Cover Image: Find Your People

Find Your People

Both inspiring and convicting, I really appreciated this book coming in to my life.  Will definitely be referring back to this book, along with recommending to friends .. both new, old, and those I have yet to meet.

Please note that I did receive a pre-release e-copy from publishers to read.  My review is based on what I read.
Allen highlights an ever increasing issue for first world humans: a lack of genuine connection with others. Interestingly, the various stats that Allen usefully supplies throughout the book reflect all genders but we men perhaps struggle more as regards developing close relationships often as a result of one key reason: we don't want it enough. Strong relationships are often viewed as an add on to a successful life, not an essential ingredient as career and significance are valued more highly even in the church community.

There are so many good ideas presented in the book as to how to build deep community irrespective of gender and for that reason alone it is a very good read. Yes, some of the suggestions will work better for women and there will be others that Allen hasn't;t included that would work better for men but there's something in this book for everyone.

As Allen outlines loneliness and lack of deep connections in the church are really inhibiting the church's impact in the world and is a reflection of church falling short in our living out the gospel and following in Jesus' footsteps.

Like all Allen books, it's well researched, is Scripturally based, references the learnings from the past and the village-life of 3rd world nations and she shares her own failings and shortcomings regarding friendships. Allen is a self-described extrovert and many introverts may be a little intimated by her writing style as well as many of the ideas ("I couldn't do that!') but there are sufficient included here that everyone should be able to find one or two that will help.

Most of all though, I come away after finishing this book with a strong desire to do something about my own situation. To find my few that I can start to go deeper with knowing full well that it may take me many years to realise its fruit. It's about time I started.

I was fortunate to receive an early ebook copy from Watrebrook via NetGalley with no expectation of a favourable review.
An interesting read about how to navigate this tricky world and build or maintain lasting relationships which are the foundation for a successful life. I love that Jennie shares personal anecdotes from her own life to relate to her preachings and suggestions. She helps you feel confident in having authentic and genuine connections and reminds you to look inward to identify what you are giving out. I didn't love the religious aspect of the book, but I know that's Jennie's style.
It probably because of my high expectation, but I found this book quite disappointing. Well, maybe it just didn't vibe with introverts like me.
This one has some alright tips but up until the part I read. I couldn't finish this book. It was not really captivating for me.
This was just an Ok read in a very crowded market.  It's circulation is similar, my self help readers leave it on the shelf more often than not
This book came at the perfect time. We had moved 3 times in 18 months and coming out of covid I found it very hard to connect with people. Jennie makes it easy to just connect with people. I realized finding friends was a lot like dating. And not everyone will be your jam,  but when you find them you need to be real. Jennie’s writing style immediately draws you in and captivates you. She is hilarious and raw at the same time. This was my first time reading a book of hers and I loved it. Definitely recommend her books.
Allen has written another great book!  This book enlightens the reader on how to step boldly out of his/her comfort zone and make true friends that will walk along aside them in life.  Allen dicusses the biblical reasoning behind having true friends and the importance of doing life with others.

She discusses the obvious reasons that hold others back from investing in others and allowing others to see their true selves.  This book explains the importance of finding a small circle of friends that can see all parts of you; the good, the bad, and the ugly!

This book is a great read and challenges Christian believers to seek out others.  This book would be great for any small group or Bible study group.
Jennie Allen is great at inspiring women through her books. I have read several of her books and she will continue to be on my go to author when searching for Bible study group books.
I have read previous books by Jennie Allen and was looking forward to this read. I do enjoy her writing style. The premise sounded great and was excited to learn about cultivating deeper friendships, however I don’t feel I gained as much as I wanted to from this book. My biggest takeaways were to invest my time in Jesus and to invest more time in friendships, going through the deeper conversation topics that people normally steer clear of. It felt like both of those things were reiterated continuously and could have been covered in 1 chapter rather than an entire book.

Thank you for allowing me to read this one and to provide feedback.
I really enjoyed the idea of community and reinforcing our faith values. It’s important to find people who have similar morals but also will be supportive on your journey. The biblical verses were helpful to relate to real life now.
I had high hopes for this book, but sadly I was disappointed. This book provides a very extroverted and biblical point of view, one which did not resonate with me at all. It was easy to read through, but I think it could have been executed much better.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
2/5 stars.
Trigger warning: Heavy biblical references throughout.

'Find Your People' provides the steps to put yourself out there and cultivate deep friendships.

Using the author’s experiences and a biblical foundation readers are invited to commence the challenging journey ahead to find your inner circle of 2-5 close friends.

For anyone that isn’t a Christian and doesn’t have children, I recommend reading this with an open mind, because 3 out of 5 American adults are lonely and fostering community is the solution.

Big thank you to Jennie Allen and Netgalley for the eARC.
I genuinely enjoyed this book. In a time in my life where friends have come and gone, it was an eye opener for me. With technology being very important in most peoples lives, it's hard to find and connect to people. It was very eye opening to re-create a sense of community with the people who are around you.
Community is something that has suffered greatly since technology and sometimes I can be so hard to feel connected to people through that. We no longer need each other when we can do everything from the tap of our phones.  That’s probably why we are all so lonely. I love that Jennie talks about how important community is and that sometimes we do need each other and I’ve come to learn that in my real life. I love everything she said here and it is relevant to Christian / non Christian’s.
There was a lot of practical advice given and action steps towards cultivating deeper relationships.  Allen makes a compelling case for changing the way we think about our friendships and being willing to commit to the hard, awkward missteps in pursuit of the healthy good that takes time to develop. The final chapters got repetitive as they seemed to mainly summarize what had already been addressed earlier in the book. I was uncomfortable with the author's references to codependency and compassion fatigue. They were oversimplified to the point where they didn't feel like an accurate representation of what those terms actually mean.
A great perspectives on some real but tough to navigate situations! Will keep this book on hand to revisit.
Thank you WaterBrook Multnomah and NetGalley for the ARC of Find Your People by Jennie Allen in exchange for my honest review.  I ended up not only reading this book but participating in the book study with my women's church group.  Both are fantastic! I love that Allen is completely transparent with all of her flaws.  It makes us feel better about our own and a little more comfortable opening up to others.  Allen makes it easy to identify with her because she knows what fears we all have and gives us the tools we need to Find Our People so that we can live the way God intended.
I am not the target audience for this book, but I feel that people who are on their own Christian journeys or appreciate biblical style self help books will love it.

Really appreciate the opportunity to read it.
I loved this book! For the last 12 weeks I have been reading and discussing this with some close friends. This has been such a healing read for me after the last couple years. This is a book I would buy and highlight and go back to again and again.