Cover Image: Find Your People

Find Your People

Thank you PRH Audio for the complimentary audiobook.

Overall I liked this book. Its main message is how to build a village of people around you to help you through life. And all Jennie's ideas are great in theory, but in practice I find some of her applications unrealistic, which is ironic because we both live in the Dallas metroplex. Part of her message is to close in your geographic circle of friends to have people who are physically close to you. And while that is the dream, it's just not always reality as much as we would all want it to be. Plus Jennie is a social person with a job that makes many of her coworkers her friends. That being said, I liked the message that intentionality, authenticity, humility, and gumption are all necessary pieces that you need to form quality friendships. I think this book could have been greatly improved by the inclusion of stories other than Jennie's to show how a wide range of people begin and cultivate friendships. Otherwise all the examples she gives really only work best for people like her.
Wow!! What a book and boy do we need it!
This book plops into our lives after one of the most isolating, debilitating, and lonely times of our history….Covid!! While some people liked staying home and being hunkered down, Covid was absolutely awful and incredibly lonely for me. Not only was it isolating, but Covid put a line in the sand for who was with you and part of your team and who fell by the wayside. In some ways this was for the best and others it was quite sad. This books ask us to get back our there, put ourselves out there and to find our people and to also strengthen our relationships with our current friends.

Through scripture, her own personal friendship heartbreak, and friendship successes, Jennie gives us ways on how we can build our village and find our inner circle. In our village we need around 50 people whom we talk to kids events, carpool with, people we work with, etc. and we need an inner circle of 2-5 people. These 2-5 know us in and out. They know when we are having a good day and when things are a complete disaster! They pick you up with words of affirmation or dragging you out of the house when you don’t want to go and also can tell you when you are being a complete idiot, but still love you unconditionally. In your inner circle you are completely and truly yourself!

Throughout the book, Jennie talks about how other places in the world live more communally. They have different roles, but all help out with the cooking, cleaning, errand running, watching the kids, etc. There is always someone around to chat with or lend a helping hand. I have said this since I left college, that living in an environment like this would be my idea of a dream!

There is so much more I could say about this book (but not enough characters🤪) and how amazing it is. It’s been a long time since a book has made me laugh, made me cry, kicked me in the guts, made my heart hurt, and made me feel hopeful. To the people who are in my inner circle….thank you for seeing me, thank you for making me better, thank you for always being there for me, thank you for making me laugh, and thank you for being you! Life is truly special with you by my side!

Rating- HIGHLY RECOMMEND ❤️
Thank you so much to NetGalley and Waterbrook Multnomah for my copy of Find Your People by Jennie Allen and exchange for an honest review. It published February 22, 2022.
I think everyone should read this book. I really enjoyed this book, and was very inspired by it. I want to share it with my book club, my friends, and family! I was so challenged by this book in the best possible way. I was also very encouraged by it and have even made some steps toward change and trying to put the books suggestions into action. I highly suggest this book to anyone who is interested in this topic.
This is a wonderful book with lots of guidance on finding and making friends. Jennie Allen shares from her personal experiences  and need to make lasting friendships in life. The book can be used as a bible study  with a book club kit and videos available. I really enjoyed reading the book and have begun to use many of the suggestions included. I am working through the study guide.  I have also read several other books by this author and have found them useful and informative. I enjoy her style of writing. She give practical examples from real life so you can feel how things work. Her dedication to help christian women grow in their service to God is amazing.
I will start by saying that Jennie is the type of person you want as your BFF and I adore her writing :)

We all desire a sense of community but one that loves us as we are, supports us in ups and downs and helps us grow. Presented with a biblical and spiritual perspective, Find Your People is an amazing read!
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.  I didn’t realize this book was Christian book that was my own fault for not fully reading the description correctly but once I started it I was fully committed.  I ended up loving all the advice on how to do friendship better and how the author actually used personal experience.  I think this book can help you to build new friendships and better the ones you have.
Wow. Did I just binge this in a day and highlight half the book? Yes. Is this is an absolutely wonderful  book for any Christian? Yes. Jennie Allen absolutely nailed it with this book and my entire outlook on friendships has been revitalized and I am ready to be the initiator for the few close friendships I can have. Thank you Jennie for writing  this book and making it so that we know that we are not really alone and can find close relationship when we believe in God‘s model.

Thank you to WaterBrook & Multnomah for the gifted ARC.
Jennie’s last book Get Out of My Head set a high bar for her writing. This book reminded me in part why I read her writing. But didn’t quite match the empowerment and growth I had with Get Out of My Head. This topic from the get-go suggests a problem to solve of a different less intense or focused problem. And having heard her stories of how her friends have showed up for her in different life seasons I get why others wonder if she even needs more people.

This book for me also didn’t hook me from the start as much. But I am very glad that I pushed on, and would encourage believers who feel disconnected from people or like an island to read this book.

She speaks the hard truth of how every woman needs a few people that are in her life. Every couple needs a tribe. Not a huge one. But the handful of people that are in your hard with you. Who pray for you, cry with you, like you are their family.

This is gospel living. This is how we need to be in community and this is how we are equipped to reach others. Joined with others helping us in the joys and struggles.

Happy to read and review a net galley edition.
How do you begin to build community? Where do you start? Why is it important to get connected anyway? This author bears her soul and shares how they started over in another town in Texas. What it was like to start over in a new home, faraway from friends. I liked how she gives readers a step-by-step way to pursue real, vulnerable, true friendships. It’s not easy but well worth the time and effort.

I liked what the author says about social media and being connected online is at an all-time high, “it’s amazing that we are still feeling lonely and misunderstood. We crave connection, community, genuine friendship to feel safe, be known, and be seen.”

