Cover Image: Find Your People

Find Your People

I was really disappointed with this book. The book itself is fine, no major flaws. For some reason though I was expecting a more applicable type of book with some science and referencing, but this is more of an anecdotal type book. I also wasn’t expecting the book to be so heavy on religious sentiments. Overall not a bad read, just not exactly as described and not for me.
Bestselling author Jennie Allen delves into the problem of loneliness that plagues us in modern times, especially during times of strife and pandemic. She shares the panic she felt when realizing that in the midst of her "busyness," she had let relationships with friends and relatives languish. Her advice for building community is rooted in her Christian beliefs, which may not resonate with all readers. All in all, a sincere effort with advice that may benefit readers open to Allen's Christian worldview.

Full Disclosure--NetGalley and the publisher provided me with a digital ARC of this book. This is my honest review.
Jennie Allen is an author who writes the books she needs to hear, just as much as her readers. This is such a unique quality because it means that she comes from a place of love and vulnerability.

After moving to a new state and immediately going into quarantine, these past few years have been incredibly lonely. Staying in contact with friends and family was and has been difficult for many reasons. As a result, I have seen negative effects mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

When I saw that Jennie had a new book out on friendship, I knew it was a God send. Finding Your People: Building Deep Community in a Lonely World combined real life experiences, scientific research, and Biblical truths that helped me navigate my emotions. She managed to highlight areas in my life that I needed to make changes, in order to establish a new community where the Lord has planted me.

Jennie does a great job at owning her imperfections and laying out her own failures for the world to see. She is willing to walk alongside you, as you put into practice applications for finding and being a better friend.

So if you are struggling to find meaningful connection in the world, I highly recommend reading this book!

Special thanks to NetGalley.com and Water Brook & Multnomah for allowing me to read this book in exchange for my honest feedback.
In Find Your People, Jennie Allen knocks it out of the park. She’s honest, vulnerable, and encouraging, but she also gives it to you straight. The truth is, we can’t find friends if we don’t actively pursue friendship. This book gave me the kick in the pants I needed, but also the permission I needed to go deep with people. Yes, it will be awkward and, yes, you will get hurt sometimes. But the end result is so worth it.

I really appreciated that Jennie bases the majority of her information on Scripture and how God intended for relationships to be. I wish I had read this book 20 years ago, because I see now how I’ve failed in many of my relationships. But, the great news is that it’s never too late to start and I have a fresh outlook on friendship and the type of friend I need to be. I highly recommend this book if you’re feeling lonely and looking for YOUR people, like so many of us are.

(I received an ARC of this book from the publisher - Waterbook & Multnomah - in exchange for my honest opinion. However, I also purchased a hard copy of the book as well. All of the above opinions are entirely my own.)

#findyourpeople
I have only seen Jennie's work through the IF:Gathering so this was my first personal encounter with her work. Find Your People is about what it takes to create "a village" community. It's about trying to find and build real deep friendships. The book is filled with personal stories about Jeannie's highs and lows in gaining, keeping, and losing friends. The books biggest strength is its focus on application. The chapters had detailed helpful guides on ways to build community. The book was more than just stories and even examples. There are real and applicable suggestions on ways to make those deep friendships come to life. Jennie's style of writing is very personal. Most pages feel as though she's sitting and speaking with you instead of writing a book. I love her focus on scripture and her anthropological global approach to community. I would have loved to see more references to the great Christian writers before her who spoke theologically on friendships, but I understand her decision to focus more on her experiences. Find Your People is needed in today's world. It's easy to read and practically helpful. I read a digital ARC of this book via Net Galley.
Wow, when I picked up the book I did not realize the extent to which it would involve God and Jesus, and ultimately it was too distracting for me. This is clearly a self-help book, it doesn't need to be literary genius, but even within the first chapter I was irked by format. There are unending rhetorical questions, lines bolded to hit you over the head with the point, bullet points galore, and a cheery writing style that just felt juvenile. Did not enjoy, at all, and again the religious aspect was not widely publicized to ward me off. DNF'd 10%
HIGHLY recommend this book if you've ever struggled with loneliness or like you just aren't connecting with others. The author's vulnerability helps you (us) dive into the deep and experience community. We cannot do anything worthwhile alone.
This book is a non-fiction and very Christian read. I enjoyed reading this book and being given the various tasks to “find my people”. However I found that a lot of the times the religious aspect of this book kind of took away from it or went off track a number of times. I wouldn’t re-read, but if you’re someone who finds yourself detached from friends and a good support system then maybe this book is right for you!
This book had good tips on how to find and build your tribe. If you identify with Christian faith and are an extrovert, then this book is definitely for you. If you identify as an Introvert and are of another faith or no faith, you may find this book hard to get through. I fall into the later category but I still felt the author offered really good insights and tips on how to build and/or strengthen your friendships.

I think this pandemic has given most of us pause to reflect on our current life and what we'd like to shift or create in our future.  I realized that building a strong community is very important to me.  Although, I do have really good friends and family, it was time to invite new friendships into my life and build a stronger community with shared interests.   The author had really good tips on how to create that.  She also had good insights on how to build more intimacy in your relationships.  Some of her stories/tips really hit home with me and for that I am incredibly grateful.  If you are in transition in your life and/or looking to build a stronger community, this book is for you, too.

