchange for an honest review.
I enjoyed Medical School, which was part one so I was excited to continue with part two. The author's sense of humor and self deprecating humor make this a fun book to read. He really tells the Residency experience well, as he did in Medical School. It's amazing what these doctors in training have to go through and a wonder that so many people accomplish the whole process without giving up entirely.
I'm looking forward to Part Three!
Thank you #Netgalley for the advanced copy!

I had read Playing Doctor Part 1 and was excited to get an early copy of part 2.  I love John's perspective and his honesty as he describes his experiences during residency.  It is so interesting to learn about the different rotations, especially the hours and how they are treated. I don't know how these doctors survive on so little sleep! I love that John shares the highs and lows and how he got by during the difficult months.  The variety of what they learn seems so overwhelming.  I appreciate that he puts in the personal stories, from the difficult OB cases to the comatose patients in the ICU.  Family practice touches so many patient populations.  Can't wait for the next installment!