I liked how the author gives tangible ways to connect and create community. The author gives examples of what this can look like, and encourages readers to do the hard things, and have the awkward conversations that are necessary to create community and make the necessary connections that will build community.

I enjoyed this authors relatable, practical approach of how to begin at creating a community. At the end of several chapters, Jennie includes a bunch of ideas that can be used to develop deeper connections with old or new friends alike, this is a great resource.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I have received a complimentary copy of this book by the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins!
The Book Club Network blog www.bookfun.org
Unfortunately I did not realize this book was categorized as Christian when I requested it, so I am not the intended audience!
Jennie Allen has written one of my all time favorite books, so she is always a pre-order author for me. Find Your People is another out of the park book. Consider this book Friend Making 101; not only the how to buy the WHY. In a world that is over connected but also overly lonely, Allen digs in and parses out why building and maintaining community is so vitally important. While this book is written with a Christian world view, and isn't shy about it, the principles and action steps can (and should) be taken by anyone. This is how we live together instead of living alone.
I received a copy of this book digitally via NetGalley. I read and reviewed this book voluntarily, and all opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own. The author also reads the audiobook, and I would recommend this in either audio or print.
This was a great book to start thinking outside the box in regards to relationships and how you putting the effort in is sometimes all it takes. In a world recovering from Covid and living isolated it’s hard to put yourself back out there, but Jeannie Allen did it again. She brings it all together like she always does in her books.  This is written great with awesome ideas!

Thankyou Netgalley for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange for a honest review.

This book is nice for people who want to improve interpersonal communication skills .

I was skeptical about this when I started this book when suddenly it started becoming spiritual.

Anyways I felt this book is apt in this world when people don't have time to talk to each other.

A must read for introverts like me
“In a world that’s both more connected and more isolating than ever before, we’re often tempted to do life alone.”

While I am not religious, I found this book to feel like a comforting blanket draped over the shoulders, while a warm beverage of choice was thrust into my hands, and a soothing hand gently rubbed my back.

Jennie Allen has a way of speaking to her audience that calls to being heard, seen, and understood. Sure, her niche anecdotes spoke to an existence I’m not at all familiar with (motherhood, Christianity, married life, being an Adult-adult), but on the grander scale of generality, she shared some insight and wisdom, such as the necessity and benefits of procuring and fostering deep friendships and community.

As a twenty-something who’s still trying to find and establish her place in the world, building and maintaining strong friendships of “my people” is something I think about constantly. Am I doing it right? Is there a right or wrong way to go about it? What constitutes a friend vs. an acquaintance? Does this person I want to be my friend make me a better or worse version of myself? So, so, so many questions. The one that always trumps the deck is: It shouldn’t be this hard, should it? And Jennie Allen answers all of these questions above, but namely she answers the Big One, and it is: no, it shouldn’t be this hard. There are hard aspects of building and maintaining friendships that last and matter, but the immense difficulty we seem to face comes from a society that no longer fosters connectivity in the sense we seek. Our WiFi signals may be strong, but our relationships…not so much.

I would recommend this book to friends, family, and other readers who are looking to better ways to connect and interact. You do not have to be a Christian/religious to read this book, however note that there are many personal anecdotes from Allen that pertain to Christianity. (She in NO WAY tries to convert readers.)

Thank you to NetGalley and WaterBrook & Multnomah for providing me with an ARC of this book in return for an honest review.
Find Your People is marketed as a strategic book to help people find and keep their village. I struggled with how to review this one. For a small group of people, I think this book could be extremely helpful and exactly what they need to take those next steps. However, I don't think this book will hit the mark with people outside of that small group. First, this book is very religious. Nearly every piece of advice is tied back to the Bible and how Jesus is our guide to finding your village. I wish I had known how much religion would be tied into this book. It didn't hit home with me. In addition to that, this book is written for a privileged audience. Not everyone has the ability to put these action steps into their lives just based on their own circumstances. I would have appreciated a little more attention to ways that all people could incorporate this into their lives.

As an introvert, there were a few key takeaways from the book about putting myself out there and making an effort to build my village, but there weren't enough takeaways for me to recommend this book to others unless they fall into that small group I think would benefit from this group.

Thank you to NetGalley and WaterBrook & Multnomah for the ARC of this book.
Thanks so much to WaterBrook & Multnomah and Netgalley for the chance to read and review this book.

If you enjoyed her last book, Get Out of Your Head, you need to pick this one up!

Jennie devles into how to practically apply Biblical principles regarding friendship and community.

This book is chock full of easy and practical ways to foster new friendships and to deepen relationships with those already in your life.

Overall, an easy read that I will pick up again!

This book is out now!
I 100% agree that we need community. Love that Jennie pushes us to fight for whatever that looks like in our lives. Her advice is practical and she speaks from experience.
Find Your People by Jennie Allen is a beautiful book that encourages the reader to pursue friendships, to solve conflict instead of flee from it, to become more dependent on others and to let others be there for them. In her book, Jennie Allen gives real examples from her own life and encourages the reader through those -- and in everything, saying that making mistakes is not the end of it and we can all grow in our friendships. This is truly a wonderful book full of wisdom, and I would recommend this to everyone.
I didn't think I needed this book. I have friends and we go deep. But I still learned a lot about being honest, vulnerable and being needy. This book is about finding your "village", about doing life the way we were made to do life. Spoiler alert - it's with others! I enjoy Jennie Allen's conversational tone and loved the very practical suggestions she gives on how to meet and grow deeper with new friends,
This is a must-have resource to help one improve their relationships, resiliency, and live a more full and happy life. It is full of great strategies, advice, and easy to implement ideas. This is one I'll return to again and again. Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the advanced copy of the book.