I'd like to thank NetGalley and the author for the opportunity to obtain a free e-copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
I'm so glad Jennie wrote this book! She addresses the hard stuff with friendships - the things that make you want to abandon ship but she helps you learn how to stay. Her writing made me aware of all the different types of friends you need. I highlighted so much that I'd like to come back to. I think this would make a great small group study.
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for this copy.
This book show us about the struggle of trying to find your people.
Has many great lessons about how to build community and the way we are approaching friendship.
A surprisingly helpful read! Sometimes when you pick up a self-help book, the tips and tricks inside don’t end up feeling relatable or applicable to your situation or life, but Jennie does a great job of really giving great reasoning for her actionable steps to “find your people”.
I found it incredibly relatable and inspiring!
I enjoyed this book. It really helped me learn a lot. I feel like a better person for reading, which was kinda the point!
We were lonely before the pandemic and the pandemic certainty didn't help things. I have moved out of state several times in the last couple of years and have experienced the loneliness she discusses. I love the ideas she presented about friendship and how to grow deeper in friendships.
I found this book so incredible helpful! It gave tips for how to reach out and build relationships. How everyone is longing for those few deep connections. It gave good advice on how to not let toxic relations and the past bring you down. How to focus and build community around you. It was so uplifting and encouraging. #findyourpoeple #netgalley
Lonely. It’s a word we have all related to at one point or another in our lives. Technology (and a pandemic) has made it easier to isolate ourselves and connect via the internet instead of face to face. As we grow older and enter different stages in our lives, it’s harder to find those friends you can call up any time of day or night when you need something. Those friends you can pour your heart out to who will sit and listen then pray with you.

In Find Your People, Jennie Allen challenges readers to sow and tend friendships. To find women in your circles with whom you can connect with. She uses Biblical examples of community and delves into five concepts (proximity, transparency, accountability, consistency, and shared mission) which will strengthen your relationships with others.

If you want a deeper dive, the workbook offers projects that will make you think and challenge you. This is also a great study to do with a small group of women. I’ve been convicted, I’ve been challenged, and I’m working on finding more of my people.

Disclosure statement: I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book and was not required to write a positive review. All opinions are my own.
I love Jennie Allen’s podcast, but I felt like this book was subpar. Though I don’t feel I had a true connection to the topic going into it, I feel like it didn’t give much tangible help in building a community and “finding your people” as it claims to do. There was also a lack of scripture and much opinion/experience based writing that I felt was not as relatable.

Thank you to NetGalley and WaterBrook & Multnomah for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Thank you PRH Audio for the complimentary audiobook.

Overall I liked this book. Its main message is how to build a village of people around you to help you through life. And all Jennie's ideas are great in theory, but in practice I find some of her applications unrealistic, which is ironic because we both live in the Dallas metroplex. Part of her message is to close in your geographic circle of friends to have people who are physically close to you. And while that is the dream, it's just not always reality as much as we would all want it to be. Plus Jennie is a social person with a job that makes many of her coworkers her friends. That being said, I liked the message that intentionality, authenticity, humility, and gumption are all necessary pieces that you need to form quality friendships. I think this book could have been greatly improved by the inclusion of stories other than Jennie's to show how a wide range of people begin and cultivate friendships. Otherwise all the examples she gives really only work best for people like her.
Wow!! What a book and boy do we need it!
This book plops into our lives after one of the most isolating, debilitating, and lonely times of our history….Covid!! While some people liked staying home and being hunkered down, Covid was absolutely awful and incredibly lonely for me. Not only was it isolating, but Covid put a line in the sand for who was with you and part of your team and who fell by the wayside. In some ways this was for the best and others it was quite sad. This books ask us to get back our there, put ourselves out there and to find our people and to also strengthen our relationships with our current friends.

Through scripture, her own personal friendship heartbreak, and friendship successes, Jennie gives us ways on how we can build our village and find our inner circle. In our village we need around 50 people whom we talk to kids events, carpool with, people we work with, etc. and we need an inner circle of 2-5 people. These 2-5 know us in and out. They know when we are having a good day and when things are a complete disaster! They pick you up with words of affirmation or dragging you out of the house when you don’t want to go and also can tell you when you are being a complete idiot, but still love you unconditionally. In your inner circle you are completely and truly yourself!

Throughout the book, Jennie talks about how other places in the world live more communally. They have different roles, but all help out with the cooking, cleaning, errand running, watching the kids, etc. There is always someone around to chat with or lend a helping hand. I have said this since I left college, that living in an environment like this would be my idea of a dream!

There is so much more I could say about this book (but not enough characters🤪) and how amazing it is. It’s been a long time since a book has made me laugh, made me cry, kicked me in the guts, made my heart hurt, and made me feel hopeful. To the people who are in my inner circle….thank you for seeing me, thank you for making me better, thank you for always being there for me, thank you for making me laugh, and thank you for being you! Life is truly special with you by my side!

Rating- HIGHLY RECOMMEND ❤️
Thank you so much to NetGalley and Waterbrook Multnomah for my copy of Find Your People by Jennie Allen and exchange for an honest review. It published February 22, 2022.
I think everyone should read this book. I really enjoyed this book, and was very inspired by it. I want to share it with my book club, my friends, and family! I was so challenged by this book in the best possible way. I was also very encouraged by it and have even made some steps toward change and trying to put the books suggestions into action. I highly suggest this book to anyone who is interested in this topic.